Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados EditionBeer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

(Beer added by: ZombiesAteMyDog on 04-26-2012)
Reviews by BrownNut:
BrownNut

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle to tulip, served nearly room temp.

A - 4.0 - Black, with a smallish tan head of nice creamy texture that dissipates moderately quickly down to a stable cap. Gross little white blobs in the bottom of the glass rob this of a quarter point.

S - 4.5 - Smells great, not at all what I was expecting. Was expecting more coffee. Instead there's a lovely sweetness and a dry woody maltiness.

T - 4.75 - What an interesting mix of flavors, layers, and sensations. There's a sweet malty buttery roundness at the base of it, which certainly has a substantial chocolate note, but a very mature one. Then there's something lighter above that that's sort of just the carrier for the chocolate sweetness but isn't itself all that sweet. It's subtle and tasty and I think must be the purportedly mild coffee making itself known.

Mixed in is a maltiness of a sort I'm not sure I've had before, but which is really delicious.

Meanwhile there's a substantial dryness and a tartness warring above the sweet round level. It's dry on one level almost instantly upon getting into the mouth, whereas that usually leans closer to the aftertaste, while downstairs from there is the very mellow, mild and smooth roundness. But then towards the aftertaste, that dryness is accompanied by a nice boozy note that brings on warm fumes after swallowing. I'll take 11% in something like this any day of the week.

The aftertaste is at once sweet and dry, with a faint hint of the barrel spirit.

M - 4.5 - The taste and the mouthfeel are more difficult to tease apart in this one than in many because they seem to blend together. There is a rich, silken smoothness to the sweet note almost suspended in a lighter, waterier vehicle that I'll guess comes from the coffee. This is so interesting in the mouth.

O - 4.75 - Wow, this is so impressive and so delightfully complex. I bought it as a sort of novelty since I'm not usually big on deliberately coffeed-up beers, but what a surprise. This is gourmet stuff. It's artful. This is one of the most interesting beers I've had, which is exactly what I'm searching for. I'm trying to think how I'd improve it, and I'm thinking maybe a bit more char to stiffen up its body along with a bit more assertive coffee, both to really blast me up a notch, but then the gentle mellow roundness of one of its layers might not get to show its subtle self as I believe it was intended based on what I've read about this coffee. Really great as is. Plus I think this is about 9 months old now, so it might have been stiffer up front. I like it like this though. I have to find more.

01-10-2013 04:19:27 | More by BrownNut

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

06-03-2012 17:10:23 | More by xdefeatsy
Blackwolf

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a small 8.5 oz bottle into a tulip.

A- Poured a very dark body with a copper/mocha head that held little retention. A saturn ring hugged the sides of the glass with slippery lacing. Decent separation.

S- The Calvados barrel aroma is strong on the nose. A "cognac" alcohol ethanol up front with the barrel comes to play with the roasted coffee. Some bitter cocoa, and warm apple/pear with spiced sugar.

T- Very different from the nose. Lots of transition of coffee from start to finish. A roasted/slightly burnt malt and slightly toasted coffee up front, dark fruit and dark cocoa, molasses and again a bitter strong black coffee finish bringing out dryness and the alcohol. Very boozy. You would expect more "oaky/wood chipped" flavor from the barrel on the nose, but it is a surprising turn of taste and very unique to the style.

MF- Full bodied! Light carbonation... Semi-sticky. Also warming as this gem opens up more. Not as aggressive as I was anticipating, but some more carb bite and a slicker body would be a bit more up my alley on this beer.

O- Don't expect to find this at a "cheap" price anywhere. This is very much a quality beer, and for the Imperial stout style, this is only a buy you could appreciate for what it is. If you are a huge fan of the style, go for it. Regardless of the pretty penny I spent on the weasel, it was still worth it!

10-12-2012 04:39:06 | More by Blackwolf
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from the 8.5 ounce bottle into a snifter. Just realized this beer cost me about $2 an ounce. Yikes.

Pours thick and viscous from the bottle, but produces very little head. What head is there is more lace-like and light espresso in color. The liquid is pitch black and opaque.

As I poured the beer, I got some of the aroma, particularly an oakiness and sherry. From the glass, these still figure prominently. There are some sweet malt aromas, dark roasted malt, and dark chocolate present too, but I don't detect any coffee. There's a booziness on the nose that informs me I'm in for a big beer. Wait, a sec, there's a faint sweet coffee aroma.

Oh my, how did all that coffee go undetected on the nose? I get lots of coffee with my first taste, like a mellow cold-brew, followed by oak, sherry, and even some whisky notes. Despite the sherry and whisky, this beer actually drinks very smoothly, has a pleasant, creamy, viscous feel to it, and almost no heat. The finish provides a nice lingering baker's chocolate too, which I'm a sucker for.

I must say I like this beer quite a bit, but it's one-timer at the price I paid. For all its uniqueness, I'm still more inclined to find something similar at a fraction of the price.

