Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.
4.24/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a deep black with a very small head (if I swish the snifter) this however does leave some lacing, surprisingly enough. The aroma is sweet smoked bacon with some coffee, and plenty of roastiness. I didn't detect much for hops at all in the aroma of this beer which is why I am surprised that the beer has as much fruity hop character in the flavor as it does. The flavor is of course dominated by sweet smoked bacon and cocoa with some nice fresh roasted coffee. The finish is remarkably clean, and for a beer with this much going on that's really saying something. Just a really tasty beer. (596 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

Looked like pouring espresso out of the bottle. The head (1.5 inch) developed like a brown, carbonated crema.

A confusing thing to sniff at. The mix of coffee, heavily roasted, smoked, bright, carmely, leathery malt is overwhelming. My wife says she smells a hint of balsamic vinegar. It almost has the odor of burnt transmission fluid. In fact it smells very similar to may dad, who is a mechanic that drinks 2 pots of coffee a day. Ooh, it leaves a pretty little lacing on the side of the glass too. Oh wait, little bits of a collagen-like substance stick to the sides of the glass (even poured in two different glasses to make sure I wasn't seeing things).

*new hair follicle sprouts between my eyebrows*

What is the difference between a hop bitterness and a coffee bitterness? I can't tell in this beer. Wherever it comes from, it lingers for a little bit. There is a sweetness that is similar to a spoonful of sugar and a splash of cream that kinda takes the edge off. Actually, there aren't a lot of edges, just a lot of charred flavors that aren't subtle. The way all of the flavors mix isn't very good to me at this time. (1,132 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Ok before I get into the details of this beer, I got this because of the hype I heard about the bacon flavor. I normally do not drink smoked beers. I'm just not into them. This beer however, blew me away.

The pour into my snifter was what I expected a two finger mocha colored head and a body that was black as night. What I expect for a stout from Mikkeller. The smell was good, however I got more smoke than bacon but I can tell why Mikkeller named it the Beer Geek Bacon for the European release. There is a hint of saltiness in the smell of the smoke. Let me add there is a really strong smoke scent. I did not get any coffee at all, which was listed as an ingredient. The taste however is where this beer takes it above the good rating I gave for the prior two categories. In the flavor you get the coffee on the middle of the mouth aftertaste once the initial smokiness fades away. Again the only notion of bacon is in the aftertaste, once swallowed. There is this salty flavor that is hard to define. The mouthfeel was dry dry dry and I found this to be exceptional for this type of beer. Overall this was an amazing beer. The overall experience of the beer improved as the beer warmed and I loved the complexity. Those not into smoke should stay away it is pretty profound but for an extreme beer lover, this was great and at 7.5 it hit the spot. (1,355 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance-Pours a luxuriously silky black with one of the richest, plushest mocha colored heads I've ever seen on a beer of this style that dips and bubbles slowly away leaving globs and dabs along the sides. Held to light I think I detect a smidgeon of brown in the color but that could just be my imagination, this beer is a beaut.

Aroma-Smoke! Ahhh, the rauch and plenty of it right upfront, so much that its hard to pick through the other aromas but that's just the way I like it; can't get enough of that smoke. I can pick up hints of the roasted and blackened malts underneath the rauch onslaught but this one is clearly all about the smoke.

Taste-Follows the aroma straight up with a big burst of smoke upfront followed by a tender blanket of bitterly dark roasted and blackened malts; this one runs straight up to you and bludgeons you with the smoke, personally I love it but I could see how someone after a more balanced experience might not care for it too much. Come to think of it I do wish there was a bit more sweetness to highlight and contrast against the smoke, but that's my only criticism.

Mouthfeel-Very plush, perhaps a touch too much carbonation though, but only a touch.

Drinkability/Overall-Great beer that I'm enjoying with every sip, Mikkeller really put together a nice one here and despite my slight nitpicks it's a real knockout of a brew. (1,374 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 6, courtesy of mdfb79. Poured into a CBS snifter.

