Spontanwildstrawberry - Mikkeller ApS

SpontanwildstrawberrySpontanwildstrawberry

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Lambic - Fruit |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-15-2012)
Reviews by kaips1:
kaips1

Kentucky

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

From the bottle into a snifter

Ok, lets try my first Mikkeller Sour. Pours a nice reddish amber with at first a rushing 2 finger white frothy head. The head dissipates quickly into a solid ring of tiny bubbles. The hues of this beer change along the red spectrum at every angle of light, yet it is an expected cloudy visibility, almost murky. Now on to the aromas that escape the glass, and boy do they escape. A whiff upon opening the bottle was all farts and sulfur and rotten eggs, funny thing is I had my gf take a whiff right after I did and she liked it, go figure. Upon the beer entering the glass I still smell sulfuric rotten eggs but also Brett essences and slight bits of fruity sweetness that almost makes me think strawberry syrup that they use in gum. My gf says that she can smell sour and strawberry, I think shes crazy. Now on to the taste, and its almost as interesting as the smell. There is a sulfuric farty egg flavor that sits right on my tongue and isnt helped by this rubber tire kind of flavor. The gf thinks it tastes like nail polish remover smells. I dont know if this needs time to do its thing or if it'll never be GOOD. The mouthfeel is spot on, nicely carbonated not too much and not too little. Overall, probably not gonna try this again, I was hoping for something awesome and I feel it fell very short, the experience is the only justification for the price. I know not to drink Mikkeller sours at $12 a bottle ever. Now I'm sure I wont be trying the Spontankoppi.

07-20-2012 03:15:51 | More by kaips1

08-19-2012 14:14:38 | More by acurtis
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev +5%

375ml bottle, best before May 2022. Wow, a decade from now, hard to quite fathom.

This beer pours a hazy medium orange-tinged amber hue, with two fingers of tightly billowing off-white head, which leaves a low ebbing berm of lace around the glass as it slowly fades away.

It smells of week-old, yet still rather sweet strawberries, languishing in the back of the fridge, with some mildly earthy barnyard funk, some bewildered pale malt, a subtle, more vegetal tartness, an echo of musty cheese, and tame leafy hops. The taste is sour strawberries, this time a bit more fresh in their bearing, mixed with some aged lemon juice, a continuing funky barnyard essence, meek grainy malt, some softly rendered barrel notes, and a very slight petrochemical nature.

The bubbles are a bit frizzy, but in a generally low-key manner, the body medium-light in weight, the acidity doing a lofty sort favour for us all, at the same time letting the smoothness off with nary a warning. It finishes off-dry, the malt kind of asserting itself for the first time, as the sourness, funk, and fruitiness maintain a steady holding pattern.

A surprisingly agreeable 'new' world wild ale (so the Danes are allowed to call it 'Lambic', eh?), the barrel treatment deft and understated, just enough to allow the base nature of the fruit to actually shine through. Well drinkable, and that's a metric shit-ton more of praise than I had been expecting to proffer for this one.

12-09-2012 07:17:54 | More by biboergosum
alamode

09-16-2012 20:42:18 | More by alamode
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.51/5  rDev +2.3%

Strawberry aroma wafting after the pour, but then funk aroma. A little pink colour, surprising head, and lacey Unwashed clothes, feet like, that kind of funkiness. Thanks Jon.

01-08-2013 15:08:53 | More by Sammy
GuisseppeFranco

11-03-2012 01:55:17 | More by GuisseppeFranco
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

Served from bottle into a Mikkeller Teku (proper!). Poured a fluorescent orange with a two finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, sour, fruit, strawberry, diaper, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, earth, strawberry, fruit, subtle sour, and massive funk on the followthrough that sticks to the palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was fairly good brew. Upon first inspection of the aroma I was all for this one as there is just something about that diaper smelling funk that I love in a beer. However, this also carried over into the flavor as the funk profile going on here was a little overwhelming. Yes, you heard that correctly. It completely overwhelmed my palate and wouldn’t stop. If you are a fan of massive funk in a brew this is the one for you, no doubt about it.