03-07-2014 03:37:10 | More by ONovoMexicano
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

250ml bottle. The weasel and apple depiction on the label is just not as amusing as Hop City's Barking Squirrel squirrel.

This beer pours a deep black abyss of 'colour', with very, very slight basal cola highlights and one finger of tightly foamy, somewhat bubbly dark milk chocolate head, which leaves a few limestone arches of drooping lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of sweet, pungent, toasted caramel/toffee malt, treacle, dry coffee bean-tinted chocolate, mild anise, musty apples, a bit of oaken vanilla, and some simmering herbal liqueur. The taste is more sweet caramel malt, with strong molasses and hardwater taffy aspects, softly smooth cafe mocha, long-opened black licorice strings, weighty apple brandy - with the subtle woodiness and attendant fruitiness - and some quite restrained earthy, somewhat dusty hops. Only a wisp of alcohol warming makes itself known at this juncture.

The carbonation is pretty much passed out on the couch, the body a sturdy, but still nimble medium-heavy weight, and generally rather smooth, the underpinned booze maybe picking at the tongue just a wee bit. It finishes sweet, the multi-pronged malt density hardly abating at all, but at the same having to contend with a rising prickliness, some of it hop-based, I suppose, but more in the vein of burgeoning booze, both that from the blended barrel notes and the veritable, near 22-proof ABV.

A pretty enjoyable, if necessarily sipping bevy, the hipster coffee and Calvados essences applied with a gentle daub, rather than a funnel. Perfect serving size, as the complex sweetness does get a bit slavish after a while, which in no way should detract from my recommendation to at least try this particular iteration of the Beer Geek Brunch.

01-17-2013 02:45:04 | More by biboergosum

ipc2000

12-31-2012 03:34:50 | More by ipc2000
SpeedwayJim

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

8oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Frothy dark mocha head with decent retention. Beer is thick, viscous black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with ok stick. Huge legs. Solid.

Nose is big and bold. Liquorice, barrel, roasted malt, and chocolate. Strong booziness. The usually apparent kopi coffee is distinctly missing. Not as good as the original.

Opens chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and fudge. Booziness in the middle with a lot of sweetness towards the end. Hot. Molasses. Finishes coffee and cocoa. Good but the barrel presence is too strong that it covers a lot of the complexity here.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Thick and oily in the mouth and hot going down. Messy finish with a long, sticky aftertaste. Great for the style.

This is a solid beer but it goes to show that not everything improves in barrels. A lot of the kopi presence in the original is covered here and the complexity is really lost in the booziness. Still a decent offering, but not close to the non-BA version.

06-25-2012 01:24:31 | More by SpeedwayJim
hiphopj5

Colorado

4.75/5  rDev +12%

07-09-2012 15:55:54 | More by hiphopj5
sbrotschul

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A small bottle (8.5oz), a high price and a brilliant aroma is backed up by a diverse series of tastes and experiences while tasting this complex beer. I'm unsure if I would buy more, but it was worth the price for a taste. The Weasel isn't for an every-day situation, nor is it for the light hearted: it is a kick-in-the-tail shot of coffee, brandy apples, caramel and creativity.

Appearance (4.5). The appearance is dark, dark, dark. I've seen motor oil look lighter after being in a car for 30K+ miles.. Made my snifter look spooky, like the moonless sky (right now: I'm not kidding. It is about to storm again). Its personal: I like the dark coffee roasts. No real head after the initial pour, no lacing.

Smell (5.0). The smell takes over your nose and throat. Slight burning from the alcohol and the barrel, roast coffee and chocolate. Hints of sweet apple. God bless Normandy -- they can do brandy right.

Taste (4.5). Boozy taste, with all of the flavors you can smell. And, there's always the bacon or sausage undertones which makes this beer want to feel as if we should have it with steak and eggs.

Mouthfeel (3.5). A thick mouthfeel. Full. No carbination. The booze doesn't burn, but at 10.5%, it's there.

Overall (4.5). Another great barrel aged beer by Mikkeller. Encore! (And: bigger bottles -- I couldn't/wouldn't/won't share this one ... so I purchased a bottle for my brother.)

09-30-2012 21:31:20 | More by sbrotschul

Treyliff

West Virginia

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Review #150.

Reviewed at The Avenue Pub, New Orleans. Served in a snifter.

A- pours pitch black with no light creeping through, a small tan creamy head that quickly reduces to a small layer with no lace.

S- smoky malt, coffee, melted dark chocolate, dried fig, brown sugar, Just a bit of earthy woody notes from the barrel.

T- Dark fruits, booze, chocolate, tobacco, molasses, licorice, burnt toasty malt, sweet dark dried cherries, coffee and earthy oak. Very complex.

M- light carbonation, medium-heavy body, super creamy and velvety mouthfeel.

O- Big and bold, hi lighted by dark fruits, chocolate and coffee. The only thing that kept me from grading the taste a 5 was the booze. Although considering the ABV, it's hidden pretty well. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would drink again if I ever had the chance.

