Ris A La M'ale - Mikkeller ApS

Beer added by: kkipple on 11-05-2010

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Max's tonight.

The beer pours a slightly reddish amber orange color with good head retention and considerable lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, showcasing sprite, orange citrus and light cherry. The flavors replicate the nose fairly closely, though its a bit light and watery. There's also something of a metallic taste on the finish that I don't understand and don't really like. Mouthfeel is fairly light, and as already noted, it has something of a watery finish. Drinkability is OK, but this beer just isn't interesting or fun enough to be called very drinkable. Mehhh...

3.21/5  rDev -9.1%

This curious looking paper wrapped bottle caught my attention enough to make its way home with me.
Pours a hazy dark red bordering on brown with a huge fluffy and bubbly white head with a pinkish tinge. Smells of tart cherries and lightly sweet malt. Some cough medicine aroma and a touch of alcohol in there just to round it all out. Taste is sweet and tart, I mostly pick up the tart cherries and some darker crystal malt sweetness. Finish is kind of dry but leaves a long lingering syrupy sweetness on the palette. Medium high level of carbonation makes the mouthfeel bubbly with lots of sticky syrup. Medium body. Meh! I really wanted to like this one cherries and almond sound like a great combo in a brown beer base. Sadly this one while not offensive just isn't all that exciting. At 9 dollars for roughly 12 ounces of beer this is one and done.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured this into a tulip. The pour is murky red, kind of a pink grapefruit color with a big bubbly head with a pink tint that reduces to a solid layer of foam with runny lacing. The aroma is kind of weak. A little bit of tart cherries to the nose. But it seems it would be a blend of fresh cherries as well as artificial cherry flavored syrup. Like the stuff used to make an Italian Soda or something to that nature. It's not offensive or anything but it's kind of boring. The taste, who'd of thunk it that there would be a bit more cherries to pop up here? Mostly a kind of tart cherry flavor to start that sweetens out. No almond detected so by now I'm wondering what that brings to the table. Again, it's enjoyable just kind of boring. The mouthfeel isn't bad at all, good carbonation and a nice light body that I would want from a beer like this. Overall the drinkability isn't bad. I'm putting this one down pretty well but for the most park I feel like this one lacks depth. Certainly a unique and sound effort.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a synthetic cork and caged (and paper wrapped) 375ml bottle into a Mikkeller long stemmed tulip.

Back label code: 7511008

A: Pours a deep dark pink with two fingers of light pink meringue on top. Retention was excellent as was the lacing. Carbonation was somewhat active.

S: Cherries and almonds. As it warmed, it began to smell a bit like a cherry almond torte. I also picked up on some mildly Saison-ish spicing that, sadly, wasn't more in the forefront.

T: Pretty agreeable cherry flavor. I think the almonds actually tone down what could've been overly bright cherry. Once again, Saison spices lurking in the background with a bit of sweet malt.

M: The sweetness of a fruit beer with the spicy dryness of a Saison. Finishes dry and a bit peppery. Astringent spiciness cleanses the tongue of any remnants of fruit.

D: After glancing at kkipple's review score (KRS) for this I braced myself for a truly horrifying experience...and I was pleasantly surprised. Not quite sure what Mikkel was going for with this (an after holiday dinner dessert beer?) but I enjoyed it. This actually would function quite well as a stomache settler after a gut-busting Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dinner. Relatively light with almost non-existant alcohol presence.

2.96/5  rDev -16.1%

This bottle was purchased after, yes after seeing kipple's review of it. Also a BM was sent to him to let him know what I had done. Haha! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy deep blood red with a two finger light pink head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of only sweet malt and sour cherries. The flavor was of sweet malt, almonds (duh!), fermented cherries (duh!), and slight saison spices as it warmed up. It had a medium feel on the palate with mid-high carbonation. Overall.... This one was quite interesting, but not as bad as kipple made it out to be. However, I must say, my palate took a beating on this one. Just so many flavors that lingered well after your sip. I'm honestly just glad that I don't have to melt down my snifter to get rid of the flavor that I was expecting to forever tarnish it. I followed this beer with a world-class hefe to get the flavor out of my mouth. At least this one had AWESOME lacing and a decent mouthfeel though.... Gotta look at your positives.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

All right.... $9 at the COOP... and I already read the first review... What am I doing spending this kind of cash on one bottle of questionable quality? Oh well... Inflatablechair and I shared some brews tonight... neither of us thought it was terrible, just pretty ordinary.

