Mexas Ranger - Mikkeller ApS

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: oline73 on 05-13-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.46/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a very dark brown color with a huge brown head into my glass. Resembles chocolate milk or something.

Almond milk, cocoa and chili come through in the nose. Very spicy. Reminds me of how the Aztecs created cocoa drinks.

Spicy and exotic with a very nice balance of nutty almond and delicious cocoa with everything else in-between. So tasty. I can't believe it's not an imperial stout because the profile is close enough.

Lingering spiciness and cocoa dominate the mouthfeel. I'm actually sweating after finishing a few sips. Has a deep burn too going down. Kinda like that of a smoked beer but dialed-down considerably.

A very complex and interesting beer that you should definitely spend $12.99 for. I wonder if it can be aged?

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Stamped 9621210.

A: Three fingers of dense, creamy, dark-brown head. The body is almost (but not quite) black. Heavy lacing.

S: Very interesting. Some pepper (cayenne?), cacao nibs, and other vegetal matters. "Brewed with spices, almond milk, cocoa, chili, black beans, and avocado leaves." That kind of makes sense. But it's still weird.

T/M: YUM. I am not unsurprised by this flavour. This is pretty much what I thought it would be. Basically a milk stout with some chilies, spices, and odd vegetal notes. The almond milk helps the body tremendously and avoids entirely the thinness present in the Texas Ranger. Almost like a fine gin mishmashed with a milk stout.

O: I really enjoy this. Incredibly rewarding, and it only grows on me as I drink. I definitely recommend the whole bottle. The only way to do it.

3.16/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Acquired at a local SoCal beer store for $15.00. Expectations are high; this is me favourite brewer. "Ale brewed with spices, almond milk, cocoa, chili, black beans & avocado leaves." This is not to be confused with the tequila barrel aged version of this beer, which comes in a smaller format green glass bottle. 6.6% ABV confirmed. Brown glass bottle with standard unbranded silver pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. The number "9621210" appears on the back label; not sure what that means. Brewed & Bottled at De Proef. Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

I need to take a minute to note something really odd. On the bottom right of the front label, it says 11.2 fl oz - but I've seen one or two bottles of beer in my time, and this is most definitely NOT that size; I figure this for 750ml format. Very strange; this must be a labeling mistake.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous rich dark tan colour head of great cream, great thickness, and great (~9+ minute) retention. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Quite appealing. I'm looking forward to trying it. Thin lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Sm: Roasted barley, cocoa powder, dark malts, chocolate malts, and spice. I don't get any of the strange notes mentioned on the label. Maybe a hint of buried chili pepper. Interesting enough; the roasted barley alone grabbed my attention. A moderately strong aroma. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T/Mf: Creamy up front, giving way to a rough dry body comprised of dark malts and muted chili powder. Boy, that dryness is wretched; I'm not sure which ingredient is to blame but I doubt it's the milk. Body is weak and it thins out towards the climax. Coarse in the early second act, really destroying drinkability. Mouthfeel here does not at all suit the flavours. Carbonation is good, but that's the best thing I can say about the texture. Buried roast. I think proteins are the problem here, maybe from the beans. Chocolatey throughout, with some nice cocoa notes. I get spice up front; structurally almost all of the flavour is right there in the first and early second acts; it really falls off towards the end. The finish is nice, though, evoking slick chocolate milk. Fairly thick. The flavour is nice, but the mouthfeel is very poorly done and noticeably stands out for its low quality. Methinks the weird spicing and ingredients resulted in this.

Dr: A disappointment from Mikkeller, especially at its high price. The main flaw is the mouthfeel, which is not at all what it needs to be. Hides its ABV well, though. I wouldn't get it again, but I'll probably end up trying the tequila barrel aged variant. After all, every beer gets a chance - especially Mikkel's. Wouldn't recommend to friends. I'll be able to finish the bottle without issue, but I'm not excited to do it. A failed experiment.

The above notes withstanding, it does get better as it warms.

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%

This pours a thick solid black with inches of cocoa colored foam. It looks impressive. I’m drooling already.

The aroma is reminiscent of a light cocoa dusting and some cocoa powder, with each sip bursting with a layered coffee chocolate and light chili roastiness. There’s a wonderful sharp finish and a great spicy kick. I loved this brew.

(Wish I could pick out what the avocado leaves contribute, tho.)

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on-tap in a shaker pint.

A: A skilled pour by the bartender yielded an opaque deep mahogany colored ale with a finger-and-a-half of dense, slightly rocky head.

S: Dark roasted malt, bitter chocolate, a touch of pepper and elusive indeterminate spice, (see below) and a certain earthiness.

