Spontanwildstrawberry - Mikkeller ApS

to view more.
Ratings: 109 | Reviews: 38
Reviews by russwbeck:
3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Very clear orange yellow pour with a finger of white head. The bubbles race to the top of the glass and hold up the head for a really long time.

S: The aroma is much like the Spontankriek: tart, sour, with an underlying sweetness. Not particularly impressive in any one aspect.

T: Again, as with Spontankriek, this is just sour. No sweetness to counterbalance the sour at all. Really just tastes the same as the kriek. I can't distinguish any strawberries, either. Glad I split this with a buddy.

MF: Light and a bit over carbonated. The dryness at the finish is nice, but doesn't help the drinkability that much.

O: Pretty disappointed in this series so far. I'd recommend you don't spend the money to pick these up. Just not worth it.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle, best before May 2022. Wow, a decade from now, hard to quite fathom.

This beer pours a hazy medium orange-tinged amber hue, with two fingers of tightly billowing off-white head, which leaves a low ebbing berm of lace around the glass as it slowly fades away.

It smells of week-old, yet still rather sweet strawberries, languishing in the back of the fridge, with some mildly earthy barnyard funk, some bewildered pale malt, a subtle, more vegetal tartness, an echo of musty cheese, and tame leafy hops. The taste is sour strawberries, this time a bit more fresh in their bearing, mixed with some aged lemon juice, a continuing funky barnyard essence, meek grainy malt, some softly rendered barrel notes, and a very slight petrochemical nature.

The bubbles are a bit frizzy, but in a generally low-key manner, the body medium-light in weight, the acidity doing a lofty sort favour for us all, at the same time letting the smoothness off with nary a warning. It finishes off-dry, the malt kind of asserting itself for the first time, as the sourness, funk, and fruitiness maintain a steady holding pattern.

A surprisingly agreeable 'new' world wild ale (so the Danes are allowed to call it 'Lambic', eh?), the barrel treatment deft and understated, just enough to allow the base nature of the fruit to actually shine through. Well drinkable, and that's a metric shit-ton more of praise than I had been expecting to proffer for this one.

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Strawberry aroma wafting after the pour, but then funk aroma. A little pink colour, surprising head, and lacey Unwashed clothes, feet like, that kind of funkiness. Thanks Jon.

3.83/5  rDev +11%

Served from bottle into a Mikkeller Teku (proper!). Poured a fluorescent orange with a two finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, sour, fruit, strawberry, diaper, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, earth, strawberry, fruit, subtle sour, and massive funk on the followthrough that sticks to the palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was fairly good brew. Upon first inspection of the aroma I was all for this one as there is just something about that diaper smelling funk that I love in a beer. However, this also carried over into the flavor as the funk profile going on here was a little overwhelming. Yes, you heard that correctly. It completely overwhelmed my palate and wouldn’t stop. If you are a fan of massive funk in a brew this is the one for you, no doubt about it.

3.73/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a snifter. Pours a cloudy dark orange with a nice pillowy white head w/decent retention. The aroma has typical lambic smells: lemon, funk, grapes, and a disappointing amount of strawberries/sweetness. The taste delightfully has more strawberry, but something is offputting a little bit. I'm not sure if it's just the mix of flavors, or if the strawberries themselves aren't quite as good when fermented, but it's off. Nothing offensive, however. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with good carbonation, and a nice tart finish.

A solid brew from Mikkeler, I can see those that don't like Strawberries might think the taste is a little offputting, but I still thought it was fairy enjoyable.

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Mikkeller's Spontanwildstrawberry: 7.7% ABV, no head;

Appearance: cloudy orange/peach, yellow rim variation;

Smell: apricot wheat;

Taste/Mouthfeel: decent yet subdued acidity, dry/bitter wild strawberry, bitter leafiness;

Okay.

4.79/5  rDev +38.8%

A: Dark hazy golden with champagne like carbonation fizz-up when opening. Light fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Leaves no lacing on the glass. Releases steady carbonation bubbles floating up in the glass.

S: A strong peaty yeastiness with a hint of fruit. Instantly recognizable sour beer funk.

T: Up front there is powerful funk from start to finish. One slight strawberry note near the finish; a very subtle sweetness that fades quickly. Moderate sourness that lingers just a few moments after swallowing. Finishes very dry and slightly musty, but still in harmony with the other yeast flavors. Wooden notes are present at the end too, but I wouldn't call it oak. Occasionally evokes a very dry champagne. No alcohol at all, despite being 7.7%.

