Sur Munk - Mikkeller ApS

Sur MunkSur Munk

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

American Wild Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2011

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.71/5  rDev -25.8%

This one pours a strange, auburn off red in color with an off white bubble ridden lacing. It smells like fruity miracle whip. I instantly think of backfat. It would be right up his alley. It also has an add steamed veggies aspect with a moderate amount of vinegar. It's pretty sweet and full or vinegar, almost like an odd raspberry vinagrette. Oh the miracle whip, the humanity! It gets sweeter as you go along. Overall this just isn't my thing. I know people who would like this but if I wanted to drink dried berry mayonnaise I would. I don't.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Almost no foam on this, but what little that does show up sticks around. Body is cloudy, mostly brown with only the slightest hint of red. Some lacing

S - I don't know about this one. It's a weird smell that is artificial or medicinal or something. When you get past that, it is a nice raspberry sour.

T - A little funk on the front. Slight sourness with raspberry and maybe green apple. Still a little artificial-ness to it.

M - Light bodied and low carbonation. Not great. Drying on the finish.

O - I'm not a big fan of this. Doesn't taste natural to me and that turns me off. Really not a lot going for the beer.

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured a bit cold with a fizzy, light tan head that soon settles to a ring andno lace. Color is a hazy red orange with amber highlights. Aroma is fruit, grape, vinegar. Flavor's like nose but much more intense, to the point that some of the flavors are chemically. Pronounced sweettartness with some bitter. Body is ok although the chemical thing isn't too good, carbonation is just right. Finish is like flavor, long, and this is the only bottle for me.

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy dark amber color with some red showing up as well. There is a layer of fluffy off white head that leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Smells like very sweet vinegar. Fruity notes and some caramel like malt.

Taste: This is the sweetest sour beer I have ever tried. I know it is a blend of a Quad and a sour, but I feel like the flavors remain parallel to each other and don't really mix well. I'm picking up some dark fruit and cherry along with the caramel and a vinegar sourness and acidity. Too much going on here.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with delicate carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This one is too sweet for me. The tastes just don't mix well with each other. I'd pass on trying this beer again.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle shared by Jason. A blend of quad and sour ale. Serve in a Jester King tulip.

A - Finger of white foam settles to a thin collar, partial cap, and a few splotches of lace. Hazy orange-brown body.

S - Sweet tarts and other candy, savory notes, balsamic vinegar, oak. Very Flanders Red-esque with the combination of sweet caramel and candy malts and the moderate sourness - a bit BBQ sauce-esque.

T- Taste is less sour with more honey glaze and BBQ sauce flavors. Actually, it's surprisingly bland and understated in comparison to the aroma.

M - Zesty carbonation, extremely dry candy-like texture, medium-light body, and shockingly little alcohol. I would have guessed this was closer to 6%.

D - Very strange beer based on the aroma, but the flavor is ultimately quite dull. Not terrible, but not something I'd feel the need to revisit either.

3.32/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Hazed copper with some dark brown and deep gold at the edges. Head is a dirty white and drops to almost no cap in very short order. Pours with minimal carbonation. Leaves a loose bubbly collar. No lacing.

Smell: Funky with a slight acetic edge. Tart cherry flesh. Fruity and juicy. Powdery yeast and funk. A bit earthy. A solid caramel malt base. Some esters, pushing apple and banana. Vague clove spiciness. Leather. Some cough syrup. A distinct blend of Belgian, funk, and cherry.

Taste: A cherry fruit rollup wrapped in leather with a dusting of earth, powdery Belgian yeast, and flower petals. Funky more than tart, but carries an acetic edge. Earthy and damp. Cherry skin and tart flesh. Almost chocolate-like on the finish. Some clove and banana under it all. Loaded with esters. Candi sugar and deeply caramelized malts. A bit sweet overall. Warming produces a slightly more assertive tart cherry flavor on the edges and finish. Warms to a slightly better beer. Some oak throughout.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation on a medium body. Slick and smooth. Lingering dry finish. A bit wet on the start of the sip.

Overall: Sure, I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

A solid blend of Belgian and wild. Nice complexity, but it loses a little something with the spiked quad thing. A better beer than Three Philosophers (the only other Belgian blended with cherry that I can think of) and that's enough for me. A bit pricey for the experience. Ok, a lot pricey for the experience, but still worth trying at least once.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

500ml bottle.

