Sur Munk - Mikkeller ApS

Sur MunkSur Munk

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

American Wild Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2011

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle served in a tulip. Bottle conditioned. Poured a dark copper with a finger of off white head. Deeply tart aroma with cherries and some vinegar. Lighter side of medium bodied, not a lot of carbonation. Taste is similar to the aroma, very tart and acetic. I don't really get much Quad character, it is more like Duchesse de Bourgogne, but more over the top. I didn't know the abv, but I wouldn't have pegged it at 10%, the alcohol did show. Interesting beer, but I doubt that I would buy it again, especially at the price.

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

A: oddly colored this pours a mars brown with an orange ochre tinge where the glass thins. Light pale tan head forms, fairly thin and quickly fleeting, atop the beer. decent lacing though.

S: Tart vanilla yogurt is the first thing that comes to mind. black sugared raisins and fig come through as well.

T: FUNKeeee. This is truly a weird one... bitter, sweet; and acetic flavors of hay, mild aged vinegar; orange pith, and Fig newton interact with one another in a ass backwards way. Its not all bad but desperately needs both more acid and more carbonation.

M: pretty flat' overall

O: not one to sought after, but It might be worth trying again in a year to see if anything has changed for the better.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into aecht snifter. Pours a hazy ruby-brown with 1 1/2 fingers of white foam head.

Smells of dark cherry with a tad bit of apricot and raisin. Smell is strong and distinct. There is also a touch of nut.

Cherry is nice, tart, sour, and slightly sweet, with a vanilla, slight booze finish.

How bout a quality almost 10abv sour!!! Very tart on the nose without transitioning into insane alcohol.

Good for you mikkeller, despite being pricey, you killed it on a strong sour that tackled a lot of flavor notes.

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%

This one pours a strange, auburn off red in color with an off white bubble ridden lacing. It smells like fruity miracle whip. I instantly think of backfat. It would be right up his alley. It also has an add steamed veggies aspect with a moderate amount of vinegar. It's pretty sweet and full or vinegar, almost like an odd raspberry vinagrette. Oh the miracle whip, the humanity! It gets sweeter as you go along. Overall this just isn't my thing. I know people who would like this but if I wanted to drink dried berry mayonnaise I would. I don't.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. I dig the artwork on the label. No best before date. I'm excited, as I enjoy sours and Mikkeller is me favourite brewery in existence.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of light cream, decent thickness, and good retention for the ABV. Colour is a murky caramel-brown. It isn't particularly good looking for a sour.

Sm: Heavy yeast and caramelized malt, with maybe some wild yeast - though it doesn't seem to be bretts. I get some nuts, which is strange and unexpected. A moderately strong aroma, and not a great one by any standards.

T: It's like a great sour ale met a strangely caramelized light brown ale. The resultant flavour is perhaps more pleasant and enjoyable than it deserves to be. The first half is a light bright sour ale that turns unfavourably into a weird caramelized malt generic beer towards the climax and finish. I get a sort of weird bubblegum note right on the climax, but it's buried. Overall, it's an interestingly constructed beer that intrigues me. I suppose it's well balanced for what it is, but the caramelized malt is more intrusive than it is welcome. All things considered, it's a delightful little beer with a finish that just isn't my personal preference. I could see this being right up someone's alley, however. It's certainly unique and bold. Experimental is the right descriptor.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the curious flavours shockingly well.

Dr: I don't know what it is about this beer, but it's so unique everyone should try it. It's certainly inspired and bold; Mikkel is going for a flavour profile I'd never have imagined. ABV is well obscured. I like it quite a bit, but it just feels like too much of a strangely handled blend of a great sour ale with a generic I-don't-know-what to rate it particularly highly. If the flavours from the first half persisted for the entirety of the beer, it'd likely be an A-. As is, it feels more like a B. I just don't fancy the finish as compared to the open.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle shared by Jason. A blend of quad and sour ale. Serve in a Jester King tulip.

A - Finger of white foam settles to a thin collar, partial cap, and a few splotches of lace. Hazy orange-brown body.

S - Sweet tarts and other candy, savory notes, balsamic vinegar, oak. Very Flanders Red-esque with the combination of sweet caramel and candy malts and the moderate sourness - a bit BBQ sauce-esque.