09-13-2012 10:39:29 | More by thagr81us
mkotsayfan

3.74/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a snifter. Pours a cloudy dark orange with a nice pillowy white head w/decent retention. The aroma has typical lambic smells: lemon, funk, grapes, and a disappointing amount of strawberries/sweetness. The taste delightfully has more strawberry, but something is offputting a little bit. I'm not sure if it's just the mix of flavors, or if the strawberries themselves aren't quite as good when fermented, but it's off. Nothing offensive, however. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with good carbonation, and a nice tart finish.

A solid brew from Mikkeler, I can see those that don't like Strawberries might think the taste is a little offputting, but I still thought it was fairy enjoyable.

01-20-2013 21:54:19 | More by mkotsayfan
GRG1313

08-16-2012 06:14:22 | More by GRG1313
TruePerception

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Mikkeller's Spontanwildstrawberry: 7.7% ABV, no head;

Appearance: cloudy orange/peach, yellow rim variation;

Smell: apricot wheat;

Taste/Mouthfeel: decent yet subdued acidity, dry/bitter wild strawberry, bitter leafiness;

Okay.

09-01-2013 18:27:47 | More by TruePerception
lecoupdejarnac

4.83/5  rDev +40.8%

A: Dark hazy golden with champagne like carbonation fizz-up when opening. Light fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Leaves no lacing on the glass. Releases steady carbonation bubbles floating up in the glass.

S: A strong peaty yeastiness with a hint of fruit. Instantly recognizable sour beer funk.

T: Up front there is powerful funk from start to finish. One slight strawberry note near the finish; a very subtle sweetness that fades quickly. Moderate sourness that lingers just a few moments after swallowing. Finishes very dry and slightly musty, but still in harmony with the other yeast flavors. Wooden notes are present at the end too, but I wouldn't call it oak. Occasionally evokes a very dry champagne. No alcohol at all, despite being 7.7%.

M: Medium-smooth body with very crisp carbonation.

O: I was shocked when I saw the other scores for this beer; it's one of my favorites and I can't wait to get another bottle. As a sour I almost enjoy it as much as the 2008 Vintage Rodenbach I drank recently or Russian River Beatification. I love strong funky yeast-forward flavors like this. There's so much complexity I find different flavors in each sip. Maybe I just got a good bottle.

09-26-2012 02:49:28 | More by lecoupdejarnac
Beejay

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

A: A very hazy peach color.. the head rises instantly to the top of the glass like champagne, before the large bubbles collapse upon themselves, leaving a foamy ring around the glass, and a thin frosting of light head.

S: As the bubbles burst through the top layer of the beer, they bring with them tartness, and an acidic note. Berries dance with the sour smell, and perhaps a touch of a plastic note lingers in. I am also getting a smell like fresh stream water and wet rock. Almost a bit of earthiness. As I continue to sniff the plastic smell comes forward a hint.. hopefully it doesn't show itself in the taste.

T: Tart! Whew is that tart, there is a quality like a citrus peel... part sour, part bitter. Light strawberry notes as well as some earthiness followed by funk, there is almost a sharpness to it, like an aged cheese. Very interesting.

M: Dry and high carbonation. There is certainly an acidic feel to it, making your teeth feel like you just ate a lemon. The dryness leaves you reaching for another sip.

O: Overall interesting. Not my favorite beer in the world, but I had a craving for a good sour.. this didn't quite quench the craving, but it was a start. A little too much funk, and not quite enough cohesion.

05-01-2013 02:11:25 | More by Beejay
CPditka

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

08-02-2012 01:58:22 | More by CPditka
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Picked up tonight at the COOP for a pricey $13... a guilty but expensive pleasure. Poured into my slim tulip, the brew glows a slightly hazed orange.. 1 finger white head leaves decent lacing.

