Ris A La M'ale - Mikkeller ApS

good

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kkipple on 11-05-2010)
Reviews by kkipple:
1.43/5  rDev -59.8%

So there I was, hands in my pockets, whistling in the aisles at Green's when Joe sticks his bearded, managerial face out from the stacks. "Hey Kkipple! We just got in a new beer from Mikkeller, check it out!". I do and see an odd, paper-wrapped bottle sitting smugly on the shelf. Upon inquiring as to its deliciousness, Joe simply shrugs and offers the following words that were soon to change my life: "It's not on BA yet."

Well. I'm a sucker for three things: Beers foreign to BA and paper-wrapped bottles. Actually there is a third thing, which is <redacted> So a mere $8.99 later, I am the proud owner of a bottle of Ris a la M'ale. It's advertised as being brewed with cherries and almonds. What will those mad Mikkeller kids think up next?

Two days later, during a Halloween Hair of the Dog tasting, the paper was removed, and the beer poured into three flute glasses for the Tasting Pleasure (TP) of myself, Todes and bobby8405 from the Florida Gang (FG).

Ris a la M'ale pours... well, it poured. It sat in our glasses an ugly pink-red, vaguely Pepto-Bismolesque and hazy. A low, floppy white head left a small amount of lace in the glass. This wasn't pretty. At all.

Well maybe it smells... oh no. No no no no no no. Screaming no. Please don't touch me there no. The table let out a collective, staggered gag as we recoiled our noses from the horrific Ris a la M'poop. Words that were bandied about included: stomach acid, burnt plastic, tires, alkaline, stale cherry, "no almond whatsoever", and "worse than Triple Bock" (or Black Xantus, if you're Arbitrator.) It is barely possible to overstate just how vile, how unappealing, how opposite of good this beer smells. It's all bad sour and terribly, terribly wrong, much like that time you played 30 seconds in Heaven with that brunette in middle school who had the swollen tonsils. Such a let down, plus you got sick the next day.

The flavor is, thank Zeus, not as hideous as the nose, but there is still nothing to recommend here. A fish-eyed vague, watery sour cherry, a nasty herbal tongue-stab, a bizarre salty (yes, salty) finish that has you reaching for your water - all this and more await should you taste the perilous Ris a la M'crap.

Mouthfeel is thin, moderately carbonated, and, frankly Jim, poopy. This is not drinkable. All three of us seasoned vets drain poured it after a few sad, wincing sips.

Mikkel, I love you (heteroly) but there is no reason for this beer to exist. A bad bottle? Possibly. I'd rather eat the paper this thing comes in than try it again though. All but masochists need not apply. I cannot warn you away enough so I'll simply say: if you ignore my pleadings, you drink this at your own peril.

kkipple, Nov 05, 2010

Tiernan, May 19, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

EastBay_Nick, Jul 13, 2013

FadetoBock, Aug 28, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

The beer pours a pinkish-orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the cherries with a little bit of toffee mixed in. The aroma has some grain notes as well as some almond and cherry aspects. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure what Mikkeller was trying to do with this beer, but this is not up to their usual standards.

Mora2000, Jul 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

xdefeatsy, Jan 29, 2012
4.21/5  rDev +18.3%

Pink tinted head and body more cherry brown hues in the body with hints of glowing amber....fine bubbled Belgian style lacing. Aroma has tart cherries malt forward bread and a mild nutty finish. It's one you sip when you really taste the almond skins, and earthiness with tart cherries in the finish complex fine ale I'm glad this was my locals last bottle. Brewed at De Proef, you can smell and taste the BELGIAN influence here friends. Earthy cherry cider with hints of almond think a high class amaretto liquor blended in your favorite Belgian sour ale. Mouthfeel is fine with the carbonation light flowing bubbles with a textured hint of syrup from residual sugars left behind in fermentation overall classic sour ale, I'm glad Mikkeller showed that he does have some finesse.

WVbeergeek, May 04, 2013
3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

On-tap at Leon's Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy golden-copper color with a 1.5-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells interesting - light malts with a good deal of ripe and slightly tart cherries. Also present are hints of nuttiness, but it's not something I'd associate with almonds specifically.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of slightly tart cherry flavors. Midway through the sip the yeast cleans things up a bit and smooths out the flavor profile as the cherry flavors fade and it becomes more like a BSPA. Near the end of the sip hints of shaved almond flavors come into play, quickly fading into a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have any problems finishing this beer however I'm not sure about another.

Overall the cherries and almonds were not as intense as I was expecting and the base beer was actually quite good - it reminded me slightly of USAlive. Worth seeking out for curiousity's sake but don't get your hopes up.

glid02, Jan 21, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -20.5%

375ml bottle. Brewed with cherries and almonds, though you would have to decipher the Danish-only labeling on the bottles shipped to Canada to know that. Not Mikkeller's fault, however, the distributor, WTF?

