Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados EditionBeer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ZombiesAteMyDog on 04-26-2012

8.5 oz. bottle poured into snifter.

A - Jet black, thin mocha head, nice moderate lacing.

S - Wood, cocoa, oats, candi apples, black malts, almonds, light alcohol fumes of brandy.

T - Super complex! Starts with oatmeal, almonds, appleskin, pears, light alcohol; middle is dominated by cocoa powder and dark bitter chocolate; finishes with coffee beans, burnt sugar, black malts, oak.

M- Smooth, full bodied, low carbonation, alcohol and oak linger on your tongue.

O - Impressed, as usual! I love Mikkeller!

Thanks France 44! (530 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a stout glass.

- Appearance was jet black. I poured aggressive and got a two finger brown head. The head had a bit of a reddish tint to it.

- The smell on this beer was incredible, the Calvados (apple, brandy) was apparent, roasted malts, oak, coffee. The complexity of the scent was really nice.

- There were a lot of flavors I got from this, apples, roasted malts and coffee up front. More roasted malts and nuts in the mid. The finish was crazy, a bit of cocoa, oak, brandy, and slight tobacco. Seems like a lot going on but worked great.

-If there could be any improvement to this beer I wish it was a little heavier on the mouthfeel. The mouthfeel was heavy and smooth but I felt with all the flavors going on it could stand to be even heavier.

Overall this is one of my favorite Mikkellers and one of the best beers I've ever had. It is expensive and hard to find but if your a fan of Mikkeller or very complex flavor profiles this is one to seek out. (974 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

8.5 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter. No bottled on date.

Appearance: Black with a thin light brown head. Head dissipates quickly into a thin lacing.

Smell: Apple brandy, oak notes, coffee, chocolate, and underlying tones of caramel. Deep, complex, and very smooth. The smoothness of the aroma is extremely impressive. Normally I think of that as a mouthfeel descriptor, but this beer smells...velvety. Coffee is pretty mild in the aroma but definitely present and integrated wonderfully into the rest of the nose.

Taste: Yep, that's pretty damn awesome. Oak and brandy lead the charge, with the coffee coming in next (definitely more intense than it was in the aroma), followed by rich dark chocolate and roasted malt, which is accentuated by some more charred oak. Bittersweet finish. Every bit as complex and delicious as the smell would suggest, and then some. There is a noticeable alcohol heat on the finish and an ever-so-slightly harsh acidity (probably from the coffee?), but those are very minor complaints (and the only reasons this doesn't get a 5 for taste).

Mouthfeel: Thick, rich, and velvety, with a light touch of carbonation. Excellent. Coats the palate with brandy/coffee deliciousness as you swallow it.

Overall: I had the cognac-barrel aged version a while back (well before I was reviewing beers on BA), and I remember it as one of the best beers I ever had. I expected this to fall far short of my memories, but it stood up to the challenge. An absolutely phenomenal beer in every respect (1,525 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (Calvados Cask) | 375 ml. | 10.9% ABV | 2012 vintage

Brewer: Mikkeller
Style: Imperial Stout (coffee)
Glass: tulip

Appearance: (4.5 / 5.0)
Silky black body; thick, with a mocha crown.

Aroma: (4.5 / 5.0)
Intense notes of coffee, cocoa, and malted barley.

Taste: (4.8 / 5.0)
Profound dark chocolate and roasted malt notes at the outset, offset by a twinge of hops. Finishes strong with a blast of coffee, dwindling into an aftertaste reminiscent of Calvados.

Mouthfeel: (4.2 / 5.0)
Velvety smooth and supple. Don't expect much carbonation (and that's ok).

Harmony: (5.0 / 5.0)
The predominant flavors (dark chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee) are meant for each other. But what brings this one home are the minor notes of Calvados. Much like the cask editions of J.W. Lees Harvest Ale, this brew benefits from time in the barrel.

Would I get it again?: Yep.

