Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BaconBeer Geek Bacon

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

(Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010)
djaeon

01-22-2012 22:37:44 | More by djaeon
abraxel

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 6, courtesy of mdfb79. Poured into a CBS snifter.

A - Pours crude-oil black, with explosive cinnamon head that filled this huge snifter to the brim. The head clings to the side, but slides down and doesn't leave lacing.

S - From a distance, it almost smells estery and fruity, but as soon as I lean in close, hoo boy, bacon! I have a guess what this is, but I'll keep it to myself for now. I'm looking for malty flavors under the thick, bacony smoke, but no dice. That's not necessarily a bad thing; the smoke is delicious and savory and sweet and meaty and makes me salivate.

T - Different from the smell... the smoke is still present, but not nearly as much, and I get some slightly bitter coffee and semisweet chocolate. The smoke blends well with the roastiness of the coffee and chocolate, and all three distinct forms of roastiness meld together nicely. Given the "bacon" emphasis in the aroma and in what I'm guessing the name is, though, I was expecting way more bacon flavor and/or smoke along the lines of a potent Aecht Schlenkerla.

M - Can I call it thin and thick at the same time? It has a moderately full body, but the carbonation pierces through it and makes it almost feel light on the tongue. It's an interesting combination, but I kinda find the carbonation annoying. I can't directly detect any alcohol at all, but it's got a shifty look in its eyes like I'm being lured into a trap.

Overall, this is tasty, but not mind-blowing. The nose was like whoa, but the beer was just good.

01-19-2012 00:06:08 | More by abraxel

kiki3drt292

01-10-2012 18:40:14 | More by kiki3drt292
trxxpaxxs

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Got this from 2beerornot2beer in the Blind Beer Round 6 BIF.
500ml. bottle poured into my Bells tulip:

A: Pours a pitch black with about one full finger of mocha colored foam. The head settles nicely in a decent amount of time without leaving much residue on the glass. There is some nice lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is sweet, smoky, and a little earthy. I’m also picking up some salt, chocolate, and meat notes. It smells great. This beer seems to be right in my wheelhouse.

T: The first hit is slightly sweet, with a big dose of smoke. The smoke notes follow through to the end and blend with a charcoal like taste. There is this bitter chalkiness to this beer. The finish is bitter with a touch of chocolate.

M: Full bodied beer. It starts off think and chalky, but finishes a bit smoother.

O: I like this beer. I’m not blown away, but its super interesting and I love all of the smoke and roast in this beer... Uggh, I just got a mouthful of little brown sludgy bits! Gross. I'm gonna have to bring it down a peg now.

01-10-2012 12:33:28 | More by trxxpaxxs

01-04-2012 12:55:29 | More by ohtheguilt
zoolzoo

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours dark brown, opaque, huge khaki head. Great retention, sticky lacing.

S: Smoke, of course. Woody, smoked meat. Some subtle hints of chocolate and coffee as well. The base beer is not completely masked.

T: Big smoke, but thankfully not a one trick pony. The base beer stands, smoke accentuates chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. The finish features a kiss of hops adding bitterness.

M: Thinner side of medium in body, carbonation is medium as well but falls off fast. I am enjoying this slightly less as the glass warms, actually. This beer needs to stay "crisp" in order to maintain drinkability, in my opinion. Not enough body to support warmer temps.

O: Excellent smoked beer. Great on its own or as a compliment to a hearty meal.

01-03-2012 23:42:29 | More by zoolzoo

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

12-26-2011 02:12:18 | More by pwoody11
dcloeren

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this one for breakfast at my familys christmas (eve) morning after opening gifts with pancakes, eggs and sausage.

Poured pitch black with two fingers of creamy mocha colored head. Decent retention... no lacing but has some nice legs.

The aroma of this beer is amazing. Decadent dark chocolate, dark fruits, coffee all blended together with a campfire like smoke. Possibly some molasses and some woody characteristics round out the subtleties on the back end.

Taste follows the nose. Very decadent and rich. The smoke makes for a nice touch on it as well, but I was expecting it to have more of a bacon effect and I'm not really picking up on it... very tasty outside of that "letdown"...

Medium to full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation to slightly prick my tongue with each sip. Drying dark chocolate aftertaste with a touch of smoke still on my tongue.

Overall, this was a very nice stout in my opinion. I would like to give West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago for recommending this to me. I would say I normally don't really enjoy Mikkeller's beers but this one was very solid. Beers like this make me want to see what else they have to offer.... Merry Christmas to me.

12-24-2011 15:42:33 | More by dcloeren

TasteTester

12-17-2011 01:52:54 | More by TasteTester
rtaps

3.2/5  rDev -16%

pours like a typical stout, black in color with a nice dark tan almost brown head to it. has medium retention leaving spotty lacing

nice aroma oatmeal and smoke stand out, with chocolate, coffee and nutty notes.

wow very very smokey, with some focus i was able to find some oatmeal, chocolate through the smoke.

medium bodied and medium- lightly carbonated. pretty viscous

overall for me the taste brings the beer down a lot it was just way to smokey felt like i was drinking an ash tray. it had a nice aroma and look to it but i was disappointed.

12-16-2011 20:39:45 | More by rtaps