This beer pours a cloudy, sediment-specked medium orange-amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, rocky pink-tinged head, which leaves some crooked webbed lacing around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells mildly of sauced cherries, and a bit of caramel maltiness - nothing very much to reel you in. Anyways, the taste is sugared sour cherries, bready caramel malt, some earthy woody notes, perhaps a but nutty, but indistinct at that, and a very subtle gurgling booziness.

The bubbles are not present in any appreciable amount, the body a dodgy medium weight, and a bit too cloying to deserve any smoothness accolades. It finishes off-dry, the seemingly artificially sweetened cherries still running the show, tempered mostly by an herbal hop dryness.

After the initial sleuthing required to determine just what this beer is intended to be, I anticipated the almond adjunct greatly - would it be straight ahead oily nuttiness? Some nice marzipan notes? Nope, just a muddled, if inoffensive and ambitious, example of a fruit beer. Not really worth the $10+ this goes for around here.

biboergosum, Mar 31, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +2%

I am sure its real cherry. Pink lace and head and pink lace is the outstanding appearance characteristic. A little sourness and lots of maltiness. The cherry is overwhelmed by smelling and tasting by its malting.
Jon's bottle.Ok drinakbility, bit what I can expect from a cherry beer is not delivered.

Sammy, Aug 02, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle poured into snifter

A- red with clean filtering and thin head
S- sour, cherries, Salt
T- front end is great, but falls of very quick. A bit of sour cherries, salt and sweet
M - a bit thin

O- smell is awesome, but taste falls very quickly. I need something more substantial

PBRmeasap1980, Jul 26, 2014

msgraves, Nov 28, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

A:Pours a beautiful deep ruby with huge off white head. Great lacing. Hazy body.
S: Spot on what the label says. Notes of sliced almonds and cherries are easily detected. Seems to get a tad nuttier as it warms. Kinds reminds me of cherrie pie.
T: very complex. The tart cherries are evident throughout and plays nicely with the almond overtones. Slightly bittersweet finish. Interesting to say the least.
M: Kudos! Thick and creamy. Very smooth. Fair amount of cabonation. It's got an above average body.
O: interesting brew. I dig the cherry/almond nose a lot, but can't quite decide on the taste. Seems to get more sour/tart as it warms, but I feels it need a little more sweetness. Worth a try, but not sure I will keep coming back to it.

Infamous7100, Nov 17, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

This bottle was purchased after, yes after seeing kipple's review of it. Also a BM was sent to him to let him know what I had done. Haha! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy deep blood red with a two finger light pink head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of only sweet malt and sour cherries. The flavor was of sweet malt, almonds (duh!), fermented cherries (duh!), and slight saison spices as it warmed up. It had a medium feel on the palate with mid-high carbonation. Overall.... This one was quite interesting, but not as bad as kipple made it out to be. However, I must say, my palate took a beating on this one. Just so many flavors that lingered well after your sip. I'm honestly just glad that I don't have to melt down my snifter to get rid of the flavor that I was expecting to forever tarnish it. I followed this beer with a world-class hefe to get the flavor out of my mouth. At least this one had AWESOME lacing and a decent mouthfeel though.... Gotta look at your positives.

thagr81us, Nov 19, 2010

CaptainNomihodai, Feb 28, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

jaydoc, Dec 14, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

All right.... $9 at the COOP... and I already read the first review... What am I doing spending this kind of cash on one bottle of questionable quality? Oh well... Inflatablechair and I shared some brews tonight... neither of us thought it was terrible, just pretty ordinary.

Foamy 1/2" head is definitely pink tinged... sorta deep orange with a slight reddish hue... nice and clear except on the final pour .. descent cap and only splotches of lace.

Nose is a bit bland, but I swear I pick up on almonds... the cherry is there but muted and still seems like sweet cherries which sometime seem artificial in brews... sorta like the cherry in cherry cough drops aroma.... not bad... just not good.

Not much of a base beer flavor at all... maybe some toasty malt notes.... the cherry is bigger on the palate, but still seems a little artificial.. not getting the almonds really... a bit of minor cherry Ludens on the finish..

Body is an okay lite/medium.. the carbonation is abundant yet small bubble and still pretty smooth ...

Sam says it is like a fruited slightly sweet saison attempt.... I guess I can see that... but I think it is really just an attempt at something different that sorta fell flat on most fronts.

This brew actually really improved with alot of warmth... It's been open now for a couple hours and I'm polishing off the last cup or so, and it is okay.

3.5/3/3/4/3