Bottled: 2012
Served: 01/19/2013

Price = $26 at the Blind Tiger Ale House (NYC) (980 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle to tulip, served nearly room temp.

A - 4.0 - Black, with a smallish tan head of nice creamy texture that dissipates moderately quickly down to a stable cap. Gross little white blobs in the bottom of the glass rob this of a quarter point.

S - 4.5 - Smells great, not at all what I was expecting. Was expecting more coffee. Instead there's a lovely sweetness and a dry woody maltiness.

T - 4.75 - What an interesting mix of flavors, layers, and sensations. There's a sweet malty buttery roundness at the base of it, which certainly has a substantial chocolate note, but a very mature one. Then there's something lighter above that that's sort of just the carrier for the chocolate sweetness but isn't itself all that sweet. It's subtle and tasty and I think must be the purportedly mild coffee making itself known.

Mixed in is a maltiness of a sort I'm not sure I've had before, but which is really delicious.

Meanwhile there's a substantial dryness and a tartness warring above the sweet round level. It's dry on one level almost instantly upon getting into the mouth, whereas that usually leans closer to the aftertaste, while downstairs from there is the very mellow, mild and smooth roundness. But then towards the aftertaste, that dryness is accompanied by a nice boozy note that brings on warm fumes after swallowing. I'll take 11% in something like this any day of the week.

The aftertaste is at once sweet and dry, with a faint hint of the barrel spirit.

M - 4.5 - The taste and the mouthfeel are more difficult to tease apart in this one than in many because they seem to blend together. There is a rich, silken smoothness to the sweet note almost suspended in a lighter, waterier vehicle that I'll guess comes from the coffee. This is so interesting in the mouth.

O - 4.75 - Wow, this is so impressive and so delightfully complex. I bought it as a sort of novelty since I'm not usually big on deliberately coffeed-up beers, but what a surprise. This is gourmet stuff. It's artful. This is one of the most interesting beers I've had, which is exactly what I'm searching for. I'm trying to think how I'd improve it, and I'm thinking maybe a bit more char to stiffen up its body along with a bit more assertive coffee, both to really blast me up a notch, but then the gentle mellow roundness of one of its layers might not get to show its subtle self as I believe it was intended based on what I've read about this coffee. Really great as is. Plus I think this is about 9 months old now, so it might have been stiffer up front. I like it like this though. I have to find more. (2,599 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 8.5oz bottle into a large snifter.

A: Pours near pitch black with a tiny dark mocha colored head. Very minor retention and lacing are present.

S: Smells of roasted malts and brandy. A tiny hint of oak and maybe coffee and vanilla.

T: Much stronger than the nose. On the tongue you're hit with some vanilla sweetness then comes the coffee and finishes with the brandy. You get a long aftertaste were all flavors are present.

M: Full body, plenty of carbonation.

O: Downright superb. It really does sneak up on you and takes you for quite the ride. The flavors last and the brandy is not overpowering. Excellent BA Stout. (638 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A- poured into a tulip, a moderately agressive pour leaves less than a centimeter of khaki head ontop of a very silky black beer. as the bubble burst along the edge of the glass, the legs of this beer begin to dance. gorgeous.

S- rich dark fruit aromas meet the nose. Along with a very sweet coffee smell. Chocolate and dark malts are also in there as well. No sign of the apple brandy, though.

T- here we go. this is complex; dark malts, chocolate, figs, and coffee all are there. I get the barrels in the taste, which only add that much ore complexity to this already amazing beer.

M- silk. just the right amount of carbonation (low) and a slight oiliness from the barrels.

O- if this was cheaper i would drink it every day. But at about $2/oz, this is usually way out of my price range. An exellent beer to treat yourself too if you want to taste the finest weasel shit in the world! (890 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A small bottle (8.5oz), a high price and a brilliant aroma is backed up by a diverse series of tastes and experiences while tasting this complex beer. I'm unsure if I would buy more, but it was worth the price for a taste. The Weasel isn't for an every-day situation, nor is it for the light hearted: it is a kick-in-the-tail shot of coffee, brandy apples, caramel and creativity.

