Koppi Coffee IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Koppi Coffee IPAKoppi Coffee IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

A coffee-IPA.

Ingredients: Water, malt, barley flakes, Tomahawk hops, coffee and yeast.

The coffee comes from Swedish coffee roasting-house Koppi.

The first batch had Guji Natural organic coffee from Sidamo, Ethiopia.

The second batch had Odoo Shakiso Coffee from Ethiopia.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij, Belgium.

(Beer added by: bark on 01-27-2011)

appearance- A Very dark orange color with a off white 3 finger head.

smell- I get citrus and also a dill smell lol. I get a faint mocha smell also. Smell is overall pretty faint but still nice.

taste- initially i get the coffee at first then the on the middle i get the citrus piny hops then the aftertaste is all coffee with a touch of bitterness. I wish i could get this in 6 packs.

mouthfeel- is light to medium. perfect for the IPA style. the carbonation is spot on. perfect for the IPA style

Overall i thought this was a good beer. Definitely unique and pretty tasty. I do wish this beer was bigger in hop flavor and also bigger in coffee flavor since im a hop head and a huge coffee fan so yeah i really liked this beer.

steven9000, Apr 09, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - murky burnt orange hue, tall tan head had solid retention
S - strong perfumy odour, piney, grainy, slightly sour, and very subtle coffee
T - very perfumy and floral hops up front, some pine, sharp grainy malt, and like the nose the coffee is so subtle its almost not there until the late finish
M - medium body, spicy and slightly astringent dry finish
O - must admit I was very excited for this and a little disappointed by the lack of coffee presence, mad respect for making a coffee beer outside the stout/porter convention though, still a tasty and very drinkable IPA

joemcgrath27, Apr 06, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Was extremely excited to find this one locally as it sparked my interest as soon as I heard about it. Bottle cap has the date 08/12/12.

a - Opened the bottle and poured into an oversized snifter. Light orange in color with a big frothy bubbly white IPA head. The head sat on the beer as almost a powder puff that moved as a solid unit when swirling the glass. Lacing was pretty present.

s - Hop forward and sweet. Has an almost belgian tingle to the smell which might be the coffee. In any event if that is the coffee, it isn't coffee in the traditional sense as described when drinking many stouts with coffee. There isn't that big bold roasted or nutty thing, but there is a wonderful sweet hoppy smell to this brew.

t - The hop sweetness is again there, but quite bitter. It sort of dances the line between just right bitter and too bitter for my palette. Again, the coffee is not noticeable.

m - A bit watery and bitter. Good carbonation and a nice tingle.

o - If it didn't say coffee on the label, I'd never know this was brewed with coffee. On the whole, the beer is a pretty tasty IPA, but the experimental addition of coffee...is either such a perfect blend that you don't notice it or it is drowned out by everything else. I wish I had some guji natural coffee to see if I can pick it out since I don't notice any. Not worth the crazy price I paid for it since seems like a good IPA and nothing more. Hits the spot for me tonight though...won't get it again unless priced more competitively like other good IPAs.

cosmicevan, Apr 06, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle - A hazy copper pour into an oversized snifter with a solid 2" beige head that hung out for a few minutes.

Aroma is sharp citrus with a floral hop character. Not particularly strong There is a hint of sweet malt or honey in the background as well.

Flavor is a bitter grapefruit, honey and pine with a nice grassiness to finish. There is slight caramel and an almost lactose like softness. Milk duds come to mind. Starts somewhat malty but finishes fairly dry with only a little lingering sweetness.

This is a somewhat decent IPA overall but I'm left a bit underwhelmed. I didn't detect anything that I could distinctly identify as coffee, although it did have a strange softness to it amidst the bitterness. Don't get me wrong, drinking this one certainly didn't suck. The hop flavor was nice but nothing stood out as remarkable. For a $12 beer billed as a Coffee IPA, I feel this one misses the mark.

lowendfrequency, Apr 05, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass april2 2011

A hazy orange amber with a solid light tan head that retains to the very bottom of the glass and leaves some random lace

S earthy hops, tea bag and cold sweet coffee, not bad but weird for an IPA

T what I imagine wet spring thaw leaves to taste like with more cold coffee and some booze I couldn't smell

M medium bodied with decent carbonation, flavors linger and so dose a little grit on the gums

O not a combination I look for in an IPA, the coffee mingles poorly with the earthy hops

perhaps with a much darker malt this could work but then of coarse it wouldn't be the worlds first coffee IPA. I like Mikkeller about as much as a man can like a brewer but some of the gimmicks don't work for me but hey at least its not the same old same old

wordemupg, Apr 03, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

A - Nice amber. Huge, lightly-off-white head. Great retention and lace.

