Sour Bitch - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Lambic - Fruit |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 07-18-2011

Spontanale with lychee fruit.

Brewed at De Proef Brouverij.
to view more.
Ratings: 138 | Reviews: 38
Reviews by Soonami:
3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Blake for bringing this one. The body on Sour Bitch lies somewhere in the middle of the playing field between amber and copper; something like rust. It's got good clarity and a fuzzy, white head that sinks to a mere ring before I have time to even appreciate it. I think it goes without saying that there was no sign of lacing to be found, which is pretty much par for the course of sours, it seems.

Some sharp, tart citric aromas stand out in the front lines, as do underripe pears and a hint of lemon zest. The pears seem to grow with time, eventually taking on some sweetness to match the tartness. My colleagues are picking up heavier notes of funk, but I am struggling to reach the same conclusion. Perhaps just a hint of musty funk lies in the periphery, but not as much as you might expect from a typical lambic.

As it turns out, Sour Bitch... well... isn't that sour. It's got an abrupt tartness that grazes the palate with the introductory sip, but it's not quite as elevating as the aroma made it seem like it would be. After a few sips, you've already been conditioned to the tartness and the beer starts flying on autopilot. Apple skins, juicy pears, and other fruity flavors. Apparently this beer was brewed with lychee. I've never tasted one before, so that's my explanation for the unexplainable fruit.

There's a bit more funk in the flavor than there was in the aroma, but we're still talking small scale when you consider the style of the brew. Hints of oak hit on the back end - I'm glad to see that, as the dry and rustic oak flavors tend to be some of my favorites in sour ales. A dying wisp of pear, fruit, oak, and mild must shine in the finale while leaving your palate dry and dusty. Carbonated well, medium bodied, slick and smooth.

I guess when I'm given a beer called Sour Bitch, I'm expecting ass puckering, face melting, palate shredding, enamel stripping levels of acidity, tartness, or lactic acid - none of which this Sour Bitch exhibits. It's tart, sure, and it may not be preposterous to call it "sour" even, but it's quite tame compared to what my body was expecting. Still a nice beer, and probably a good one for people trying to get into sours, as it wont bomb their mouth out with acid.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, whartontallboy!

(Aged for 6+ months)

Golden in color with a quickly forming near-white head that recedes quickly, eventually leaving small streaks of lace down the glass. Pretty and appropriate.

Definite fruit/citrus forward aroma, with some white wine, oak, and a very mild funk character. If given this blind, I'd have guessed that mango was the fruit used, not lychee.

The fruit again plays the dominant role, along with a moderate level of sourness, an earthy, barnyard funk, some wood, and white wine. Finishes very dry.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. Easy to drink.

Very nice treat from Mikkeller, and easily, one of my favorite offerings from them to date.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Orange with a bubbly head. Above average mouthfeel. Funky aroma which is fine for the style. A good drinker, smooth and a nice sour peach, apricot, lemon and lime, not expected from such sweet fruit,i.e. the lychee.Very good sour,and interesting, thanks Jason.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

pour is a golden yellow with about an inch of light airy head. some lacing and nice retention.

light oak and sour lychee. some grape and apple

fairly complex through out, nice lychee and and a fairly prominent oak flavor. i was picking up some concord grape which was quite enjoyable.

mild to moderate carbonation, light and easy. some dryness.

pretty decent overall but the $30 price tag suuucks.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to Chris for sharing this recently! Quick review from written notes.

Pours into a small tulip a bright saturated orange color with lasting white foam on the surface. Body has a slight haze to it, and the occasional rising bubble or two.

Minerally aroma, lightly funky, traces of indistinct tart fruit.

Pleasantly tart and puckering, with a nebulous fruity taste. Finishes dry with light honey traces in the aftertaste. Acidic with a slight stomach acid impression.

We had some lychee fruit puree side by side (thanks Thomas), which was much more sweet and earthy in taste. Hard to pull out any identifiable lychee in the beer, but it's also aged two years or so. A nice lightly fruity sour ale that's worth trying.

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy gold with a little orange hue and a couple fingers of foamy off-white head.

Smells sour with hints of some sweet fruits and a good dose of oak.

Lightly sweet almost red grape like fruit sweetness hits the tongue for a second before getting overtaken by the sourness. It's more of a musty bitter sour and isn't overly intense, but the focal point nonetheless. Finishes dry with a wonderful oak component. While very different beers otherwise, the oak component in isolation reminds me a lot of Batch 23 Damnation.