M: Medium-smooth body with very crisp carbonation.

O: I was shocked when I saw the other scores for this beer; it's one of my favorites and I can't wait to get another bottle. As a sour I almost enjoy it as much as the 2008 Vintage Rodenbach I drank recently or Russian River Beatification. I love strong funky yeast-forward flavors like this. There's so much complexity I find different flavors in each sip. Maybe I just got a good bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

A: A very hazy peach color.. the head rises instantly to the top of the glass like champagne, before the large bubbles collapse upon themselves, leaving a foamy ring around the glass, and a thin frosting of light head.

S: As the bubbles burst through the top layer of the beer, they bring with them tartness, and an acidic note. Berries dance with the sour smell, and perhaps a touch of a plastic note lingers in. I am also getting a smell like fresh stream water and wet rock. Almost a bit of earthiness. As I continue to sniff the plastic smell comes forward a hint.. hopefully it doesn't show itself in the taste.

T: Tart! Whew is that tart, there is a quality like a citrus peel... part sour, part bitter. Light strawberry notes as well as some earthiness followed by funk, there is almost a sharpness to it, like an aged cheese. Very interesting.

M: Dry and high carbonation. There is certainly an acidic feel to it, making your teeth feel like you just ate a lemon. The dryness leaves you reaching for another sip.

O: Overall interesting. Not my favorite beer in the world, but I had a craving for a good sour.. this didn't quite quench the craving, but it was a start. A little too much funk, and not quite enough cohesion.

3.21/5  rDev -7%

Picked up tonight at the COOP for a pricey $13... a guilty but expensive pleasure. Poured into my slim tulip, the brew glows a slightly hazed orange.. 1 finger white head leaves decent lacing.

Funky with a light strawberry note.. real fruit though.. a bit phenolic that makes me think bandaid.. some sulfur.. still pretty okay.

Flavor is better slightly.. fruity and acidic... plenty of lactic notes combine with fermented out fruit.. sorta briny... the fruit shines mid-palate for a moment and then moves back to the traditional lambic elements.. phenols show again on the finish as a sorta lingering bandaid note.

Body is light as expected... carbonation is spritzy.

Decent... but I don't appreciate the bandaid aroma/flavor too much, I know they show often in funky brews, but I thought they detract too much from the fruity elements.

4/3/3/3.5/3.5

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present, but the cap does say 10081205. Got this at the local Binny's the other day. My second journey into the realm of lambics, and it is always exciting to try another one of Mikkeller's creations.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about one finger of off-white bubbly head, audibly sizzling away. Head retains itself for a minute or two. Body color is light orange around the edges, and a bit darker in the middle. Almost an IPA-like appearance to it. Can definitely spot a bit of a yeasty culture looking presence in there.

S - As soon as I uncapped this, I got a whiff of the sour barnyard funk, and tart fruit. Funky Belgian yeast type smell almost reminds me of a fruity latex glove. One of the more unique smelling beers that I've encountered, yet I was still hoping for much more fruit.

T - Extremely tart, sour, and yeasty. Tastes of brettanomyces and bacteria. Belgian yeast strains don't exactly seem to be my thing, but I'm slowly trying to ween my way towards liking them, taking baby steps. Would have definitely enjoyed more of a strawberry presence here, because I can barely taste any strawberry at all.

M - Tart, bubbly, champagne like feel to it. Carbonated. Very sour bretty, yeasty aftertaste. Finishes very smooth and clean, though.

Overall, I am really on the fence with this beer. I definitely have to say I enjoyed this beer more than many other Belgians I've had in the past, but I guess I am just disappointed because I was hoping for more a tart fruit fix. Still, an enjoyable enough bottle, and one I am glad to have tried. Sour, tart, bretty, yeasty fun, and definitely glad it doesn't have a weak abv like a lot of other lambics I've seen around. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I would probably try it again. Pick it up if you see it!

Mikkeller Spontanwildstrawberry ---4/5.

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

Capped 375ml green bottle.

A: Pours a hazy pinkish/reddish orange with a fluffy 1-inch off-white head which fades to a thin cap leaving splotchy lace.

N: Musty yeast with funk. Slight fruit coming through. Dusty, moldy hay from the barnyard.

T: Cheesy, funky yeast with some lemon/citrus. Dry strawberry fruit leather notes. Horseblanket (yea). Oak cork wooden finish.

M: Semi-medium body and carbonation. Dry and dusty. Mildly tart. Refreshing.

