Ris A La M'ale - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kkipple on 11-05-2010

1.28/5  rDev -63.7%

A very pretty beer. A reddish color with golden and straw hues. A large pink head with great lacing. The head never really disappeared. Based on color, head retention and lacing I would assume that this beer would be amazing. I was wrong. Faint cherries and a hint of almond with touch of spice, no overwhelming aromas to not just hints and shadows. The taste is laden with cherries in a very well intertwined manor, with a follow-up of almonds and those brown almond skins. A very straightforward beer. The malts are no very present. The carbonation is decent. Overall, I thought this beer was very disappointing however I kept coming back to the thought of how amazing this beer would be with some spicy brett to add complexity. I cannot recommend this beer.

1.41/5  rDev -60.1%

So there I was, hands in my pockets, whistling in the aisles at Green's when Joe sticks his bearded, managerial face out from the stacks. "Hey Kkipple! We just got in a new beer from Mikkeller, check it out!". I do and see an odd, paper-wrapped bottle sitting smugly on the shelf. Upon inquiring as to its deliciousness, Joe simply shrugs and offers the following words that were soon to change my life: "It's not on BA yet."

Well. I'm a sucker for three things: Beers foreign to BA and paper-wrapped bottles. Actually there is a third thing, which is <redacted> So a mere $8.99 later, I am the proud owner of a bottle of Ris a la M'ale. It's advertised as being brewed with cherries and almonds. What will those mad Mikkeller kids think up next?

Two days later, during a Halloween Hair of the Dog tasting, the paper was removed, and the beer poured into three flute glasses for the Tasting Pleasure (TP) of myself, Todes and bobby8405 from the Florida Gang (FG).

Ris a la M'ale pours... well, it poured. It sat in our glasses an ugly pink-red, vaguely Pepto-Bismolesque and hazy. A low, floppy white head left a small amount of lace in the glass. This wasn't pretty. At all.

Well maybe it smells... oh no. No no no no no no. Screaming no. Please don't touch me there no. The table let out a collective, staggered gag as we recoiled our noses from the horrific Ris a la M'poop. Words that were bandied about included: stomach acid, burnt plastic, tires, alkaline, stale cherry, "no almond whatsoever", and "worse than Triple Bock" (or Black Xantus, if you're Arbitrator.) It is barely possible to overstate just how vile, how unappealing, how opposite of good this beer smells. It's all bad sour and terribly, terribly wrong, much like that time you played 30 seconds in Heaven with that brunette in middle school who had the swollen tonsils. Such a let down, plus you got sick the next day.

The flavor is, thank Zeus, not as hideous as the nose, but there is still nothing to recommend here. A fish-eyed vague, watery sour cherry, a nasty herbal tongue-stab, a bizarre salty (yes, salty) finish that has you reaching for your water - all this and more await should you taste the perilous Ris a la M'crap.

Mouthfeel is thin, moderately carbonated, and, frankly Jim, poopy. This is not drinkable. All three of us seasoned vets drain poured it after a few sad, wincing sips.

Mikkel, I love you (heteroly) but there is no reason for this beer to exist. A bad bottle? Possibly. I'd rather eat the paper this thing comes in than try it again though. All but masochists need not apply. I cannot warn you away enough so I'll simply say: if you ignore my pleadings, you drink this at your own peril.

2.01/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

gift from my brother for my birthday. poured into my stone snifter.

a - pours a nice rouge with a finger-plus head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing

s - not a whole lot in the smell on this one, some fruit (cherries, presumably) and slight tart and hops

t - unfortunately this missed the mark. tasted like a fruity budweiser, and that's certainly not a complement. expected this one to be more sour but no tart in the taste. got a little of the almond in the taste but really more bitter than i was expected.

m - lighter bodied with medium carbonation

o - not impressed with this one. haven't had much from mikkeller so i can't judge the brewery as a whole, but this one was way off. i was admittedly hoping from something sour and at least tart and this had neither. not sure if it was the almonds but this really tasted like an alteration on a budweiser recipe.

2.24/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle purchased at Capone's in Norristown PA.

Makes the most boring thud when you remove the synthetic cork.

Appearance: Pours an attractive cherry pomegranate with a 1 finger off white (slightly cherry tinged) crown that displays moderate retention and decent lace.