Fairly light bodied with high carbonation levels.

Wonderful surprise from Mikkeller who I'm usually hit or miss on. Very well balanced with some complexity. My only slight complaint is I wish the lychee were featured a bit more prominently, but otherwise close to perfect.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Big thanks to bstyle for this crazy brew!

Straw gold body capped with a healthy finger of white foam that recedes to a thin rim which retains right until the finish.

Musty dark fruits layered with a mild lemon lime astringency, pear and apricot... I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this. Color me interested...

I wish I was more familiar with lychee... because there's a dominant sweet/sour fruit flavor that I can't seem to pinpoint. It's a little like apricot, a little rhubarb... it's tasty. There's a nice tart, slightly medicinal and dry finish. I'll have no problem finish this big ol' bottle. It takes some time to get acquainted with, but once you do it's a delicious and unique experience.

Very grateful to have the opportunity to try this one.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

I had this at Jackie O's during the bottle share on the bottle release day. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden amber with a layer of fluffy white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite funky with a strong acidic nots. Very sour with some herbal and hay like notes.

Taste: Citrus tartness with some herbal notes and a high level of sourness. Mildly fruity with a sour finish. This is a really delicate sour beer.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side with sharp carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great light sour beer. Crisp, dry and delicate. I would gladly have it again given the chance.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Bottle from MasterSki, thanks Alex! 750ml into a tulip.

Hazy orange, a couple fingers of white head. Sticky lace, with good retention. Nose is real funky, some lemon, a touch of citrus, wheat and a kiss of oak. More funk and tart citrus on the palate; also, having had lychee only once before I can still pick this out quite easily here. Some other light fleshed fruits may be in the mix here too. Fruity and lightly sour, but not as sour as I had anticipated. Still, a nice sour overall, the lychee was nice to have tried in a beer.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago, for $27.99. Took it out of the fridge for about an hour before pouring into 2 snifter glasses.

A - When I opened the bottle, the first thing I noticed was a significant ring of brown yeast all over the bottle cap and the top of the neck. I wasn't sure what to make of that? Anyway, it Pours a slightly redish, golden brown color with about 1 finger of off-white head. I held it up to the light and stared at it for a long time. At first it looks very clear, but as the bubbles rise quickly, you can see a lot of yeast.

S - When I smelled the bottle / cap - I instantly got a huge whiff of bready yeast. As I smelled the beer from my snifter, I got more fresh bread smell and a very slight fruity smell.

T - Upon first impression I was a little disappointed because it wasn't as sour as I was hoping for. But this beer is a LOT more complex than I expected. Lychee fruit is not a very overpowering fruit, but I think this beer captures the flavor very well. You get a bit of sweetness and flavor, without the lychee dominating the beer. I also get a white wine type of dryness in here too and you can taste the oakiness of the barrel aging too. The flavors all became much more pronounced as the beer warmed too.

M - The mouth feel was just about right... not too thick or thin. I would have preferred a finer carbonation like some of the better Belgian lambics, but all in all it was good.

O - I am glad that I bought 3 of these, because the other 2 will benefit from some serious aging. There is enough yeast and funk in there to do some good stuff in the years to come - so I'm excited for that! All in all though, I would suggest giving this beer a try, but for the money, I would suggest throwing it in the cellar for a while.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this bottle. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours a clear light peach color with a good white head and some nice lacing. The nose has a bit of cheese and some lychee. Flavor is relatively similar. Light sourness. Light body with spritzy carbonation. Pretty good but not fantastic.

2.66/5  rDev -32%

This was shared by joey5cents at a tasting.

Looks like a gueuze... Golden body, white head... Spotty lace.
Smells... Like a spiced wheat beer... With green apple and white grape.
The flavor needs time to develop. It isn't ready yet, but it could get much better. It is dry. Very dry. Like a dry malty vibe. Not really sour at all-- only slightly tart.

Feels thin and a bit overcarbonated.

Overall-- eh. This is unimpressive. It isn't bad, but it isn't great. I certainly hope it will get better, but as is, it isn't worth the $30 pricetag.

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review - Bottle gratiously shared by ShadesOfGray by way of MasterSki after my last law school final of my first semester - Contracts. Poured into a Fantome tulip.

Look - Nice sticky, bursting frothy foam head capping a hazy, burnt cornmeal colored beer.

Smell - Faint, almost non-existent. Strawberry and mimosa, touch of sweet apple cider vinegar, over-ripe lemon. Maybe lychee in the background, but I wouldn't say that if I didn't know it was in there.