A - Pours crude-oil black, with explosive cinnamon head that filled this huge snifter to the brim. The head clings to the side, but slides down and doesn't leave lacing.

S - From a distance, it almost smells estery and fruity, but as soon as I lean in close, hoo boy, bacon! I have a guess what this is, but I'll keep it to myself for now. I'm looking for malty flavors under the thick, bacony smoke, but no dice. That's not necessarily a bad thing; the smoke is delicious and savory and sweet and meaty and makes me salivate.

T - Different from the smell... the smoke is still present, but not nearly as much, and I get some slightly bitter coffee and semisweet chocolate. The smoke blends well with the roastiness of the coffee and chocolate, and all three distinct forms of roastiness meld together nicely. Given the "bacon" emphasis in the aroma and in what I'm guessing the name is, though, I was expecting way more bacon flavor and/or smoke along the lines of a potent Aecht Schlenkerla.

M - Can I call it thin and thick at the same time? It has a moderately full body, but the carbonation pierces through it and makes it almost feel light on the tongue. It's an interesting combination, but I kinda find the carbonation annoying. I can't directly detect any alcohol at all, but it's got a shifty look in its eyes like I'm being lured into a trap.

Overall, this is tasty, but not mind-blowing. The nose was like whoa, but the beer was just good. (1,540 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

There's really not that much that needs to be said of Rauch Beer Breakfast. It's bacon beer. It's everything you expect of bacon beer. Take your traditional Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, thicken it up a bit, and replace those broader meaty tastes with straight bacon, and that's what you've got here. It's very oily, almost greasy tasting. I would say that this beer is almost over-infused in that respect. Schlenkerla's beer hits a nice balance, and is almost too much as-is. Mikkeller's beer here is very novel, but it's a bit over the top and borderline cloying at the bacon tastes it's going after.

Have this alongside the Schlenkerla standard and see what you think. It's a potent one, and not to be missed if you get the chance, if only because of the level of novelty. (782 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.7%

Just from the image on the bottle of rising smoke I know this beer is going to portray just that.
Pours oily black with an immense frothy mocha head that fades back down ever so slowly leaving little lacing that follows the head - small head retains itself atop the beer keeping it looking nice. Instant smell of sour smoke and charred meat - deep dark chocolaty malts present. Taste is campfire smoke (if it could be bottled and consumed) and it truly does remind the tastebuds a bit of bacon in a funky way - also flavors of bitter chocolate (mostly in aftertaste, also a spice to it). The feel is smooth, but not thick, just creamy. It leaves a bitter, and dare I say, sour bite on the back of the tongue. This beer developed further as it warmed up but I'm still getting used to the smoked beers so hopefully I can revisit this in the future and enjoy more than I did.

Cheers (880 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours like some bubbly crude - pitch black and slippery. When jostled produces a half-finger tan head that dissipates at a moderate pace. Big nose. Obvious smoke, but less campfire and more industrial. Underneath you can smell some coffee, roasted malt, a touch of chocolate and a hint of black licorice. Drinks thick, but the high carbonation keeps it afloat. Interesting. Doesn't coddle you like other stouts but rather declares its presence with an almost stale, indifferent smokiness. Feels like an art studio replete with overflowing ashtrays. What's quite interesting is the hoppiness that is present early and constant throughout. It ends on a twisted tart note that's very clean. Unique, but not something I'd purchase twice. I will say, though, it's not lacking in character.

Like It? Sure (799 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Teku glass.

A: Pitch black with medium (2fingers), medium lasting, mocha head. Very good lacing.

S: Mild roasted malts aroma, low to medium smoked malts aroma (woody, ashy), coffee aroma, hints of vanilla aromas, some dark fruits esters.

T: definetely smoked beer - burnt and ashy, dark roasted espresso coffee flavours, some dark chocolate, medium bitterness, low hop flavor.

