Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BaconBeer Geek Bacon

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

(Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010)

1.48/5  rDev -61.3%

pours pitch black with a huge3 finger tan head that left spotted lacing

smells of you guessed it smoke but it also has a very funky medicinal notes

taste is awful - those funky camphor flavors are just too much and overpower all other flavors that should be there

mouthfeel is medium/light with tons of carbonation that gave it a fizzy feel

overall - this is a terrible tasting beer and is very pricey to boot - i would never buy or drink this beer again

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

1.83/5  rDev -52.1%

Trying to be open-minded here, but it's tough when I dislike a beer this strongly.

A: dark brown/black with plenty of tan head; sticky lace.

S: smells strongly of black Sharpie. Really. Smokey too, but it's mostly permanent marker in the nose.

T: smokey malts first, then bitter smokey wood which quickly turns medicinal and straight-up unpleasant. Guess it could be worse...?

M: fizzy, medium-bodied. Blah.

O: not my thing at all. Pretty sure this is my first Rauchbier and certainly my last for a long time. I looove Beer Geek Breakfast & Brunch (and most other Mikkellers), but this was just terrible. Hate to pour out craft beer, but the remaining ~80% of this bottle is headed down the drain.

Too smokey! First sip hits you wth that over smoked, burnt maltiness. The aftertaste is worse than the mouth feel, ill leAve this short bc i couldnt stand this one, im usually a huge mikkeller fan, but i was dissapointed with this brew. Overall... Not so good.

2.1/5  rDev -45%

Poured into a goblet, this beer looks pretty much like all the other breakfast beers, very dark, almost black but the lighting in this room isn't very good so it's hard to tell if its completely opaque. Otherwise it looks pretty appealing like most stouts do. The head is a dark tan color about two fingers thick with some decent hang time leaving some sticky lacing on the sides of my glass.

Whew, the aroma is pretty intense. I can barely make out any malt except for a hint of roasted barley and some peaty scotch malt like notes. Very slight coffee in the nose but over all it punches my nostrils with smoke, however, it doesn't smell a damn thing like bacon! How is this possible? Well, Because most bacon is smoked with hickory or apple-wood... not burning rubber and charcoal with loads of lighter fluid and liquid smoke like this beer smells. Bacon must suck in Denmark.

Taste, here goes: not super pleasant for me and i love smoked beers/rauchbiers. It tastes much like it smells, like licking a charcoal briquette laced with lighter fluid and diesel fuel. I'm also getting solvents and grain alcohol with slightly roasty, chocolatey, minor coffee undertones. Otherwise the coffee is almost completely lost. This beer is a little slick in the mouth and somehow just slightly on the thin side. Carbonation is medium which is one of only a few ways i can decipher this from a bottle of kerosene.

Finished this beer out of duty and price. My buddy bought it for us to try and it was eighteen dollars. Otherwise, drinkability isn't great. Still got love for mikkeller though. Just not this particular beer.

2.15/5  rDev -43.7%

Bottle shared generously by Richard last night.

A: The pour is a dark brown, nearly black color with a big tan head on it.

S: Smoke, salt, and more smoke. The bacon moniker is accurate, and that's not really a good thing.

T: I thought the nose was bacon like, but the flavor has a very salty and smokey flavor and there's a distinct meaty flavor. It's almost reminiscent of smoked almonds.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation on this beer is really weird. Almost grainy, but maybe that's just the salty flavor.

D: It seems some brewers just way overdo the smoke in these kinds of beers. While I enjoy some smoke flavor in certain beers (like a porter or stout), this was like sucking down the smoke of a campfire.

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Appearance:

Tonight I am going be using another new glass that was a gift from my wife, a Lost Abbey tumbler that is not only very functional but has a really neat square to circle design to it that is super sleek looking. I was pulling the beer out of the fridge and just took an extra second to read the label and I wanted to mention that I really like the ghost flames that are printed on the left hand side of the bottle, as well as the shabby drawn piece of bacon that wraps around most of the label. When I pulled the cap off there was a generous amount of hissing that came from the tall slender bottle followed by some carbonation gas that lingered. On the pour I decided to tilt the glass hard and return it to vertical as I poured slowly trying to not over do it on the head because I know my glass will not hold the full bottle. When I was done I was left with a huge three finger thick cocoa colored head that laid on top of the black inky looking ale. As I hold the glass up to the light there is absolutely no light passing through and this baby reeks of darkness and evil. As I gave the glass a final swirl I noticed there was a heavy amount of viscosity that stained the walls of my glass deep brown.

Smell:

Right out of the gate this baby is dominant with heavy peat smoked barley that doesn't resemble bacon at all but rather a heavy scotch. Copious amounts of rubbery plastic and ash are just overwhelming my nostrils and I will be honest I am a little intimidated to give this a taste. Some very faint chocolate undertones but pretty much this is smoky to its core and not much else is present.