Taste - Like a nice, fruity gueuze. Strawberry, lime sherbert, hint of mushroomy funk, touch of lychee in the finish (again, I wouldn't say it if I hadn't been told, but thinking about it it does come through in the finish). Nice balance of lactic and malic sourness, and a pleasant dry, almost vegetal finish with perhaps a touch of minerality too.

Mouthfeel - Sharp, assertive bristle of bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Smoothes into a properly full and nicely astringent and tannic midpalate that ends dry, dry, dry. The sweetness in the finish offsets the dryness refreshingly.

Overall - Quite nice, I really enjoyed the dryness of the mouthfeel most of all. Really more of a solid gueuze with some lovely fruit aspects (light strawberry) than a lychee sour, but as the bottle goes along I found myself enjoying this more and more

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle sent to me from my awesome trading partner RC0032! I was excited about this brew when I heard about it, and he was gracious enough to grab me a few bottles! I've never had lychee fruit, so this should be interesting.

A - nice pale golden hue. Chill haze. Starts with a billowing head, then fades to a lacy lingering film.

S - The first thing that hit me was the wild funk, hay, banyard, etc. As I get past that I get lemon and sour apple notes. White wine-ish.

T - Lemony lactic acid that doesn't last. Im not sure if its the lychee fruit, but i can taste a tart almost sour strawberry like fruitiness in there. There's the ghost of sweetness too. funk like the nose, and a Chardonnay finish. Easy drinking, and slight wheat in the background. The acetic acid hits last, and lingers slightly as the beer goes down.

M - Great carbonation, sharp on the tongue, but not over carbonated. Helps accentuate the flavors. Body is light on the tongue, nice and thin.

Overall it's a very tasty, refreshing brew. Not over the top or exaggerated, but very solid as a fruit limbic with an unexpected fruit. I cant wait to see what this beer does over time. Highly enjoyable and not tongue/palate killing. Easy enough for me to drink a 750ml and want more.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Served in a Bruery snifter.

Gotta love it when you buy a beer from its namesake, right? Big props to Kristina at West Lakeview for holding down the fort at an awesome bottle shop. Her beer pours a hazy sunrise straw topped by about a finger or so of lightly cream-white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, light lime, tart orange zest, light oak, and a light nuttiness that escapes further characterization. The taste takes the citrus-heavy notions of the smell and tweaks them a bit, sorta fading them out slightly in favor of more of the faint nuttiness, more oak, and a bit of soft cheese. I assume this is the lychee fruit's doing, though my never having heard of the damn thing before this beer really doesn't help me in this regard. This is an interesting fruit flavor, I must say. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sticky finish. Overall, a nice lambic, but I gotta figure it's this newfangled lychee fruit that's keeping things from being great. I can't call it bad, just odd, really...

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a clear golden color with a tall white head. Some fruitiness on the nose, though nothing that overtly states lychee. Slight sweetness, some orange and grapefruit, and a bit of lemon. As it warms, a touch of lychee. Light straw and oak to the nose as well. The flavor is a blend of tartness and sweetness. Some mild funk notes of straw, grass, and must. Some lychee, grapefruit, and lemon peel tartness. Good, but not amazing.

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

I was really excited when this was shared with me last year, as I love lychee fruit. I have even homebrewed with it myself so am very familiar with the taste and had very high expectations...

Aroma was of pineapple and was actually quite hoppy for a "lambic/wild."

Not sweet at all (I expected at least some), and extremely dry. Biting hard carbonation.

Not terrible, but nothing outstanding. Sadly I detected no appreciable lychee flavor or aroma - so disappointing in this regard.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

This has the appearance I'm looking for. Decent stickiness, not too much.

Great sweetness. Lychee is there but very faint. The faintness of sweet fruits blends with a light bready power. It's just so light in fruit I'm dissappointef. Where's the freshness? Light light sulfur.

Flavors of light sulfur, some diapers. Mustard! Citric acid, fruit and malty sweetness. Finishes with a light dry character, tannic faint. Needs more barrel. Needs more fruit.

The body is right, the flavor and acidity is right for a fresh lambic. The sweetness doesn't match the fruit. It probably won't age well.

It's okay. Nothing special. Nothing great for 28 dollars.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Mikkeller's sour ales have been a little hit-or-miss for me so I go into this session with a bit of apprehension. With absolutely no knowledge of lychee fruit that was added to the brewing process, I'm excited about unique flavors that this ingredient provides.