Smell: Almonds dominate with slight medicinal cherry cough drop and herbal hop notes. A tinge of actual herbs (sage) also exists in the finish.

Taste: Same as the nose but some pervasive orangina like quality coupled with disgustingly herbal and astringent Belgian hops throws it off completely.

Mouthfeel: A bit over carbonated but the body

Mouthfeel: Nice body on the thick side of medium bodied but too much carbonation.

Drinkability: Drain Pour!!!!

NOTE: I had this beer on tap soon after my bottle sampling and found it to be much better on tap...none of that disgusting powder orange taste at all on tap.

2.64/5  rDev -25.2%

Looks really nice - a ruby red color with tons of off white creamy head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Small amount fruit in the nose, mostly just some kind of metallic type smell. Not a whole lot going on.

Taste is about the same - metallic with some tartness. Maybe some cherry flavor, but fairly minor. The tartness is kind of nice, but this isn't what I expected.

Medium body with a low amount of carbonation.

Not impressed overall. It sounded delicious, but the taste doesn't live up to the name.

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

Serving Type: bottle into brandy snifter

Appearance: One finger head with a lot of lacing. Pours cloudy red

Smell: Not too strong. Has a light lager smell to it with slight sweetness.

Taste: A subtle cherry tartness with an odd bitter aftertaste. I taste a bit of almond in the back of the taste profile.

Mouth: Light bodied. Not that smooth. Very carbonated.

Overall: Given all the ingredients in this beer, it's probably not surprising in how it tastes. It is good for what is has, but it's not the beer for me.

2.74/5  rDev -22.4%

Sometimes, you have to trust the taste buds of your fellow BAs when they say a beer's bad. But sometimes you also just have to say fuck it and find out for yourself. The tiny bottle arrived pre-wrapped on my local stores' shelves like a Christmas present, and I picked it up, my own little white elephant gift to myself.

Poured into my Troegs tulip, the beer shines in the light a slightly chill-hazed cranberry-orange; just the color you'd expect from a cherry/almond beer. The head is a full 1.5 fingers of dense, pinkish-white foam that dissipates at a leisurely pace, leaving bubbly webs of lace behind as it does. Not a bad-looking brew.

The nose is an odd combination of what seems to be lager yeast, artificial cherries and a light nuttiness. Almonds are noticeable and a subtle sweetness emerges as it warms. I don't like it or hate it. I nothing it.

The cherries and almonds are definitely there in the flavor as well, though their synthetic tendencies are more noticeable. Amidst their sweetness is a hefty earthy grain character.
A blast of a flavor that attempts to be sour cherries appears at the swallow. I saw attempts because it falls horribly short; it's more of a weird, funky tang than tartness. The unenjoyable flavors aren't always there; they appear in flashes, attacking like ninjas before returning to the shadows, waiting to strike again.

Light yet peppery carbonation fizzes up the liquid a bit as it moves. The body is medium-light, yet nicely smooth before the bubbles appear.

I'm disappointed in this beer in that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I expected a horror movie and only got a mildly spooky joke. However, considering I paid about $9 for this bottle of not-so-bad beer, I'm still willing to call it nigh undrinkable.

2.77/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a beautiful hazy bing cherry red, with a gorgeous pink hued head that leaves decent lacing but the head quickly leaves. Unfortunately the appearance is the best part of this beer. On the nose i get a touch of hops with sour citrus and a touch of funk. No cherries, no almonds when tasting, i really only get some sour citrus as well as some earthiness. Abv is pretty unoticeable but unfortunately everything else is unoticeable with this beer as well. Sounded interesting and worth a try, but will not revisit.

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

375ml bottle. Brewed with cherries and almonds, though you would have to decipher the Danish-only labeling on the bottles shipped to Canada to know that. Not Mikkeller's fault, however, the distributor, WTF?

This beer pours a cloudy, sediment-specked medium orange-amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, rocky pink-tinged head, which leaves some crooked webbed lacing around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells mildly of sauced cherries, and a bit of caramel maltiness - nothing very much to reel you in. Anyways, the taste is sugared sour cherries, bready caramel malt, some earthy woody notes, perhaps a but nutty, but indistinct at that, and a very subtle gurgling booziness.