M: creamy texture, medium carbonation, medium to full body.

O: Very drinkable smoked beer, which base is great beer geek breakfast. This stout is very drinkable. Really good beer. (563 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11%

12oz poured into a tulip.

A Pitch black withtwo finger thick billowy brown head, foamy lacing all the way down.

S Very smoky almost meaty, malty, raisins, apples.

T So smokey and meaty, like im in the mountains cooking bacon from a freshly slaughtered boar over a fire, some bitter chocolate in the middle meeting with some hoppiness in the finish, espresso lingers on afterwards.

M Smooth and creamy, thick and untamed, like a big cloud of smoke.

O Great after dinner or for beakfast as the name implies. Despite how smokey it is, it's never overpowering or cloying. This was really great. (595 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a snifter from 500 mL bottle.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown body (almost black). A beautiful brown head was the end result of the pour.

Smell: You can definitely detect bacon. Smoked bacon that maybe has been smoked for too long. The smokey-ness reminded me of a peaty smell resembling some Scotch. The smoke dominated the aromas so I couldn't smell that much roasted malty-ness.

Taste: I tasted unsweetened, black coffee and that smoked bacon. Someone took the bacon grease from a pan and poured it into the coffee maker. It's a spectacular taste though as man would associate with bacon. It also leaves a bitter taste at the end. I wish the hops were detected throughout the beer rather than the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick-bodied. There's not much else to say besides that....

Overall: The bacon and coffee flavors I think were overpowered by the smokiness. Stale coffee and overcooked bacon perhaps can be detected but that's not what I wanted. I want breakfast in a bottle with some nice hops. (1,022 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this as my nightcap after a nice steak. Dessert of Gorgonzola dolce, speck, walnuts and apples. oh yes.

A: Dark, black/brown. A one finger head that disappeared into the oily blackness of this beer.
S: Smoke, bacony, liquorice, sweet malt, burnt red meat.
T: Very complex, smokey, bitter, and lovley.
M: A battle between viscous and dry, odd, but interesting.

O: Overall, it took me the whole bottle and a bunch of input from tasting friends to really try to understand what this beer is. We are still trying to... Maybe a little more age on it and it might gain a bit more harmony. Still this beer is goin places! (620 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Consumed on 10/20/10

Pours out a nice thick looking black liquid. Huge head forms in my glass as the beer gets poured. When held up to the light, no light is able to penetrate the body. Head is a light chocolate milk color. The texture of the head is bubbly and foamy. It recedes slowly back into the liquid. A thin film floats on top for most of the session. No lacing is produced at all.

A lot of smoke right away. I believe some coffee is trying to fight its way though all the smoke but comes in small notes. There is also charred wood notes that come along with the smoke. The smell isn't overpowering though and there is also some sweetness that randomly comes out.

Much like the smell, smoke and wood dominate the taste. No real sweetness that I can detect. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat as the beer is swallowed. There is something off about the bitterness though, can't place my finger on it though, I just know I'm not a fan of it. As this opens up more roastiness comes out and the smokiness dies down.

Very thin, even watery at times sadly. Not very impressed here. Carbonation is present but it doesn't seem overly high that would lead to the thin feel, just don't think this is a very thick beer.

I'm not sure if I'd go for this again. I'm not a big fan of smoked beer and perhaps it just isn't for me. If you enjoy smoked beer I'd give this a go but it wasn't for me. (1,406 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle to snifter.

A: Pitch black, no light is passing through. No amber around the edges of the glass. Thick creamy head - dark mocha color.

S: Roasted malts. A lot of coffee upfront and little smokiness. I also notice some sweet smelling fruit and maybe some brown sugar, sort of a molasses smell. As it warmed up, this aroma became more pronounced. You'll definitely want to drink this at around 50'F or 9'C, at least.