Funky with a light strawberry note.. real fruit though.. a bit phenolic that makes me think bandaid.. some sulfur.. still pretty okay.

Flavor is better slightly.. fruity and acidic... plenty of lactic notes combine with fermented out fruit.. sorta briny... the fruit shines mid-palate for a moment and then moves back to the traditional lambic elements.. phenols show again on the finish as a sorta lingering bandaid note.

Body is light as expected... carbonation is spritzy.

Decent... but I don't appreciate the bandaid aroma/flavor too much, I know they show often in funky brews, but I thought they detract too much from the fruity elements.

4/3/3/3.5/3.5

DrBier

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

07-04-2014 03:17:22 | More by DrBier
mfnmbvp

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present, but the cap does say 10081205. Got this at the local Binny's the other day. My second journey into the realm of lambics, and it is always exciting to try another one of Mikkeller's creations.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about one finger of off-white bubbly head, audibly sizzling away. Head retains itself for a minute or two. Body color is light orange around the edges, and a bit darker in the middle. Almost an IPA-like appearance to it. Can definitely spot a bit of a yeasty culture looking presence in there.

S - As soon as I uncapped this, I got a whiff of the sour barnyard funk, and tart fruit. Funky Belgian yeast type smell almost reminds me of a fruity latex glove. One of the more unique smelling beers that I've encountered, yet I was still hoping for much more fruit.

T - Extremely tart, sour, and yeasty. Tastes of brettanomyces and bacteria. Belgian yeast strains don't exactly seem to be my thing, but I'm slowly trying to ween my way towards liking them, taking baby steps. Would have definitely enjoyed more of a strawberry presence here, because I can barely taste any strawberry at all.

M - Tart, bubbly, champagne like feel to it. Carbonated. Very sour bretty, yeasty aftertaste. Finishes very smooth and clean, though.

Overall, I am really on the fence with this beer. I definitely have to say I enjoyed this beer more than many other Belgians I've had in the past, but I guess I am just disappointed because I was hoping for more a tart fruit fix. Still, an enjoyable enough bottle, and one I am glad to have tried. Sour, tart, bretty, yeasty fun, and definitely glad it doesn't have a weak abv like a lot of other lambics I've seen around. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I would probably try it again. Pick it up if you see it!

Mikkeller Spontanwildstrawberry ---4/5.

03-28-2013 03:40:49 | More by mfnmbvp
wethorseblanket

4.23/5  rDev +23.3%

Capped 375ml green bottle.

A: Pours a hazy pinkish/reddish orange with a fluffy 1-inch off-white head which fades to a thin cap leaving splotchy lace.

N: Musty yeast with funk. Slight fruit coming through. Dusty, moldy hay from the barnyard.

T: Cheesy, funky yeast with some lemon/citrus. Dry strawberry fruit leather notes. Horseblanket (yea). Oak cork wooden finish.

M: Semi-medium body and carbonation. Dry and dusty. Mildly tart. Refreshing.

O: Did not find the sulfur elements noted in previous reviews. This is a very good funky and wild beer. Found the strawberries not like the sweet market type, rather wild forest berries. Yum.

08-17-2012 18:05:01 | More by wethorseblanket
Etan

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%

12.7oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a nice auburn with a head of big white bubbles that die almost immediately.

S: Big horseblanket smell with sweet strawberry notes poking through. Musty and wet but the fruit is quite nice.

T: Mostly horsey instead of lactic. Lots of old wet funk (horsey, mushroom, old milk), sometimes unpleasant. Wood, lemon, mild fruity sourness that is not obviously strawberry, which turns pretty tart in the finish. Improves a bit as it warms, with the fruit notes coming out.

M: Light-bodied, lively carbonation.

O: Didn't really get any sulfur as the other reviews mention, but the horseblanket is a bit too strong on this one. Definitely improves as it sits, but still doesn't end up strong.

08-11-2012 03:58:22 | More by Etan