Ris A La M'ale - Mikkeller ApS

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kkipple on 11-05-2010

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

375ml bottle poured into tulip 12/3/12

A murky pinky orange with a slightly pink foam two fingers deep, just enough clarity too see loads of pin prick bubbles feeding the foam that leaves random spider web lacing

S smell like a nutty cherry tootsie roll, that's the best description my mind can grasp

T some earthy twiggy notes that I just can't place with a little tea bag perhaps on top of the nutty cherry tootsie roll I could smell, I wont lie I don't quite understand this one but its decent

M slight heat, a little sticky and sweet, slightly sour and a little syrupy

O something different that's for sure, not really sure what this brew is supposed to be but I didn't mind it

like I just mentioned I really don't know what type of beer this is but I found it interesting nonetheless, I won't be stocking up on this one but it was worth a shot

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Served on-tap at Spuyten Duyvil.

Appearance is a light red with pink head. Its` nose has strawberry, malts, a few spices. An interesting aroma, but very fruity and sweet. Taking a sip and I taste strawberry, some raspberry, a bit of sourness . Mouthfeel is medium, some carbonation. Overall, a pretty solid beer and one that I would recommend ordering for a girlfriend that enjoys rose champagne.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

This opaque ale is iridescent, ruddy brown with a creamy head that turns rocky and lasts a long while, allowing one to notice the subtlety between off white and light pink coloration. When all is done, a sticky coating is left on the glass.

This has a fruity aroma with some sourness of fermented cherries. There is really not much going on here.

Oddly earthy flavors with faint cherry tartness. Bitterness follows long into the finish.

The carbonation is modest in this astringent beer with a medium body.
While worth trying with food, this beer is just average. It does not quite raise to the level of a lambic, nor does it appeal to the freshness of other beers of this style.

3.76/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured a bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A - burnt sienna color, half-finger off-white foamy head. Gentle lacing left on the glass for the duration of the beer.

S - The smell is very underwhelming - belgian funk predominantly, and some sweet almond and a hint of cherry. I expect much more almond and cherry and much less funk.

T - Now this is what I was expecting. Sweet fruit at the front - the cherry is subtle like a real cherry, not syrupy. Finishes with a subtle almond flavor. Booze (8%) is well hidden.

M - Feels like a lambic in the mouth. Light bodied and thin. Good carbonation.

O - Enjoyable but slightly underwhelming. I hear "almond and cherries" and I want to be punched in the face by almond and cherry; in this case, I wasn't. But it's a tasty, enjoyable beer none the less. If you like fruit beers, try it once if you can find it fresh and at a good price.

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%

12.7FL. OZ into flute

A- Slightly hazy dingy reddish color with a three finger off white head that leaves super sticky, chunky lacing.

S- Almonds and cherry syrup. I'm getting a touch of alcohol. There is the slightest hint of chocolate.

T- Chocolate covered cherries, cherry syrup (think watered down maraschino) the almonds come through in a quite artificial sense. Fairly bland tasting, everything is basically coasting through together.

M- Over carbonated, slightly syrupy.

O- I didn't realize that this is based loosely on Ris Ala Mande (Danish Rice Pudding) until I bought it and did some google-fu. This is a novel idea, looks ok, smells good but the taste is just missing it's mark. I think if you had tart cherries and cut back on the syrup this would stick out.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

A. Hazy pink tinged brown in color, pours out with very loud fizzy hissing noise from all the carbonation which produces a short lived one finger off-white head and very very very light lacing.

S. Sure enough, there is a huge initial surge of almond syrup and cherry aroma upon removal of the cap. In about one minute, however, most of these aromas dissipate down to an extremely low level relative to the scent of the malts themselves... so enjoy the smell quickly while you can!

T. Slightly soured cherries mixed with a bitter taste of their pit stones, and almonds only really come through as a background element. And when I say "slightly sour", what I am trying to communicate is the concept of close to the lowest possible level of sour that my taste buds seem to be able to detect at all. More like a slight tangy tickle, if you know what I mean. A lot more simple and understated than most of Mikkeller's other works.