T: Roasted barley, and some sweetness. Coffee, plum, and that brown sugar note. Mild hop bitterness on the backend. The flavors are all about the coffee and malts.

M: Medium to fuller body, but it feels only slightly loose (not watery at all). There's a little be of mouth coating that lingers a bit. Some noticeable carbonation. Very smooth.

D: Very nice beer. It's smooth and it has some nice malt characteristics. This can bee slugged back pretty well. (882 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a nice color like most of the other geek beers i've had. Dark brown head that has good retention. Good carbonation on this. The smell is real nice, smokey coffee that makes me dive right in. The taste, however, is disjointed. I'm barely able to get a 4oz. pour down. I like smoked malts and rauch beer quality but this ones terribly bitter on the finish. The coffee and malty middle doesn't make up for the finish. I was really disappointed in this as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other beer geek breakfast and brunch beers. (529 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Another brew from a74gent! This one took me a while to get around to as well, but I finally did this evening. Thanks buddy!

Pours a lovely oily black, producing a thick, very dark head. Looks great.

Aroma is of ashy smoke, crispy bacon and bitter dark coffee.

The taste is good, but the bitterness is a bit overwhelming. The smoke is pretty well done, and while I do get a bit of bacon, it's not quite as meaty as a true rauchbier (I know it's not supposed to be one, but hey, RAUCH is in the name). It's more of an ashy smoke. As it warms, the bacon does start to come through more. Still, the bitterness of the coffee is a bit of a turn off.

Feels pretty good in the mouth. Slick with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. After a minute or two of not taking a sip, the bitterness in your mouth is pretty apparent. It's definitely a rich brew.

I like this beer, I just wish it were a LITTLE bit smoother and the coffee less bitter. Tasty, none the less. (But my mom didn't like it) (1,003 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Had this to kick off my 25th year of live at Stone brewery for their first day of their winter storm series.

A: Pours dark and almost chunky coming from the bottle into the glass, with a nice moca like head, about 2 fingers which stays a while leaving a nice lacing around the glass.

S: MMMmm spicy with some nice dark chocolate and smokey malt are nicely backed by oats and a nice bacon notes.

T: like a lighter version of the geek beer breakfast but dominated by smokey malt which kinda tunes down the over all taste that I remember from GBB, but that Moca is there followed by smokey bacon. rolls down smooth signature of the GBB.

M: The smoked malt changes the mouth feel as well, its not as creamy as the before mentioned, but its still nice leaving my mouth a little dry, but the taste makes up for it. Medium bodied.

D: Overall I would just drink the GBB, I think the smokiness could be cloying after a bottle, there is a lot in this beer that needs to be respected and enjoyed but I would wait a while before trying this again, maybe laying it down would mellow out the flavors a little. (1,102 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -46.2%

Poured into a goblet, this beer looks pretty much like all the other breakfast beers, very dark, almost black but the lighting in this room isn't very good so it's hard to tell if its completely opaque. Otherwise it looks pretty appealing like most stouts do. The head is a dark tan color about two fingers thick with some decent hang time leaving some sticky lacing on the sides of my glass.

Whew, the aroma is pretty intense. I can barely make out any malt except for a hint of roasted barley and some peaty scotch malt like notes. Very slight coffee in the nose but over all it punches my nostrils with smoke, however, it doesn't smell a damn thing like bacon! How is this possible? Well, Because most bacon is smoked with hickory or apple-wood... not burning rubber and charcoal with loads of lighter fluid and liquid smoke like this beer smells. Bacon must suck in Denmark.

Taste, here goes: not super pleasant for me and i love smoked beers/rauchbiers. It tastes much like it smells, like licking a charcoal briquette laced with lighter fluid and diesel fuel. I'm also getting solvents and grain alcohol with slightly roasty, chocolatey, minor coffee undertones. Otherwise the coffee is almost completely lost. This beer is a little slick in the mouth and somehow just slightly on the thin side. Carbonation is medium which is one of only a few ways i can decipher this from a bottle of kerosene.