O: Did not find the sulfur elements noted in previous reviews. This is a very good funky and wild beer. Found the strawberries not like the sweet market type, rather wild forest berries. Yum.

3.37/5  rDev -2.3%

12.7oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a nice auburn with a head of big white bubbles that die almost immediately.

S: Big horseblanket smell with sweet strawberry notes poking through. Musty and wet but the fruit is quite nice.

T: Mostly horsey instead of lactic. Lots of old wet funk (horsey, mushroom, old milk), sometimes unpleasant. Wood, lemon, mild fruity sourness that is not obviously strawberry, which turns pretty tart in the finish. Improves a bit as it warms, with the fruit notes coming out.

M: Light-bodied, lively carbonation.

O: Didn't really get any sulfur as the other reviews mention, but the horseblanket is a bit too strong on this one. Definitely improves as it sits, but still doesn't end up strong.

1.98/5  rDev -42.6%

A: Blushing deep orange in color, so-so clarity with quickly vanishing head. Good looking beer.

S: YIKES! Electrical tape/plastic/vinyl notes dominate. Its a shame, I feel like there is definitely some nice aroma underneath but its totally overwhelmed.

T: There is a decent fruit lambic underneath but the electrical tape vibe is impossible to ignore. Revolting!

M: Not particularly dry, but impressive for a 7.7% lambic.

Avoid at all costs, a seriously disgusting plastic-tasting mistake. This is very odd because both the Grape and Raspberry version of this are quite delicious.

3.67/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

375 ml bottle @ home // purchased @ De Hopduvel // 7.7 % (quite strong for the style) “lambic” with wild strawberries // I am still curious as to how De Proef is making these Mikkeller “lambic’s” // are they actually wild fermenting them or are they adding souring bacteria’s in order to get the desired flavours? // I am willing to bet it is the latter // love wild strawberries, remember eating them as a little kid in Kiev where they are sold on the streets, don’t see them here, I miss them // remember also finding them occasionally in the Black Forest on holiday // they are way more delicious than the ones you can buy in the supermarket / market here // green bottle // only cap, no cork, a bit odd in a way label is similer to the others in the series, bunch of pinkish & strawberry coloured, irregular, abstract circles //BBF date 10/05/2022 (wow +10 yr.?) // damn it, this is a gusher, not a big one but a gusher never the less // the mouth-watering smell of musty, funky barnyard fill the room // appearance is darker shade of orange, especially for still, head is only on the sides, minor lacing, ok for a “lambic’ beer, these don’t have to look picturesque // smell is terrible frankly, close to revolving, straight up manure, this is way too barnyard, crazily plastic smell when warmed up, rotting / synthetic, feet, fermenting cheese, really fermenting / gone bad fruits, melting plastic, this is not good, I am scared, this will be either really good or really bad & why, oh why? Do I keep smelling this, this is not a habit, I think I am doing this voluntarily // ok, taste is more manageable, this is not really how this is supposed to be, burned plastic notes + thick plastic, plastic lemons, acidic, thick hay, herbal, touch manure, rotting wild strawberries, bitter herbal, sweet strawberry finish, sourness wise this is actually quite mild, plastic fruits finish, seriously why am I picking such insane amounts of plastic in here, I am burping plastic here, manure, this is not barnyard, this is compost, bit like liking the mould of a wet wall, there is a lot of mould in here, not easy to drink from my glass because I am really sticking my nose into this which is a bonus in a good beer but not so sure here, this really takes some getting used to it, you sort of do, I want an Oudbeitje now, Oudbeitje’s are great because of unintentional additional infections, which one doesn’t have, this is very controlled as is everything that Proef does // body is more substantial than a regular “lambic”, plactic-like with that touch off turning begging carb. // this is harsh & this is not my first lambic, I sort of got into this but man this is messed up, don’t think that I would really recommend this // I did actually manage to get into this & now I am worried, very, very worried // I sort of wished for the bottle to be bigger // f*cking hell I am way too far gone and so is this beer

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle again shared by Chico. Reviewed from notes.

A- Dark golden-amber muddy looking body. Small foamy white head with a fizzy texture and poor retention, similar to many Wilds. No lace in sight after it all falls down to almost no foam in sight.

S- Fairly nice strawberry but a lot more going on that detracts from this. Oxiation, wine and some band-aid aroma throwing it all off for me. Half strawberrry, half odd things.

