Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel Aged - Mikkeller ApS

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel AgedTexas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel Aged

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Porter |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: woosterbill on 11-29-2011

A Porter brewed especially for Texas: water, malt (smoked, maris otter, cara-crystal, brown and chocolate), roasted barley, hops (zeus, Saaz and centennial), yeast and chipotle chili. Aged in Speyside whisky barrels.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 45
2.05/5  rDev -48.2%

The pour is black in color with a tan head. Aroma isn't very good. Green apple, paint thinner, and alcohol. Some roasted malt and maybe a bit of dark chocolate. Really quite abrasive. The flavor is a touch better than the nose, luckily. Green apple, chocolate, roast, alcohol, and maybe just a hint of whiskey. There's a weird chlorine flavor to it, too. I don't really get any of the peppers. Too bad as the regular version was quite good.

3.24/5  rDev -18.2%

375ml bottle poured into a Surly Darkness glass. Big thanks to Tony for sharing this one.

A: Black body, 1/2" head of fine brown foam that settles into a ring. Nice.

S: Fruity, with apple and honeydew melon being bizarrely prominent. Some oak and whisky are also present, but the slightly overripe fruit sadly dominates. Too bad.

T: A touch of overripe apple is up front, followed by much nice chipotle spice, whisky, oak, vanilla, and chocolate. Pleasant spicy aftertaste. Still not great overall, but much better than the aroma.

M: Medium body, plenty of fine, creamy carbonation. Good.

O: Well, what can I say? It's not the worst barrel-aged Mikkeller offering I've tried, but it's definitely far from a success. The rotten fruit overtones were inescapable, and suggested something gone seriously awry. I wouldn't mind trying the base beer (I have a feeling that the peppers would have gone great with a nice chocolatey porter without the weird fruit in the way), but I'm definitely disappointed in the Speyside version. I love Scotch, but this just didn't deliver. Save your $12.

Cheers!

3.4/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

330mL bottle poured into tulip

Pours an opaque browned color with some dark, almost black hues. Topped with a one-finger high layer of lightly tanned head, leaving a slick of film across the brew. Not much lacing.

The barrel is a bit lighter than I thought it might be, but still delivers a spike of whiskey heat up front. Touches of chocolate and nuttiness with coffee beans and some roasted notes. Faint notion of spice with a little bit of vanilla.

A little sweet and warm up front with plenty of roasted malts. Nutty with coffee and chocolate notes underneath. Slightly boozy, although not over powering, coupled with a few hits of smoke. The peppers come in towards the back end, and mesh fairly well with the whiskey barrel character. Finishes a warm and boozy.

Fuller medium body, decent carbonation, a bit sticky and chewy on the tongue. This was decent - I was actually expecting something completely out of control, considering who the brewer is, but I found the chipotle and whiskey presence slightly subdued.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from the bottle into my Hunahpu's glass.

Appearance: Pours an opaque dark brown with some red at the edges when the light hits the beer. There is a half finger of thick, tan head that fades quickly to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Roasty, smokey, and sweet. Full of dark fruit notes. There is a note of heat from the peppers.

Taste: Roasty up front and then the heat builds. It isn't a dominating heat, just enough to make sure you know it's there. There is a whiskey flavor as well as some oak from the barrels. The finish is roasty and bitter with some more heat.

Mouthfeel: The body is a touch on the watery side with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The flavor was a bit muddled. I think I preferred the non barrel aged version of this beer. I don't think I'd spend the money on another bottle.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours out a simple-looking, black body with a smallish, dark tan head.

Smell: Moderately roasty, smoky aroma staked by reserved notes of chipotle peppers, peat-smelling Speyside whiskey, chocolate, and caramel.

Taste: Essentially roasted malts with a fair amount of upfront sweetness and a touch of semi-sweet chocolate chunks. Heat from the added peppers begins slinking in, building on the tongue. Noted smoke element contributed by the malts as well as the chipotles. Little hints of sea salt caramel, vanilla, earthy peat. Dry finish with some lingering pepper heat.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I thought it was alright. Yep, just alright.

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%

Another lovely Christmas present from my lovely wife, who intentionally seeks out odd, obscure bottles that I might never quite have gotten to. European green bottle of 12.7 ounces, split with said wife.

Pour is black black; no leakage around the edges, & a quick-collapsing head. After a suitable period to warm, nose is sharp peppers, warm chocolate, & a smoke from a distant fire. There are worse things than these three. Nice.

Texas Range Chipotle Porter aged in Speyside Barrels sounds like an aggressive little bastard, but he ain't. The chiles push to the forefront of the tastes, but they are quiet, & balanced out by mild chocolates & sleepy sweetness. Mid-section is moderately smokey, sliding into a close of peat. The chiles make themselves known further south, as my stomach begins to warm. That warning might limit my consumption of this beer.

