Koppi Coffee IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Beer added by: bark on 01-27-2011

A coffee-IPA.

Ingredients: Water, malt, barley flakes, Tomahawk hops, coffee and yeast.

The coffee comes from Swedish coffee roasting-house Koppi.

The first batch had Guji Natural organic coffee from Sidamo, Ethiopia.

The second batch had Odoo Shakiso Coffee from Ethiopia.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij, Belgium.
Ratings: 362 | Reviews: 169
3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass april2 2011

A hazy orange amber with a solid light tan head that retains to the very bottom of the glass and leaves some random lace

S earthy hops, tea bag and cold sweet coffee, not bad but weird for an IPA

T what I imagine wet spring thaw leaves to taste like with more cold coffee and some booze I couldn't smell

M medium bodied with decent carbonation, flavors linger and so dose a little grit on the gums

O not a combination I look for in an IPA, the coffee mingles poorly with the earthy hops

perhaps with a much darker malt this could work but then of coarse it wouldn't be the worlds first coffee IPA. I like Mikkeller about as much as a man can like a brewer but some of the gimmicks don't work for me but hey at least its not the same old same old

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Shared around last weekend during a night of epic beer tasting.

It appears with a light coppery coloration, a huge creamy head tops it with good retention and leaves fat lacing on the glass as it dissipates.

The smell outputs some bitter hops scents like apple and citrus as well as a malty caramel. It was also described as a green tea like aroma, and it was interesting to note that there were no coffee smells.

The taste is mainly an ipa flavor, a bitter aftertaste with some floral citrus in the fore to start you off. Where is the coffee? We were all kind of disappointed that there was none.

Overall we thought it wasn't a bad beer, just not worth $15

3.27/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Bottle dated: 7521103, 2nd batch (Tomahawk x Odoo Shakiso)

A: Poured a deep amber, burnt orange color with 2 fingers worth of khaki colored head. The head is tightly packed with small bubbles which recedes leaving behind some spotted lacing.

S: Nose is piney, some floral with some light tropical fruit, and ends with some caramel sweetness that enhances or complements the pine notes. I'm picking up some faint roasted notes, not convinced of coffee though.

T: Taste is bitter upfront, big piney notes that somehow get counter balanced by some malt sweetness. At the back end I'm getting a bitter note, almost like chewing on roasted coffee beans.

M: Light/Medium bodied; Mouthfeel is a bit too light, carbonation was a bit low as well. I didn't feel that the flavors really meshed well at all. Overall, I did not understand the flavors and felt that they were a bit disjointed. My palate never was refreshed nor cleaned. The coffee notes were rarely noticed, except for the end notes of the taste.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

When I saw this one at Abe's I was pretty stoked to try it. This brewery usually impresses me quite a bit and since I've never seen a Coffee IPA before I knew I had to try it. The beer poured out as a light brown color with a pretty nice looking head on top. The smell of the beer was hoppy, I struggled to get the coffee aromas at any point while having this one. The taste was the same way... All I got was hops, I tried blowing my nose and everythig to possibly clear my senses a little and still no coffee in this one for me. The mouthfeel was decent, I feel that it was just about average to most IPA's. Overall I found this one to be a little bit of a disappointment.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

330ml bottle. Tumbler glass. Enjoyed on agt´12. Pale orangish amber in color. Foggy appearance. Yellowish white foam quickly dissipates while leaves a thin layer on top. Strong resiny, piney & woody aromas. As expected from aromas, flavor presents a bitter resiny & woody touch. Unexpected coffee notes are present too. Full body. Moderate carbonation. Dense oily texture. Fruity hints & sharp bitterness shown into the finish. Subtle but increasing coffee flavor rounds the aftertaste. Interesting beer.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle - A hazy copper pour into an oversized snifter with a solid 2" beige head that hung out for a few minutes.

Aroma is sharp citrus with a floral hop character. Not particularly strong There is a hint of sweet malt or honey in the background as well.

Flavor is a bitter grapefruit, honey and pine with a nice grassiness to finish. There is slight caramel and an almost lactose like softness. Milk duds come to mind. Starts somewhat malty but finishes fairly dry with only a little lingering sweetness.