T- Strawberries at first again but as Chico described it nicely, it's like eating the fruit with the leaves and plant attached, something earthy and reminiscent of bitter plant stems. Oxidation, band-aid and a vinous feel. Nice sour level.

MF- A bit less sour than the Framboos for me. Foamy dry light-end body. High end spritzy carbonation and a somewhat strange bitterness throughout.

Some evident off flavors that seem to switch on and off with a pretty good strawberry fruit sourness. Strange beer.

2.81/5  rDev -18.6%

A clouded dark straw brew, An off-white head, little lacing but some curtains.

Smelling of rubber and sweetener, and moldy strawberries.

Initially sweet strawberry biscuits, then some sour milk on moldy strawberries, with a hint of yeast.

Medium high carbonation, coarse and dry. A small body.

Nope, one of the few Mikellers I do not like.

3.64/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a lightly hazy brassy yellow to orange in color with heavy amounts of fine visible carbonation and some faint orange highlights. The beer has a three finger tall fizzy light beige head that reduces to a medium sized medium thick patch with a thin film surrounding it and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of funkiness along with some very ripe (almost over ripe) strawberry sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a moderate amount of sour strawberries with a decent amount of funkiness. There is a hint of citrus/lemon and some tannic flavors as well.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly dry with moderate amounts of acidic prickliness and some stickiness.

O: This beer is very interesting with the funky slightly sour strawberries and over ripe strawberry aroma but not sure this is one that I will be grabbing again. There is quite a bit of funkiness to this one and a surprising amount of tartness/sourness.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in a flute.

I sniffed this after popping it open and was unhappy to find HUUUGE sulpherous well-water/rotten egg aromas... So I'm going to let this decant for a while...

Pinkish-orange body with a nearly white head of 3 fingers. Surprisingly nice retention. Decent legs, decent lacing. Looks slightly murky; perhaps murky isn't the word. It is translucent, but certainly not transparent.
This actually doesn't look too bad-- not bad at all in fact.

Barely any strawberry on the nose-- and this doesn't have the oaky notes I'd hope for... It's got a lot of sulfer action with some serious bacteria notes. As it warms the oak and strawberry notes increase quite a bit.
The beer is really dry-- a little dehydrated strawberry action (think astronaut ice cream strawberry flavor) with s pedio bite and a big dry finish. No tartness... Limited sourness.

Feels pretty full for the style, it's like a very firm body. Low carbonation doesn't work here for me-- a bit more would liven up the body and make this pop.

Overall-- a fun beer to try (after it decants). If you pop one of these open, do yourself a favor and let it decant for at least 10-15 minutes! It has improved tremendously, though still nowhere near the best examples of fruit sours (can we call this a Lambic? It uses Lambic technique right?)
Anyway, I've had much worse sours. I think for a first batch this is pretty good. Let mikeller get the barrels aged a few times and we might see some really impressive stuff from this line!

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, ripe strawberries. In the taste, a dry small sour strawberry and somewhat like champagne. A sour like bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry sourness and note of fruit in the aftertaste. Dry strawberries and a small sourness, not to shabby.

3.55/5  rDev +2.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a cloudy golden orange color. Produced quite the voluminous white fluffy head that is really sticking around for awhile. Lacing 'a plenty left behind in the process.

(S)- The smell is funk central. Brett heavy with a potent but clean acidity. Ever so slightly earthy in the funk as it turns very very dry. On the finish is one of the brightest strawberry fruit aromas I have ever seen in the style; very juicy.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Really dry and funky up front. Very Brett-centric in the funk area, that almost turns a touch towards the band-aid realm for me. Its saving grace is the bright strawberry acidic fruits on the finish.

(M)- A crisp and vibrant carbonation level. The dryness helps, though the Brett heavy funk profile turns almost medicinal/band-aid. Thankfully the fruits come through on the finish to twist it into a nice fruit profile for the lambic base.

(O)- This looked and smelled quite good; awesome really. The taste and feel is just way too much centered on the hospital room Brett funk to really enjoy fully. The vibrant strawberries on the finish was the saving grace of this beer that explains why my review is not scored lower.

