Hop Burn Double Imperial Pale Ale - Mikkeller ApS

Hop Burn Double Imperial Pale AleHop Burn Double Imperial Pale Ale

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

(Beer added by: bark on 10-23-2011)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

This is my second beer to try from Mikkeller.

It pours a really thick and hazy orange and slightly reddish color with a little bit of white head.

The smell is very hoppy of course and it's followed by some strong mango, apricot and pineapple notes.

Taste wise is exactly like the smell; a lot of hops throughout, a nice amount of the fruits already mentioned and a bit of an alcohol burn that isn't masked unfortunately.

Overall, another great beer by this brewery and I want to try more.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Quick note: I don't know if I'm drinking Hop Burn or Hop Burn High. From some quick research, the labels for both appear the same, as do the ABVs. My label matches the one on this BA listing, but it also matches the one on many external reviews of the "Hop Burn High".

Hey! DIPAs from breweries outside of the United States have always been a no win proposition: Bizarre recipes, travel time (freshness issues), proper storage concerns, price... but I decided to pick one of these up at my local Whole Foods and give it a try since BrewDog's Hardcore IPA made me quite happy a week ago. Hop Burn is even better than that. The price tag for American buyers is a bit rough, but the beer pours a beautiful glowing mellow gold, smells of pungent hops, tastes of pungent hops with a lovely whipped cream note... might lose a point in the taste because of a bit of an aspirin bite on the finish. But this is a beer that I'd like to see more readily available in the U.S - I'd buy it in six- or four-packs all the time if a brewery here put it out. Bravo, Mikkeller!

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a cloudy consistency. There was a huge, foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A very hoppy smell, with a lot of citrus thrown in as well.

T: Tasted primarily of hops - lots of hops - along with some malt, grapefruit, pine, and a little lemon. A robust, complex, powerful flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, yet bitter finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A well made, focused, incredibly hoppy beer. This is one of the few European-made DIPAs that actually gets the style right. Very drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

I picked this beer up in a 6-pack mix and it was the first one I pulled out to try. I've heard amazing things about the Mikkeller Brewery but had yet to try one of their beers. Interesting fact about Mikkeller - they're headquartered in Denmark. The Hop Burn Double Imperial IPA states that it is brewed and bottled in Belgium. I found out that Mikkeller has multiple other brewing facilities in multiple countries in Europe and the US.

Unfortunately, I just had a pint glass to pour this baby into. Like the other reviewers said, copper in color with a huge white bubbly head to it. The hops and floral aromas were really prevalent.

The name of this beer hits the taste on the nose. It'll knock you back with a huge hop flavor and has an intense lingering bitterness. I love a strong bite to my beer so I was all for this!

Parting words - if you're not a hop lover - leave this one for the pros.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Purchased at Peabody's Wine and Beer in Boone, NC. Thanks Benny!

A - Nice light to medium amber color with a thick foam(1/2"). The lacing is very nice also. The beer is not tottally clear but that is ok with me.

S - Not a big hoppy, citrus smell but some big beers are like that and again that is ok with me.

T - A very nice hop taste that builds throught the taste, which mixes with some citrus and pine nut flavor. The build continues past the taste and is very satisfying.

M - Good mouthfeel, it is heavier than alot of double I-IPA's that I have had in the past. This beer ranges in the medium-heavy category with its thickness in viscosity with great last to the mouthfeel, a real enjoyment.

O - I really like this beer. There are better and alot worse beers out there in this vategory but this one hits a high note for me with the color, lacing, flavor, build in the taste like a burn if you will. When I find this beer again I will buy it.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Pours a deep, hazy orange. Foamy pure white head with great retention and lacing.

S - Not nearly as much hop on the nose as I expected. Lots of sweet honey-like notes with a little floral in the background.

T - Sugar / honey-sweet malts on the front end. Migrates into lots floral and citrusy hops on the middle. It dries out and leaves a nice bitterness on the finish.

M - Perfect for the style. Thick, but not like the 1000 IBU, just enough to coat the palate and leave a lingering flavor. Great carbonation that really helps round out the mouthfeel.

O - Really enjoyable beer. I hope I can find it again one of these days so I can share it with some of my hop-head friends. It's not the kind of pure hop-bomb that you'd expect from the name. It's a surprisingly well balanced bomb that is full of flavor and a little different than your standard DIPA.

Served in a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA glass.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Pours a golden honey amber with a finger thick white head that coats the glass.

smells of citrus and pine notes.

Tastes of big hop bitterness (grapefruit) up front that mellows as the beer warms. ABV is 10% but hardly noticable.

Mouth feel is medium to low. The bitterness lingers after each sip.

Overall a surpisingly drinkable DIPA. Don't be afraid to pop this open alone you can definantly finish it.

Hop Burn Double Imperial Pale Ale from Mikkeller ApS