Hoppy Lovin' Christmas - Mikkeller ApS

Hoppy Lovin' ChristmasHoppy Lovin' Christmas

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

(Beer added by: ADZA on 11-29-2011)

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Took a shot in the dark on this. I hadn't heard of it before. I bought it in Carry Out Off Licence, Carlow, Ireland. Expensive here, but most beers are! 4.55€

Smooth and balanced mouthfeel, just right. A decent amount of citrus hop bitterness balanced well with the plum sweetess. Almost tastes like homemade lemonade, only tons better! Aftertaste is sweet plum with a subtle and balanced bitterness.

The packaging, although fun and Christmassy, is not to my taste, but for me it's all about the beer, which is fantastic.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep, slightly cloudy gold into my Unibroue tulip. A nice fluffy white head dissipates slowly, leaving great lacing.

Smell: The nose is big, classic Pacific Northwest hops all the way – a perfect balance of pine and grapefruit.

Taste: Wow; I continue to be amazed by his beers. The hops from the nose continue, but they’re not overly bitter and in almost perfect balance with a strong yet unobtrusive malt backbone. As it warms up, the advertised ginger sneaks in towards the end, adding a spicy twist.

Mouthfeel: It’s a medium-bodied beer, but the best word to describe it in the mouth is “clean”. The finish is just about perfect.

Drinkability: Extremely high; it is a damn shame that there will be such a limited supply in the U.S.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Solid gold body crowned with a thick, rocky, creamy white head; lots of sticky lacing on the glass. Finely balanced malt and hop aroma; caramel, biscuit; sourdough toast, honey; lemon. Smooth caramel and soft, roasted malt flavors with a great hop bitterness from the middle to finish. Smooth, creamy texture; medium-body; semi-dry finish.

A well-rounded, very fine IIPA. Malt and hops work well together and keep the alcohol presence well-hidden in the background.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. No freshness date.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 3/4 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing trickles slowly down the glass leaving a thick jagged ring behind.

S- Absolutely heavenly aroma of pine, hops, candy and citrus. Smells like juicy fruit gum combined with a christmas tree candle. Nearly flawless.

T- The flavor is a bit more traditional with the pine being very apparent and the hops giving a moderate grassy bitterness. All is well-balanced and smooth for the ABV but doesn't come close to the magic of the aroma. By the way, not detecting any ginger anywhere though the label claims it's an ingredient.

M- Slightly sharp and oily from the hops and pine. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- I just can't get over how lovely the aroma of this beer is. That, along with all the other great attributes of this Mikkeller makes for a home run.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 PT 9.4 FL OZ bottle into a pint glass. No discernible bottled on/best by date although plain white bottle cap has printed number 8901209. INDIA PALE ALE BREWED WITH GINGER AND PINE NEEDLES.

Appearance: Pours a pilsneresque golden body with a HUGE soap bubble doughy head. This one almost bubbled over. Ever so slightly cloudy. Consistent carbonation. Great lacing.

Smell: Immediate pine and hoppy aroma upon popping the bottle cap. Smells very fresh, but the pine aroma dominates. Is this coming from the standard DIPA hop dosage or the pine needles? I have yet to detect any ginger in the aroma.

Taste: Not as piney as the aroma would suggest. Still no ginger as far as I can tell. It tastes great, I'm just having a hard time identifying specific flavors as the mouthfeel is a little wacky. Wait, I do get some pine needle flavor and bready pale malts as this warms up little by little. Reminds me a bit of Dogfish Head brews that tend toward the experimental with experimental ingredients. Drinkability is great though for a 7.8% ABV beer. I always love me a pale ale or pale lager that drinks easy.

Mouthfeel: This is the only area where this beer falls down for me. Way too carbonated, almost soda-like, which masks a lot of the flavor in my opinion. Some increase in temperature and aeration helps out a lot. The other issue is an initial slight medicinal aftertaste.

Overall: Overall I really like this and I am so happy to have tried this. I received this 750ml as a gift for Christmas. I have read a fair amount here and there about Mikkeller and what fascinates is both the fact that this is a gypsy brewer, but also a foreign (specifically European) brewer that is making great American-style craft and experimental beers. My only other direct experience with gypsy brewing is having bought some Stillwater 750ml bottles as gifts for others, obviously a more "local" brewer however. As I final note as I put away the second half of this bottle, I recently reviewed my 110 or so BA beer reviews and the top 10+ or so are all pale ales and pale lagers. Give me bready malts and plenty of hops or give me death!

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Ah, Christmas morning....

Poured out of a 750 ml bottle into my new CBS snifter.

A) A light amber that is fairly cloudy. A massive white foamy head greets me like a beer commercial. Great retention and a crazy amount of sticky lacing. There is a dense foam island in the middle of my snifter.

S) Nice malt presence to go along with a predominantly piney and white grapefruit nose. The aroma was quite nice.

T) Nicely balanced... This is not too bitter and not too sweet. It tastes of grapefruit with a light dusting of sugar. There is some evegreen/juniper to this brew. A little bit of orange rind on the finish.

M) A medium body with about the same from a carbonation standpoint. This is pretty darn smooth and easy drinking. There is a slight tingle, which is perhaps the pine needle and ginger.

O) I though this was pretty much fantastic. I'm sorry I just had one bottle. I would highly recommend this brew. Merry Christmas....

Hoppy Lovin' Christmas from Mikkeller ApS