Foamy 1/2" head is definitely pink tinged... sorta deep orange with a slight reddish hue... nice and clear except on the final pour .. descent cap and only splotches of lace.

Nose is a bit bland, but I swear I pick up on almonds... the cherry is there but muted and still seems like sweet cherries which sometime seem artificial in brews... sorta like the cherry in cherry cough drops aroma.... not bad... just not good.

Not much of a base beer flavor at all... maybe some toasty malt notes.... the cherry is bigger on the palate, but still seems a little artificial.. not getting the almonds really... a bit of minor cherry Ludens on the finish..

Body is an okay lite/medium.. the carbonation is abundant yet small bubble and still pretty smooth ...

Sam says it is like a fruited slightly sweet saison attempt.... I guess I can see that... but I think it is really just an attempt at something different that sorta fell flat on most fronts.

This brew actually really improved with alot of warmth... It's been open now for a couple hours and I'm polishing off the last cup or so, and it is okay.

1.41/5  rDev -60.1%

So there I was, hands in my pockets, whistling in the aisles at Green's when Joe sticks his bearded, managerial face out from the stacks. "Hey Kkipple! We just got in a new beer from Mikkeller, check it out!". I do and see an odd, paper-wrapped bottle sitting smugly on the shelf. Upon inquiring as to its deliciousness, Joe simply shrugs and offers the following words that were soon to change my life: "It's not on BA yet."

Well. I'm a sucker for three things: Beers foreign to BA and paper-wrapped bottles. Actually there is a third thing, which is <redacted> So a mere $8.99 later, I am the proud owner of a bottle of Ris a la M'ale. It's advertised as being brewed with cherries and almonds. What will those mad Mikkeller kids think up next?

Two days later, during a Halloween Hair of the Dog tasting, the paper was removed, and the beer poured into three flute glasses for the Tasting Pleasure (TP) of myself, Todes and bobby8405 from the Florida Gang (FG).

Ris a la M'ale pours... well, it poured. It sat in our glasses an ugly pink-red, vaguely Pepto-Bismolesque and hazy. A low, floppy white head left a small amount of lace in the glass. This wasn't pretty. At all.

Well maybe it smells... oh no. No no no no no no. Screaming no. Please don't touch me there no. The table let out a collective, staggered gag as we recoiled our noses from the horrific Ris a la M'poop. Words that were bandied about included: stomach acid, burnt plastic, tires, alkaline, stale cherry, "no almond whatsoever", and "worse than Triple Bock" (or Black Xantus, if you're Arbitrator.) It is barely possible to overstate just how vile, how unappealing, how opposite of good this beer smells. It's all bad sour and terribly, terribly wrong, much like that time you played 30 seconds in Heaven with that brunette in middle school who had the swollen tonsils. Such a let down, plus you got sick the next day.

The flavor is, thank Zeus, not as hideous as the nose, but there is still nothing to recommend here. A fish-eyed vague, watery sour cherry, a nasty herbal tongue-stab, a bizarre salty (yes, salty) finish that has you reaching for your water - all this and more await should you taste the perilous Ris a la M'crap.

Mouthfeel is thin, moderately carbonated, and, frankly Jim, poopy. This is not drinkable. All three of us seasoned vets drain poured it after a few sad, wincing sips.

Mikkel, I love you (heteroly) but there is no reason for this beer to exist. A bad bottle? Possibly. I'd rather eat the paper this thing comes in than try it again though. All but masochists need not apply. I cannot warn you away enough so I'll simply say: if you ignore my pleadings, you drink this at your own peril.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last