This is a somewhat decent IPA overall but I'm left a bit underwhelmed. I didn't detect anything that I could distinctly identify as coffee, although it did have a strange softness to it amidst the bitterness. Don't get me wrong, drinking this one certainly didn't suck. The hop flavor was nice but nothing stood out as remarkable. For a $12 beer billed as a Coffee IPA, I feel this one misses the mark.

3.41/5  rDev -11%

Koppi Coffee IPA pours an orange stained copper color. It’s very hazy and has a distinct orange tint when held to light. It’s topped with a really nice cream colored head that stands about two and a half fingers tall. It’s very slow to dissipate and leaves thick, sheets of sticky lace behind. Looks good!

The nose is interesting. It’s not bad, but not quite what I expected. First off, I’m not getting any coffee at all. Disappointing for a coffee IPA. There’s definitely a good bit of sweet caramel malt. Not my favorite thing. Hops are relatively strong in the mix. I’m getting a good mix of earthy, grassy hops, as well as some light pine and citrus. Pretty diverse mix. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but doesn’t seem strong. It’s not bad, but isn’t very good either.

The flavor’s pretty good. It’s definitely not what I’d hoped. I’m still not getting any coffee and am quite disappointed about that. Caramel malt certain anchors things down and adds quite the sweet flavor to the overall mix. Hops are definitely diverse. I’m getting grass, pine, and citric notes of orange and grapefruit. It’s a little bitter, but is balanced quite a bit by the malt presence. Nonetheless, it definitely leans in the hop direction. Alcohol is mildly noticeable. Finishes a little bitter and dry.

The body is medium. Carbonation feels active and a tad buzzy. It’s not quite smooth. It still goes down alright though. I should finish off the 750 without much trouble. Honestly though, I think a 500 ml bottle might have been the better choice.

Koppi Coffee IPA is interesting. As an IPA, it’s not bad. I could deal with a little less malt and perhaps a few less bubbles. I like it alright though. On the other hand, it is not quite the coffee IPA is holds itself out as. In fact, there’s nothing here to suggest coffee’s present other than the label. If you’re in the market for a pretty good IPA, it’s not a bad choice. If you’re looking for a true coffee IPA…keep searching.

3.41/5  rDev -11%

A - Poured out a hazy, golden amber color with a two-finger, off white head of bubbly foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled grassy and not much else. No coffee aroma. Hmmm, a coffee IPA?

T - It tasted grassy with a sweet caramel backbone. It was nice bitter but there was still no coffee taste.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is a nice IPA. I still didn't get any thing remotely coffee-like.

bottle cap read 08/12/12

pours slightly hazy dark orange with a 2 finger head that left no lacing

smells of fruity hops and nothing else i can pick up on

taste - where is the coffee???? did they use sanka?? well even though i can not pick up on any coffee thats not to say this is a bad ipa because it is not - the flavor is very fruity hops and bready malts

mouthfeel is light medium body with lots of carbonation

overall - yes the name is very misleading (no coffee in the flavor) and it is way over priced for what kind of beer it is - but i did enjoy the flavor - all this said the price kills it $14 a bottle is way too much for a beer that tasted like blvd single wide($7 a sixer)

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a hazy amber color with a big, frothy white head that leaves little chunks of lacing.

Smells of grass and citrus hops.

Tastes of the clean hops upfront with a decent malt base. Hops lead off with grass, citrus, and a bit of pine. Malt base comes through and adds some slight fruit sweetness. Coffee is not particularly noticeable. Ends with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly assertive amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit of a disappointment. The coffee is not present and the price ($13.30 for a 750mL) is not worth it.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle served into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm, Sweden. Reviewed live.

A: Two finger head of nice lovely cream lacing and great thickness. Retention is excellent. Colour is a murky cloudy off-copper.

Sm: IPA bittering hops, caramel, and ever-so-slight fruit ester hops, maybe raspberry. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Bittering hops, light cream, and maybe raspberry. Very simple actually. A disappointment from Mikkeller. No coffee comes through whatsoever. It's a fruity IPA. There's not even roast. Mikkeller's me favourite brewery in the world, but this is lackluster. I expected coffee at least. Built alright and balanced decently, but fails to be special.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with a lot of IPA-typical coarseness. Doesn't perfectly match the flavours of the body, but it's close.