The bubbles are not present in any appreciable amount, the body a dodgy medium weight, and a bit too cloying to deserve any smoothness accolades. It finishes off-dry, the seemingly artificially sweetened cherries still running the show, tempered mostly by an herbal hop dryness.

After the initial sleuthing required to determine just what this beer is intended to be, I anticipated the almond adjunct greatly - would it be straight ahead oily nuttiness? Some nice marzipan notes? Nope, just a muddled, if inoffensive and ambitious, example of a fruit beer. Not really worth the $10+ this goes for around here.

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this fine beverage.

A: It looks pretty. Pours a slightly hazed amber/orange with a minimal off-white head forming.

S: Smells mostly like yeast with a slight tartness. A lot of sugar notes and something that might even be described as corn. I don't really get either the cherries or the almonds.

T: Quite metallic on the flavor. There is no almond and no cherry flavor, but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. There is a bit of a creaminess and tartness on the finish.

M: Medium in body with a low to medium level of carbonation.

O: For a beer advertised as being brewed with cherries and almonds, it falls severely short since it exhibits neither. It also doesn't taste very good.

Photo of
2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a murky pinkish brown (or perhaps brownish pink) with a rocky 2 finger off white head and a little lacing.

Sour berries, metal and nuts. Really subdued - had to get my nose wet to figure this beer out.

This beer is really confusing. The sourness in the aroma is swapped for this sickly sweet glacé cherry vibe on the palate. There's more metallic notes going on- perhaps from a nasty yeast, and alot of candy sugar. I'm actually getting more and more annoyed by this beer as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally odd. Theres a real creamy buttery feel in the mouth mixed with over carbonation... They don't really complement each other.

Mikkeller what's deal...? You cant keep putting every ridiculous ingredient into a beer, wrapping it up nicely, overpricing it and then expect to maintain some sort of reputation. Wish I spent my money on one of your stouts instead..

2.89/5  rDev -18.1%

A- Dark grapefruit some orange in the middle of the body, one inch head, was sort of clumpy in the middle. Plenty of lacing.

S- I smelled the almonds but it was in a bad way, like chopped up almonds with their shell, the bitterness was prominent. The cherry flavor was there but didnt seem to be the focus. Got a bit of cough syrup aroma at the end.

T- The almonds are tastier on the tongue, here they appear in a vanilla sort of way. Again the cherries dont play as much as a role as I expected.

M- Highly carbonated, refreshing in a way.

D- Got dreary after a few ounces, it lost its novely. Some sips were more interesting than others. Turned out to be less of an interesting brew than I thought it would be, Ive seen this brewery do more.
Conclusion is dont pay what I paid which was 12 bucks, I wouldnt shell out more than 5 dollars for this average experience.

2.96/5  rDev -16.1%

This bottle was purchased after, yes after seeing kipple's review of it. Also a BM was sent to him to let him know what I had done. Haha! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy deep blood red with a two finger light pink head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of only sweet malt and sour cherries. The flavor was of sweet malt, almonds (duh!), fermented cherries (duh!), and slight saison spices as it warmed up. It had a medium feel on the palate with mid-high carbonation. Overall.... This one was quite interesting, but not as bad as kipple made it out to be. However, I must say, my palate took a beating on this one. Just so many flavors that lingered well after your sip. I'm honestly just glad that I don't have to melt down my snifter to get rid of the flavor that I was expecting to forever tarnish it. I followed this beer with a world-class hefe to get the flavor out of my mouth. At least this one had AWESOME lacing and a decent mouthfeel though.... Gotta look at your positives.

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Had on-tap at the Trapp Door in Emmaus, PA. Poured an orange-red color that sort of reminded me of a Shirley Temple. Thin off-white head that quickly fizzled away leaving no lacing. Had an aroma of sour fruits, yeast and sugar. Taste was not very impressive. Sweet, yeasty, and tart fruits. I seriously did not get any almond taste from this brew.

Light to medium in body, with a bit of a syrupy feel. High carbonation. I pretty much left my husband to drink this one as I was not a fan, really. Not terrible, but not really worth it.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

A. Hazy pink tinged brown in color, pours out with very loud fizzy hissing noise from all the carbonation which produces a short lived one finger off-white head and very very very light lacing.

