Ris A La M'ale - Mikkeller ApS

good

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kkipple on 11-05-2010)
nas5755

1.25/5  rDev -64.9%

A very pretty beer. A reddish color with golden and straw hues. A large pink head with great lacing. The head never really disappeared. Based on color, head retention and lacing I would assume that this beer would be amazing. I was wrong. Faint cherries and a hint of almond with touch of spice, no overwhelming aromas to not just hints and shadows. The taste is laden with cherries in a very well intertwined manor, with a follow-up of almonds and those brown almond skins. A very straightforward beer. The malts are no very present. The carbonation is decent. Overall, I thought this beer was very disappointing however I kept coming back to the thought of how amazing this beer would be with some spicy brett to add complexity. I cannot recommend this beer.

12-30-2010 01:51:54 | More by nas5755
kkipple

South Carolina

1.43/5  rDev -59.8%

So there I was, hands in my pockets, whistling in the aisles at Green's when Joe sticks his bearded, managerial face out from the stacks. "Hey Kkipple! We just got in a new beer from Mikkeller, check it out!". I do and see an odd, paper-wrapped bottle sitting smugly on the shelf. Upon inquiring as to its deliciousness, Joe simply shrugs and offers the following words that were soon to change my life: "It's not on BA yet."

Well. I'm a sucker for three things: Beers foreign to BA and paper-wrapped bottles. Actually there is a third thing, which is <redacted> So a mere $8.99 later, I am the proud owner of a bottle of Ris a la M'ale. It's advertised as being brewed with cherries and almonds. What will those mad Mikkeller kids think up next?

Two days later, during a Halloween Hair of the Dog tasting, the paper was removed, and the beer poured into three flute glasses for the Tasting Pleasure (TP) of myself, Todes and bobby8405 from the Florida Gang (FG).

Ris a la M'ale pours... well, it poured. It sat in our glasses an ugly pink-red, vaguely Pepto-Bismolesque and hazy. A low, floppy white head left a small amount of lace in the glass. This wasn't pretty. At all.

Well maybe it smells... oh no. No no no no no no. Screaming no. Please don't touch me there no. The table let out a collective, staggered gag as we recoiled our noses from the horrific Ris a la M'poop. Words that were bandied about included: stomach acid, burnt plastic, tires, alkaline, stale cherry, "no almond whatsoever", and "worse than Triple Bock" (or Black Xantus, if you're Arbitrator.) It is barely possible to overstate just how vile, how unappealing, how opposite of good this beer smells. It's all bad sour and terribly, terribly wrong, much like that time you played 30 seconds in Heaven with that brunette in middle school who had the swollen tonsils. Such a let down, plus you got sick the next day.

The flavor is, thank Zeus, not as hideous as the nose, but there is still nothing to recommend here. A fish-eyed vague, watery sour cherry, a nasty herbal tongue-stab, a bizarre salty (yes, salty) finish that has you reaching for your water - all this and more await should you taste the perilous Ris a la M'crap.

Mouthfeel is thin, moderately carbonated, and, frankly Jim, poopy. This is not drinkable. All three of us seasoned vets drain poured it after a few sad, wincing sips.

Mikkel, I love you (heteroly) but there is no reason for this beer to exist. A bad bottle? Possibly. I'd rather eat the paper this thing comes in than try it again though. All but masochists need not apply. I cannot warn you away enough so I'll simply say: if you ignore my pleadings, you drink this at your own peril.

11-05-2010 00:20:58 | More by kkipple
AshleyMiller

Vermont

1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

gift from my brother for my birthday. poured into my stone snifter.

a - pours a nice rouge with a finger-plus head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing

s - not a whole lot in the smell on this one, some fruit (cherries, presumably) and slight tart and hops

t - unfortunately this missed the mark. tasted like a fruity budweiser, and that's certainly not a complement. expected this one to be more sour but no tart in the taste. got a little of the almond in the taste but really more bitter than i was expected.

m - lighter bodied with medium carbonation

o - not impressed with this one. haven't had much from mikkeller so i can't judge the brewery as a whole, but this one was way off. i was admittedly hoping from something sour and at least tart and this had neither. not sure if it was the almonds but this really tasted like an alteration on a budweiser recipe.

12-08-2011 02:51:43 | More by AshleyMiller
cosmonick

Indiana

12-17-2011 03:44:34 | More by cosmonick
koopa

2.17/5  rDev -39%

Bottle purchased at Capone's in Norristown PA.

Makes the most boring thud when you remove the synthetic cork.