With the promised smoke & whiskey & peppers, I was hoping for a triple high off the wall, but this is more balanced than blast. Good.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at my favorite beer store in Belgium, Dranken Geers. Pitch black pour with a one finger, creamy, tan head with decent retention and lacing. Roasty, smokey nose with hints of dark chocolate, espresso, booze, and just a subtle touch of chili. The taste follows suit with lots of cocoa, dark chocolate, and roasted malt. As expected, the flavor from the Speyside barrels is much smokier than with the bourbon barrel version. As it warms, the chipotles begin to emerge and make for an enjoyable combination with the peat from the barrels. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and chalky with a subtle warming finish. Overall, it's a step down from the Bourbon BA version and it lacks depth, but is still a solid Porter.

3.61/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours dark black with a slight caramel head

S: Spicy sweetness and hot alcohol aroma

T: Very slight residual whiskey flavor. Taste is a lot like the smell. Kind of left open ended and seems to be missing something to round it out. Finish is was an odd bitterness and a charred wood character.

M: Medium-heavy mouthfeel that seems to sit a little heavier than it might need to

O: I was hoping a little more from this. The flavor it distinct...but maybe not in the best way.

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12.7 fl oz green glass bottle with a standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe beer flute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high as this is me favourite brewery in the world, and Mikkel's best beers tend to be his darker ones.

A: Pours a beautiful three finger head of wondrous tan colour, fantastic cream lacing, incredible thickness, and excellent retention. Colour is a solid black.

Sm: Cream, chocolate, chili peppers, and yeast. A moderate strength aroma. The chilis pique my interest.

T: Quite creamy, even from the open, which is wonderful. Some chocolate is present - especially on the finish, which is strange in the balance. The chili is a bit light, but it's a nice touch. Overall, it's a delightful creamy porter. It comes off a bit simple, but doesn't disappoint. Well balanced.

Mf: Smooth, creamy, and wet. I quite fancy this aspect of the beer. Really rolls off the tongue.

Dr: Very drinkable, though the ABV is only above average. It isn't as complex as expected, but it's fanciful nevertheless.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. This one was quite pricey at $12.

4.5 A: Black color. Three fingers of medium brown, frothy/creamy head. Retention is very good and a healthy sized ring of lacing is left behind.

4.5 S: I love me some chilis and this beer has the chipotles way up in the forefront. After that there's ample chocolate. The whiskey isn't very strong. If I hadn't read the label, I probably wouldn't have even detected it. Supple roastiness and maybe a touch of oak and caramel. I don't think I'd be this impressed if the chipotles weren't done perfectly.

3.5 T: The flavors don't mesh nearly as well in the taste. Foremost, the whiskey seems to be a bit off as it gives out a leathery tanginess that I don't quite care for. Too much peat as well. The chilis are done very well again though. They add a great flavor while being reserved with the heat. The chocolate and roastiness are congruent with the peppers. Moderately powerful smokiness. I think if I got a hold of the regular version, I'd like it better.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Could use some more creaminess. Tannic astringency on finish.

3.5 D: This was a tasty beer, but I think it's mostly due to the peppers. The barrel aging did not improve this beer and I feel confident saying that without having had the original.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Doodler. Served in tulip. Thanks!

A: Opaque black, 1/2 inch cappucino head, sticks well to the glass.

N: A deep, deep breath of baker's chocolate. A little bit of smoke and some of the peppers. The honey and butterscotch of the Speyside show up slightly. This is mostly one dimensional chocolate, though.

T: Chocolate and espresso as par for the course. I get some smoke from the chilies I'm guessing here, as I've never noticed Speyside to be particularly smokey, at least if we're talking Aberlour or MaCallan and some research partially backs me up, but more to the point, I don't get a lot of whisky character out of this. In fact, if given this blind, I wouldn't have guessed Speyside, but there's enough oak/woodiness here to get at some barrel aged character. Additionally, the chipotle is here, but it's subdued until the beer warms. When it does arrive, it adds a slight acidity.

M: Coating and pretty much right on the mark for a porter. Neither too heavy or too light, and as such, I won't mark it down.

Overall: Drinks pretty well, and it has some good dimension. However, it's primarily a balanced pepper beer with some very minor whisky overtones. Nothing to complain about, and I would certainly have again. I'd be really interested to try this next to Black Butte XXIII.

Side note: For anyone who really cares, this pairs fantastically with Sriracha Rooster Sauce. In fact, I'd have to say if you can drink it with a burger or some Asian food slathered in Sriracha, you'll enjoy this beer quite a bit more.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a 2finger mocha looking head. Decent retention and lacing.

S: Smells of oak and chipotle.

T: Chipolte oak up front, some whiskey and roasted malts in the middle with a bit of heat on at the end.

M: Medium to full body with medium carbonation.