S. Sure enough, there is a huge initial surge of almond syrup and cherry aroma upon removal of the cap. In about one minute, however, most of these aromas dissipate down to an extremely low level relative to the scent of the malts themselves... so enjoy the smell quickly while you can!

T. Slightly soured cherries mixed with a bitter taste of their pit stones, and almonds only really come through as a background element. And when I say "slightly sour", what I am trying to communicate is the concept of close to the lowest possible level of sour that my taste buds seem to be able to detect at all. More like a slight tangy tickle, if you know what I mean. A lot more simple and understated than most of Mikkeller's other works.

M. Has a creamy and smooth mouthfeel that not many fruit beers have. However, carbonation is about 10% too much for my tastes, which contrast-backfires against the creamy texture.. Never really gets 'boozey' from the 8% ABV.

As unusual as the flavor combination is for this beer, somehow it comes across as merely an ordinary fruit beer. I was sort of hoping for something more distinctive and memorable than this.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

The beer pours a pinkish-orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the cherries with a little bit of toffee mixed in. The aroma has some grain notes as well as some almond and cherry aspects. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure what Mikkeller was trying to do with this beer, but this is not up to their usual standards.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

375ml bottle.

Pours a hazy reddish brown with a light pinkish white head.

Aroma is odd in that it's very light with a lot of pilsner-like aromas which I wasn't expecting. Hops and biscuity malts with only hints of the light sugary fruits and nuts mentioned on the label.

Taste is a bit fruitier with some cherry-lollipops mixed in with pale malts and noble hops coming through and forming a light backbone. The finish is fruity and dry.

The mouthfeel is light with lots of carbonation, very crisp but watery overall.

Overall, this was not that impressive for me. Very light and watery feel with less complexity than i was hoping for.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

First had: on tap at Trapp Door, Emmaus, PA

Poured a hazy orange-red with a small layer of off-white bubbles straggling on the top; no real head/retention/lacing to speak of. Tart aroma of ripe fruits, bready yeast, and light sugars. Taste was...not quite as good as I'd expect from the description, really. Sweet sugars up front, melded with bready yeast, tones of subdued cherries, over-ripe melon, and perhaps a touch of almond essence as an afterthought. Medium-bodied, chewy, a bit filmy. Maybe good for a one-time glass, but not something I'd see myself getting again.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

All right.... $9 at the COOP... and I already read the first review... What am I doing spending this kind of cash on one bottle of questionable quality? Oh well... Inflatablechair and I shared some brews tonight... neither of us thought it was terrible, just pretty ordinary.

Foamy 1/2" head is definitely pink tinged... sorta deep orange with a slight reddish hue... nice and clear except on the final pour .. descent cap and only splotches of lace.

Nose is a bit bland, but I swear I pick up on almonds... the cherry is there but muted and still seems like sweet cherries which sometime seem artificial in brews... sorta like the cherry in cherry cough drops aroma.... not bad... just not good.

Not much of a base beer flavor at all... maybe some toasty malt notes.... the cherry is bigger on the palate, but still seems a little artificial.. not getting the almonds really... a bit of minor cherry Ludens on the finish..

Body is an okay lite/medium.. the carbonation is abundant yet small bubble and still pretty smooth ...

Sam says it is like a fruited slightly sweet saison attempt.... I guess I can see that... but I think it is really just an attempt at something different that sorta fell flat on most fronts.

This brew actually really improved with alot of warmth... It's been open now for a couple hours and I'm polishing off the last cup or so, and it is okay.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Served in a yellow Solo cup.

New Year's Eve is beginning to run down now, and I need something to purge my mouth of the Infinium. Let's try some fruit! It pours a mostly clear ruby topped by a thick helping of ecru foam. The nose comprises wheat, cherries, walnuts, and some light cedar. The taste finds the cherries watered down, the walnuts slightly more ascendant, and a large contingent of hard water moving in from the East. The body is a straight medium, with a light carbonation and a lightly syrupy feel. Overall, this was not as good as I was hoping (I couldn't easily finish the cup), though I still don't think it's as bad as others have said. Bottom line: a failed experiment in creating a marzipan beer.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

This opaque ale is iridescent, ruddy brown with a creamy head that turns rocky and lasts a long while, allowing one to notice the subtlety between off white and light pink coloration. When all is done, a sticky coating is left on the glass.

