Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.
4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours black with a medium sized tan head. Strong smoke aroma with chocolate and roasted malts. Taste again is smokey with more chocolate and bitter coffee. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very nice, this is one of the best smoked beers I've tried. Thanks wordemupg!

2.02/5  rDev -47.1%

Too smokey! First sip hits you wth that over smoked, burnt maltiness. The aftertaste is worse than the mouth feel, ill leAve this short bc i couldnt stand this one, im usually a huge mikkeller fan, but i was dissapointed with this brew. Overall... Not so good.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

Hard-poured into a New Belgium tulip.

A: Deep, deep brown with creamy chocolate-mousse head. The beer appears to be clear but its dark appearance makes it difficult to be sure.  Splotchy, insubstantial lacing.

S: Smoke mingling with roast, coffee and earth. A bit of cocoa, too. Rich and organic.

T: Smoke dominates palate initially, but roast, coffee, cocoa, and, to a lesser extent, dark fruits assert themselves. Sufficiently bitter.

M: Medium body with a lower than medium level of carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel that  leaves a lingering powdery/chalky sensation.

D: The smoke is a welcome addition to an oatmeal stout infused with coffee.  I would have enjoyed more smoke characteristics, but that would have hurt drinkability. Quite drinkable, especially for an unusually chilly evening.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

There's really not that much that needs to be said of Rauch Beer Breakfast. It's bacon beer. It's everything you expect of bacon beer. Take your traditional Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, thicken it up a bit, and replace those broader meaty tastes with straight bacon, and that's what you've got here. It's very oily, almost greasy tasting. I would say that this beer is almost over-infused in that respect. Schlenkerla's beer hits a nice balance, and is almost too much as-is. Mikkeller's beer here is very novel, but it's a bit over the top and borderline cloying at the bacon tastes it's going after.

Have this alongside the Schlenkerla standard and see what you think. It's a potent one, and not to be missed if you get the chance, if only because of the level of novelty.

1.85/5  rDev -51.6%

Trying to be open-minded here, but it's tough when I dislike a beer this strongly.

A: dark brown/black with plenty of tan head; sticky lace.

S: smells strongly of black Sharpie. Really. Smokey too, but it's mostly permanent marker in the nose.

T: smokey malts first, then bitter smokey wood which quickly turns medicinal and straight-up unpleasant. Guess it could be worse...?

M: fizzy, medium-bodied. Blah.

O: not my thing at all. Pretty sure this is my first Rauchbier and certainly my last for a long time. I looove Beer Geek Breakfast & Brunch (and most other Mikkellers), but this was just terrible. Hate to pour out craft beer, but the remaining ~80% of this bottle is headed down the drain.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

Dark brown pour, not as dark as expected. At the very end, the pour was clumpy, and rather than do the brussels lace thing, it looked as if (maybe it was the bacon playing tricks on my eyes) there were bits of congealed fat that caused it to stick to the glass in a very unique way.

Aroma was heavy smoke, char, almost thought this one was aged in bourbon based on the aroma.

Taste, so smooth and drinkable, the heaviest smoked beer I've had that did not impart an undesireable astringency, this one was spot on with the oatmeal. Chocolate, leathery feel to it downbottle. Bacon taste not really present, but could see it having been part of the smoking agent equation.

At $11 a bottle, I can't give it too high of an overall score, but it is an interesting beer worth checking out if you've never had it before. Not as good as the brunch weasel, but good.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and an impenetrable texture. There was a massive, creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Surprisingly average lacing.

S: The smokiness of this beer overwhelms the smell, but there are traces of coffee and malt.

T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by the smokiness. There is some coffee, malt and chocolate, but it's in short supply. Not a bad flavor, but not as balanced as I would've liked.

M: A generally well-carbonated beer with a very dry and smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: While this is an uneven and inconsistent beer, it still has a good drinkability.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

This brew pours out like old motor oil, it looks super thick going into the glass. The smell is smokey but not overwhelmingly. You can pick up on other aromas too like medicine and a little bit of burnt coffee. The taste is surprisingly a much lighter smoked flavor than I expected. Some smoked beers are just way too much and it makes it gross. This one wasn't too bad, but not great though. The mouthfeel is also surprisingly lighter than the look it has. This beer is a little deceptive with the eyes. It's ok but nothing fantastic.

