Koppi Coffee IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Koppi Coffee IPAKoppi Coffee IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

A coffee-IPA.

Ingredients: Water, malt, barley flakes, Tomahawk hops, coffee and yeast.

The coffee comes from Swedish coffee roasting-house Koppi.

The first batch had Guji Natural organic coffee from Sidamo, Ethiopia.

The second batch had Odoo Shakiso Coffee from Ethiopia.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij, Belgium.

(Beer added by: bark on 01-27-2011)
2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

Really have looked forward to this one and was excited to find it at Argonaut liquors in Denver.

A: slightly hazy, orangish-gold, some light carbonation and light lacing.

S: Burnt, acrid coffee grounds and dirt. Lots of both. earthy, mushroom like hop smell is there too. The slightly musty, citrusy hops are barely there. I wonder what this would be like fresh, but it really isn't pleasant right now.

T: more earthy, burnt tasting, coal and ash. It tastes like chewing on old coffee grounds and some earthy weird hops. Not pleasant by any means. I didn't expect to struggle to drink a glass with my friends. There is some slight malt sweetness there, but that's the only redeeming quality.

M: slick, oily, slightly thin. light carbonation.

O: I really was let down by this. I figured at the worst, it would be weird and not meld well with the hops and coffee. Instead, the coffee character was disguisting, and the ipa character was nonexistent or barely there. What a mess. I know this is difficult to brew or nail, but this was a huge waste of excitement and money.

Ricelikesbeer, Apr 29, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured into a Mikkeller wine-style glass. No freshness dating that I can tell, but 7521103 is stamped on the back label.

Appearance
What a muddy looking beer, but I pretty much expected that. The head is amazingly large and the lacing is copious, but the beer itself is pretty nasty looking. It’s a fully muddied, dirty pond water burnt orange. Quite unlike any other beer I’ve seen, which is a good thing.

Aroma
I’ll give this a score this high for accomplishing what this beer sets out to be. Lots of hops build an aroma of a very mediocre IPA. It smells like its going to be pretty hoppy, but also very piney and overly bitter. Coffee is stronger than I expected. I figured either the hops or the coffee would have to suffer. But as far as the aroma goes, neither of them do. There is a spiced tea quality that is formed as two worlds collide. The coffee smells like a fresh brewed cup of black coffee. Said java becomes very aromatic upon swirling. For the most part the earthy roast of the coffee and the pine and citrus of the hops clash in a violent discord, but every other sniff clicks and the citrus matched up with the acidic, fruitier qualities of the coffee.

Taste
This sure is a strange beast. I almost don’t know where to begin. It seems as if the hops lose out to the coffee here, but not without a fight. There is a little bit of raggedy, bitter pine aggressiveness, which is what I’ve begun to associate with hops like Tomahawk. But this hoppiness falls off very fast, making way for a stale, bland, oil coffee taste. Its pretty gross; like the second running’s of day old grounds. Then, as abruptly as the flavors started, they disappear. The finish is hollow, vapid, and ghosted with only notions of past flavors.

Mouthfeel
Expressively carbonated. This stuff fizzes up way to quickly and sharply. The body is thin, made to feel thinner by the fizz. This beer is very dry as the carbonation seems to keep the beer off of the palate.

Overall
Weird, wacky stuff. I’m glad I got to try it, but I wish it weren’t in 750s, and I wish it were cheaper. IPAs seem best when untampered with.

MbpBugeye, Sep 10, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -37.7%

Whoa, pours orange. . . never had a coffee beer pour orange, was expecting brown. Aroma doesn't have coffee in it, starting to wonder if there was a mislabled bottle or something. Smells just like a pale or ipa without coffee.

Taste, again, where's the damn coffee? Mildly hoppy. This seems neither an ipa, nor a beer with coffee. What the hell? Lame attempt at explanation from shop keeper was that its the mild Ethiopian coffee and our American palates aren't in tune with it. Yeah, I call bullshit.

As the beer warms, you can find the ever so slight coffee nuance. Extremely disappointing. And to pay $12 for this bottle is even more bullshit. Would not recommend. Says coffee & tomahawk hops on the label, you really have to search the palate to find either one.

Beerandraiderfan, May 06, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -36.6%

Really not sure how I feel about this. Really light, traditional IPA colour with a big white head. Okay - fits IPA, but no trace of coffee in the appearance. Ground coffee, chocolate and fruit in the nose. Really tart, bitter taste with a fruity acidity. The coffee really doesn't translate well to the taste. Acidic, bitter and muddled. Fruits, hops, malts...nothing strong really comes through. Good carbonation, but I really don't think I could stand more than one.

BDTyre, Jul 16, 2011

spacecoyote, Jan 28, 2012

vayix, Sep 06, 2013

deapokid, Nov 26, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

750 ml bottle poured into my Stone tulip. Thanks to hoptualbrew for the hookup.

A: Murky deep orange color. A small white head quickly faded to nothing, no lace.