3.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Had to try this to report back to the others...being the scout can be dangerous, but it can also be rewarding. Wonder which will befall me here? This stuff pours a lightly hazy golden-brass topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose reeks of mildly sulfurous berries (I can't say that it smells like any kind of strawberry I've ever smelled, but I also can't say definitively that it doesn't, either...), tart lemon zest, and a kiss of funk. It's a bit much if inhaled sharply. The taste brings in more of the same, with a touch of strawberry coming through identifiably. Now, I've never had wild strawberries, and apparently they're tarter than the garden variety, but I can say that this is definitely more sour than I expected. An almost tannic quality seems to creep up from beneath near the finish, but it quickly peters out. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a pretty nice "lambic", though it's a rougher tartness than I'd prefer in these beers. Still, it ain't bad.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Burnt orange, one finger off white head, minimal lacing.

S - Strawberries, brettanomyces, white grapes, hints of perfumy hops, sweet grains, buttered popcorn, bubblegum, and peach. Very complex.

T - Not as complex as the nose, but still very delicious. Tart strawberry, funky brett, vinous, sharp bitterness on the back end.

M - Medium body, moderate-low carbonation.

O - Very drinkable, great beer, great series, I have also tries the spontanframboos and really enjoyed it, can't wait to try the rest of the series.

2.07/5  rDev -40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

375 ml green glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a USC conical glass in me friend Bo's gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high; I love Mikkeller and I enjoyed the kriek in this series.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with graham crackers. (Don't ask me why).

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of nice thickness and cream, and good retention. Colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Lacing is poor. A pretty mundane looking sour - especially compared to Mikkel's kriek.

Sm: Somewhat off-putting fermented tart strawberry. Bacteria and clean malts. Eggy. I wouldn't go so far as to call it sulphuric. It's certainly strong and unique, but something about it really bothers me. Sugary and sweet.

T: Tart strawberry, clean malts, some cream, and bacteria. Quite strange. The finish is weirdly sour, far from satiating my sour fix. Balanced but the dominant note (those weirdly tart strawberries) really turns me off. Crystal malt and tingly white wine notes are a highlight, but are ruined by the strawberry. I just outright don't like the flavour, but I can appreciate how others might enjoy it.

Mf: Light, smooth, and wet. Adequate coarseness to bring out the flavour.

Dr: A major disappointment from my favourite brewery. I just plain hate the flavour; it doesn't at all suit my personal taste. I can see where others might like it, and I appreciate the craft utilized in producing it - but I frankly can't stand the way it tastes. Bleh. It's pricey to boot. I will say that it hides its ABV quite well.

Every beer advocate should review this just to experience it. It's truly a unique experience.

D

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%

The flavor of strawberry lends itself to complement sour ales very well, however it seems that the delicate notes prove to be too volatile for any meaningful impact. There's just something about strawberry lambics that leaves lackluster impressions. Does Mikkeller's attempts prove otherwise?

Appearances of blood orange, amber and peach gives a fruity glow while displaying a diffused haze. The beer billows with foam easily to the rim, then settles to a hardy blanket with sticky white lace. It's a very charming beer.

Strong phenols, sulfur, and earthen fungus notes shock the olfactories with high levels of pungency and offense. Where the floral note of strawberry was expected, the beer instead delivers putrid odors of hydrogen sulfide, electrical tape, mushroom, wood decay, shellfish, and gastric notes of egg and matches. The messy aromas however do carry also the brine, limey, and the pleasant must of oak that's expected of higher quality spontaneously fermented ales.

Fortunately, there's little about the off-putting aromas that translate to taste as the starkly dry ale delivers fruity taste that's loosely identifiable as tart strawberry. Low lying sweetness allows the tart acidity to dictate the balance. Along with the tartness, there's also the bitterness of lime skins or lemon pith that finishes the beer. Mixed within the flavors, numerous other flavors rise in the form of plastic, salt, pepper, must, sweat, grass, damp soil, and oysters. Very complex, but the flavors prove to be very challenging to taste.

But like most lambic-style ales, the beer's high acidity and zesty carbonation keeps the mouthfeel light, dry, astringent, and warm. Early subtle sweetness is quickly supplanted by the cidery sourness that develops grape skin astringency and oak tannin heading into a powdery-dry and lightly alcoholic finish.

You have really got to get into the serious earth notes from pediococcus that range from the taste of mushroom to sulfury gas to downright bile. Because many of the aromas are well represented, at least as much as the classic lactic and Brettanomyces notes that are much more pleasant and predictable.

3.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a tangerine color with slight off-white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is hint of strawberry with lots of acidity. There is a floral component too, like honeysuckle or wisteria.

Taste is tart but not overpoweringly so. Hints of strawberry present. More bitterness than I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is prickly and effervescent. More carbonated than I expected given the amount of head present.

Overall this was pretty good and worth a try.

to view more.