Taste:

Pardon my language, but holy shit this taste terrible! The first thing that I think of is melted bike tires on top of some grain alcohol. On the palate this is very thin and lacking complexity and very one dimensional. Overwhelming amounts of smoke and ashy flavors overtake any form of the original beer geek breakfast base. Plastic and something that might resemble burnt coffee are trying to push through but again smoke is the name of the game here. I am trying my best to drink this and I got about five sips down and the nasty flavors are just lingering and getting worse and worse. I am heading right for the sink now to dump it down the drain.

Drinkability:

Overall this was a rough beer. I would say that this is going to be one of those ones you try and you are either going to love it or hate it and nothing in between. I will admit another slight downfall to many of Mikkeller's beers are that they come with a hefty price tag and this was no exception coming in at $14 but I really wanted to go out on a limb and give it a shot. If you are feeling daring or just want to try something really out of your normal this is just for you. Would I buy it again or would I possibly trade for it myself? Hell no, the tiny taste of the bottle was too much for me. But hey again that's why it is called a opinion and no one can judge you for your perception.

2.33/5  rDev -39%

Bottle split with wishuwerebeer and poured into a pub glass. This brew appears black in color with a finger of creamy tan head. Not much retention and patchy lace clings to the glass. Something quite ackward is evident in this brew as I started the pour and it got progressively worse. Plops and blubs of thick oily coagulated masses splashed into the glass while the bottle was still more than 3/4 full. Some of these masses seemed to dissolve but what remained in the glass was not pleasant looking. My initial reaction was fatty deposits of oil but perhaps this is gelatin?

The smell is roasty with a scent of dark grains mixed with coffee. The grain retains a fresh sweet quality despite the level of roast mixed with some oats and yeast. There is a solid smoked aspect that is very reminescent of campfire. This brew smells spot on and enjoyable, it is a shame that everything else about this brew is a train wreck.

The taste is roasted with a smoked flavor that seems pete'd. Coffee is ever present coupled with some yeastiness that is lightly dark and fruited. Some herbal hops are there along with a deep earthy flavor. Modestly bitter moreso from the roast of the malts than the inclusion of hops. The aftertaste is somewhat mineral-like that lasts in the mouth coupled with an herbal aspect.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The alcohol is well integrated. However, the biggest turnoff of this brew is how oily the feel is and the way it coats the mouth. The texture of coagulated mystery ingredient is absolutely repulsive as it slides down the back if the throat. My friend sharing in the experience drainpoured his share. I tried my best to finish mine but nearly threw up after entering the second half of my glass. Bad bottle or not, I will never drink this beer again.

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours like mud, black mud. Nice thick foamy tan head.

S - Smells like a smokey tire... Interesting. This is the most smokey brew I've ever smelt. Lots of smoke!!! It's really hard to get past all of the smoke. Maple too.

T - Tons of huge smoke. Overwhelming. Not much bacon flavor... Tons of chocolate.

M - Over carbonated. A bit too bitter.

O - Smokey brews are no longer on my "to buy" list... This one is way overwhelming. Too much smoke and not enough good eclectic flavors. Not worth hunting.

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Black as can be with a thick, almost pillowy, brown head that eventually leaves lines and dots of lacing down the glass. Gorgeous.

This beer does not have a good aroma. It was poor at the beginning, and even worse after significant warming. The only thing I could use to describe it was words like "plastic bags" and "burning plastic." There's a strong smoke element as well, but nothing combines particularly well.

The flavor is just a tad more successful, but really not by much. There's some roast and a ton of smoke, along with still more plastic.

Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

Do not want.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

On tap at Leon's Full Service. As the previous reviewer said, sold as "Rauch Beer Geek Breakfast," I think I'd like it to be Beek Geek Bacon better.

A-Poured thick and black, with little to no head when it hit my table, but a really nice looking caramel-brown lace covering the glass and top of the beer. Really looked fantastic.

S- Rich dark malts, coffee, bitter chocoate, and only the faintest hint of smoke.

T- Again, rich dark malts, coffee, and bitter chocolate. Barely a hint of smoke. Really disappointing. As much as Mikkeller loves doing big beers, I'm really disappointed by the lack of smoke. I was looking for something just nasty(in a good way) and it wasn't there.

M- Full bodied, lowly carbonated. Thick but not overbearing. An impressive body.

D- It's a good stout, but a failure as a rauch beer. I'd order this again if I was in the mood for a stout, but as far as the taste is concerned, this is a rauch beer in name only.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark black with a 2 finger mocha head

smell: bacon, smoke, malts, barley,

taste: bacon, smoke, funky plastic,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: I really wanted to like this beer. But some of the off flavors and smell turned me off.

Cheers,