09-03-2012 16:36:08 | More by Treyliff
CruisaC

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Picked this up a few months back. Have to say I was a smidge irked at the cost per ounce factor with this one. I'm trying to remember how many Mikkeler beers I've actually purchased---not many.

Pours standard stout ish with a mocha head. Nice coating of the glass.

Smell is really....unique. Some worchestshire/soy, some coffee, raisin, and oak barrel. Not sure what I think of this.

Hmmm. Unfortunately I'm getting more of the savory aspects off the aroma--not a good thing. Could I have an off bottle? Can't imagine this being a mainstream flavor. Some coffee sneaking in towards the end but the sweetness for the barrel im not getting.

A little carbonation forward for my preference.

Meh, I'm not loving this. I feel like I could have been a little more harsh as well, just not my thing.

03-14-2013 00:46:11 | More by CruisaC
bkonk10

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

05-22-2013 01:47:12 | More by bkonk10
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Reviewing a beer before 9am? I must be in Vegas!

Appearance. Pours black with just a skim of bubbly, creamy coffee coulured head that rises up from the depths of a Bellagio wine glass.

Smell. Dark roasty malts, a brandy-conac boozyness, dark bitter chocolate and some cold espresso.

Taste. Dark bitter unsweetened chocolate, tannic wood, roasty dark malts and brandy.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, seems a bit thin for the taste coming through, low carbonation, some soothing warmth.

Overall. Nice big stout with a complementary amount of warm brandy boozyness.

11-11-2012 16:43:02 | More by Rutager
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle to brandy snifter.

A - Dark black. Half a finger of brown head formed and reduced to a ring around the glass.

S - A big mix of coffee and roasted malts in the nose. Not much of the barrel comes through at all.

T - Very boozy up front. Roasted malts and coffee are dominant with some lighter char and oak flavours present as well. A very light apple flavour in the background that you almost have to search for to find.

M - Full body. Light to modoerate carbonation.

08-03-2012 12:52:19 | More by TheSevenDuffs
jaydoc

Kansas

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

09-01-2013 15:59:14 | More by jaydoc
smakawhat

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, Thanks ED!

There is a lot of red hue and opacity to this body. Classic dark brown to black walnut body with red shimmers, gives a tan whispy collar and top throughout, looks impressive and foreboding.

On first whiff is a distinct brandy sense. Mild sense of coffee, and a classic light crisp fruit apple almost tart. Biggest surprise, there's even a hint of black pepper. Really fascinating.

Seems like all systems go for greatness on taste. Huge ridiculous charing malts on this, with big roast character. Roast turns into the palate of burnt ashes and wood. Lightly carbonated but very wet bodied and weak feel, not accentuating the nose notes very much if at all. Finish brings a very weak whiskey quality (say 80 proof).

Overall thought it's still an impressive brew mostly because of the great nose, but the texture just isn't there to make this a real home run.

05-12-2012 02:26:14 | More by smakawhat
Greywulfken

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

A: oily black, not much head, a quick swirl will stir up a pinky-thick deep tan foam

S: first smell to hit me was apples, secondary notes come forward like chocolate malt and espresso, and then I couldn't smell the apple anymore. Lastly, earthy, dank aromas

T: mellow, smooth espresso and dark malt flavors, cleanly bittered, mildly sweet, brighter hints of a woodsiness - like cedar or oak

M: creamy, rich, smooth, dry finishing with just a touch of tip-of-the-tongue tartness and then its gone...

O: as I'm about to leave, my beer guy says, "oh, yeah, we got something else in you might be interested in," and pulls this tiny bottle from a small unmarked box behind the counter, nestled amid random clutter. "Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch, Calvados Barrel Edition." I take one, momentarily terrified when I see the price (like, $14 for an 8 oz bottle).
Norwegian brewers have made a stout that contains coffee brewed from beans extracted from civet shit (ca phe chon in Vietnamese, a.k.a, kopi luwak) and aged in Calvados barrels (apple brandy brewed in Lower Normandy). This unlikely confluence of influences has yielded an amazing stout. If you don't mind the price, and you like stouts, civet shit, apple brandy, or Norwegians, then make sure to get one while they're around. I have a feeling this is a beer you're going to be lucky to find.

Revisited 11/16/12
So, a 6-mos (at least) aged bottle (no bottling date shown). Toned down review somewhat. I may have been more into the idea of the beer that it biased me, or maybe I've just come to appreciate stouts differently. Drank it at - I dunno - 55F? - it wasn't room temp, but it was close - in a tulip/flute hybrid looking glass. Picked up some astringence after 6 mos aging; the softer flavors were not as prominent - I found there to be less chocolate and more sharp wood-notes. Still a good beer, but it took on a thinner-feeling, more solventy character with less lushness of flavor and aroma than I remembered when I had it initially.

05-09-2012 00:31:54 | More by Greywulfken