With no surprises to the eye, the beer pours with a cloudy gold color that seems more straw when held to the light. Light yet creamy, the beer's somewhat dainty head is an even skirt early but reduces to pocketed islands later. With its void of lace, the beer succumbs to its acidity and throws its carbonation to the wayside hardly midway through the session.

Sourness has to wait a bit as the first whiff of the beer strikes the nose with pungent aromas of dried lime, Limburger cheese, sour milk, pepper, wet hay, and yogurt. Sure, it sounds off but remember that many stinky cheeses turn out beautiful after they are tasted...

Its taste couldn't differentiated more from taste as the soured milk notes are evaded and the clean lactic taste of dried limes, grapefruit, passion fruit, salt brine, and earthy tastes that remind the senses of shellfish, leather, mushroom, and damp oak. Its a complex taste that's sharp, acidic, and very clean. Its really fun to taste its delightful potpourri although describing it with such unpleasantries. Perhaps I never knew that about myself.

The beer's dry character is captured early and only accelerates late. Short-lived cracker-like bread texture is largely attributed to light carbonated creaminess and doughy residual sweetness. But the beer quickly sheds its malts and makes the powdery-dry textures of yeast, age, and acids the story thereafter. Finishing bitter with citrus peels, there's a mild grape seed astringency that accompanies the late texture; just before light warmth, racy tartness, and tannin-rich airiness closes the taste.

After that goaty, sour milk scent; the beer's taste is spot on for any legitimate lambic taste. It is authentic, farmhouse, and strongly pungent. Any appreciator of fermented foods, canned goods, and overall sour taste will find a high level of accompaniment with a glass of this highly artistically ale.

7/6/2012

Bottle shared by Jason. Thank! Yellow orange body with a small white head. The aroma is of lychee, oak, and plum with a touch of vanilla. Earth blends with leather and mild tartness. Grainy malt in the flavor with earth, plum, pear, apple, and lychee. Light oak presence with restrained barnyard notes. The beer is light in body with lively carbonation

3.67/5  rDev -6.1%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into snifter.

A: Pours a nice copper color with bit of haze. A ring of foam forms, no true head.

S: Sour musty aroma. Some fruitiness here that I can make into a lychee aroma if I really try.

T: Sour fruit flavor up front, fades a bit into a more flat, nondescript sour flavor. Not overly mouth-puckering. No overt lychee flavor that I get, however. It gets more vinous as it warms somewhat.

M: Good amount of carbonation with a nice dry finish.

O: A tasty beer, but I expected more.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago.

A - Gold and very clear with a small white head.

S - Fruity with some tropical fruits and a bit funky. Very nice.

T - Funky with a mild sourness and a tartness that I assume comes from the lychee fruit. Complex and interesting.

M - A low carbonation with a silky smooth feel.

O - A very interesting beer. I've never had lychee fruit but it seems to add something nice to this brew.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

A: poured almost translucent clear in color with golden yellow highlights and a thin head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: most of the components were acidic sour notes, maybe some lychee character but not really. it did have a little funkiness to it, lemon citrus for sure and hints of oak barrel aging going on as well.

T: Not sure what lychee really taste like but I did get a little fruit flavor in it so I'm assuming it's lychee however it did have plenty of funk, lemon citrus twang, acidic notes all around, a bit of oakiness, and some musty barnyard character.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, acidic, oaky, mildly fruity, sour, and slight dry finish.

O: pretty interesting beer I have to say but was solid all around and damn tasty as well.

3.86/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Split a bottle with a couple of friends, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance is a bright yellow color with a finger of off-white head. It looks nice. The nose has apricots, yeast, hay and bananas. For the taste, there is sourness, citrus, some bitterness and grass. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, some carbonation and a nice, dry finish. Mikkeller seems to have quite a few misses (granted they make a lot of beers), but this is not one of them. Would recommend trying it if you are given the chance.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

This pours a pale, straw yellow without a head on it. Lemony citrus notes are all over the nose with some apples and other sweet fruits (perhaps lychee) in the mix as well. The palate is similar to the aroma - soft fruits open this one up with lemons and some apples sticking out. It ends a little musty with more lambic flavors taking over and dominating. Medium body with a nice mouthfeel. This is a pretty good lambic. I have never had lychee before so I wasn't able to really pick it out, however I assume it is a sweeter fruit. Worth a shot.

to view more.