Sour Bitch - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Lambic - Fruit |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 07-18-2011

Spontanale with lychee fruit.

Brewed at De Proef Brouverij.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

This pours a pale, straw yellow without a head on it. Lemony citrus notes are all over the nose with some apples and other sweet fruits (perhaps lychee) in the mix as well. The palate is similar to the aroma - soft fruits open this one up with lemons and some apples sticking out. It ends a little musty with more lambic flavors taking over and dominating. Medium body with a nice mouthfeel. This is a pretty good lambic. I have never had lychee before so I wasn't able to really pick it out, however I assume it is a sweeter fruit. Worth a shot. (546 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Served in a Bruery snifter.

Gotta love it when you buy a beer from its namesake, right? Big props to Kristina at West Lakeview for holding down the fort at an awesome bottle shop. Her beer pours a hazy sunrise straw topped by about a finger or so of lightly cream-white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, light lime, tart orange zest, light oak, and a light nuttiness that escapes further characterization. The taste takes the citrus-heavy notions of the smell and tweaks them a bit, sorta fading them out slightly in favor of more of the faint nuttiness, more oak, and a bit of soft cheese. I assume this is the lychee fruit's doing, though my never having heard of the damn thing before this beer really doesn't help me in this regard. This is an interesting fruit flavor, I must say. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sticky finish. Overall, a nice lambic, but I gotta figure it's this newfangled lychee fruit that's keeping things from being great. I can't call it bad, just odd, really... (1,024 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle opened by Huhzubendah, thanks! At the time of this review, this beer is currently the #29 beer on the "Top Beers - Lambic - Fruit" on beeradvocate.com. Served in a Stone IRS snifter.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a soft white head of small bubbles, no lacing, low retention, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is sweet, mildly fruity, mostly lactic, mild oak, mild acetic perhaps.

Beer is really light and airy on the palate, leaves almost no impression at first, the tartness of it creeps up on you, surprises me a little, the more I drink this the better it gets. I'm on the fence but I suppose I would have it again. (621 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

750 mL bottle shared by Matt.

Pours a clear, light orange-peach color with a nice, dense white head; good retention and lacing. Aroma is oaky, cheesy, lemony and what I assume is lychee fruity. Flavor is similar, but mild. Effervescent light body with a mild sour and fruity body. Nice, but a little boring. (308 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer is transparent and light orange hued with a thick white head that leaves ample lacing on the glass. The aroma is white wine, tart fruit, oak. The flavor brings a puckering sensation with what must be the lychee fruit. Tart and sour, but balanced by a delicate fruit sweetness and a hint of alcohol. Overall, interesting, intriguing, and enjoyable. That said, this is not in the upper echelon of lambics. Recommended. (425 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this bottle. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours a clear light peach color with a good white head and some nice lacing. The nose has a bit of cheese and some lychee. Flavor is relatively similar. Light sourness. Light body with spritzy carbonation. Pretty good but not fantastic. (314 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review - Bottle gratiously shared by ShadesOfGray by way of MasterSki after my last law school final of my first semester - Contracts. Poured into a Fantome tulip.

Look - Nice sticky, bursting frothy foam head capping a hazy, burnt cornmeal colored beer.

Smell - Faint, almost non-existent. Strawberry and mimosa, touch of sweet apple cider vinegar, over-ripe lemon. Maybe lychee in the background, but I wouldn't say that if I didn't know it was in there.

Taste - Like a nice, fruity gueuze. Strawberry, lime sherbert, hint of mushroomy funk, touch of lychee in the finish (again, I wouldn't say it if I hadn't been told, but thinking about it it does come through in the finish). Nice balance of lactic and malic sourness, and a pleasant dry, almost vegetal finish with perhaps a touch of minerality too.

Mouthfeel - Sharp, assertive bristle of bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Smoothes into a properly full and nicely astringent and tannic midpalate that ends dry, dry, dry. The sweetness in the finish offsets the dryness refreshingly.