O: Defiantly a interesting beer. Complex but to me it's missing the backbone. The underlying beer, a porter.

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into my Mikkeller Mugshot Tulip Glass.

Appearance: the Speyside barrel aged Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) is really dark; much more so than your standard porter and with a nice mocha colored head that settles into a thin wisp.

Smell: some spiciness in the nose (not over the top), smoked malt, chocolate malt, and a touch of scotch whiskey.

Taste: .. yeah this beer is definitely brewed with smoke dried jalapeno peppers. The chipotle chili doesn't bamboozle the palate, yet is easily detectable on all sides of the tongue. One the other hand, the Speyside barrel seems to be a little gun-shy. Oh well, maybe it's for the better. There's a nice roasty and chocolatey character to this beer, but it finishes bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel: perhaps a bit to thin. Though maybe I should cut it some slack because it is a porter after all (though it looks like an imperial stout).

Overall: a nice barrel aged porter to be sure, but for $13.49 a bottle I'm not sure it's worth buying again.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours an extremely dark, completely opaque black with about one finger of creamy mocha colored head. The foam settles in a decent amount of time. There is some nice lacing as it drinks. It looks exactly like the regular Texas Ranger but with less head.

S: The barrel treatment on this beer is totally evident. Big notes of booze, earth, peat, salt, and malt. The chilies don't really come through in the nose and that dirtiness that I picked up from the regular version is gone.

T: It starts off with some of the peat, salt, and malt shining through. There are also some chocolaty notes mixed with just a touch of funk. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems familiar. The finish is smooth with just a touch of heat at the very end. In fact, the peppers are almost non existent in this beer.

M: Full bodied beer. This beer coats the palate, hangs on, and finishes smooth. The barrels seem to have gotten rid of that chalky like feeling from the regular version.

O: If I didn't already know, I would never have guessed that this beer is the BA version of the Chipolte Porter. The heat from the chili peppers has diminished quite a bit, and the mouthfeel has smoothed out from the whiskey barrels. I this this beer is pretty good, but again, I won;t be seeking it out any time soon.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

A: 2 -3 fingers of foamy mocha colored head. Really nice lacing. Impenetrable raw umber.

S: Lots chocolate. Roasted barley. Vanilla. Spicy. Creamy.

T: Roasted malts, some dark chocolate. Don't really notice the peppers. Maybe hint of smoke? Not as great as I was hoping, but still nice.

M: Surprisingly, disappointingly thin. Almost watery. But faintly creamy.

O: I like it, I'm pretty sure, but the mouthfeel is so sad it makes me question that. Worth trying, but I won't seek out another.

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance – Very dark black; lets no light through at all. Thick head with excellent retention and lacing.

Smell – Dark cocoa, burnt oak, whiskey. I can’t smell chipotle; I smell something more like a cross between tomatoes and peppers.

Taste – Baking chocolate, whiskey, burnt oak, pepper and spice. I’m not tasting any chipotle.

Mouthfeel – Thick and creamy, low carbonation, and spicy.

Drinkability – A bit on the bitter side. The spiciness is mild. I might have preferred more chipotle flavor.

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass. No best before date.

A: A lush, dense, chocolate-coloured head erupts to two and a half fingers. The beer itself is black as coal. An auspicious beginning. Really great lacing.

S: Sweet, bitter, musty, spicy, roasted barley, vanilla, and just barely metallic. An interesting, but not obviously pleasant, melange. Creamy alcohol.

T/M: It's thin, quite thin, maybe too thin. That's my first impression. Then, trying to track down the flavours, I find all sorts of things -- fruit, slightly sour cream, roasted malts, a hint of chocolate dust. Very little heat from the peppers, but a wisp of smoke that probably doesn't come from Speyside. The barrel ageing is not pronounced, but may emerge in a sort of creamy mouthfeel. Very little actual whisky. At 6.6% I get the sense that this beer has been watered down or diluted; I'm not sure how I feel about that. Despite a promising uncapping, minimal carbonation.

O: I think I like it, but it's hard to say. The thinness is countered by the occasional creaminess and the flavours are interesting, even if the chili is distant. A worthy beer that's not worth the sticker price ($13). I would recommend one, but I wouldn't have another.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours pitch black with a dark tan head. Smell of nuts, coconut, sweet raisins, and dark fruit. Good carb, smooth and creamy. The barrel shines through but the whiskey is lacking. Not much of the chipotle in the beer anywhere but I'm sure it has subtly added to the beer overall. Interesting as always from Mikkeller and worth a try but not up my alley.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

375ml bottle.

This beer pours a solid oily black, with very shy caramel edges, and one fat finger of dense foamy milk chocolate brown head, which wicks away at due pace, leaving a rainforest treetop vista of lace around the glass.