M. Has a creamy and smooth mouthfeel that not many fruit beers have. However, carbonation is about 10% too much for my tastes, which contrast-backfires against the creamy texture.. Never really gets 'boozey' from the 8% ABV.

As unusual as the flavor combination is for this beer, somehow it comes across as merely an ordinary fruit beer. I was sort of hoping for something more distinctive and memorable than this.

Photo of
2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a murky pinkish brown (or perhaps brownish pink) with a rocky 2 finger off white head and a little lacing.

Sour berries, metal and nuts. Really subdued - had to get my nose wet to figure this beer out.

This beer is really confusing. The sourness in the aroma is swapped for this sickly sweet glacé cherry vibe on the palate. There's more metallic notes going on- perhaps from a nasty yeast, and alot of candy sugar. I'm actually getting more and more annoyed by this beer as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally odd. Theres a real creamy buttery feel in the mouth mixed with over carbonation... They don't really complement each other.

Mikkeller what's deal...? You cant keep putting every ridiculous ingredient into a beer, wrapping it up nicely, overpricing it and then expect to maintain some sort of reputation. Wish I spent my money on one of your stouts instead..

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

Serving Type: bottle into brandy snifter

Appearance: One finger head with a lot of lacing. Pours cloudy red

Smell: Not too strong. Has a light lager smell to it with slight sweetness.

Taste: A subtle cherry tartness with an odd bitter aftertaste. I taste a bit of almond in the back of the taste profile.

Mouth: Light bodied. Not that smooth. Very carbonated.

Overall: Given all the ingredients in this beer, it's probably not surprising in how it tastes. It is good for what is has, but it's not the beer for me.

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a reddish/orange color with a massive two finger light pink head. Very hazy and dark in appearance. The nose is on the weak side. I get a little sprite, cherry, and maybe some nut? in there. Definitely on the light side. The taste is a little better... You definitely get the cherry and almond, with a slight sourness. There's also a sweetness to it that offsets the sour. Feel is medium with sweet/sour feel. Slight almond aftertaste. Overall, an interesting beer for the style... You can find better Fruit/Vegetable beers out there though. Cheers.

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

2011 vintage.

Another Mikkeller and I think this has got to be my favorite fruit/vegetable beer to date.

Appearance - is a light ruby red color, almost a reddish gold, definitely a little haze, some carbonation rising from the bottom center of the Duvel Tulip. After harshly pouring it into the tulip a 3.5 finger head developed that was quite frothy snow-white head and left quite a cob-web-like lace all over.

Smell - I got quite a sinus issue so my smell is not all that great. I get tons of cherries and some floral notes, but can't seem to find the almonds or any other aromas.

Taste - Now this is where the fun begins. Right out the gate, the brew gives you a smack to the face with a vibrant/rich like lemon taste that is not sour at all, next you get a breeze of butterscotch as the brew goes down. As soon as that butterscotch vanishes, an unsalted butter comes into play which could be from the almonds. In the finish, there is quite an earthy sensation as well as some floral aspects to that butter. There is even some tartness, but it's almost hidden thanks to that earthy taste.

Mouthfeel - Initially it is very vibrant and rich, and quickly changes to a creamy/buttery brew. Quite dry in the end, but also mouth watering.

Overall - Would definitely get it again, but the price of $8.99 kind of throws me off. Maybe at around $5.99-6.99 it would be a good purchase.

3.91/5  rDev +10.8%

2011 vintage

A - Very nice White foamy head. Some good lacing too. Brew is a bit cloudy, Orange/Brown/Red.

S - Lots of almonds... Almost too much. Some super dark cherries. No sugar, verly little sweetness. Quite pleasant and light.

T/M - Very light and enjoyable. This brew could be session-ed. Very dry with reasonable amount of bitterness. You can tell the cherries and almonds were well blended, otherwise this could easily turn into a mess of a brew... No sourness like I was secretly hoping for... No noticeable heat.