Dr: Relatively high ABV, false advertising, limited quality, and a disappointment from me favourite brewery. Only hardcore fans of the style need apply.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours hazy orange/amber with a large, lasting head.
Nose shows resinous hops, grapefruit, heaps of clean malt with some caramel as well, and a soft, earthy, chocolaty coffee character.
Flavours instead seem to show the roasty, bitter side of the coffee, although the hops are what really stand out. Massive, piney, grapefruit-like bitterness completely dominates, although some alcohol rears it's ugly head in the finish. Way too harsh and bitter.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber appearance. Hazy, though wondering if the degree is due to the fact that this was a hopped beer brewed a few months ago, and it was imported. Frothy head. Effervescent. Smell and taste: pine, and sweet citrus. Very faint caramel? Bitter, dry finish. It's a great IPA, and I would definitely drink it again. A little disappointed I didn't pick out any roasted or coffee notes. Perhaps I'm not in the right mood or my palate wasn't clean enough. But I've been waiting for this beer to hit the shelves since January expecting to taste something totally unique and mind blowing. Great beer, but I think my fantasies of what this beer was going to taste like hindered my actual experience of it.

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to Chris at Boo's who snagged quite a few hard to find brews this season.
appearance: Hazy honey amber. Fat creamy head.
smell: nice though fairly run if the mill ipa hops smell. A hint of coffee elevates.
taste: Much like the nose. Average ipa but the hint of coffee distinguishes.
overall: Not a stand out but applaud Mikkeller's innovation.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I prefer Mikkeller's Sleep Over Coffee IPA over this particular beer.

Served at Durty Nellies.

A: appears orange and clear with a sticky white head, lots of lacing and good retention

S: fruity and spicy hops along with pine notes and earthy noptes, some grapefruit among other citric qualities. Coffee is lost in the aroma. This smells nice for an IPA, but considering that it is billed as a Coffee IPA, I was expecting some coffee aromatics.

T: palate starts smooth and balanced and then turns sweet and syrupy. Big bitterness come in at the end which is the first time that I detect a faint hint of coffee. The finish is slightly roasty with big bitterness. It seems that the coffee primarily adds bitter components but largely gets lost by the assertive hop profile.

MF: thick body, almost syrupy

O: Interesting brew, but I can't help but feel like the addition of coffee is more of a gimmick than anything.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I had this beer on tap at Monks in Philly. I was intrigued by the notion of a coffee IPA because I wanted to be venturous and have a complex style of beer. I was feeling a little bold.
On-tap into a tulip glass.

A - Hazy, cloudy burnt orange color with amber/ruby hints. Creamy lacy head that was ressiliant.
S - There was citrus in the head and no coffee which supprised me. I was looking hard for a few notes and didn't find any. Still the citrus was light and nice.
T & M & D - Citrus clean font on this beer with malty sweetness and a few roast tones. Once again I had to go searching for the coffee and I found a few notes of it on the back end in the back of the palate. Other than that the beer was clean and medium bodied with a mild level of carbination.
The beer was nice, but nothing that popped and made you say wow. A good/decent beer.

-Cheers

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

From 750 mL bottle to Mikasa pint glass

A: Pours golden-apricot in color, viscous, with a fluffy, cavernous, 2-inch head that leaves thick patches of lacing everywhere. Slightly opaque with a chilled haze, this brew looks damn inviting.

S: Not sure if it needs to be warmer, but there's barely a scent here. Subtle notes of citrusy hops linger, maybe some honey malts and tea like aromas. That's about it. Not a hint of coffee.

T: The palate is much more pronounced than the nose, delivering a fairly traditional West Coast style IPA flavor-profile. Lemon-citrus hops meets honey-laced malts, nicely balanced, with notes of earthy tea and whole grain crackers in tow. Finishes slightly bitter-sweet. Again, not a trace of coffee.

M: Medium-bodied, fairly viscous, but not nearly as much as the appearance would imply. Ample carbonation cleans the palate between each sip.

A pretty solid IPA, I'd drink this again, but it loses some points for the coffee thing (coffee is probably my second-favorite beverage to beer, I drink freshly ground black coffee every morning). I'm not sure coffee and IPA's mix that well in the first place, but I was expecting something a little more adventurous.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - murky burnt orange hue, tall tan head had solid retention
S - strong perfumy odour, piney, grainy, slightly sour, and very subtle coffee
T - very perfumy and floral hops up front, some pine, sharp grainy malt, and like the nose the coffee is so subtle its almost not there until the late finish
M - medium body, spicy and slightly astringent dry finish
O - must admit I was very excited for this and a little disappointed by the lack of coffee presence, mad respect for making a coffee beer outside the stout/porter convention though, still a tasty and very drinkable IPA

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draft at Capone's on 2/17/11.

Pours a hazy copper/amber color with burnt orange hues when held to a light and a 1.5 finger frothy, pillowy white head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that leaves sporadic chunks of lacing behind.

Slightly toasted malt aroma with subtle roast character. Hints of toffee, biscuit, caramel and rye but not much coffee. Underneath the malt there is a nice citrus hop character with hints of orange and lemon peel. Subtle notes of biscuit and graham cracker.

On the fuller end of medium bodied with a blast of bitter yet sweet hop flavor that lingers throughout over the toasty malt backbone into a nice dry finish. Toasted malt with hints of biscuit, caramel and rye but again, not much coffee. Only slightly roasted with faint graham cracker and biscuit malt notes. Nicely balanced with some lactic cream and citrus orange peel but I was expecting a bit more coffee flavor.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 750 ml. bottle into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep, cloudy amber/brown. ~3 fingers of tan head, which fades slowly to a nice cap. Excellent retention.

S- Piny, musky, roasty, and a bit earthy/astringent, followed by a subdued caramel sweetness.

T- Earthy, slightly piny hops...bready, lightly acrid coffee note, and a bit of caramel sweetness. Moderate bitterness that seems to build and become more astringent as consumed.

M- Moderate carbonation with a medium feel, and a bit dry.

O- Pretty good. This falls into the gray realm of interesting and fairly pleasing, but not great...an oddity that is worthy, if not awe-inspiring.

Future outlook: Didn't know what to make of this when I picked it up off the shelf, and it didn't fail to deliver on the confusion...an unusual brew that I'm happy to have scratched the itch of trying, but don't need to revisit anytime soon.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Moeder Lambic in Brussels, just looking for a one-pint change of pace from the lambic and gueuze that were the main focus. This was served in a goblet, a hazy beer with light orange color and a few fingers of white foam.

I didn't smell any coffee, but this did have a non-IPA aroma mixed in with the aromatic hops. It may have been more like coffee creamer than coffee, at least that's what I smelled. Maybe musky is a good descriptor.

Subtle for sure, and the same character defines the flavor too. The citrusy hops are balanced by a slightly sweet caramel malt, and flavored throughout with coffee creamer added with a very light touch. Lactic I suppose. Strong bitter bite in the aftertaste.

I liked this quite a bit, an interesting mixture of current styles, it comes across as odd but tasty.

1 pint 9.4 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is murky. The color is dark amber, almost rust colored. I was expecting it to appear darker. There are some light amber to golden highlights. A rocky, tan head is stacked on top.

S - I immediately notice citrus. I do not notice much of a coffee aroma.

T - The taste has the coffee in it. It has citrus flavor as well. It tastes like a weak black IPA.

M - Medium

O - It is an interesting beer. There is enough flavor to make it quaffable, but not enough flavor to blow anyone's mind. The price is awfully high for a slightly above average beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a 1" head that slowly falls to a very thick surface covering.

Smell: grapefruit, grass, and some soft fruit sweetness is all you can detect.

Taste: caramel, grapefruit, lemon zest, green apples, and a hearty bitterness are the main flavors. The coffee only shows up very late and it is barely noticeable. I expected a bit more coffee punch with this.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, lightly crisp and a touch dry at the finish. Aftertaste is long as the graperuit and bitterness linger a while.

Overall: decent IPA, but based on the idea of a coffee IPA, this one just doesn't deliver the coffee part of it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: 1" tan coloured head that left a slight lacing over cloudy brown liquid.

S: Strange combination of coffee, malt, and floral hops.

T: Bitter up front with a combination of coffee, caramel, malt, and pine hops. Too many competing flavors that do not work well together.

M: Medium viscosity and a high level of fine carbonation.

O: Even though this beer is better on the warm, thie beer is bitter not not very drinkable. There are too many competing flavours for this to be as enjoyable as it could be.

Koppi Coffee IPA from Mikkeller ApS