Appearance (4.5). The appearance is dark, dark, dark. I've seen motor oil look lighter after being in a car for 30K+ miles.. Made my snifter look spooky, like the moonless sky (right now: I'm not kidding. It is about to storm again). Its personal: I like the dark coffee roasts. No real head after the initial pour, no lacing.

Smell (5.0). The smell takes over your nose and throat. Slight burning from the alcohol and the barrel, roast coffee and chocolate. Hints of sweet apple. God bless Normandy -- they can do brandy right.

Taste (4.5). Boozy taste, with all of the flavors you can smell. And, there's always the bacon or sausage undertones which makes this beer want to feel as if we should have it with steak and eggs.

Mouthfeel (3.5). A thick mouthfeel. Full. No carbination. The booze doesn't burn, but at 10.5%, it's there.

Overall (4.5). Another great barrel aged beer by Mikkeller. Encore! (And: bigger bottles -- I couldn't/wouldn't/won't share this one ... so I purchased a bottle for my brother.) (1,398 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Served from bottle into a tulip glass

A - Pours tar black with medium carbonation

S - Molasses, plums, raisins, dark chocolate dark sugars and creamy espresso.

T - Rich and full flavors of chocolate espresso, brown sugar, milk sweetness and toffee

M - Very creamy. Lots of warming alcohol. Light and crisp carbonation with a bitter, dry, alcoholic finish. Coffee flavor lingers on the tongue.

O - Absolutely delicious! Like nothing I have ever had before. Perfect balance of flavor. Just reminds me of drinking coffee and cream. Excellent stout that would be perfect on a rainy or cold day. (595 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by Darrell. Very excited about this one, as I am a huge fan of the base beer.

The beer is very dark brown, nearing black, with a thick beige head that lingers for several minutes before settling as a viscous, oily, 1/4" layer of head atop the beer.

The aroma offers barrels, coffee, roast, oak, light booze. Fantastic.

The flavor does not disappoint. Excellent. Well balanced. Plenty of roast and barrel character. Delicious.

Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Palate coating.

A superb offering from Mikkeller. I definitely recommend this outstanding brew. (589 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Another beer from Mikkeller!

Pours out pitch black with a small, mocha/tan head that dissipates quickly.

The aroma has a lot of coffee, dark chocolate, burnt malt and a decent amount of apple.

The taste is dominated by dark chocolate, coffee and burnt malt, but there are subtle amounts of vanilla in there and oak notes. The apple flavor comes in during the middle and really brightens the beer up and there are sweeter toffee and caramel notes that smooth the beer out.

This is full bodied, rich and creamy with a decent amount of bitterness. There is no alcohol smell, but there is a definite burn going down.

I really, really enjoyed this beer, but for a 8.5oz bottle at $14 it's a bit too high of a price for me to revisit. If it wasn't as expensive I would buy this again. (788 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This already great beer genuinely takes on interesting new qualities from the Calvados barrel. The flat, sharp taste that lays over the beer like a translucent scrim is lovely and though I say 'sharp' it's well woven into the thin--but never syrupy--BGBW coffee taste. Great stuff. (281 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

this is an amazing beer. about 16 dollars for an 8.5oz bottle is a bit cost prohibitive, but i had to try this one. pours s motor oil textured burnt brown color with a cool whip-like head the color of almonds. smells like alcohol, espresso, and warm apple cider. taste is outrageously complex, with notes of chocolate, strong coffee, fermented apples, wood, spice, vanilla, and tobacco. one after the next they all layer on eachother. finish is remarkable as well, the booze just sneaks its way to the fore, carrying the last vestiges of the fruit and coffee flavors, a touch spicy, very strong. mouthfeel is perfect. nothing to complain about here. mellow carbonation, fullest body, but velvety smooth and improving constantly as it warms up to room temperature. i highly recommend this brew if you can find it and have a 20 in you your pocket. i am not totally excited about mikkeller beers and am keen to try my next one. this is a gem here, a true beauty. (959 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #150.