O - A very unique brew. Glad I tried this one. Recommended for the adventuresome beer drinker.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

12.7 fl oz green glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Fort Collins Brewery pilsner glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Points off for the green glass; Mikkel knows better than that. Reviewed live. Acquired at Wilbur's in Fort Collins, Colorado.

A: Pours a three finger head of light pink colour, hardly any cream, okay thickness, and good retention. Colour is a murky cloudy light gold-pink. It's interesting, but I don't know that I'd call it appealing.

Sm: Heavy cherry fruit ester hops alongside a moderate amount of yeast. The almonds come through as well when I look for them; elsewise I'd describe it generally as 'nutty'. The cherry in particular is very appealing. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Heavy cherry is the first thing that hits me, but it's clean and fermented - not at all syrupy or artificial. The finish is bit thin on the yeast and features the dying cherry esters, which are too sweet for the third act balance. No alcohol comes through. Overall, it's a bit simple. I search for the almonds and find them deep in the layering. I'm a bit disappointed by the simple build, but the flavour is refreshing if understated, and certainly pleasant. I do like it, I just expected more from Mikkeller.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours nicely. It is, however, entirely too thin - perhaps its main weakness. The tradeoff is likely for drinkability, but I don't know that it was one worth making.

Dr: Highly drinkable, but lacking in full flavour. It comes off rather bland. I wouldn't even describe it as subtle. Very boring compared to other Mikkeller beers. I'm disappointed. Priced horribly as a result of its poor quality. I wouldn't have this again.

4.82/5  rDev +36.5%

Received this bottle as a gift. The beer is a dark red with medium carbonation. The smell is mostly of cherries. Flavor is quite unique. I was expecting an intense supplication type cherry flavor, but this is a more subtle cherry flavor, with the malt characteristics still coming through. The almonds are not immediately identifiable, but it definitely gives the beer a new dimension. I highly recommend this beer.

2.01/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

gift from my brother for my birthday. poured into my stone snifter.

a - pours a nice rouge with a finger-plus head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing

s - not a whole lot in the smell on this one, some fruit (cherries, presumably) and slight tart and hops

t - unfortunately this missed the mark. tasted like a fruity budweiser, and that's certainly not a complement. expected this one to be more sour but no tart in the taste. got a little of the almond in the taste but really more bitter than i was expected.

m - lighter bodied with medium carbonation

o - not impressed with this one. haven't had much from mikkeller so i can't judge the brewery as a whole, but this one was way off. i was admittedly hoping from something sour and at least tart and this had neither. not sure if it was the almonds but this really tasted like an alteration on a budweiser recipe.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Meh. This is a surprise from Mikkeller. Bottle was a little too cold; poured a nice, cream colored, thick, foamy head that settled down after a bit and some lace. Color is a murky pink orange amber with bits of sediment in suspension. Aroma is malt, cherry, yeast. Flavor is a rather uninteresting blend of malt, sour cherry, carbonic tang, maybe some almonds in there somewhere. Body and carbonation are good. Finsih is like flavor, tapers to a slight bitterness. A fairly mild beer overall, understated.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

On Tap at Khyber Pass Pub for their 1st (56th??) Anniversary party. Poured into a tulip glass.

Mikkeller Ris A La M'ale goes in the glass easy like with a deep red hue bordering on ruby with a white head with the slightest tint of pink, fades quick leaving nothing. The beer looks dead after a bit. Smell is cherry, a lot of it. Some other fruit in the mix with some hard coated candy in the nose after a while. Also get some cream and Indian/Diaper scent with significant wsrming. This is a good representation of the style, similiar in taste like other fruited beers. A vanilla/cream component in the iddle, malt towards the end. Feel is medium with very light carb yet not on the dead side. Sweetness lingers for a bit, almost like a puree sitting on the tounge. A good beer, yet not my style. I would never cop a expensive ass bottle of this, even if I had the money.

A-Wow this pours like a desert beer with a murky blood orange reddish hue which leaves behind a two finger head that slowly dissapates and leaves smoggy islands everywhere and heaps of clingy lacing.

S-Creamy vanilla,nuts,sour cherries and sweaty socks.