Pours dark, murky reddish brown with a big creamy head that stays rocky on the bottom with lots of bubbles streaming up from the bottom. Lacing is excellent as well.

Aroma is heavy on the vinegar with some sweet, sugar-dipped dark fruits. Lots of malty sweetness in the background as well. As some have mentioned, this smells like a Flanders Red.

Taste isn't quite as complete as the nose and starts out with a sweetness that I can't quite place - honey, brown sugar, and something else. The tartness is there but a little tame with some vinegar in the finish as well as a healthy dose of oak.

The mouthfeel is creamy but fairly dry on the palate, strong carbonation.

This is an interesting sour but the taste just doesn't come together for me. Not one I would revisit.

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle into a snifter. Love the label! What can I say? I love trying new sours.

A - cloudy reddish light brown. Not much head, and it goes down quickly, but leaves some nice lace.

S - cherry, vinegar...not too sour, though. A little funky and malty. There's something I can't quite put my finger on...sounds horrible, but nail polish remover? As someone who's used a lot of nail polish remover in her day, it's not exactly the same aroma, but it reminds me of it. But not really in a way that makes me not want to drink it, haha.

T - Fortunately, not like polish remover. It's pretty unusual - some of the reviews compare it to a Flanders Red, but I don't really feel that's accurate. It just doesn't quite taste fruity enough or tart enough or...Flanders Red enough. And for a Wild, it doesn't quite taste funky enough. (So how would I categorize it? Beats me.) It's really not that sour. It does taste more like the description on the bottle, quad spiked with sour. The malts really come out more in the taste than in the aroma, but then again, not really as heavy as a quad. Maybe a dubbel, an oaky one. Then the sourness, and it's pretty acidic. Kind of a weird aftertaste.

M - light-to-medium, carbonation is just fine (not overly carbonated, but appropriately for the style). I sure can taste the booze, though. Not in an unpleasant way, but just in a this-beer-has-a-10%-ABV way.

D/O - I realize my review is not really great, but somehow, I want to continue drinking this beer. I'm not sure that quad/sour was the best combination. As you can see from the reviews of the aromas/tastes, it's a little all over the place. If you like these types of beers, it's worth trying. I'll finish the bottle, but I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

This one is a bit old now, and has largely gone to vinegar, although I suspect it was already that kind of Flanders red type sour when it started. Has a base like a dubbel or a quad, maroon to brown in color, not a ton of head, just off white patches on the surface, lots of sediment here too. Smells harshly sour, vinegar dominant, with some oak and residual grain sweetness there too, and the taste matches that. It's absolutely harsh on the avidity, but has a fruity, red wine vinegar flavor, with some brown sugar sweetness in the grain base. Not so much complex as it is intense, time I don't think has done this one many favors unfortunately. The neatly 10% abv is exposed in the thinner body! and drinking even half a bomber of this one was a bit of a task. That said, it's unlike anything else out there, and it respect it for that. Not worth what I paid for it, but I live mikkeller and always buy the ones I have not had. Cool artwork too, but this is past it's prime. Fun little raspberry note on the back end keeps it interesting, but I would not buy this again.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Orange to red brown. Finger head which sticks around. Good lacing.

S: I can smell the cherries as soon as I pour into a shaker pint. WOW. Apples, paint thinner, and unfresh banana round out a scent profile that can be only explained as a "hauntingly inviting scent."

T: Ummm.... TART! Cherries and apples hit early in the sour. Can come across as entirely too sweet (which I didnt think possible for the style). Takes at least 3-5 sips to get used to and really look into the flavors. There is a consistent alcohol burn that is unwanted for how good the fruit tastes.

M: Sticky and sweet. Medium feel.

O: Looking for something off the wall? This is it. I bopped over to Louisiana's closest gas station where everyone buys liquor (although it is slightly more expensive) and for some reason they have a sizable craft beer selection. This was sitting with three friends that had a considerable age to the bottle. I wish I had picked them all up. Tried on a whim. Not bad at all. Not sessionable... but that is obvious.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy brownish amber with very little head some some large bubbles on the surface of the beer. There was no lacing present in the glass.

S: Aromas of a cheese like funkiness that is not unpleasant but with a lot of complexity. I would best equate the smell of this beer to cream cheese.

T: Flavors in the beer are slightly metallic with a funky sourness followed by some sweetness. The taste of alcohol is very well masked and there are hints of oak, vanilla, and sour cherries.