Reviewed at The Avenue Pub, New Orleans. Served in a snifter.

A- pours pitch black with no light creeping through, a small tan creamy head that quickly reduces to a small layer with no lace.

S- smoky malt, coffee, melted dark chocolate, dried fig, brown sugar, Just a bit of earthy woody notes from the barrel.

T- Dark fruits, booze, chocolate, tobacco, molasses, licorice, burnt toasty malt, sweet dark dried cherries, coffee and earthy oak. Very complex.

M- light carbonation, medium-heavy body, super creamy and velvety mouthfeel.

O- Big and bold, hi lighted by dark fruits, chocolate and coffee. The only thing that kept me from grading the taste a 5 was the booze. Although considering the ABV, it's hidden pretty well. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would drink again if I ever had the chance.

Opening a second bottle, now 3 years old for comparison.

Pours motor oil thick with a few floaties creeping out of the bottle. The aroma is much more dark fruit forward, with the calvados aroma seeming a lot bolder as well. It actually smells more like a fine brandy with the alcohol mellowing out as well. Taste- the smoky malts have mellowed out, developing into dark rich chocolate. There's some dark brandy flavors mixing with some oak poking through, along with some apple skin. The coffee has faded but is certainly still present. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with low carbonation, slightly chalky finish. Review on 3 year old bottle- 4.25-4.5-4.75-4.5-4.5 (1,503 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

A: oily black, not much head, a quick swirl will stir up a pinky-thick deep tan foam

S: first smell to hit me was apples, secondary notes come forward like chocolate malt and espresso, and then I couldn't smell the apple anymore. Lastly, earthy, dank aromas

T: mellow, smooth espresso and dark malt flavors, cleanly bittered, mildly sweet, brighter hints of a woodsiness - like cedar or oak

M: creamy, rich, smooth, dry finishing with just a touch of tip-of-the-tongue tartness and then its gone...

O: as I'm about to leave, my beer guy says, "oh, yeah, we got something else in you might be interested in," and pulls this tiny bottle from a small unmarked box behind the counter, nestled amid random clutter. "Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch, Calvados Barrel Edition." I take one, momentarily terrified when I see the price (like, $14 for an 8 oz bottle).
Norwegian brewers have made a stout that contains coffee brewed from beans extracted from civet shit (ca phe chon in Vietnamese, a.k.a, kopi luwak) and aged in Calvados barrels (apple brandy brewed in Lower Normandy). This unlikely confluence of influences has yielded an amazing stout. If you don't mind the price, and you like stouts, civet shit, apple brandy, or Norwegians, then make sure to get one while they're around. I have a feeling this is a beer you're going to be lucky to find.

Revisited 11/16/12
So, a 6-mos (at least) aged bottle (no bottling date shown). Toned down review somewhat. I may have been more into the idea of the beer that it biased me, or maybe I've just come to appreciate stouts differently. Drank it at - I dunno - 55F? - it wasn't room temp, but it was close - in a tulip/flute hybrid looking glass. Picked up some astringence after 6 mos aging; the softer flavors were not as prominent - I found there to be less chocolate and more sharp wood-notes. Still a good beer, but it took on a thinner-feeling, more solventy character with less lushness of flavor and aroma than I remembered when I had it initially. (2,002 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6%

Hesitant to try this Mikkeller, due to my disappointment in the cognac weasel that I tried a while back.
Well, I guess I don't enjoy the cognac. But this calvados brew was superb!

A: pitch black with a avg dark mocha head. Nice retention and lacing

S: Roated coffee, brandy come through

T: Terrific. Has some vanilla sweetness then comes the coffee Into play followed by the smooth brandy blend!

M: above medium feel. My style. And smooth.