T-Sour cherries,vanilla,barnyard funk,a nutty creaminess and finished with a touch of raasperries and sour yoghurt.

M-Creamy nearly full bodied and sour.

O-For me this is a nice desert beer and the one would be enough definately not someting you could drink all night cheers.

4.12/5  rDev +16.7%

This poured out on tap at the Trapp Door, it gives off a reddish orange color with a decent looking head on top. The head fades and just leaves a slight ring around the glass. The smell of this beer reminded me of sweet apple cider and some spice. The taste is also sweet and spicy, really nice for a finisher or a night cap. The mouthfeel has a medium body to it along with a light carbonation. Overall I feel that Mikkeller strikes again with another really interesting brew. I can people not enjoying this but if you have it at the proper time of the day I feel that it will not the spot. I would be interested in having this one again some day.

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Had on-tap at the Trapp Door in Emmaus, PA. Poured an orange-red color that sort of reminded me of a Shirley Temple. Thin off-white head that quickly fizzled away leaving no lacing. Had an aroma of sour fruits, yeast and sugar. Taste was not very impressive. Sweet, yeasty, and tart fruits. I seriously did not get any almond taste from this brew.

Light to medium in body, with a bit of a syrupy feel. High carbonation. I pretty much left my husband to drink this one as I was not a fan, really. Not terrible, but not really worth it.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

First had: on tap at Trapp Door, Emmaus, PA

Poured a hazy orange-red with a small layer of off-white bubbles straggling on the top; no real head/retention/lacing to speak of. Tart aroma of ripe fruits, bready yeast, and light sugars. Taste was...not quite as good as I'd expect from the description, really. Sweet sugars up front, melded with bready yeast, tones of subdued cherries, over-ripe melon, and perhaps a touch of almond essence as an afterthought. Medium-bodied, chewy, a bit filmy. Maybe good for a one-time glass, but not something I'd see myself getting again.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared a bottle with my fiance as a digestive.

Color is a murky rose and caramel orange color with a khaki colored head of about one finger and OK residual foaming. Good bubbling.

The aroma was soft nutty alomnds with faintly tart cherry and biscuit aroma. Not a bad dessert beer aroma.

The taste is simple and sraight forward. Tartish maraschino cherry with light almond syrup flavors. Some toasty biscuit malt flavors come around the finish. The 8% abv. adss a nice warmth to this sweet after dinner brew.
The palate is well carbonated but little powdery dry.

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

After unwrapping like a Christmas present, this beer pours an orange caramel body with hints of rose color along with a crisp pink foam head.
The smell is real cherries with a subtle nuttiness. Somewhat like a seeded dry bread and pie.
Sweetness and tinges of cherry lambic power the taste. Banana esters come through with bites of tart, crunchy apples like Ginger Golds or Honey Crisps. Very nice and interesting.
Quite crisp and dry like a french cherry cidré. The beer presents a good mellow flavor and an easy, refreshing drink.

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle shared by Jon, 375ml into a snifter. Civic day tasting.

Poured a murky reddish brown, lighter pink head with an orange tinge to it. Ridiculous sheets of lacing, sticky and spotty. Nose is cherry, subdued in most respects. Light almond-like qualities, a flatter sweetness that I can't really put my finger on. Slight nutty notes. Taste has a nice mix of cherry and less almond notes; sweet cherry flesh and lightly saccharine. Some dryness in the finish. Clean, sweet and a medium-low carbonation. A bit sticky. Not outstanding, but pretty solid - some good flavours to be found here.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

I am sure its real cherry. Pink lace and head and pink lace is the outstanding appearance characteristic. A little sourness and lots of maltiness. The cherry is overwhelmed by smelling and tasting by its malting.
Jon's bottle.Ok drinakbility, bit what I can expect from a cherry beer is not delivered.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

The beer pours a pinkish-orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the cherries with a little bit of toffee mixed in. The aroma has some grain notes as well as some almond and cherry aspects. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure what Mikkeller was trying to do with this beer, but this is not up to their usual standards.

Ris A La M'ale from Mikkeller ApS