Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BaconBeer Geek Bacon

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

(Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010)
largadeer

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle shared by nickd717. Thanks!

Oily opaque black with a thick collar for a head. Burnt bacon aroma, like bacon left in the frying pan for an hour too long; this is tarry, salty and burnt stuff. Tastes better than it smells, tarry and burnt, meaty and smokey. Medium-bodied, thankfully not too syrupy or burnt. Semi-sweet finish with strong roast and smoke. The aroma is fairly offensive, but it doesn't taste bad. Decent.

09-01-2010 05:40:34 | More by largadeer
wchollif

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a nice color like most of the other geek beers i've had. Dark brown head that has good retention. Good carbonation on this. The smell is real nice, smokey coffee that makes me dive right in. The taste, however, is disjointed. I'm barely able to get a 4oz. pour down. I like smoked malts and rauch beer quality but this ones terribly bitter on the finish. The coffee and malty middle doesn't make up for the finish. I was really disappointed in this as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other beer geek breakfast and brunch beers.

03-27-2011 17:50:44 | More by wchollif
coachdonovan

Rhode Island

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours jet black with some foam the color of caramel, mocha, and milky coffee. Aroma is peat, smoke, wet campfire, and a little bit of moldy chocolate. Here is a summary of collective taste descriptions:

oh my god this is so horrible
liquid smoke
tastes like burnt popcorn smells
ashy
hickory
smoked meat
like chewing on ash

I honestly didn't get any bacon out of this; certainly not as much as Schlenkerla. This certainly delivers the goods in terms of smokiness, but it wore me down in a hurry. Before the end of my half-bottle, I was 100% burned out. No pun intended.

06-27-2011 00:39:23 | More by coachdonovan
Swimsum

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Consumed on 10/20/10

Pours out a nice thick looking black liquid. Huge head forms in my glass as the beer gets poured. When held up to the light, no light is able to penetrate the body. Head is a light chocolate milk color. The texture of the head is bubbly and foamy. It recedes slowly back into the liquid. A thin film floats on top for most of the session. No lacing is produced at all.

A lot of smoke right away. I believe some coffee is trying to fight its way though all the smoke but comes in small notes. There is also charred wood notes that come along with the smoke. The smell isn't overpowering though and there is also some sweetness that randomly comes out.

Much like the smell, smoke and wood dominate the taste. No real sweetness that I can detect. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat as the beer is swallowed. There is something off about the bitterness though, can't place my finger on it though, I just know I'm not a fan of it. As this opens up more roastiness comes out and the smokiness dies down.

Very thin, even watery at times sadly. Not very impressed here. Carbonation is present but it doesn't seem overly high that would lead to the thin feel, just don't think this is a very thick beer.

I'm not sure if I'd go for this again. I'm not a big fan of smoked beer and perhaps it just isn't for me. If you enjoy smoked beer I'd give this a go but it wasn't for me.

01-04-2011 20:56:37 | More by Swimsum
applestash

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured out of a bottle into a tulip. Small black globules blobbed out with the brew. My imagination? Took a sip felt the gelatinous anomalies slide past my lips and get caught in my teeth. Gross. A heartbroken drainpour.

Second try:
I received a replacement bottle!

This time, the globs were less prevalent and I just decided to stick it out. I have no idea how this might have an effect on the rest of the beer, but here goes:

A: dark as all hell. decent head.

A: smoky, coffee, not as sweet as the other geek breakfasts.

T: smoky, drier than other bgbs. aw heck, there are little oily blobs in my mouth!

m: already addressed this.

bummer! i love the concept, but it was surprisingly light in body and lacked richness and balance. mostly, though, it was the texture. it was like "beer geek tapioca", or "retirement home breakfast."

08-15-2011 01:49:37 | More by applestash
thecarster1

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

a- bottle poured into a dogfish signature, thick syrupy pour creates two fingers tan very creamy head with great retention, deep black brown color, great looking brew - i feel like i want to garnish with a piece of crispy bacon!

s- a lot of smoke here as expected, and yes, bacon - smokey open fire roasted bacon, dark chocolate, black coffee.

t- thick, roasty, smokey - very, like a burnt dark chocolate coffee, it does have a big of creaminess as well. i do get the bacon in here as well, not as prevalent as the nose, but it's here. it's got a hit on the backend that makes this taste a lot stronger than 7.5%.

m- thick and full, creamy.

d- not the greatest, this one shouldn't be challenging my palate, but it kind of is, it's a sipper for sure.