A: Sweet caramel malt, nice citrus notes, and bitter coffee.

T: Sweet and bitter. Almost too bitter, the hops and the coffee create a bitter bomb. They tried to balance the bitterness with the addition of caramel malt, but it was not succesful.

M: Medium to full body, over the top carbonation. Very tingely mouthfeel, not smooth.

O: Interesting, as are most Mikkeller brews, but IMO, not sucessful. Too bitter and too sweet for my taste. Glad I got to try, but will not seek again. Skal.

Gtreid, Dec 04, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

The beer is clouded dark amber, has an off-white to tan head with some lacing.

The smell is like old coffee from the brewer, an additional dried pea nuance.

Upfront bread and fudge, then some citric aspects, but the peas and old cold coffee is dominant to me.

Medium carbonation, soft texture and a good body.

I like coffee, warm! I like beer (most of it)! But this combo does not attract me. Coffee stouts are fine. Tasted at a beer sampling at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

rarbring, Mar 12, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured a deeply hazed orange color into my tulip snifter and put up a huge 2-1/2 finger head, large bubbles - slight smell of the coffee, not much in the way of hops - taste was kind of the same, and I didn't really like it -bitter- mouthfeel was on par with a decent ipa - I gotta say I was looking forward to this beer - thought it would be interesting, but I quickly lost interest - this is the first coffee/ipa I've had, and I would have thought Mikkeller would be able to pull it off, but not this time, not for me - I tried my 2nd and 3rd glass at different times of the day, to make sure, but no - it left me feeling 'not so good' -

JoeBloe, Mar 31, 2014

Zaphog, Mar 26, 2012

psdonnelly, Sep 07, 2014

t0rin0, Oct 29, 2012

Soneast, Oct 01, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

On tap at Max's.

Hazy orange with a dense, off-white head with nice retention and lacing. The nose is dominated by caramel, hop character that makes me think of Centennial hops. There's a subtle coffee character as well, a sweeter, lighter roast. Not nearly as aggressive as I was expecting, given this beers pedigree. Too sweet, but the hop character is nice.
The palate opens with candied oranges and plenty of bitterness. Coffee is obscured, peeking through in the mid-palate and also in the finish. Bitterness is high, as is the carbonation. Too big in body for an IPA, this is not a very enjoyable beer.

DefenCorps, Mar 24, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Odoo Shakiso edition.

The colour is orange-gold-amber. The liquid is hazy like a hefeweizen. The high yellowish head sinks slowly leaving lots of lacing.

The smell is very hoppy with sweet notes of honey and flowers. A grand bitterness that, at times, leaves room for a dry almost harsh and frowsy coffee flavour.

The taste is a blend of sweet mild coffee and a clean bitter American IPA with notes of grapefruit, pine and bitter herbs. The aftertaste is quite mild with notes of old grinded coffee. In the finish, the citric bitterness returns.

The carbonation is medium strong. The medium sized bubbles are very short lasting. The liquid is dry and quite light.

An IPA with added coffee… The main problem is that the two flavour families never marry in my mouth: It is either a bitter IPA or not-that-fresh coffee flavours.

bark, Jun 16, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

Had on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

A - a bit of a haze on this straw colored ale. Nice head retention.

S - muted citrus hops, and a very mild coffee scent. I admit I'm reaching for the coffee smell. Not much there.

T - tastes of sweetness and mild citrus flavors. Once again, not getting much of the coffee here.

M - this a smooth sipping beer. Mellow carbonation and medium bodied.

O - I was expecting a lot more out of this beer. It just didn't live up to my expectations. It tasted like a regular ipa, just a lot more expensive. Glad I got to try it, but will not be purchasing any more of this.

Koufax21, Oct 23, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

Tomahawk X Guji Natural - 750mL bottle.

Appearance -- Pours a hazed orange, ruby in the heart, with a finger of creamy beige head. Great head retention.

Smell -- Citrus, grass, bready malt, slight musty dankness. Not a whole lot going on.

Taste -- Lemon and tangerine, prairie grasses, bready malt and caramel sweetness. Hop bittering is moderate, though this may be a matter of freshness. While certainly hop-forward as pales go, it is a very mild sipper. No roast coffee flavor whatsoever, unless that grassiness is coming from the beans.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with milder carbonation. Alcohol heat was much higher than expected given the abv.

Drinkability -- Drinkable, but not exciting. My only real quip was the alcohol heat. As far as the coffee was concerned, it was nearly nonexistent. Assuming that the coffee was added green or nearly green (see notes below), it added grassiness and some mild earthy dankness. If this is the case, couldn't Mikkeller have conjured up that character in the hopping? Interesting idea, no follow through.

Additional Notes -- I shared this bottle with no less than FOUR professional coffee roasters. They could detect the Guji within the beer, if only slightly, and all were convinced that the beans had to have been added green (unroasted) or nearly green.

yeahnatenelson, Mar 06, 2011