Spontankoppi - Mikkeller ApS

good

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Wild Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-15-2012)

EastBay_Nick, Jul 13, 2013

OBeerMeGreatOne, Aug 19, 2012

slowfade, Aug 14, 2014

samEBC, Sep 30, 2012

schnarr84, Dec 23, 2012

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. I got this bottle on sale at my local Binny's for $9.99. My second beer from Mikkeller's spontan series of beers. "Sour ale brewed with coffee & aged in wine barrels". Expecting very different results than the Mikkeller Spontanwildstrawberry.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a bright orange colored body with three to four fingers of fluffy doughy off-white suds for a head. Some yeast presence visible in the glass. Looks very nice.

S - Smell is kind of subdued. Bretty funk was the first thing that hit me, and then it levels off to a light yeasty smell with some malt roast in there also. I can definitely smell the koppi coffee in there when I look for it. A sour apple / white grape smell is in there also, presumably from the wine barrel aging.

T - The strange combination works better together than I would have expected. Sour, cheesy brettanomyces. Crisp carbonation. Yeast. And then the bitter coffee roast creeps up in the middle. Finishes with a sour white wine flavor. Reminds me of a much more sour tart version of Argus California Style Steam, which I just tried recently.

M - Feel ends tart and sour with some tingling carbonation dancing on the tongue. Some bitterness lingering on the palate.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed it. A strange beer indeed, and I'm glad to have tried it, especially at the sale price I caught it at. I'd say this was a success for Mikkeller with the koppi and the wine barrel aging. While it probably isn't a beer I would seek out again, I highly recommend trying it at least once.

Mikkeller Spontankoppi ---4/5.

mfnmbvp, Sep 09, 2013

Rickythejeweler, Jun 23, 2013

mkennedy119, May 28, 2013

robbiepmelton, Oct 20, 2014

A - Cloudy golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. Fades normal.

S - Wheat, lemon zest, tart green fruit, funky yeast, sourness, roasted coffee, barnyard funk, acidity, funky yeasts.

T - Sourness, tart green fruits, lemon zest, wheat, funky barnyard flavors and yeast, roasted lightly bitter coffee, acidity, lactic acid, oak, vanilla.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a tart, funky, and sour finish.

D - Very tart and acidic. The coffee is a very interesting flavor.

ngeunit1, Feb 15, 2013

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

375ml
$5.99 (Sale)
Binny's - Bolingbrook

A pale golden liquid fills the glass and rambunctious carbonation immediately rush to the surface. A soft pour yields a fingers worth of pure white head, even silky, with respectable staying power. Though it eventually fades it leaves a chunky ring and some sticky lace. An excellent looking beer.

I have to say, a spontaneously fermented coffee beer aged in wine barrels doesn't sound like the most appetizing of beverages yet somehow, the nose is very inviting. Off the bat is the bugs and barrel; attic wood that's become damp with time, forest floor, and wet stone minerality. A splash of white vinegar makes me salivate. The wine is very soft and only picked up on deep pulls way in the backend. I have no idea how old this beer is but the coffee is soft and well integrated adding a touch of fruity acidity and faint roast, very faint. Pleasently surprised isn't strong enough sentiment.

The flavor profile is where it all derails a bit, not in a totally bad way, just.... unique. The barrel notes have softened up quite a bit along with that mouthwatering minerality. They're both still present but have fallen to the background. Coffee picks up much more than the nose led on. There's a splash of vinegar followed by stale coffee that, while it plays a big role overall, manages to stay soft enough to not totally dominate. A touch of fruity acidity adds balance. I like this beer but it throws me as well. I could certainly see it being polarizing. Knock that score up a notch...

The carbonation is spot on, active and softly tingly but the body runs a touch thin. It drinks quick and leaves no impression behind, slightly watery. There's a slight acetic acid pucker but I would personally like the finish to be a bit drier. These are minor gripes, it's close to what I feel is proper. I'd honestly have to say the drinkability is respectable.

Mikkeller does a lot of off the wall beer and this is certainly a good example. A touch of light roast, some fruity acidity which helps the overall balance, and barrel notes on the backend make for an enjoyable experience, if not a great beer. With that said I would probably purchase this again. It puts me on the fence, do I like it or not? I'm having a hard time telling but at the moment I seem to be leaning toward the prior.

joe1510, Jun 28, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to wethorseblanket for sharing this one at Wowcoolman’s tasting.

Pours a hazy honey orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with some acidic, slight coffee, and jalapeno aromas. Taste is much the same with the jalapeno coming through on the flavor as well and a very acidic finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some very interesting aromas and flavors.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 28, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

375ml bottle into snifter.

A - Light orange hue with one inch head that fades out rather quickly. Full of carbonation bubbles.

S - Sour grapes, brett, green apples, lemon, grass, very floral.

T - Starts out very fruitty with green apples and sour funk up front with some lemon. Mid palate the coffee kicks in and finishes quite dry.

M - Bubbly and carbonated up front and very dry on the finish.

O - Very interesing take on this wild ale. Not sure if I'm digging the addition to the coffee but I knew from the label what I was getting into. Coffee is very bitter and this beer dries out the mouth like no other! Priced at over a dollar an ounce I'm glad to try this beer but won't be one I re-visit.

pigc, Aug 05, 2012