T- Taste is less sour with more honey glaze and BBQ sauce flavors. Actually, it's surprisingly bland and understated in comparison to the aroma.

M - Zesty carbonation, extremely dry candy-like texture, medium-light body, and shockingly little alcohol. I would have guessed this was closer to 6%.

D - Very strange beer based on the aroma, but the flavor is ultimately quite dull. Not terrible, but not something I'd feel the need to revisit either.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

I'll never say no to a new sour. Nice pour, typical of a flemish brown or red. Smell is monsterously confrontational. Similar to Victinar, but more like a potent combination of duck sauce and balsamic vinegar strained though a dirty sweat soak. Woof. It is strong and sweet smelling in an almost rotten way. Kind of like raw meat a day or two past expiration. Taste is sweet sour, somewhat similar to Duchesse, but with that weird, almost unpleasant, leftover chinese food aftertaste. Still, I have to rate the taste and smell highly, because, what the hell, there is nothing else like it.

Drinkability is awesome for a nearly 10% beer, and right on target for a flemish red or brown - Which, by the way, is much more on target a description for this beer than "american wild."

Recommended with reservations. Scary good stuff. Like, really scary.

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy dark amber color with some red showing up as well. There is a layer of fluffy off white head that leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Smells like very sweet vinegar. Fruity notes and some caramel like malt.

Taste: This is the sweetest sour beer I have ever tried. I know it is a blend of a Quad and a sour, but I feel like the flavors remain parallel to each other and don't really mix well. I'm picking up some dark fruit and cherry along with the caramel and a vinegar sourness and acidity. Too much going on here.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with delicate carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This one is too sweet for me. The tastes just don't mix well with each other. I'd pass on trying this beer again.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle.

It pours a nice color. It is a reddish caramel brown with a slight murkiness and a nice creamy off-white head.

The smell is surprising. It has elements of lunch meat and strawberry yogurt. There is also a big hit of processed caramel. It is pretty funky, not too sour on the nose.

The flavor is a bit more sour. It is also sweet. It really has a tangy yogurty taste to it with berries. The caramel "quad" base comes through as well.

This one grows on you as you drink it. I was initially skeptical but it is pretty good.

A-Murky dirty brown/orangish hue which leaves a one finger head and sporadic lacing.

S-Prunes,cranberry juice,sweaty socks and pungent alcoholic fruit.

T-Starts off sweet/sour with hints of cranberries,lemons,pommegranates,bready malts,sherbet and finished with a barnyard funky sourness.

M-Light to medium bodied.

O-Now this is more like it Mikkeller a nice sour that i could drink alot of and its high ABV is very well hidden.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Browny, coppery, red, with a creamy head, low carbonation. Rich sour cherries on the nose. Heavy on the funky deep malty/sour smell. Wow. Somewhat scary... Almost worried about how big and sour this baby is going to be.

Into the mouth – bang – devilishly sour & funky up front, but to my surprise smooths out on the palate -certainly not harsh or puckering. Bit of cherry sweetness comes through with a quick and sharp finish with the sweetness lingering. Rather light mouthfeel. Not detecting any alcohol in the flavour, despite the abv of 10%. I can appreciate how the cherries are used to balance out the high ABV, in the same way malt would in another beer. Very nice and not overbearing like I was expecting. However maybe missing that middle palate complexity that would make it great.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

1/3 pint served in a Teku glass in the BrewDog bar in Edinburgh. From notes. Reviewed 7 June 2011.

A: Opaque at some angles, translucent at others. The beer is an orange-tinted brown. Blackcurrantish? Yellowish as well; ochre? No head.

S: Sour. Fruity. It smells like a relish. A bit of vinegar or fermented grapes. Acerbic and harsh, yes, but perversely pleasant.

T: Initially I thought it was terrible; I could barely swallow. But, bracing myself, I rallied for a second sip. It was surprisingly palatable. Over time, it really grows on me. The taste is somewhat indescribable. It's like...eating chutney. Grapey, alcoholic, chutney. It's incredibly tart. Sourly super-acidic. Why do I like this beer? I don't know, but I really do.

M: Thin, sharp, biting, and bitter. Barely carbonated.

O: It's an odd sort of beer, I imagine it would be quite divisive, such that I can't recommend it. Paired with cheese and red onion chutney.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last