M: Light to medium bodied with not a lot of carbonation and a slight creaminess that makes your tongue want to curl slightly.

O: The smell and taste of the beer were unexpected but not unpleasant and something that I would like to enjoy again - though maybe not by having multiple of these in a single evening. I imagine this would pair very well with smoked salmon. Also, this beer has an awesome label.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. I dig the artwork on the label. No best before date. I'm excited, as I enjoy sours and Mikkeller is me favourite brewery in existence.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of light cream, decent thickness, and good retention for the ABV. Colour is a murky caramel-brown. It isn't particularly good looking for a sour.

Sm: Heavy yeast and caramelized malt, with maybe some wild yeast - though it doesn't seem to be bretts. I get some nuts, which is strange and unexpected. A moderately strong aroma, and not a great one by any standards.

T: It's like a great sour ale met a strangely caramelized light brown ale. The resultant flavour is perhaps more pleasant and enjoyable than it deserves to be. The first half is a light bright sour ale that turns unfavourably into a weird caramelized malt generic beer towards the climax and finish. I get a sort of weird bubblegum note right on the climax, but it's buried. Overall, it's an interestingly constructed beer that intrigues me. I suppose it's well balanced for what it is, but the caramelized malt is more intrusive than it is welcome. All things considered, it's a delightful little beer with a finish that just isn't my personal preference. I could see this being right up someone's alley, however. It's certainly unique and bold. Experimental is the right descriptor.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the curious flavours shockingly well.

Dr: I don't know what it is about this beer, but it's so unique everyone should try it. It's certainly inspired and bold; Mikkel is going for a flavour profile I'd never have imagined. ABV is well obscured. I like it quite a bit, but it just feels like too much of a strangely handled blend of a great sour ale with a generic I-don't-know-what to rate it particularly highly. If the flavours from the first half persisted for the entirety of the beer, it'd likely be an A-. As is, it feels more like a B. I just don't fancy the finish as compared to the open.

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

A: oddly colored this pours a mars brown with an orange ochre tinge where the glass thins. Light pale tan head forms, fairly thin and quickly fleeting, atop the beer. decent lacing though.

S: Tart vanilla yogurt is the first thing that comes to mind. black sugared raisins and fig come through as well.

T: FUNKeeee. This is truly a weird one... bitter, sweet; and acetic flavors of hay, mild aged vinegar; orange pith, and Fig newton interact with one another in a ass backwards way. Its not all bad but desperately needs both more acid and more carbonation.

M: pretty flat' overall

O: not one to sought after, but It might be worth trying again in a year to see if anything has changed for the better.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a clear, burgundy color with a small, tan head of foam. I left sticky rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled sour and funky with some acidic notes.

T - A friend described it as honey and vinegar and he's right. That sounds awful but it didn't taste awful. It was pretty good.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a slight pucker factor.

O - Mikkeller beers are always interesting and unique. This one certainly is that.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap for Churchill's Renaissance at Churchill's Pub & Grille in San Marcos, CA.

Pours a murky dark honey brown with a tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Thin rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of vinegar, sour fruit, and other tart and funky aromas. Taste is of vinegar, sweet and sour fruit, and other tart and funky flavors. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good sour but it smells better than it tastes in my opinon.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle served in a tulip. Bottle conditioned. Poured a dark copper with a finger of off white head. Deeply tart aroma with cherries and some vinegar. Lighter side of medium bodied, not a lot of carbonation. Taste is similar to the aroma, very tart and acetic. I don't really get much Quad character, it is more like Duchesse de Bourgogne, but more over the top. I didn't know the abv, but I wouldn't have pegged it at 10%, the alcohol did show. Interesting beer, but I doubt that I would buy it again, especially at the price.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Within this Timmerman’s flute resides a hazy, dark-to-light copper beer with an off-white, fine, creamy head. The head is thin and quick to depart, but leaves a nice coating of lace in its wake.

The aroma portends a very tart cherry to follow. A light aroma of Band-aids with balsamic vinegar and a floral hint comes out with warmth.

The flavors fall short of the aromatic expectations. Very tart, with sharp sour cherry and oak. It’s a good pucker, but it should be accompanied by fruity flavors. The finish is long, tart and repeating in the throat.

As one would expect, this one is effervescent with a light body and a bite of alcohol. The texture is sharp and overall this one is dry.

Sur Monk can be enjoyed as a sipping beer while reading on a hot afternoon. While the flavors fall short, tartness and the aromas keep this one together. It does improve considerably with warmth.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle.