T: Up front and all-around this beer tastes very much like a really complex porter to me. It has a full flavored foundation of roasted malt and cocoa that are very well balanced. There's a certain crispness that I must assume comes from the chili spice, which to my taste is offset by just a hint of syrupy, woody almond. A little background research reveals that avocado leaf imparts a flavor not unlike anise. There is a touch of earth that follows the same note in the nose. This I think is the spice note that I had the most trouble identifying while tasting (and in the nose) but it is there; I want to try this one again.

M: The body of this beer was really a nice medium feel; matched the body quite well. I only had one, but at 6.6% abv I would have to say that this beer has a body that is invitingly smooth. I'm assuming the starch and protein from the black beans make more of a contribution to the body than the taste or aroma.

O: I have to say I was impressed by the exotic, yet restrained execution of Mexas Ranger. I liked the fact that it was full-flavored and complex, yet easy to drink and smooth. I found myself almost involuntarily taking big swigs, gulps even, which is not usually my style at all. I could easily see myself downing a couple of pints. I also found it quite appetizing; I did not want to eat at all before I drank it but ended up getting some pretzels and beer cheese with my next selection.

3.51/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pitch-black pour with a huge, very dense dark brown head. Fades impossibly slowly and never truly goes away. Great retention. Almost solid wall of perfect lacework.

S: Smoky. Some chocolate and ...beans? Kind've has a vegetal quality to it. Not exactly, it's hard to describe but vegetal is close. Probably some combination of the beans and avocado. Very unique, but not that hot.

T: Smoky up front, very similar to regular Texas ranger. Some chocolate mixes in and then come the beans. Lots of beans in the middle mixing with the smoke, giving it sort of a charred black bean flavor. No noticeable heat wave like Texas Ranger, though there is some very very mild simmering hot in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and surprisingly heavy. Very chalky/charred and drying on the back end.

O: Meh. Texas Ranger was pretty good but this one is just overdone. Has almost no heat compared to the original, and the smoke seems cranked up in this version. Thus it is a bit acrid and chalky. The off-flavors of beans and what I presume to be avocado aren't helping anything either. Certainly a unique beer but it's more or less a mess.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Split a 750ml poured into a boulevard tulip

A: pours black with a three finger dark mocha coffee head, this beer looks delicious... Nice retention and excellent lacing.

S: I deffiantly smell black beans, black beans and chocolate, with a touch of Choctaw and roast... As the brew warms the peppers start to come out a bit, with a touch of creamyness and smoke.

T: nice roasty chocolate with a touch of somke, I feel like the peppers come in on the end adding a little kick of heat tona dry roasty finish... Very tasty and balanced... I swear I taste the black beans.

M: nice full creamy mouthfeel with a dry and slightly hitter roasty finish,
With a touch of heat, lush and enjoyable.

O: this is really tasty and delicious, all the ingredients are very subtle and very well balanced... I really enjoyed this.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours black with a large, dark tan head.
Nose shows roasted malt, chocolate, earthy notes and coffee beans.
Similar flavours. Lots of roasted malt, earthy notes, cocoa and an aggressive roasty finish.
Carbonation seems full on.
Not sure how much the spices/additions add to the beer.

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

Pitch black and almost oily with a creamy dark tan head. Good head retention and lots of lacing. Nice.

Roasty, slightly smoky aroma with a fair dose of sweetness and lots of alcohol. Some cinnamon and cocoa. Really nice.

Complex and full of flavour. The touches of chilli are evident. Lots of alcohol and malt with the chocolate over the top too.

Medium-full body with moderately-high carbonation. Good.

A solid beer. Lots of fun flavour combinations going on here. The base stout is very, very good and the whole comes together well.

This definately has some spices added such as 5 types of chillies,avocado leaves,almond syrup,black turtle beans and a couple others,it pours the darkest kola hue ive ever seen and leaves a mocha laced two finger head and clingy lacing everywhere,on smell i get aromas of hot spicy chillies,chocolate malts,herbs and mexican salsa,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with minimal carbonation and has tastes of dark chocolate,spicy hops,roasted nuts,caramel and finished with a lingering heat thats not overpowering it just warms your whole body and overall it definately has a worse bark than bite as on first smell i thought this was gonna really leave my mouth numb from the chillies but it doesnt it just lets you know they are there but in saying that i do like it and would have no problem drinking it again cheers

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

I had this bottle at the Mikkeller Bar in Copenhagen. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark brown with a finger of tan head that fades to a layer on top of the pour and leaves a little bit of lace on the glass.

Smell: Mexican spices with dark malt and some sweetness. I'm not getting much heat from the peppers.

Taste: Mild chilis with a roasty bitterness. I'm getting a flavor that I can only describe as Mexican spice. There seems to be a light woody note here as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I didn't like this quite as much as the regular version. Not a bad effort by any means. I couldn't pick out the individual flavors, but the Mexican spices were interesting.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last