Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

I am still plowing through my backlog of bottles, but I may break down and hit some CANs in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here is a curiosity that I picked up at Hunger 'n' Thirst a while back.

From the bottle: "Smoked Oatmeal Stout Brewed With Coffee". Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle, this sounds really good!

The beauty of these really dark beers is that when I employ an aggro pour, the pseudo-cascade is extremely visible. I sat back in awe and watched it settle into two fingers of very dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) and it looked like the depths of outer space in my glass. Nose was very coffee-like with just a modicum of underlying smokiness. Mouthfeel was medium. While the coffee was still prevalent on the tongue, the smoke was beginning to assert itself in the mouth and in my sinus cavity. Warming, the smoke got stronger, but so did the coffee. I was really hoping for something much smokier, but since it is listed as an "Oatmeal Stout", rather than a "Rauchbier", I should not dun it too highly for this. Finish was still more prevalently coffee than smoky and I have to admit that I was disappointed. It was just too similar in taste to Beer Geek Breakfast and too lacking in smokiness to be worth the cost for a 330-ml. bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.81/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My bottle had a label titled "Raunch Geek Breakfast", so it took me a while to find due to the alias.

a. Dark, Dark brown into black. Poured into a tulip glass - no head - some trace foam lying on top. Cannot be sure of the age of the beer - bottle had no markings. Reading other reviews of 2 finger dark foam heads makes me wonder if this was on the shelf a while.

s. I had coffee, smoke, and bacon - some acidic high note. More and more enjoyable as time went on.

t. The first sip was all smoke flavor - BIG smoke- coffee was layered in as time went on and the smoke was accepted in the pallet. Coffee lingers on the finish. Nice mix.

m. Very good. A bit heavy on the alcohol for a 7.5.

o. Very good beer. I am not a big smoked beer fan out side of Smoke and Dagger from Jack's Abby, which is a mild smoked flavor comparatively.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%