Sur Munk - Mikkeller ApS

good

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Wild Ale |  9.99% ABV

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2011)
1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

cpinto6, Apr 19, 2012

pohldogg356, Jul 14, 2012

Diomede, Feb 15, 2012

drgarage, Aug 09, 2012

Stumpy29er, Jan 21, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

This one pours a strange, auburn off red in color with an off white bubble ridden lacing. It smells like fruity miracle whip. I instantly think of backfat. It would be right up his alley. It also has an add steamed veggies aspect with a moderate amount of vinegar. It's pretty sweet and full or vinegar, almost like an odd raspberry vinagrette. Oh the miracle whip, the humanity! It gets sweeter as you go along. Overall this just isn't my thing. I know people who would like this but if I wanted to drink dried berry mayonnaise I would. I don't.

aasher, Jan 11, 2012

FrankyLikesIt, Dec 31, 2011

polishkaz, Jan 03, 2012

Adrianized, Feb 02, 2012

sneaks2210, Nov 17, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy dark amber color with some red showing up as well. There is a layer of fluffy off white head that leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Smells like very sweet vinegar. Fruity notes and some caramel like malt.

Taste: This is the sweetest sour beer I have ever tried. I know it is a blend of a Quad and a sour, but I feel like the flavors remain parallel to each other and don't really mix well. I'm picking up some dark fruit and cherry along with the caramel and a vinegar sourness and acidity. Too much going on here.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with delicate carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This one is too sweet for me. The tastes just don't mix well with each other. I'd pass on trying this beer again.

oline73, Dec 30, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured a bit cold with a fizzy, light tan head that soon settles to a ring andno lace. Color is a hazy red orange with amber highlights. Aroma is fruit, grape, vinegar. Flavor's like nose but much more intense, to the point that some of the flavors are chemically. Pronounced sweettartness with some bitter. Body is ok although the chemical thing isn't too good, carbonation is just right. Finish is like flavor, long, and this is the only bottle for me.

drpimento, Jun 06, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Almost no foam on this, but what little that does show up sticks around. Body is cloudy, mostly brown with only the slightest hint of red. Some lacing

S - I don't know about this one. It's a weird smell that is artificial or medicinal or something. When you get past that, it is a nice raspberry sour.

T - A little funk on the front. Slight sourness with raspberry and maybe green apple. Still a little artificial-ness to it.

M - Light bodied and low carbonation. Not great. Drying on the finish.

O - I'm not a big fan of this. Doesn't taste natural to me and that turns me off. Really not a lot going for the beer.

RuckusDu, Apr 26, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Bottle shared by Jason. A blend of quad and sour ale. Serve in a Jester King tulip.

A - Finger of white foam settles to a thin collar, partial cap, and a few splotches of lace. Hazy orange-brown body.

S - Sweet tarts and other candy, savory notes, balsamic vinegar, oak. Very Flanders Red-esque with the combination of sweet caramel and candy malts and the moderate sourness - a bit BBQ sauce-esque.

T- Taste is less sour with more honey glaze and BBQ sauce flavors. Actually, it's surprisingly bland and understated in comparison to the aroma.

M - Zesty carbonation, extremely dry candy-like texture, medium-light body, and shockingly little alcohol. I would have guessed this was closer to 6%.

D - Very strange beer based on the aroma, but the flavor is ultimately quite dull. Not terrible, but not something I'd feel the need to revisit either.

MasterSki, Jan 02, 2012

sammo, Jul 07, 2012

jaydoc, Dec 14, 2013

Rado, Mar 29, 2014

MathNut, Sep 19, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

500ml bottle.

Pours dark, murky reddish brown with a big creamy head that stays rocky on the bottom with lots of bubbles streaming up from the bottom. Lacing is excellent as well.

Aroma is heavy on the vinegar with some sweet, sugar-dipped dark fruits. Lots of malty sweetness in the background as well. As some have mentioned, this smells like a Flanders Red.

Taste isn't quite as complete as the nose and starts out with a sweetness that I can't quite place - honey, brown sugar, and something else. The tartness is there but a little tame with some vinegar in the finish as well as a healthy dose of oak.

The mouthfeel is creamy but fairly dry on the palate, strong carbonation.

This is an interesting sour but the taste just doesn't come together for me. Not one I would revisit.

gford217, Jan 17, 2012
3.34/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Hazed copper with some dark brown and deep gold at the edges. Head is a dirty white and drops to almost no cap in very short order. Pours with minimal carbonation. Leaves a loose bubbly collar. No lacing.

Smell: Funky with a slight acetic edge. Tart cherry flesh. Fruity and juicy. Powdery yeast and funk. A bit earthy. A solid caramel malt base. Some esters, pushing apple and banana. Vague clove spiciness. Leather. Some cough syrup. A distinct blend of Belgian, funk, and cherry.

Taste: A cherry fruit rollup wrapped in leather with a dusting of earth, powdery Belgian yeast, and flower petals. Funky more than tart, but carries an acetic edge. Earthy and damp. Cherry skin and tart flesh. Almost chocolate-like on the finish. Some clove and banana under it all. Loaded with esters. Candi sugar and deeply caramelized malts. A bit sweet overall. Warming produces a slightly more assertive tart cherry flavor on the edges and finish. Warms to a slightly better beer. Some oak throughout.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation on a medium body. Slick and smooth. Lingering dry finish. A bit wet on the start of the sip.

Overall: Sure, I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

A solid blend of Belgian and wild. Nice complexity, but it loses a little something with the spiked quad thing. A better beer than Three Philosophers (the only other Belgian blended with cherry that I can think of) and that's enough for me. A bit pricey for the experience. Ok, a lot pricey for the experience, but still worth trying at least once.

Goblinmunkey7, May 28, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle into a snifter. Love the label! What can I say? I love trying new sours.

A - cloudy reddish light brown. Not much head, and it goes down quickly, but leaves some nice lace.

S - cherry, vinegar...not too sour, though. A little funky and malty. There's something I can't quite put my finger on...sounds horrible, but nail polish remover? As someone who's used a lot of nail polish remover in her day, it's not exactly the same aroma, but it reminds me of it. But not really in a way that makes me not want to drink it, haha.

T - Fortunately, not like polish remover. It's pretty unusual - some of the reviews compare it to a Flanders Red, but I don't really feel that's accurate. It just doesn't quite taste fruity enough or tart enough or...Flanders Red enough. And for a Wild, it doesn't quite taste funky enough. (So how would I categorize it? Beats me.) It's really not that sour. It does taste more like the description on the bottle, quad spiked with sour. The malts really come out more in the taste than in the aroma, but then again, not really as heavy as a quad. Maybe a dubbel, an oaky one. Then the sourness, and it's pretty acidic. Kind of a weird aftertaste.

M - light-to-medium, carbonation is just fine (not overly carbonated, but appropriately for the style). I sure can taste the booze, though. Not in an unpleasant way, but just in a this-beer-has-a-10%-ABV way.

D/O - I realize my review is not really great, but somehow, I want to continue drinking this beer. I'm not sure that quad/sour was the best combination. As you can see from the reviews of the aromas/tastes, it's a little all over the place. If you like these types of beers, it's worth trying. I'll finish the bottle, but I wouldn't seek it out again.

fragilehearted, Jan 23, 2012