Appearance: Pours an attractive cherry pomegranate with a 1 finger off white (slightly cherry tinged) crown that displays moderate retention and decent lace.

Smell: Almonds dominate with slight medicinal cherry cough drop and herbal hop notes. A tinge of actual herbs (sage) also exists in the finish.

Taste: Same as the nose but some pervasive orangina like quality coupled with disgustingly herbal and astringent Belgian hops throws it off completely.

Mouthfeel: A bit over carbonated but the body

Mouthfeel: Nice body on the thick side of medium bodied but too much carbonation.

Drinkability: Drain Pour!!!!

NOTE: I had this beer on tap soon after my bottle sampling and found it to be much better on tap...none of that disgusting powder orange taste at all on tap.

01-11-2011 01:57:35 | More by koopa

02-10-2012 02:28:14 | More by decadance
ejyoung

Arizona

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

Looks really nice - a ruby red color with tons of off white creamy head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Small amount fruit in the nose, mostly just some kind of metallic type smell. Not a whole lot going on.

Taste is about the same - metallic with some tartness. Maybe some cherry flavor, but fairly minor. The tartness is kind of nice, but this isn't what I expected.

Medium body with a low amount of carbonation.

Not impressed overall. It sounded delicious, but the taste doesn't live up to the name.

04-30-2011 03:18:06 | More by ejyoung
Boonedoggle

Nebraska

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%

Serving Type: bottle into brandy snifter

Appearance: One finger head with a lot of lacing. Pours cloudy red

Smell: Not too strong. Has a light lager smell to it with slight sweetness.

Taste: A subtle cherry tartness with an odd bitter aftertaste. I taste a bit of almond in the back of the taste profile.

Mouth: Light bodied. Not that smooth. Very carbonated.

Overall: Given all the ingredients in this beer, it's probably not surprising in how it tastes. It is good for what is has, but it's not the beer for me.

01-05-2012 05:07:12 | More by Boonedoggle
Phelps

Arizona

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

Sometimes, you have to trust the taste buds of your fellow BAs when they say a beer's bad. But sometimes you also just have to say fuck it and find out for yourself. The tiny bottle arrived pre-wrapped on my local stores' shelves like a Christmas present, and I picked it up, my own little white elephant gift to myself.

Poured into my Troegs tulip, the beer shines in the light a slightly chill-hazed cranberry-orange; just the color you'd expect from a cherry/almond beer. The head is a full 1.5 fingers of dense, pinkish-white foam that dissipates at a leisurely pace, leaving bubbly webs of lace behind as it does. Not a bad-looking brew.

The nose is an odd combination of what seems to be lager yeast, artificial cherries and a light nuttiness. Almonds are noticeable and a subtle sweetness emerges as it warms. I don't like it or hate it. I nothing it.

The cherries and almonds are definitely there in the flavor as well, though their synthetic tendencies are more noticeable. Amidst their sweetness is a hefty earthy grain character.
A blast of a flavor that attempts to be sour cherries appears at the swallow. I saw attempts because it falls horribly short; it's more of a weird, funky tang than tartness. The unenjoyable flavors aren't always there; they appear in flashes, attacking like ninjas before returning to the shadows, waiting to strike again.

Light yet peppery carbonation fizzes up the liquid a bit as it moves. The body is medium-light, yet nicely smooth before the bubbles appear.

I'm disappointed in this beer in that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I expected a horror movie and only got a mildly spooky joke. However, considering I paid about $9 for this bottle of not-so-bad beer, I'm still willing to call it nigh undrinkable.

12-31-2010 06:38:35 | More by Phelps
Trilogy31

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a beautiful hazy bing cherry red, with a gorgeous pink hued head that leaves decent lacing but the head quickly leaves. Unfortunately the appearance is the best part of this beer. On the nose i get a touch of hops with sour citrus and a touch of funk. No cherries, no almonds when tasting, i really only get some sour citrus as well as some earthiness. Abv is pretty unoticeable but unfortunately everything else is unoticeable with this beer as well. Sounded interesting and worth a try, but will not revisit.

03-17-2011 03:11:41 | More by Trilogy31
t0rin0

10-29-2012 01:44:30 | More by t0rin0
KAF

Iowa

07-23-2014 01:54:19 | More by KAF
womencantsail

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this fine beverage.

A: It looks pretty. Pours a slightly hazed amber/orange with a minimal off-white head forming.

S: Smells mostly like yeast with a slight tartness. A lot of sugar notes and something that might even be described as corn. I don't really get either the cherries or the almonds.

T: Quite metallic on the flavor. There is no almond and no cherry flavor, but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. There is a bit of a creaminess and tartness on the finish.

M: Medium in body with a low to medium level of carbonation.

O: For a beer advertised as being brewed with cherries and almonds, it falls severely short since it exhibits neither. It also doesn't taste very good.

04-11-2011 06:00:23 | More by womencantsail
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -20.5%

375ml bottle. Brewed with cherries and almonds, though you would have to decipher the Danish-only labeling on the bottles shipped to Canada to know that. Not Mikkeller's fault, however, the distributor, WTF?

This beer pours a cloudy, sediment-specked medium orange-amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, rocky pink-tinged head, which leaves some crooked webbed lacing around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells mildly of sauced cherries, and a bit of caramel maltiness - nothing very much to reel you in. Anyways, the taste is sugared sour cherries, bready caramel malt, some earthy woody notes, perhaps a but nutty, but indistinct at that, and a very subtle gurgling booziness.

The bubbles are not present in any appreciable amount, the body a dodgy medium weight, and a bit too cloying to deserve any smoothness accolades. It finishes off-dry, the seemingly artificially sweetened cherries still running the show, tempered mostly by an herbal hop dryness.

After the initial sleuthing required to determine just what this beer is intended to be, I anticipated the almond adjunct greatly - would it be straight ahead oily nuttiness? Some nice marzipan notes? Nope, just a muddled, if inoffensive and ambitious, example of a fruit beer. Not really worth the $10+ this goes for around here.

03-31-2012 21:59:37 | More by biboergosum
Photo of

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a murky pinkish brown (or perhaps brownish pink) with a rocky 2 finger off white head and a little lacing.

Sour berries, metal and nuts. Really subdued - had to get my nose wet to figure this beer out.

This beer is really confusing. The sourness in the aroma is swapped for this sickly sweet glacé cherry vibe on the palate. There's more metallic notes going on- perhaps from a nasty yeast, and alot of candy sugar. I'm actually getting more and more annoyed by this beer as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally odd. Theres a real creamy buttery feel in the mouth mixed with over carbonation... They don't really complement each other.

Mikkeller what's deal...? You cant keep putting every ridiculous ingredient into a beer, wrapping it up nicely, overpricing it and then expect to maintain some sort of reputation. Wish I spent my money on one of your stouts instead..

01-15-2012 08:29:29 | More by
foogerd

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

A- Dark grapefruit some orange in the middle of the body, one inch head, was sort of clumpy in the middle. Plenty of lacing.

S- I smelled the almonds but it was in a bad way, like chopped up almonds with their shell, the bitterness was prominent. The cherry flavor was there but didnt seem to be the focus. Got a bit of cough syrup aroma at the end.

T- The almonds are tastier on the tongue, here they appear in a vanilla sort of way. Again the cherries dont play as much as a role as I expected.

M- Highly carbonated, refreshing in a way.

D- Got dreary after a few ounces, it lost its novely. Some sips were more interesting than others. Turned out to be less of an interesting brew than I thought it would be, Ive seen this brewery do more.
Conclusion is dont pay what I paid which was 12 bucks, I wouldnt shell out more than 5 dollars for this average experience.

01-30-2011 05:19:38 | More by foogerd
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

This bottle was purchased after, yes after seeing kipple's review of it. Also a BM was sent to him to let him know what I had done. Haha! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy deep blood red with a two finger light pink head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of only sweet malt and sour cherries. The flavor was of sweet malt, almonds (duh!), fermented cherries (duh!), and slight saison spices as it warmed up. It had a medium feel on the palate with mid-high carbonation. Overall.... This one was quite interesting, but not as bad as kipple made it out to be. However, I must say, my palate took a beating on this one. Just so many flavors that lingered well after your sip. I'm honestly just glad that I don't have to melt down my snifter to get rid of the flavor that I was expecting to forever tarnish it. I followed this beer with a world-class hefe to get the flavor out of my mouth. At least this one had AWESOME lacing and a decent mouthfeel though.... Gotta look at your positives.

11-19-2010 12:27:30 | More by thagr81us
MsRif

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

Had on-tap at the Trapp Door in Emmaus, PA. Poured an orange-red color that sort of reminded me of a Shirley Temple. Thin off-white head that quickly fizzled away leaving no lacing. Had an aroma of sour fruits, yeast and sugar. Taste was not very impressive. Sweet, yeasty, and tart fruits. I seriously did not get any almond taste from this brew.

Light to medium in body, with a bit of a syrupy feel. High carbonation. I pretty much left my husband to drink this one as I was not a fan, really. Not terrible, but not really worth it.

11-20-2011 15:26:31 | More by MsRif