Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel Aged - Mikkeller ApS

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel AgedTexas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel Aged

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Porter |  6.60% ABV

A Porter brewed especially for Texas: water, malt (smoked, maris otter, cara-crystal, brown and chocolate), roasted barley, hops (zeus, Saaz and centennial), yeast and chipotle chili. Aged in Speyside whisky barrels.

(Beer added by: woosterbill on 11-29-2011)
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Doodler. Served in tulip. Thanks!

A: Opaque black, 1/2 inch cappucino head, sticks well to the glass.

N: A deep, deep breath of baker's chocolate. A little bit of smoke and some of the peppers. The honey and butterscotch of the Speyside show up slightly. This is mostly one dimensional chocolate, though.

T: Chocolate and espresso as par for the course. I get some smoke from the chilies I'm guessing here, as I've never noticed Speyside to be particularly smokey, at least if we're talking Aberlour or MaCallan and some research partially backs me up, but more to the point, I don't get a lot of whisky character out of this. In fact, if given this blind, I wouldn't have guessed Speyside, but there's enough oak/woodiness here to get at some barrel aged character. Additionally, the chipotle is here, but it's subdued until the beer warms. When it does arrive, it adds a slight acidity.

M: Coating and pretty much right on the mark for a porter. Neither too heavy or too light, and as such, I won't mark it down.

Overall: Drinks pretty well, and it has some good dimension. However, it's primarily a balanced pepper beer with some very minor whisky overtones. Nothing to complain about, and I would certainly have again. I'd be really interested to try this next to Black Butte XXIII.

Side note: For anyone who really cares, this pairs fantastically with Sriracha Rooster Sauce. In fact, I'd have to say if you can drink it with a burger or some Asian food slathered in Sriracha, you'll enjoy this beer quite a bit more.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Pours an extremely dark, completely opaque black with about one finger of creamy mocha colored head. The foam settles in a decent amount of time. There is some nice lacing as it drinks. It looks exactly like the regular Texas Ranger but with less head.

S: The barrel treatment on this beer is totally evident. Big notes of booze, earth, peat, salt, and malt. The chilies don't really come through in the nose and that dirtiness that I picked up from the regular version is gone.

T: It starts off with some of the peat, salt, and malt shining through. There are also some chocolaty notes mixed with just a touch of funk. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems familiar. The finish is smooth with just a touch of heat at the very end. In fact, the peppers are almost non existent in this beer.

M: Full bodied beer. This beer coats the palate, hangs on, and finishes smooth. The barrels seem to have gotten rid of that chalky like feeling from the regular version.

O: If I didn't already know, I would never have guessed that this beer is the BA version of the Chipolte Porter. The heat from the chili peppers has diminished quite a bit, and the mouthfeel has smoothed out from the whiskey barrels. I this this beer is pretty good, but again, I won;t be seeking it out any time soon.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Appearance – Very dark black; lets no light through at all. Thick head with excellent retention and lacing.

Smell – Dark cocoa, burnt oak, whiskey. I can’t smell chipotle; I smell something more like a cross between tomatoes and peppers.

Taste – Baking chocolate, whiskey, burnt oak, pepper and spice. I’m not tasting any chipotle.

Mouthfeel – Thick and creamy, low carbonation, and spicy.

Drinkability – A bit on the bitter side. The spiciness is mild. I might have preferred more chipotle flavor.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a 2finger mocha looking head. Decent retention and lacing.

S: Smells of oak and chipotle.

T: Chipolte oak up front, some whiskey and roasted malts in the middle with a bit of heat on at the end.

M: Medium to full body with medium carbonation.

O: Defiantly a interesting beer. Complex but to me it's missing the backbone. The underlying beer, a porter.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Poured into my Mikkeller Mugshot Tulip Glass.

Appearance: the Speyside barrel aged Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) is really dark; much more so than your standard porter and with a nice mocha colored head that settles into a thin wisp.

Smell: some spiciness in the nose (not over the top), smoked malt, chocolate malt, and a touch of scotch whiskey.