1.55/5  rDev -59.4%

pours pitch black with a huge3 finger tan head that left spotted lacing

smells of you guessed it smoke but it also has a very funky medicinal notes

taste is awful - those funky camphor flavors are just too much and overpower all other flavors that should be there

mouthfeel is medium/light with tons of carbonation that gave it a fizzy feel

overall - this is a terrible tasting beer and is very pricey to boot - i would never buy or drink this beer again

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Ludicrous milk chocolate head - seriously, it's stupid how crazy this head his. It holds up like fresh pancake batter on a griddle, with bubbles slowly matriculating through the cream. You can literally tilt this beer sidewise and the head barely moves. Cascading through the head is a tar-black liquid with absolutely no highlights.

S - Bacon, birch smoke, coffee.

T - All the notes from the nose: coffee, raw bacon, peat smoke. Interesting salt backend.

M - Medium body with a smooth, residual smoke.

O - Can't say enough about how beautiful this beer is. It has the best head I've ever seen, on any style of beer, period. There's a salty character to the smoke in the beer that I'm ambivalent about. Not the best smoked beer I've had, but a nice take on the style.

2.34/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance:

Tonight I am going be using another new glass that was a gift from my wife, a Lost Abbey tumbler that is not only very functional but has a really neat square to circle design to it that is super sleek looking. I was pulling the beer out of the fridge and just took an extra second to read the label and I wanted to mention that I really like the ghost flames that are printed on the left hand side of the bottle, as well as the shabby drawn piece of bacon that wraps around most of the label. When I pulled the cap off there was a generous amount of hissing that came from the tall slender bottle followed by some carbonation gas that lingered. On the pour I decided to tilt the glass hard and return it to vertical as I poured slowly trying to not over do it on the head because I know my glass will not hold the full bottle. When I was done I was left with a huge three finger thick cocoa colored head that laid on top of the black inky looking ale. As I hold the glass up to the light there is absolutely no light passing through and this baby reeks of darkness and evil. As I gave the glass a final swirl I noticed there was a heavy amount of viscosity that stained the walls of my glass deep brown.

Smell:

Right out of the gate this baby is dominant with heavy peat smoked barley that doesn't resemble bacon at all but rather a heavy scotch. Copious amounts of rubbery plastic and ash are just overwhelming my nostrils and I will be honest I am a little intimidated to give this a taste. Some very faint chocolate undertones but pretty much this is smoky to its core and not much else is present.

Taste:

Pardon my language, but holy shit this taste terrible! The first thing that I think of is melted bike tires on top of some grain alcohol. On the palate this is very thin and lacking complexity and very one dimensional. Overwhelming amounts of smoke and ashy flavors overtake any form of the original beer geek breakfast base. Plastic and something that might resemble burnt coffee are trying to push through but again smoke is the name of the game here. I am trying my best to drink this and I got about five sips down and the nasty flavors are just lingering and getting worse and worse. I am heading right for the sink now to dump it down the drain.

Drinkability:

Overall this was a rough beer. I would say that this is going to be one of those ones you try and you are either going to love it or hate it and nothing in between. I will admit another slight downfall to many of Mikkeller's beers are that they come with a hefty price tag and this was no exception coming in at $14 but I really wanted to go out on a limb and give it a shot. If you are feeling daring or just want to try something really out of your normal this is just for you. Would I buy it again or would I possibly trade for it myself? Hell no, the tiny taste of the bottle was too much for me. But hey again that's why it is called a opinion and no one can judge you for your perception.

4.16/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance-Pours a luxuriously silky black with one of the richest, plushest mocha colored heads I've ever seen on a beer of this style that dips and bubbles slowly away leaving globs and dabs along the sides. Held to light I think I detect a smidgeon of brown in the color but that could just be my imagination, this beer is a beaut.

Aroma-Smoke! Ahhh, the rauch and plenty of it right upfront, so much that its hard to pick through the other aromas but that's just the way I like it; can't get enough of that smoke. I can pick up hints of the roasted and blackened malts underneath the rauch onslaught but this one is clearly all about the smoke.

Taste-Follows the aroma straight up with a big burst of smoke upfront followed by a tender blanket of bitterly dark roasted and blackened malts; this one runs straight up to you and bludgeons you with the smoke, personally I love it but I could see how someone after a more balanced experience might not care for it too much. Come to think of it I do wish there was a bit more sweetness to highlight and contrast against the smoke, but that's my only criticism.

Mouthfeel-Very plush, perhaps a touch too much carbonation though, but only a touch.