S - Sweet cola. Warm booze. Milk chocolate. Light herbal hop character.

T - Sweet bread, grapefruit, orange, soft caramel. Milky latte. Rolling tarragon bitterness.

M - Med body with a fantastic, well-rounded finish. Lightly sweet with a soft coffee flavor that lingers for a lifetime. Perfectly carbonated.

O - A fantastic beer. The coffee is supper mellow and doesn't jump out and steal the show - instead it slowly builds throughout the profile, showcasing the flavors around it in new lights.

vfgccp, Apr 01, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange amber with a huge creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is a sweet and sour almost bretty twang with some floral earthy hops.

The flavor is sweet malt and some tropical fruit with some floral hop bitterness and a bit of a slight sour/bretty note. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. It doesn't have the hop notes I normally enjoy (piney, grapefruit). I really get no coffee at all from it - I get more Brett notes which are interesting. If you let it warm and really try, there might be a slight coffee note.

Beaver13, Mar 31, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

From a 330 ml brown bottle. Pours out a deep hazy coppery amber when held to light, more like a russet chestnut hue otherwise. Tall spongy off-white head with excellent retention.

Coffee, chocolate and hazelnut are first to arise in the aroma, then some dry bready malt and herbal, leafy, spicy hops.

Coffee and dry malt up front in the flavour that is almost immediately eclipsed with herbal, spicy hops. The coffee along with a bit of chocolate returns in the aftertaste to linger on.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel with low carbonation and a creamy smooth texture that hints at touches of oiliness.

No real harmony or unity with this, nor is the juxtaposition unique enough to be truly noteworthy beyond saying you've tried it once. The quality is there, this isn't swill, but the combination just doesn't jive, at least for me.

IronDjinn, Mar 31, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

- Cap dated BB 8/12/12. Consumed 3/23/11.

A: The first pour yielded one of good clarity, sunset orange with a strong raging effervesce inside. A foamy tan head sits monstrously ontop, almost to the point of filling half a glass worth with a lasting effect leaving a snake band lacing of good coverage. A second pour sent a ice-berg of foam breaching forth and upward, sturdy and dense in nature while the clarity became a bit cloudy.

S: Fresh citrus and grapefruit, nice level of strength at first out of the bottle, slowly diminishes there-after. No signs of the coffee just yet.

T: Hoppy fresh grapefruit with a touch of peppery citrus and pine are forth-right and of good strength. Fresh grassiness comes in on the close perhaps with a slight indication of ice coffee mingling with a flowery citrus. Had my doubts about a coffee ipa, though it would come off more as a hoppy stout, but his is an ipa first, hoppy with just the right amount of ice cold coffee hints mixing with a caramel grain sweetness makes this a delight.

M: Medium bodied, flowery citrus with a peppery spice touch. Active carbonation, dry finish with floral hops rounding things out on the tongue.

D: Nice drinkability, kept me interested and looking forward to each sip to the very last. Great drinking ipa, solid recommend, expected nothing less from this brewer.

beerthulhu, Mar 29, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Ok let's break this down..

Appearance: Doesn't look like coffee at all. Hazy orangy with high carbonation.

Smell: Doesn't smell like coffee. Not much here. Light hops, slight lemon and grapefruit, mild earth tones

Taste: Doesn't taste like coffee. Not much to it at all. Very dry and drinkable but nothing special about it.

Moral of the story: Nothing about this reminded me of coffee. Yes a coffee IPA sounds awesome and unique, but don't buy into this one...especially for $13.00 like I did. Live and learn I guess.

TheDTrain, Mar 26, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Served at Durty Nellies.

A: appears orange and clear with a sticky white head, lots of lacing and good retention

S: fruity and spicy hops along with pine notes and earthy noptes, some grapefruit among other citric qualities. Coffee is lost in the aroma. This smells nice for an IPA, but considering that it is billed as a Coffee IPA, I was expecting some coffee aromatics.