01-04-2011 00:32:52 | More by thecarster1
antlerwrestler19

Nebraska

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Just from the image on the bottle of rising smoke I know this beer is going to portray just that.
Pours oily black with an immense frothy mocha head that fades back down ever so slowly leaving little lacing that follows the head - small head retains itself atop the beer keeping it looking nice. Instant smell of sour smoke and charred meat - deep dark chocolaty malts present. Taste is campfire smoke (if it could be bottled and consumed) and it truly does remind the tastebuds a bit of bacon in a funky way - also flavors of bitter chocolate (mostly in aftertaste, also a spice to it). The feel is smooth, but not thick, just creamy. It leaves a bitter, and dare I say, sour bite on the back of the tongue. This beer developed further as it warmed up but I'm still getting used to the smoked beers so hopefully I can revisit this in the future and enjoy more than I did.

Cheers

08-11-2011 05:11:04 | More by antlerwrestler19
oregone

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -16%

A: Looks solid. Pours seemingly viscous with a small head of cream carbonation settling to thick lacing. Very dark stuff with some maroon highlights when held to light.
S: Heavy campfire. If you're looking for smoke (and if you're drinking this you'd better be) here it is. Some burnt malt notes and sharp peat.
T: Pretty straight forward. Nothing wrong here, but really driven by a stale smoke/burnt flavor. It's interesting, but for a 'smoked brew', not particularly enticing or on point. I like, but want more depth. Ideally this would have some more sweetness to round ou the acrid flavor and texture or be thinner and less aggressive to lend itself towards a quaffable brew.
M: Very thin for a purportedly imperial stout. More like a smoked porter. If you leave aside stylistic guidelines, this fairs slightly better. Light-medium mouthfeel with a refreshing carbonation that seems to exacerbate the smokiness and lends little to what I'd like to see here and in the taste; some sweet malt to balance the acrid flavor and thin/harsh texture.
D: I could actually drink a fair bit of this if I enjoyed it more. Not a bad brew, and interesting in its pointed smokiness. It drinks much lighter than it is, and I'd actually give it a higher drinkability rating if I wasn't confident that the smokiness would become even more tiresome.

03-06-2011 06:15:40 | More by oregone
rtaps

3.2/5  rDev -16%

pours like a typical stout, black in color with a nice dark tan almost brown head to it. has medium retention leaving spotty lacing

nice aroma oatmeal and smoke stand out, with chocolate, coffee and nutty notes.

wow very very smokey, with some focus i was able to find some oatmeal, chocolate through the smoke.

medium bodied and medium- lightly carbonated. pretty viscous

overall for me the taste brings the beer down a lot it was just way to smokey felt like i was drinking an ash tray. it had a nice aroma and look to it but i was disappointed.

12-16-2011 20:39:45 | More by rtaps
teamwiggum

Wisconsin

12-24-2013 03:17:48 | More by teamwiggum
ygtbsm94

07-08-2012 00:06:47 | More by ygtbsm94
woodychandler

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

I am still plowing through my backlog of bottles, but I may break down and hit some CANs in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here is a curiosity that I picked up at Hunger 'n' Thirst a while back.

From the bottle: "Smoked Oatmeal Stout Brewed With Coffee". Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle, this sounds really good!

The beauty of these really dark beers is that when I employ an aggro pour, the pseudo-cascade is extremely visible. I sat back in awe and watched it settle into two fingers of very dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) and it looked like the depths of outer space in my glass. Nose was very coffee-like with just a modicum of underlying smokiness. Mouthfeel was medium. While the coffee was still prevalent on the tongue, the smoke was beginning to assert itself in the mouth and in my sinus cavity. Warming, the smoke got stronger, but so did the coffee. I was really hoping for something much smokier, but since it is listed as an "Oatmeal Stout", rather than a "Rauchbier", I should not dun it too highly for this. Finish was still more prevalently coffee than smoky and I have to admit that I was disappointed. It was just too similar in taste to Beer Geek Breakfast and too lacking in smokiness to be worth the cost for a 330-ml. bottle.

08-12-2014 23:42:42 | More by woodychandler

Smarty_Pints

01-30-2014 17:13:08 | More by Smarty_Pints
yeahnatenelson

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Appearance -- Pours an inky black with zero highlights and a slim tan head.

Smell -- As the name would suggest, LOTS of rich, earthy woodsmoke present from the onset. Additionally, there is some malt roastiness, dark chocolate, and espresso.

Taste -- Again, lots and lots of woodsmoke akin to being at a bonfire. Also, there is some noticeable meatiness along with roast malt, espresso, baker's chocolate, and little bit of soy sauce. Not a great deal of malt sweetness, just smoke and char.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow. This one is definitely for a specific clientele. One of the smokiest beers I've ever had. Interesting, good, but not great. Had no problem finishing my taster, but beyond that may have been tricky.

11-08-2010 23:02:10 | More by yeahnatenelson