Drinkability/Overall-Great beer that I'm enjoying with every sip, Mikkeller really put together a nice one here and despite my slight nitpicks it's a real knockout of a brew.

4.16/5  rDev +8.9%

A- A gorgeous looking stout. Black as night body, with a massive two inch head that has a dark tanned color.

S- Smoke. Campfire smoke, smoked meats, charcoal, burnt tobacco, smoked malts.

T- Roasted chocolate, and then a wave of smoked meats mixed with bitter chocolate and coffee, smoke is more subdued and balanced on the palette than the nose.

M- Silky, moderate carbonation.

O- Stay away if you dont like smoked beers, if you do grab this one up, I loved it.

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Poured into a DFH laser etched chalice... starts with a nice finger thick brown head with nice retention and light lacing. Beer is black in color with no light shining through when held up to the ceiling

S- First wiff smells like campfire and chocolate milk... after some swirls of the glass, the smoky aroma becomes more intense while the chocolate lingers faintly

T- The smoked flavor comes through from start to finish with a hints of chocolate sweet flavor coming through mid swig through the finish

M- Little thinner than I expected... light carbonation

D- I enjoyed it and could throw more back for sure, but not Mikkeller best work

CHEERS!!

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From a 500 ml brown bottle. Pitch black opaque body, tall spongy and chunky mocha head with great retention that slowly settles.

Nice job on the aroma, hits all the right spots for a Rauch, nice wood smoke character with notes of hickory and mild char in the background. Really, the smoke dominates the whole show, can't pick out anything behind it.

Roast malt, coffee, hints of chocolate and some char right from the start in the flavour, and THEN the smoke jumps right in immediately after and steals the show. It all works together beautifully.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, smooth and slick, with low carbonation. Not as full as I was expecting but it works.

Doesn't live up to the bacon claim, but as a concept this so totally works, the roast malt, coffee and smoked malt make a winning team with this particular combination. If you like smoked beers then go for it, get some and go again.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

500ml bottle poured into tulip mar30 2011

A pretty dark with just a slight edge of dark cola when held to the light, the head is also pretty dark and retains very well leaving a fair bit of lace as it slowly falls to an island

S faint hops with a strong blast of hippie that just showed up at the bar after sitting in front of a campfire for a week or two and some milk chocolate

T not far from the smell, plenty of smoke and chocolate with some faint coffee and licorice, perhaps some tobacco and leather sneak in after the initial smokey blast

M not overly thick for the color but not thin by any means and the bubbles cream it up a bit and the flavors lingure

O decent smoked beer and I'm glad I picked it up, not bad for a spring day staring at the Rockies out the window. The smokes a little overpowering but I think that may be the goal of this brew

I'd drink this again but I'm going to be broke after trying all these new Mikkellers released in Alberta and then buying more of the ones I want to cellar. Nice smokey flavors if you like that sort of thing its worth looking for

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

500ml capped bottle brought over for an all beer geek breakfast tasting. drank from my stone IRS snifter.

A- this one pours an opaque black body that light cannot penetrate. there is a solid finger of coffee colored head on top. the head lasts for a while and leaves behind small rings of lacing. very nice.

S- the first thing i think when i put my nose near the glass is "campfire." tons of smoked malt coming from this one. some straight roasted malts sneak through as well, along with dark chocolate and slight coffee notes.

T- the taste starts out with some roasted malts and quickly moves into campfire country. tons of smoked malts here, which leave an almost salty and meaty impression. after that i get some dark chocolate and a little bit of woody notes. some coffee sneaks through at the end.

M- the body is a solid medium, and the carbonation is a little on the high side. kind of prickly. very dry finish and leaves me parched.

O- overall, i think this is my favorite treatment that the beer geek breakfast received; and im not really a fan of smoked beers. the smoke is heavy without being overbearing or leaving this too one dimensional. this is something ill look for again.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a nice color like most of the other geek beers i've had. Dark brown head that has good retention. Good carbonation on this. The smell is real nice, smokey coffee that makes me dive right in. The taste, however, is disjointed. I'm barely able to get a 4oz. pour down. I like smoked malts and rauch beer quality but this ones terribly bitter on the finish. The coffee and malty middle doesn't make up for the finish. I was really disappointed in this as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other beer geek breakfast and brunch beers.

3.96/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: Color is black to a dark, deep brown along the edges. Pours with a thick (1+ inch), thick tan, bordering on mocha head.

