Hop Burn Double Imperial Pale Ale - Mikkeller ApS

Hop Burn Double Imperial Pale AleHop Burn Double Imperial Pale Ale

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

(Beer added by: bark on 10-23-2011)

ObiWanKushnobi, Sep 13, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy off-white head. Really great lacing as the head slowly fades.

S - Very citrusey. Lemon zest and grapefruit.

T/M - The cirtus carries over into the taste, as well as a little alcohol heat. Nice carmel malt backbone. Just a slight bitter aftertaste. Medium mouth feel, bordering on syrupy.

O - I have been disappointed before by import IPAs before. This one didn't totally disappoint. The hop character isn't as bold as I would prefer my DIPAs to be, but it's better than expected. My only complaint really, is the alcohol is very present in this one. Besides that, nice job. Cheers

Rizalini, Aug 05, 2012

steevbr, Sep 22, 2013

bradcochran1234, Mar 09, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

JohnLynch, May 31, 2012

jlove5, Jan 27, 2012

quilty, Feb 17, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -2%

From an 11.2 oz bottle into my tasting snifter. No bottling or freshness date.

Pours a hazed gold with a one finger egg shell white head. Very nice retention and lacing.

Smell is almost all hop. Hits all the major adjectives. Juicy, tropical, citrus, some pine, tons of resin. Bitter but some sweetness lies beneath. Some clean alcohol as well. Kinda intimidating.

Wow, much more mellow than the nose. Still intensely hoppy, with loads of melon and pine. Tons of hop resin. A low key but still apparent sweet malt backbone. Very bitter, and some evaporating alcohol.

Medium in body, but feels thicker with all the hop oils. Good amount of carbonation. There is a bit of a burn off the back of the tongue that I attribute to both the hops and the alcohol. Still surprisingly smooth and drinkable.

Overall this is an intense hop experience, but is in no way mind blowing. A very quality brew (as I've come to expect from Mikkeller) but somehow falls short of greatness (also something I've come to expect from Mikkeller). Reminds me of a Ruination with a bit more bite. If your a hop head give it a try, but don't expect to be blown away. Cheers!

Humulus85, Sep 12, 2012

Ilafan, Jul 24, 2014

kchannel9, Aug 19, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Quick note: I don't know if I'm drinking Hop Burn or Hop Burn High. From some quick research, the labels for both appear the same, as do the ABVs. My label matches the one on this BA listing, but it also matches the one on many external reviews of the "Hop Burn High".

Hey! DIPAs from breweries outside of the United States have always been a no win proposition: Bizarre recipes, travel time (freshness issues), proper storage concerns, price... but I decided to pick one of these up at my local Whole Foods and give it a try since BrewDog's Hardcore IPA made me quite happy a week ago. Hop Burn is even better than that. The price tag for American buyers is a bit rough, but the beer pours a beautiful glowing mellow gold, smells of pungent hops, tastes of pungent hops with a lovely whipped cream note... might lose a point in the taste because of a bit of an aspirin bite on the finish. But this is a beer that I'd like to see more readily available in the U.S - I'd buy it in six- or four-packs all the time if a brewery here put it out. Bravo, Mikkeller!

mfunk9786, Jul 30, 2012

Britton, Jan 26, 2012

Slipmthgoose, Aug 09, 2012

Nathanbolin, May 09, 2014

BeerDrinkingDiver, Oct 17, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Pours a deep, hazy orange. Foamy pure white head with great retention and lacing.

S - Not nearly as much hop on the nose as I expected. Lots of sweet honey-like notes with a little floral in the background.

T - Sugar / honey-sweet malts on the front end. Migrates into lots floral and citrusy hops on the middle. It dries out and leaves a nice bitterness on the finish.

M - Perfect for the style. Thick, but not like the 1000 IBU, just enough to coat the palate and leave a lingering flavor. Great carbonation that really helps round out the mouthfeel.

O - Really enjoyable beer. I hope I can find it again one of these days so I can share it with some of my hop-head friends. It's not the kind of pure hop-bomb that you'd expect from the name. It's a surprisingly well balanced bomb that is full of flavor and a little different than your standard DIPA.

Served in a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA glass.

ESPNman, Mar 10, 2012

Morningside, Jul 28, 2012

Grinnerman, Mar 03, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Purchased at Peabody's Wine and Beer in Boone, NC. Thanks Benny!

A - Nice light to medium amber color with a thick foam(1/2"). The lacing is very nice also. The beer is not tottally clear but that is ok with me.

S - Not a big hoppy, citrus smell but some big beers are like that and again that is ok with me.

T - A very nice hop taste that builds throught the taste, which mixes with some citrus and pine nut flavor. The build continues past the taste and is very satisfying.

M - Good mouthfeel, it is heavier than alot of double I-IPA's that I have had in the past. This beer ranges in the medium-heavy category with its thickness in viscosity with great last to the mouthfeel, a real enjoyment.

O - I really like this beer. There are better and alot worse beers out there in this vategory but this one hits a high note for me with the color, lacing, flavor, build in the taste like a burn if you will. When I find this beer again I will buy it.

beerenjoyer1, Sep 04, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

allhaildracula, Aug 27, 2012

cjdoerr, Feb 08, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Copper in color with little head and lacing.

S: Alcohol is very strong up front. Sweet fruit, citrus, and strawberry notes are evident after getting through the alcohol aroma.

T: Very bitter hop bite, unbalanced, and one dimensional.

M: Thin despite the lower carbonation. Very astringent from all of the hops.

O: I was looking forward to this beer but it fell short of my expectations. Perhaps it would be better fresh...

Rasolante1, Mar 10, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Pours a golden honey amber with a finger thick white head that coats the glass.

smells of citrus and pine notes.

Tastes of big hop bitterness (grapefruit) up front that mellows as the beer warms. ABV is 10% but hardly noticable.

Mouth feel is medium to low. The bitterness lingers after each sip.

Overall a surpisingly drinkable DIPA. Don't be afraid to pop this open alone you can definantly finish it.

faucd531, Feb 09, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

This is tasty double IPA if you like lots of flavor. It was a good first try for the Mikkeller beers for me. I enjoyed the overall flavors and texture of the beer. I poured it into a regular pint glass and two fingers of head arose along with the floral aromas and sweetness of the hops.

This is a smooth double imperial pale ale to say the least. I was impressed by the way it resonated in my mouth and the diversity of the flavors, an easy and refreshing drink for a 10% beer.

Lostcarkeys, Mar 02, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +8%

I picked this beer up in a 6-pack mix and it was the first one I pulled out to try. I've heard amazing things about the Mikkeller Brewery but had yet to try one of their beers. Interesting fact about Mikkeller - they're headquartered in Denmark. The Hop Burn Double Imperial IPA states that it is brewed and bottled in Belgium. I found out that Mikkeller has multiple other brewing facilities in multiple countries in Europe and the US.

Unfortunately, I just had a pint glass to pour this baby into. Like the other reviewers said, copper in color with a huge white bubbly head to it. The hops and floral aromas were really prevalent.

The name of this beer hits the taste on the nose. It'll knock you back with a huge hop flavor and has an intense lingering bitterness. I love a strong bite to my beer so I was all for this!

Parting words - if you're not a hop lover - leave this one for the pros.

SarahJensen, Apr 26, 2012