T: palate starts smooth and balanced and then turns sweet and syrupy. Big bitterness come in at the end which is the first time that I detect a faint hint of coffee. The finish is slightly roasty with big bitterness. It seems that the coffee primarily adds bitter components but largely gets lost by the assertive hop profile.

MF: thick body, almost syrupy

O: Interesting brew, but I can't help but feel like the addition of coffee is more of a gimmick than anything.

homebrew311, Mar 26, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber appearance. Hazy, though wondering if the degree is due to the fact that this was a hopped beer brewed a few months ago, and it was imported. Frothy head. Effervescent. Smell and taste: pine, and sweet citrus. Very faint caramel? Bitter, dry finish. It's a great IPA, and I would definitely drink it again. A little disappointed I didn't pick out any roasted or coffee notes. Perhaps I'm not in the right mood or my palate wasn't clean enough. But I've been waiting for this beer to hit the shelves since January expecting to taste something totally unique and mind blowing. Great beer, but I think my fantasies of what this beer was going to taste like hindered my actual experience of it.

maltstress, Mar 25, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a finger of white foam to go with it.

S: Coffee IPA, eh? Interesting as I don't really smell any coffee. Maybe a touch of a roast but otherwise it's grassy hops, some mild citrus, and quite a bit of caramel malt (and perhaps a touch of brown sugar).

T: No coffee flavor either, but I think I'm grateful for that. Sweet fruit, especially citrus. Plenty of brown sugar and caramel sweetness. A decent amount of bitterness and a little bit of grassy hop flavor.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: No coffee character at all, and just a mediocre IPA is what you get from it.

womencantsail, Mar 24, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Ratman for sharing some of this one with us the other day. Sorry Don, its much easier this way. 750 ml bottle poured a hazy amber with a lasting ivory head. Aromas of biscuit, earthiness, light grapefruit, light pine and a hint of coffee. Palate was light bodied and crisp with a smooth dry finish. Flavors of biscuit, earthiness, light coffee, light pine and a hint of citrus with a crisp dry lightly bitter finish. :)

emmasdad, Mar 24, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

On tap at Max's.

Hazy orange with a dense, off-white head with nice retention and lacing. The nose is dominated by caramel, hop character that makes me think of Centennial hops. There's a subtle coffee character as well, a sweeter, lighter roast. Not nearly as aggressive as I was expecting, given this beers pedigree. Too sweet, but the hop character is nice.
The palate opens with candied oranges and plenty of bitterness. Coffee is obscured, peeking through in the mid-palate and also in the finish. Bitterness is high, as is the carbonation. Too big in body for an IPA, this is not a very enjoyable beer.

DefenCorps, Mar 24, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Here's a mind-blowing concept: Infuse an IPA with hints of coffee. It seems odd but it could just work!

Pours a dark amber color with a thick, fluffy white head into my glass. I can dig it.

Plenty of citrusy hops upfront with a hint of coffee bitterness as well.

Wow.The use of coffee gives this a slick mouthfeel that helps infuse the citrusy hops with the psyche. A slight bit of nuttiness too!

As you can see above, the mouthfeel is very slick and coffee-like. It almost steals away the focus on the hops.

I have to admit, I'm impressed with this beer. It's very creative and very drinkable as well!

Brad007, Mar 23, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

I do not like coffee I love the smell but the taste is lost on me,but this should not be feared by non coffee lovers. It has a typical IPA feel and general taste with a faint hint of a lightly toasted coffee bean. The coffee in no way interferes with the IPA taste.

buns, Mar 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

I had this beer on tap at Monks in Philly. I was intrigued by the notion of a coffee IPA because I wanted to be venturous and have a complex style of beer. I was feeling a little bold.
On-tap into a tulip glass.

A - Hazy, cloudy burnt orange color with amber/ruby hints. Creamy lacy head that was ressiliant.
S - There was citrus in the head and no coffee which supprised me. I was looking hard for a few notes and didn't find any. Still the citrus was light and nice.
T & M & D - Citrus clean font on this beer with malty sweetness and a few roast tones. Once again I had to go searching for the coffee and I found a few notes of it on the back end in the back of the palate. Other than that the beer was clean and medium bodied with a mild level of carbination.
The beer was nice, but nothing that popped and made you say wow. A good/decent beer.

-Cheers

CuttDeez, Mar 16, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

750mL brown glass pry-top bottle. Cap dated 08/12/12.

Pours a hazy brownish amber with thick white head that stands up creamy and tall.