This has a fruity aroma with some sourness of fermented cherries. There is really not much going on here.

Oddly earthy flavors with faint cherry tartness. Bitterness follows long into the finish.

The carbonation is modest in this astringent beer with a medium body.
While worth trying with food, this beer is just average. It does not quite raise to the level of a lambic, nor does it appeal to the freshness of other beers of this style.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

12.7 fl oz green glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Fort Collins Brewery pilsner glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Points off for the green glass; Mikkel knows better than that. Reviewed live. Acquired at Wilbur's in Fort Collins, Colorado.

A: Pours a three finger head of light pink colour, hardly any cream, okay thickness, and good retention. Colour is a murky cloudy light gold-pink. It's interesting, but I don't know that I'd call it appealing.

Sm: Heavy cherry fruit ester hops alongside a moderate amount of yeast. The almonds come through as well when I look for them; elsewise I'd describe it generally as 'nutty'. The cherry in particular is very appealing. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Heavy cherry is the first thing that hits me, but it's clean and fermented - not at all syrupy or artificial. The finish is bit thin on the yeast and features the dying cherry esters, which are too sweet for the third act balance. No alcohol comes through. Overall, it's a bit simple. I search for the almonds and find them deep in the layering. I'm a bit disappointed by the simple build, but the flavour is refreshing if understated, and certainly pleasant. I do like it, I just expected more from Mikkeller.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours nicely. It is, however, entirely too thin - perhaps its main weakness. The tradeoff is likely for drinkability, but I don't know that it was one worth making.

Dr: Highly drinkable, but lacking in full flavour. It comes off rather bland. I wouldn't even describe it as subtle. Very boring compared to other Mikkeller beers. I'm disappointed. Priced horribly as a result of its poor quality. I wouldn't have this again.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour is murky red, kind of a pink grapefruit color with a big bubbly head with a pink tint that reduces to a solid layer of foam with runny lacing. The aroma is kind of weak. A little bit of tart cherries to the nose. But it seems it would be a blend of fresh cherries as well as artificial cherry flavored syrup. Like the stuff used to make an Italian Soda or something to that nature. It's not offensive or anything but it's kind of boring. The taste, who'd of thunk it that there would be a bit more cherries to pop up here? Mostly a kind of tart cherry flavor to start that sweetens out. No almond detected so by now I'm wondering what that brings to the table. Again, it's enjoyable just kind of boring. The mouthfeel isn't bad at all, good carbonation and a nice light body that I would want from a beer like this. Overall the drinkability isn't bad. I'm putting this one down pretty well but for the most park I feel like this one lacks depth. Certainly a unique and sound effort.

3.21/5  rDev -9.1%

This curious looking paper wrapped bottle caught my attention enough to make its way home with me.
Pours a hazy dark red bordering on brown with a huge fluffy and bubbly white head with a pinkish tinge. Smells of tart cherries and lightly sweet malt. Some cough medicine aroma and a touch of alcohol in there just to round it all out. Taste is sweet and tart, I mostly pick up the tart cherries and some darker crystal malt sweetness. Finish is kind of dry but leaves a long lingering syrupy sweetness on the palette. Medium high level of carbonation makes the mouthfeel bubbly with lots of sticky syrup. Medium body. Meh! I really wanted to like this one cherries and almond sound like a great combo in a brown beer base. Sadly this one while not offensive just isn't all that exciting. At 9 dollars for roughly 12 ounces of beer this is one and done.

3.21/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: cloudy orange with red hues; ample amounts of thick, white head. Good retention, strong sticky lace.

S: fruity cherries, sweet almonds. Very subtle overall, hard to detect much else.

T: fruity throughout but not overly sweet. Tartness shows up halfway thru, a touch nutty at the end. Aftertaste isn't nearly as pleasant with bitterness and another flavor I can't quite finger lingering after it goes down.

M: medium-bodied & active, pairs well with the brew.

D: very drinkable forits strength, but this funky aftertaste is keeping me from wanting more.

Ris A La M'ale from Mikkeller ApS