Taste: .. yeah this beer is definitely brewed with smoke dried jalapeno peppers. The chipotle chili doesn't bamboozle the palate, yet is easily detectable on all sides of the tongue. One the other hand, the Speyside barrel seems to be a little gun-shy. Oh well, maybe it's for the better. There's a nice roasty and chocolatey character to this beer, but it finishes bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel: perhaps a bit to thin. Though maybe I should cut it some slack because it is a porter after all (though it looks like an imperial stout).

Overall: a nice barrel aged porter to be sure, but for $13.49 a bottle I'm not sure it's worth buying again.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

A: 2 -3 fingers of foamy mocha colored head. Really nice lacing. Impenetrable raw umber.

S: Lots chocolate. Roasted barley. Vanilla. Spicy. Creamy.

T: Roasted malts, some dark chocolate. Don't really notice the peppers. Maybe hint of smoke? Not as great as I was hoping, but still nice.

M: Surprisingly, disappointingly thin. Almost watery. But faintly creamy.

O: I like it, I'm pretty sure, but the mouthfeel is so sad it makes me question that. Worth trying, but I won't seek out another.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass. No best before date.

A: A lush, dense, chocolate-coloured head erupts to two and a half fingers. The beer itself is black as coal. An auspicious beginning. Really great lacing.

S: Sweet, bitter, musty, spicy, roasted barley, vanilla, and just barely metallic. An interesting, but not obviously pleasant, melange. Creamy alcohol.

T/M: It's thin, quite thin, maybe too thin. That's my first impression. Then, trying to track down the flavours, I find all sorts of things -- fruit, slightly sour cream, roasted malts, a hint of chocolate dust. Very little heat from the peppers, but a wisp of smoke that probably doesn't come from Speyside. The barrel ageing is not pronounced, but may emerge in a sort of creamy mouthfeel. Very little actual whisky. At 6.6% I get the sense that this beer has been watered down or diluted; I'm not sure how I feel about that. Despite a promising uncapping, minimal carbonation.

O: I think I like it, but it's hard to say. The thinness is countered by the occasional creaminess and the flavours are interesting, even if the chili is distant. A worthy beer that's not worth the sticker price ($13). I would recommend one, but I wouldn't have another.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

375ml bottle.

This beer pours a solid oily black, with very shy caramel edges, and one fat finger of dense foamy milk chocolate brown head, which wicks away at due pace, leaving a rainforest treetop vista of lace around the glass.

It smells of sharp, chalky chocolate, bready caramel malt, and some spicy vegetal pepper notes. The taste is more clipped, dry cocoa, a subtle lactic sourness, that gets well overshadowed by a growing smoky pepper edge, which also dims any burgeoning hops that may have been. Lost mostly is the Speyside barrel influence, again, I blame those frisky chipotles.

The carbonation is fairly mild, but not without a purpose, the body an unsteady medium weight, showing some thin cracks at points, and the sticky heat makes it tough going for better marks at smoothness. It finishes quite dry - the chocolate and sneaky peppers in charge.

A pretty decent porter, if a bit light - but one that is well differentiated by the simmering pepper warmth. Good stuff.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Pours pitch black with a dark tan head. Smell of nuts, coconut, sweet raisins, and dark fruit. Good carb, smooth and creamy. The barrel shines through but the whiskey is lacking. Not much of the chipotle in the beer anywhere but I'm sure it has subtly added to the beer overall. Interesting as always from Mikkeller and worth a try but not up my alley.

This beer pours a medium bodied dark, dark brown on the verge of black in color with a beige lacing around the snifter. The aromas are pretty similar to the original version. You get the soft chocolates with ever so slight coffee with some barley there pepper and a hint of whiskey barrel. I enjoy scotch, but I can't tell that it's scotch from the nose. The flavors are smooth and more complex than the original. You get smooth chocolates with a little more upfront pepper than the regular with a smoky, perhaps peaty finish. It's pretty solid. The whiskey is a complementary flavor behind the chocolate and pepper. It's smoother than I remember the original too. It has a nice mouthfeel and is really an easy drinker. I'm a fan of this and I'm interested in trying the bourbon barrel version.

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) - Speyside Barrel Aged from Mikkeller ApS