Nose is sort of oily smelling. Floral is the dominant word. Leafy and herbal hops. Not much citrus.

Palate is aggressively bitter up front with huge amounts of dense, earthy and leafy hops. Not really finding any coffee here... Maybe I could dig and find coffee oil in there, but it's a stretch. Blindfolded, I would never be able to tell.

Good IPA - disappointed by the coffee promise.

SFLpunk, Mar 15, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a hazy honey-golden with a thick, off-white head. Strong aroma is predominantly hoppy - but not a hint of coffee. Strongly hoppy, evergreen flavor is quite pleasing and satisfies my liking for hoppy beers - but where's the coffee? Never mind, it's a good IPA nonetheless. Texture is fiercely tingly and fizzy.

Cyberkedi, Mar 13, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer is clouded dark amber, has an off-white to tan head with some lacing.

The smell is like old coffee from the brewer, an additional dried pea nuance.

Upfront bread and fudge, then some citric aspects, but the peas and old cold coffee is dominant to me.

Medium carbonation, soft texture and a good body.

I like coffee, warm! I like beer (most of it)! But this combo does not attract me. Coffee stouts are fine. Tasted at a beer sampling at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

rarbring, Mar 12, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 cc for $15, okey dokey...

Koppi IPA drank very smooth for an IPA. The taste was very smooth with adequate bitterness and nice presentations. Like other said, the coffee flavor is unnoticeable if you're not looking for it. I suspect the mild malty taste contributing to the smoothness was due to the infusion of coffee.

Again, this is a very good IPA, but not when the "coffee" aspect was emphasized. I finished the bomber with swift. If this is an US IPA came into six-packs I'll drink it a lot because it's so smooth and flavorful. But I am highly unlikely to purchase this again due to how pricey it is.

vince4953529, Mar 11, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a magnificent head; great stickage and a nice patter of lace

Smell: I have tried this a few times without noticing much coffee in the aroma, but on the third try, the nose expands with roast coffee elements, overwhelming the hoppy aspect that I had noted previously

Taste: Very clean opening, with the malt providing a palette for the hops; by mid-palate, the tangerine and pine flavors are quite pronounced; once the beer warms a bit, the coffee starts to be detectable in the middle and, in the finish, there is a pronounced java character

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I have had this both on tap as well as in the bottle and found the coffee more detectable in the bottle, particularly as it warms

brentk56, Mar 08, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 750 into a perfect pint. Been looking for this one for awhile...

A- pours a crystal clear shade of orange with a three finger, very puffy offwhite head. Well, it LOOKS fantastic to start...it can only go downhill from here

S- smells very citric...no coffee coming through on the nose. Smells like...the tomahawk hops advertised on the bottle. Not bad, though

T- getting the citrus from the tomahawk, and a little of the coffee...it's VERY subtle. Mainly comes in the aftertaste, and it's very mild

M- a little thick...not syrupy, but toeing the line

D- I'd rate this higher if it weren't marketed as a COFFEE IPA. The coffee is so subtle that you can barely taste it. This would be fine for a standard IPA, but for something Mikkeller hyped up as a coffee IPA, I'm let down

bigfnjoe, Mar 07, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

Tomahawk X Guji Natural - 750mL bottle.

Appearance -- Pours a hazed orange, ruby in the heart, with a finger of creamy beige head. Great head retention.

Smell -- Citrus, grass, bready malt, slight musty dankness. Not a whole lot going on.

Taste -- Lemon and tangerine, prairie grasses, bready malt and caramel sweetness. Hop bittering is moderate, though this may be a matter of freshness. While certainly hop-forward as pales go, it is a very mild sipper. No roast coffee flavor whatsoever, unless that grassiness is coming from the beans.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with milder carbonation. Alcohol heat was much higher than expected given the abv.

Drinkability -- Drinkable, but not exciting. My only real quip was the alcohol heat. As far as the coffee was concerned, it was nearly nonexistent. Assuming that the coffee was added green or nearly green (see notes below), it added grassiness and some mild earthy dankness. If this is the case, couldn't Mikkeller have conjured up that character in the hopping? Interesting idea, no follow through.

Additional Notes -- I shared this bottle with no less than FOUR professional coffee roasters. They could detect the Guji within the beer, if only slightly, and all were convinced that the beans had to have been added green (unroasted) or nearly green.

yeahnatenelson, Mar 06, 2011