Overall - Quite nice, I really enjoyed the dryness of the mouthfeel most of all. Really more of a solid gueuze with some lovely fruit aspects (light strawberry) than a lychee sour, but as the bottle goes along I found myself enjoying this more and more (1,303 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +12.3%

A- pours a hazy orange color with a finger of off white head. Ok retention. Some lacing.

S- aromas of sweet lychee and a lemon zest. Smooth funky blue cheese and soft hay like Brett note. Finishes with soft wheat like aromas and soft malt. Very smooth soft nose.

T- starts off with a light acidic tartness with a lemon zest flavor. The lychee really comes out with a touch of sweetness that is balanced by the tartness. Finishes with some earthy Brett and funk with the fruit that continues throughout the finish.

MF- puckering slick mouthfeel. Medium body and some bubbly fine carbonation.

D- super drinkable.

Overall a great refreshing beverage. (653 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

This has the appearance I'm looking for. Decent stickiness, not too much.

Great sweetness. Lychee is there but very faint. The faintness of sweet fruits blends with a light bready power. It's just so light in fruit I'm dissappointef. Where's the freshness? Light light sulfur.

Flavors of light sulfur, some diapers. Mustard! Citric acid, fruit and malty sweetness. Finishes with a light dry character, tannic faint. Needs more barrel. Needs more fruit.

The body is right, the flavor and acidity is right for a fresh lambic. The sweetness doesn't match the fruit. It probably won't age well.

It's okay. Nothing special. Nothing great for 28 dollars. (654 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

I had this at Jackie O's during the bottle share on the bottle release day. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden amber with a layer of fluffy white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite funky with a strong acidic nots. Very sour with some herbal and hay like notes.

Taste: Citrus tartness with some herbal notes and a high level of sourness. Mildly fruity with a sour finish. This is a really delicate sour beer.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side with sharp carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great light sour beer. Crisp, dry and delicate. I would gladly have it again given the chance. (664 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy gold with a little orange hue and a couple fingers of foamy off-white head.

Smells sour with hints of some sweet fruits and a good dose of oak.

Lightly sweet almost red grape like fruit sweetness hits the tongue for a second before getting overtaken by the sourness. It's more of a musty bitter sour and isn't overly intense, but the focal point nonetheless. Finishes dry with a wonderful oak component. While very different beers otherwise, the oak component in isolation reminds me a lot of Batch 23 Damnation.

Fairly light bodied with high carbonation levels.

Wonderful surprise from Mikkeller who I'm usually hit or miss on. Very well balanced with some complexity. My only slight complaint is I wish the lychee were featured a bit more prominently, but otherwise close to perfect. (804 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

bottle... dark gold body with an almost peach hue, bright white head, great lacing with a solid ring, one of the better lambic's I've seen... the aroma is quite nice and complex, the front is very fruity with light citrus and distint lychee bitter but a sweet note, the middle provides some great spider web musk, hay, farmy finish, quite good and complex, only wish the fruit was a bit stronger and less of an accent only... the taste loses almost all of the fruit but what is left is very good musky spider web gueze that's very easy drink, as it warms the finish brings about a bitter fruit taste that breaks up the musk and adds great complexity... not an in your face fruit lambic which I like, but a refined subtle beer that is very enjoyable (748 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a very lovely pale straw color and smells quite sour and alive. First taste is sour and slightly bitter with a light sweetness lingering on the aftertaste from the lychee.

The sour dissipates lightning fast and I think I would prefer this if it puckered a bit more, but the dry finish is very nice. It's a really easy drink at 7.7% ABV and by the end of this bottle, I will presumably feel it.

This is the first sour I've had from Mikkeller and I really like it. Would be very interesting to see how it develops with some time on it since the fruit either doesn't seem to add a ton or lychees already taste like sour beer. I've only ever had them twice. Once, I was on a 3-day bender at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas. Their brunch buffet is truly remarkable and I remember choking a couple lychees down before pocketing a handful for good luck at the craps tables. It worked.

My other lychee experience was a martini, my fifth of the night, so yeah. I am no lychee expert.

Anyway, this is really a nice drinking sour beer and I'm glad I have more. (1,067 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last