It pours a nice color. It is a reddish caramel brown with a slight murkiness and a nice creamy off-white head.

The smell is surprising. It has elements of lunch meat and strawberry yogurt. There is also a big hit of processed caramel. It is pretty funky, not too sour on the nose.

The flavor is a bit more sour. It is also sweet. It really has a tangy yogurty taste to it with berries. The caramel "quad" base comes through as well.

This one grows on you as you drink it. I was initially skeptical but it is pretty good.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Brown amber red, tan head w/ good lacing, cool label

Smells, tart, cherries, sweet, brown sugar, smells like a flanders red or oud bruin

Taste was a bit shocking at first, a lot like the duchess, vinegar, sweetness, tartness, cherries, all rolled into one.

This was very interesting, if you like flemish sours you will probably like this, if you like the Duchess I think you will love this. The Duchess is hard to drink for me and this is kind of the same. The alcohol really isnt very present. I would have guessed this is a 6 or 7 percenter. Its a sipper.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle, the beer was poured into a tulip glass giving a light brown color with a modest white head. A sour aroma was immediately noted which is typical of the style. The initial taste gave mixed signals, though the signals mixed well together. Both sweet and sour lemon notes were present. A biscuit and mild grassy flavor were also noted. In the aftertaste, the sweet and sour flavor melted into a nice warming yet spicy alcohol sensation. The level of carbonation seemed appropriate for a sour as it was not overwhelming. This is a very drinkable sour, though it is certainly not Mikkeller's best work.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Ruby mahogany with a modest though persistent off-white head. Falls to a raised collar and a slow, steady bead.

Plenty of sour cherry and balsamic, veering slightly into boozy nail-polish remover territory. There's some good nutty undertones and a slight mustiness which work well, and prevent it from becoming one-dimensional.

Flavours are straightforward but tasty. Juicy sweet and sour cherries, marzipan and a mild woodiness. Thankfully the nailpolish remover is completely absent.

Excellent mouthfeel. Lovely tangy acidity and just adeqaute carbonation balance the heft and syrupiness in the body. No hint of booze.

Not a bad wild ale at all. Expected more in the complexity department for 10%, but the simple, approachable flavour profile makes it rather moreish.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Cloudy brown-orange with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades fairly quickly.

S - Sour cherries, sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, brown sugar, candi sugar, vanilla, dark fruits, funkiness, spices, and some booze.

T - Sour cherries, sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, candi and brown sugar, vanilla, funkiness, some spices, Brett, acidity, and some booze.

M - Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, sour, and warming finish.

D - A bit off balanced and rough. The flavors do not quite come together.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

1/3 pint served in a Teku glass in the BrewDog bar in Edinburgh. From notes. Reviewed 7 June 2011.

A: Opaque at some angles, translucent at others. The beer is an orange-tinted brown. Blackcurrantish? Yellowish as well; ochre? No head.

S: Sour. Fruity. It smells like a relish. A bit of vinegar or fermented grapes. Acerbic and harsh, yes, but perversely pleasant.

T: Initially I thought it was terrible; I could barely swallow. But, bracing myself, I rallied for a second sip. It was surprisingly palatable. Over time, it really grows on me. The taste is somewhat indescribable. It's like...eating chutney. Grapey, alcoholic, chutney. It's incredibly tart. Sourly super-acidic. Why do I like this beer? I don't know, but I really do.

M: Thin, sharp, biting, and bitter. Barely carbonated.

O: It's an odd sort of beer, I imagine it would be quite divisive, such that I can't recommend it. Paired with cheese and red onion chutney.

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Reddish brown with a thin film of a head; decent lacing

S: Tart apples, cherries, oranges, funky feet and musty grains and grass; this is malty and funky and tart and I'm excited to try it

T: Not nearly as sour as aromas indicated--still funky but a bit more of a medicinal finish; the fruitiness does help: cherries, apples--but it doesn't quite together as I'd hoped

F: Medium mouth feel; a bit sticky and nice overall

O: A weird, funky beer: fruity, malty, boozy, musty, funky

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

500 aroma ml. of malt vinegar, but fun at that. bottle from bruery provisions. the. aroma, malt vinegar. some sugars. medium brown colour. very tasty stuff, despite cloying sugar. medium mouthfeel. pretty drinkable, but glad i shared . SOmething different, change up between other sours.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast