Sour Bitch - Mikkeller ApS

Sour BitchSour Bitch

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Lambic - Fruit |  7.70% ABV

Spontanale with lychee fruit.

Brewed at De Proef Brouverij.

(Beer added by: bark on 07-18-2011)
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

pour is a golden yellow with about an inch of light airy head. some lacing and nice retention.

light oak and sour lychee. some grape and apple

fairly complex through out, nice lychee and and a fairly prominent oak flavor. i was picking up some concord grape which was quite enjoyable.

mild to moderate carbonation, light and easy. some dryness.

pretty decent overall but the $30 price tag suuucks.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a tall white head. Some fruitiness on the nose, though nothing that overtly states lychee. Slight sweetness, some orange and grapefruit, and a bit of lemon. As it warms, a touch of lychee. Light straw and oak to the nose as well. The flavor is a blend of tartness and sweetness. Some mild funk notes of straw, grass, and must. Some lychee, grapefruit, and lemon peel tartness. Good, but not amazing.

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago.

A - Gold and very clear with a small white head.

S - Fruity with some tropical fruits and a bit funky. Very nice.

T - Funky with a mild sourness and a tartness that I assume comes from the lychee fruit. Complex and interesting.

M - A low carbonation with a silky smooth feel.

O - A very interesting beer. I've never had lychee fruit but it seems to add something nice to this brew.

7/6/2012

Bottle shared by Jason. Thank! Yellow orange body with a small white head. The aroma is of lychee, oak, and plum with a touch of vanilla. Earth blends with leather and mild tartness. Grainy malt in the flavor with earth, plum, pear, apple, and lychee. Light oak presence with restrained barnyard notes. The beer is light in body with lively carbonation

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago, for $27.99. Took it out of the fridge for about an hour before pouring into 2 snifter glasses.

A - When I opened the bottle, the first thing I noticed was a significant ring of brown yeast all over the bottle cap and the top of the neck. I wasn't sure what to make of that? Anyway, it Pours a slightly redish, golden brown color with about 1 finger of off-white head. I held it up to the light and stared at it for a long time. At first it looks very clear, but as the bubbles rise quickly, you can see a lot of yeast.

S - When I smelled the bottle / cap - I instantly got a huge whiff of bready yeast. As I smelled the beer from my snifter, I got more fresh bread smell and a very slight fruity smell.

T - Upon first impression I was a little disappointed because it wasn't as sour as I was hoping for. But this beer is a LOT more complex than I expected. Lychee fruit is not a very overpowering fruit, but I think this beer captures the flavor very well. You get a bit of sweetness and flavor, without the lychee dominating the beer. I also get a white wine type of dryness in here too and you can taste the oakiness of the barrel aging too. The flavors all became much more pronounced as the beer warmed too.

M - The mouth feel was just about right... not too thick or thin. I would have preferred a finer carbonation like some of the better Belgian lambics, but all in all it was good.

O - I am glad that I bought 3 of these, because the other 2 will benefit from some serious aging. There is enough yeast and funk in there to do some good stuff in the years to come - so I'm excited for that! All in all though, I would suggest giving this beer a try, but for the money, I would suggest throwing it in the cellar for a while.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, whartontallboy!

(Aged for 6+ months)

Golden in color with a quickly forming near-white head that recedes quickly, eventually leaving small streaks of lace down the glass. Pretty and appropriate.

Definite fruit/citrus forward aroma, with some white wine, oak, and a very mild funk character. If given this blind, I'd have guessed that mango was the fruit used, not lychee.

The fruit again plays the dominant role, along with a moderate level of sourness, an earthy, barnyard funk, some wood, and white wine. Finishes very dry.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. Easy to drink.

Very nice treat from Mikkeller, and easily, one of my favorite offerings from them to date.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle from MasterSki, thanks Alex! 750ml into a tulip.

Hazy orange, a couple fingers of white head. Sticky lace, with good retention. Nose is real funky, some lemon, a touch of citrus, wheat and a kiss of oak. More funk and tart citrus on the palate; also, having had lychee only once before I can still pick this out quite easily here. Some other light fleshed fruits may be in the mix here too. Fruity and lightly sour, but not as sour as I had anticipated. Still, a nice sour overall, the lychee was nice to have tried in a beer.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Orange with a bubbly head. Above average mouthfeel. Funky aroma which is fine for the style. A good drinker, smooth and a nice sour peach, apricot, lemon and lime, not expected from such sweet fruit,i.e. the lychee.Very good sour,and interesting, thanks Jason.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into snifter.

A: Pours a nice copper color with bit of haze. A ring of foam forms, no true head.

S: Sour musty aroma. Some fruitiness here that I can make into a lychee aroma if I really try.

T: Sour fruit flavor up front, fades a bit into a more flat, nondescript sour flavor. Not overly mouth-puckering. No overt lychee flavor that I get, however. It gets more vinous as it warms somewhat.

M: Good amount of carbonation with a nice dry finish.

O: A tasty beer, but I expected more.

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

750 ml C&C bottle served in a Deschutes tulip. Shared in line at DLD.

A: Pours a clear golden amber color with a frothy and bubbly pure white head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thick ring and leaves some splotchy lace on the glass.

S: Some sweet fruits, light tart green apple and some grassy flavors.

T: Very light in the taste. It's like there's nothing here. I have to struggle to find anything besides some sweet lychee fruit and some grassy/wheat flavors on the finish.

M: Clean and light bodied. It is refreshing and not drying at all.

O: There's nothing sour about this beer, it drinks like a grassy wheat beer with smidge of fruit added. Not worth half of the $28 price tag. It doesn't taste bad by any means, but please give me a sour lambic or at least something with some puckering tartness if you're going to call your beer "Sour Bitch."

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden, slightly hazy, 1/2 finger of white head that fades quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: slightly tart, the lychee fruit is very prevalent, gummy bears, fruity, sulfur.

Taste: tart, gueuze like, lychee, hoppy, grapefruit, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, tart, moderate carbonation.

Overall: Pretty tasty. Drinkability is fairly high. The balance is a bit off. The bitterness clashes with the sourness.

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

I was really excited when this was shared with me last year, as I love lychee fruit. I have even homebrewed with it myself so am very familiar with the taste and had very high expectations...

Aroma was of pineapple and was actually quite hoppy for a "lambic/wild."

Not sweet at all (I expected at least some), and extremely dry. Biting hard carbonation.

Not terrible, but nothing outstanding. Sadly I detected no appreciable lychee flavor or aroma - so disappointing in this regard.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%