S: First impression - campfire in a glass. Lots of smoke up front. Some roasted malts and faint coffee. Earthy.

T: Not surprisingly, the smoke continues to dominate the early part of the taste. Coffee shows up mid taste with some bitter chocolate flavors. Finish is long, slighly bitter, gradually returning to some faint smokey notes.

M: Full bodied, although not oily or cloying. Moderate carbonation. A slight amount of heat on finish.

D: A little outside of my style preference (due to the smoke), this is still smooth and enjoyable to drink. Another solid variation on Mikkeller's solid breakfast beer.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a finger high creamy mocha head that has good retention properties and never completely faded away.
S: The smell is moderately strong and has aromas of smoke are present in the nose along with notes of roasted malts and coffee beans.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell--a light smokiness stands out in particular and is accompanied by flavors of roasted malts and coffee. There is a light amount of bitterness, which particularly stands out in the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied, creamy and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink because the smoky flavors and bitterness are not overpowering and the alcohol is well hidden.

3.91/5  rDev +2.4%

500ml bottle into a Birra del Borgo tulip. Thanks to Chris for sharing this one.

A: Black body, creamy brown head. Nice.

S: Sharp smoke, and nothing but campfire; maybe some lightly medicinal notes. Ok.

T: Sweet + smoky. Dry finish simple and tasty.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Not an especially compelling beer, as the dominant smoke isn't really all that special; still, it gets the job done effectively enough. Mikkeller beers can be so hit and miss that I'm always both excited and hesitant about trying a new one, but this particular beer left me surprisingly ambivalent. I wouldn't pay for a bottle of my own, but it's worth trying.

Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pretty much black. Some light tan edges rim the glass.

A: Coffee and smoke are prominent. Get a good dose of chocolate and roasted malt as well. Not too much bacon in the nose.

T: I do get bacon in the taste, but it may just be more of the smoke flavor than anything else. More coffee, chocolate, and roast. The smoke really eats up most of the underlying flavors that typically make up an American Double Stout.

M: Heavy body, thick and chewy. Good levels of carbonation.

O: I liked the beer. I thought the smoke was a little overpowering at times, and I wish the bacon could have been stronger. Nonetheless, a pretty soild offering, but not one I would want to have too many of. Skal.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I picked up this bottle during my spring break sojourn to Charleston, my beloved old home. I had to stop by the Charleston Beer Exchange and get a couple selections.

A - Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Pours black and substantial, opaque, with a tightly foamed, creamy dark khaki head.

S - The aroma is dominated by a cocoa-coffee-earthy stout aroma with a slight hint of hops. There is a wee bit of smokiness but not as much as comes through in the taste.

T - Smokey, with a slightly bitter burnt carbon edge that plays well with the present hops. There's a chalky cocoa flavor here alongside typical stouty notes.

M - Fantastic. Velvety smooth and viscous.

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

Appearance - Black with a huge light brown head that sticks around throughout the entire beer

Smell - Sweet & smokey bacon and malt aroma are very apparent. It really smells like breakfast in a glass

Taste - Very rich and full of flavor. You can taste everything you smell. The oatmeal is apparent in the taste , but not in the smell and makes for a very nice smooth transition. It finishes sweet, but the aftertaste leaves a very nice smokey flavor in your mouth that lingers for a good long time.

Mouthfeel - Incredibly smooth and creamy that goes down uber easy. Let it breath a little and the carbonation go down.

Drinkability - AMAZING BEER! Its perfect if you like oatmeal stouts, bacon and rauch (smoke) beers.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to Bendurgin for cracking this one. Love the Breakfast and the Brunch, so I expect to love this one too. Poured into a tulip. Huge 3 finger head dissipates and leaves a bit of sticky lacing. The head rentention is minimal but solid. The head is the beautiful color of mocha.

Nice aroma of roasted malts and a good amount of campfire aroma. The smokyness is well integrated so not to overpower.

The taste is nicely balanced. The bitter roasted flavors start out and continue towards the finish where they balance out perfectly with the smoked flavor. There is just a hint of coffee flavor in the finish, and the coffee is well done. I love the way Mikkeller brews with coffee; it's the best.

The mouthfeel is pretty smooth and creamy. The body is relatively light. Very good for a strong stout.

Great great beer. I rased through my serving. Delicious and recommended. The balance between all the flavors is amazing.

Beer Geek Bacon from Mikkeller ApS