O: can't say enough about this one. Well, I will say at $14 a 8 oz is a thick pocket feel too.
But it was worth it! I recommend highly. (581 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle, 2011 vintage. Pours dark molasses with nice dark tan head that dwindles to a nice thin head and maintains. Aroma is full of coffee, roasted malt, bourbon, and chocolate. Tastes of chocolate with a nice bitter coffee finish. Not too prominent of a bourbon note but present nonetheless. Mouthfeel is spot on with a light burn in the throat. (358 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No freshness dating on the bottle

A= Pours a deep black color with a dark brown color head that falls slowly to a ring around the glass. The head holds great lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The smell is a really strange mix. Lots of coffee and toffee. I actually get a lot of caramel in it and a sweet boozyness. I don't know what Calvados is but it smell like a brandy or something. The barrel is very prominate.

T= Again a great mix of coffee stout and booze. The booze isn't as bad as I thought it was. The taste hides it nicely. A sweet booze again I think brandy or something similar. A little alcohol flavor comes through but not too much. The flavor profile keeps the alcohol in check.

M= Super thick and creamy. Much thicker than the regular edition I think.

O= This is a tasty brew. I've heard it's boozy but this wasn't too boozy for me. It actually seemed pretty well tamed. Try this beer and seek it out. This is a lovely brew. (948 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a very thin tan head that quickly dissipated, leaving lacy patterns of bubbles on the surface.
S: The smell has aromas of apple brandy along with some notes of coffee.
T: The beer has strong tastes of chocolate, coffee beans and apples from the brandy (no alcohol is noticeable)
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied and very smooth on the palate. The beer coats your mouth and has a moderate amount of carbonation. No warmth from the alcohol is noticeable.
O: This beer is quite easy to drink considering its strength—no alcohol is perceptible in the taste—and has a great balance among the flavors. The barrel aging in calvados barrels does not overpower the taste of the underlying beer and instead nicely complements it. (775 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

a: black, almost dark dark brown at the bottom of the cup. dark tan 1/2 finger head

s: smells amazing. a lot going on here. smooth roasted coffee beans, sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, tons of oak, something almost charred in there as well. maybe a hint of alcohol. also some figs, and what i assume is the calvados. smells quite warming

t: initial sips are all milk chocolate and some alcohol. then the smooth coffee flavor washes through with something thats almost like an apple bite. figs , berries, and plums are there in the background. some slight oak and vanilla here too. the aftertaste is real nice: roasted malt, coffee, and juicy red apples

m: medium - lighter than i expected. not much carbonation

o: ok, probably not worth the price. still GOOD though. the more you sip on it, the nicer it gets and the more you pick up. i think the barrel might just be a little too much for me as i would have liked a little more coffee here. the aftertaste is really nice though, and that apple flavor is something that is really tasty (1,044 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

LOOK: Pours an opaque very dark brown with a light tan head. Lots of tiny bubbles make this a viscous looking brew, it has legs. Appearing to be a big bad barrel aged stout, but the looks can't quite prepare you for this unique ale.

SMELL: Oaky and earthy. Roasted malts, coffee and sweet alcohol are very present. As it warms a suggestion of chocolate emerges. Very wood centered, mildly fruity, boozy and complex. A bit of ocean breeze saltiness

TASTE: Greeted by a smooth mocha coffee note, along with waves of vanilla, oaky tannins, fruit and calva. This is good shit, literally earning that designation by using coffee beans that were partially digested by a weasel. Big oak, sweet chocolate, warming booze; robust flavors, a treat for beer geeks as advertised. A hint of berry and hard cider notes emerge to compete against the roast. Mild acidity, partially from hops and most more than likely from the calvados, as there is more than a pinch of aged calvados making itself known.

FEEL: Full bodied, silky smooth with a moderately low level of carbonation. There is a small heat in the semi dry finish.

OVERALL: A sipper for sure, especially since every sip cost me about $ 0.75-1.00. I dig this beer for its originality, but I wouldn't return to it unless I was really at the right place at the right time. Still worth seeking out, for sheer novelty if nothing else. It is seriously good though, I enjoyed the nip. (1,427 characters)

250ml bottle 10,9% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.

Appearance: As with the regular Brunch Weasel, the Calvados version is absolutely pitch black, with only the faintest hint of deep red visible along the edge of the glass when back lit. A rough pour yields a good sized mocha coloured head that lasts reasonably well and leaves a few patches of lace. A swirl coats the glass in heavy yellow tinted alcohol legs.

Smell: The initial nose is all coffee and intensely dark chocolate, with virtually no barrel character noted. As the beer warms, the nose begins to open up, with notes of dark caramel, milk chocolate, dark fruits, distinct oak and some Calvados. I am guessing I served this one a little too cold, as once it reached room temperature it smelled pretty damn good. The only flaw is that the Calvados could be a little more prominent.

Taste: As expected, the initial flavour is dominated by coffee and dark chocolate. The Calvados is noted, but as with the nose, I wish it was a little more prominent. Other notes include: Dark caramel, dark fruits (burned raisins and cherries), roasted malt, oak, a touch of smoke and a little liquorice. There is a fair amount of booze in the flavour, but it is not overly bothersome. The finish is fairly bitter and quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Sadly the barrel aging seems to have knocked the body a little bit. Medium (maybe a little over) bodied, fairly oily, with a low level of fairly smooth carbonation.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one, but it just doesn't quite live up to the original. I think a little longer in the Calvados barrels might have done the trick. (1,645 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a small 8.5 oz bottle into a tulip.

A- Poured a very dark body with a copper/mocha head that held little retention. A saturn ring hugged the sides of the glass with slippery lacing. Decent separation.

S- The Calvados barrel aroma is strong on the nose. A "cognac" alcohol ethanol up front with the barrel comes to play with the roasted coffee. Some bitter cocoa, and warm apple/pear with spiced sugar.

T- Very different from the nose. Lots of transition of coffee from start to finish. A roasted/slightly burnt malt and slightly toasted coffee up front, dark fruit and dark cocoa, molasses and again a bitter strong black coffee finish bringing out dryness and the alcohol. Very boozy. You would expect more "oaky/wood chipped" flavor from the barrel on the nose, but it is a surprising turn of taste and very unique to the style.

MF- Full bodied! Light carbonation... Semi-sticky. Also warming as this gem opens up more. Not as aggressive as I was anticipating, but some more carb bite and a slicker body would be a bit more up my alley on this beer.

O- Don't expect to find this at a "cheap" price anywhere. This is very much a quality beer, and for the Imperial stout style, this is only a buy you could appreciate for what it is. If you are a huge fan of the style, go for it. Regardless of the pretty penny I spent on the weasel, it was still worth it! (1,376 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours an opaque jet black in color with some light hints of brown at the edges when held up to the light. The beer has a very thin tan head that reduces to an extremely thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: Strong aromas of apple brandy with some more moderate notes of coffee, dark roasted malts, and light chocolate hints.

T: This beer is complex and very well balanced. The flavors start with dark roasted malts and apple brandy. Next the coffee flavor comes out and finally there are notes of bittersweet chocolate. Some light lingering bitterness is experienced.

M: Medium to full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and coats the inside of your mouth.

O: Delicious - perfect combination of flavors in this one (even better than the original). Alcohol is very well hidden and I would happily sit on this beer for hours. (887 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Dark black with a bit of brown with a finger of frothy chocolate-khaki colored head. Fades normal.

S - Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, oak, apple brandy, molasses, black licorice, caramel malts, milk chocolate, some booze.

T - Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, oak, apple brandy, earthy hops and some bitterness, black licorice, molasses, caramel malts, milk chocolate and vanilla, some booze.

M - Full-minus bodied with mild carbonation. Super smooth with a sweet, roasted, and warming finish.

D - Really nice balance. Great complexity added by the calvados barrel aging. (578 characters)

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition from Mikkeller ApS