Finished this beer out of duty and price. My buddy bought it for us to try and it was eighteen dollars. Otherwise, drinkability isn't great. Still got love for mikkeller though. Just not this particular beer. (1,618 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

A- jet black two finger crema espresso colored head with medium lacing

S- coffee toffee smokey typical stout base smell of soy sauce

T- smokey coffee pretty drinkable. a little disappointed with how much is going on. a little abitious in my opinion. would have enjoyed more without the coffee i think.

M- oily, really too thick for me. was hoping for creamy but it's kind of just straight motor oil. thankfully, not syrupy.

O- a nice beer. it was hard to drink 16 oz of it though. (486 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Beautiful brown head, dark body the color of molasses. Very inviting!

A: Roasted malt, smokey, coffee and dark chocolate.

T: Roasted coffee, liquid smoke, slightly nutty with a chocolate finish.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Has a comfortable richness one looks for in an imperial stout.

D: Overall, this is extremely pleasing. Best consumed slowly to allow flavors to develop as the liquid warms. Availability and price keep me from consuming more. (465 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I didn't love this beer as much as I had hoped. It had a very strong burnt, smokey aroma with a sharp almost biting alcohol smell. For an oatmeal stout, I thought that the flavors were a little bit sharp, not as mellow as something akin to a Sam Smith. I realize they're meant to be different, but it's an oatmeal stout to oatmeal stout comparison.

This beer was smokey from start to finish from texture to mouthfeel. It was very different than anything I had tasted to this point and it's very unique. Worth picking up a bottle, but for $12+, it won't become an everyday staple for me. (587 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a bottle (11.2oz) into a snifter. Jet black with a small surface head that dissipated almost immediately.

Whoa. Aroma is surreal. Raw smoked bacon, coffee, salted nuts, and ham. I can tell this is going to be interesting, but I'm up to the challenge.

Incredibly unique, It tastes like it smells. Smoked meat, charcuterie (speck), charred wood, and coffee singing back-up in there somewhere.

As it warms, the front end develops some wine-like tannin flavors that eventually give way to the smoked meat assault. As the warming continues, the hickory and mesquite begin to give way to the coffee as it becomes more predominant on the finish.

This beer is not for everyone, nor would it be an everyday brew. I think it's worth a try and might be better shared with a friend. I could see this pairing well with charcuterie, barbecue, and charred vegetables. (868 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

11/14/2010:

-- popped and poured -
-- tasted non-blind over 90 minutes -

NOSE: slightly smoked coffee chocolate malt Nose; expressive

BODY: pours sludgy, with a long-lasting chocolate malt head; pitch black; medium-full bodied - actually, it's considerably lighter on the palate than the motor oil viscosity I was expecting.

TASTE: this practically tastes like coffee-beer; in actuality, it's a smoked oatmeal stout; very roasted on the palate with some cement on the finish; the smoke comes through only a very little bit --- this is nothing like the famed Schenkerla brews; there's really nothing elegant about this 7.5% abv. beer, so don't bother with it if that's what you're looking for. So, do I like this beer? Yes. Do I think it's worth it's $10 for 17oz? No. Would I drink it if somebody offered it to me? Happily. (828 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -48.2%

Too smokey! First sip hits you wth that over smoked, burnt maltiness. The aftertaste is worse than the mouth feel, ill leAve this short bc i couldnt stand this one, im usually a huge mikkeller fan, but i was dissapointed with this brew. Overall... Not so good. (260 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

On Tap at Stone.

Aroma of licorice. Smokey flavor start to finish. Ends with and alcohol, licorice flavor. Some coffee notes but they seemed subdued to me.

There is a lot of Smokey flavor going on with this beer. It's important to know that going in. Not as much of a thick body as it looks and sounds like it'd have, making it relatively easy to drink. (355 characters)

Beer Geek Bacon from Mikkeller ApS