It smells of sharp, chalky chocolate, bready caramel malt, and some spicy vegetal pepper notes. The taste is more clipped, dry cocoa, a subtle lactic sourness, that gets well overshadowed by a growing smoky pepper edge, which also dims any burgeoning hops that may have been. Lost mostly is the Speyside barrel influence, again, I blame those frisky chipotles.

The carbonation is fairly mild, but not without a purpose, the body an unsteady medium weight, showing some thin cracks at points, and the sticky heat makes it tough going for better marks at smoothness. It finishes quite dry - the chocolate and sneaky peppers in charge.

A pretty decent porter, if a bit light - but one that is well differentiated by the simmering pepper warmth. Good stuff.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12.7oz green bottle to CBS snifter. Enjoyed the regular TR, though it was pretty hot. Let's see this barreled version.

Pours just like the regular: Black, with a finger of bold chocolate colored head. Leaves nice spotted lacing. There's a big whiskey note initially, but there's an equally big chocolate and roast note that powers through this bold oaky, vanilla and alcohol laden nose. The peppers are super hard to get with all the other things going on. The aroma is almost too much straight whiskey, but toes the line. The taste is miles better! Gentle oak and vanilla, a hint of alcohol, BIG chocolate and roasted notes, with a milder peppery finish than the original...which I thoroughly enjoy; makes it much more drinkable. The feel has a nice full body to it, with a pleasant creaminess.

Despite the somewhat harsh nose, this is a beautiful brew.

This beer pours a medium bodied dark, dark brown on the verge of black in color with a beige lacing around the snifter. The aromas are pretty similar to the original version. You get the soft chocolates with ever so slight coffee with some barley there pepper and a hint of whiskey barrel. I enjoy scotch, but I can't tell that it's scotch from the nose. The flavors are smooth and more complex than the original. You get smooth chocolates with a little more upfront pepper than the regular with a smoky, perhaps peaty finish. It's pretty solid. The whiskey is a complementary flavor behind the chocolate and pepper. It's smoother than I remember the original too. It has a nice mouthfeel and is really an easy drinker. I'm a fan of this and I'm interested in trying the bourbon barrel version.

A: thin dark brown head on a jet black body with nice lacing.

S: scotch, oak, roasted malt, vanilla, sweet toffee and butter.

T: scotch and oak up front moving to chocolate, smokiness and mesquite flavors finishing with more scotch whiskey, vanilla and chiles. Nice transition between flavors.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation

Overall: this one was a lot more drinkable than I was expecting. nicely complex, a lot of flavors that mingle surprisingly well.

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

Half inch dark mocha head on a dark down body. Well above average head retention, nice lacing as well.

Cocoa and slight chipotle pepper heat in the nose

Not getting a lot of barrel notes, more of the peppers although not overwhelmingly so. Chocolate. Very drinkable.

Creamy mouthfeel. Low but adequate carbonation.

Overall I really liked this one a lot. Different enough to make me want to have it again but not off the wall tithe point where it's just confusing. Thanks TATURBO.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

A: The appearance is of espresso: very dark brown color with minimal head and lacing left behind. The viscosity is of used motor oil. This is so thick that if you tilt your glass it takes a good few seconds for the beer to make it's way back down the glass.

S: coffee, chocolate, chili peppers, slight alcohol and slight oakiness. Being that this was aged in Speyside Scotch Whiskey barrels, there is definite smoky aroma that compliments the alcohol smell.

T: smoke, chocolate, chili pepper, coffee flavor, with a semi-sweet finish that lingers mostly as a dark chocolate.

M: With just a moderate ABV for a barrel aged ale and for as thick as it is this was highly drinkable and would go well with a nice slab of red meat.

O: If you are looking for a dark beer with more complexity than your standard porter, you should definitely give this one a try.

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from 12.7 oz bottle into my Stone snifter.

A- Now this is what a beer should look like. Wow. Dark black liquid glugs into the glass and renders an amazing dark brown, creamy chocolate head. Substantial amount of lacing on the glass. 90% of imperial stouts dont look this good. Absolutely amazing.

S- Smells of smoked malts and dark chocolate. An abundance of earthy notes and bourbon barrel present on the nose. I pick up a little bit of chipotle pepper but not enough to call it a chipotle porter.

T- Front palate is void of sweetness, bitter bakers chocolate and earthy peat make themselves known immediately. Alot of smokiness. Mid palate actually has some sweetness to it and you get alot of milk chocolate and more whiskey barrel. Strangely enough, there is a brief moment when there is a bit of tartness. Kinda strange... On the back end, there is a lingering roasted malt and whiskey presence.

M- Thick, creamy, slick mouth feel. No real trace of abv.

O- Mikkeller usually catches alot of flak for overcharging for mediocre beers, but id say that this one is different. I like the barrel aged version of this better than the regular Texas Ranger for sure. I think that the time in the barrel dulled down some of the smokiness, and gave it alot more character. Overall, a great beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »