Invasion Farmhouse IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 08-04-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 204 | Reviews: 50
Reviews by ddedhed:

Wow! Was really blown away by the aroma and flavor of this brilliant IPA.. If you like your ale hazy and orange with flavor for days than this is for you the initial smell is all citrus zest and the beginning is Orange and moves to grapefruit and grass right to a prefect palette drying bitterness that begs for another drink and at 8%abv you don't even notice the alcohol.. Ipa's are a really diverse style but if your looking for fruity refreshing bitterness then try this if you can find it... the version I had was bottled in Alaska...Although slightly pricy I will buy it every time I see it..

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This batch was brewed in Anchorage Alaska by Anchorage Brewing Company in 08/14
A-A Bright yellow, golden hued ale with a thin white head and plenty of cloudiness
S-Bright Lemon juice, gives way to a grassy, then tropical hop aromas ending with just a bit of funky yeast smell, exelent
T-A really easy 8.0% Tart lemon at the opening, turning to a bright grapefruit, tropical citra hop flavor finishes with a nice bit of barnyard kick
M-Light and crisp w/ good carbonation, not much else to say here.
O- A more tropical, less woody than the bitter monk, but very tropical & more drinkable, if slightly less complex
P.S. Why is this classified as an American IPA it is totally Belgian in style

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear gold with a thick meringue-ish white head, that slowly settles leaving a few massive islands of lace on the glass. Smell: lime, grapefruit, grass and barnyard, notes of dried pineapple and sugar cookie. Taste: white grape and light nectarine beneath grapefruit, lime, grassy note, and dried pineapple. Medium bodied with fluffy carbonation, into a dry finish, slightly powdery, with nectarine skin and a sour citrus note. This latest version which is billed as "Mikkeller presents Invasion IPA Brewed & Bottled by Anchorage Brewing Company" is pretty fantastic.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is beyond funky the brett is overbearingly bitter and perfumey, however that's what they were going for over the top Farmhouse IPA with brett. Pours a hazed apricot golden orange hue with a white light bubbly head which dissipates rather quickly. Speckled lacing left behind the label is pretty badass with a stack of hops and Mikkeller wallpaper tricoloration. The makeup of the beer is strikingly the similar to some of the other IPAs from Anchorage brewing, minus cumquats and peppercorns. Aroma tart tropical fruits with citric grapefruit peels, funky barnhouse notes, a bit of cat pee, and horse blanket this brew brings the funk. When gulped the floral and citrus perfume notes come to the forefront with a bitter bite that you likely won't forget until you brush your teeth the next day. This is similar in tartness to some of the probiotics on the market with multiple strains of good bacteria, yeast, etc. Maybe this beer will regulate your digestion and cure our IBS. It's hard to detect malt sweetness because of the brett layers, and bittering C-hops utilized this bottle is labeled batch #2 and dated November 2012 and it's been kept refrigerated since it's release. A bit of warming alcohol effects the palate and mid gut, bitter layers of everything mentioned does become cloying and carbonation is trying to carry you through it but fails to do so. Overall a miss beer for me big time, I'm sure there's a market of crazy beer folks out there that would care for this but I'm just not one.

4.31/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy gold-straw color under a fuzzy tight white 1/4" layer of foam. Some discernable chunks at the bottom of my glass... Aroma is sweet, deeply but evenly brett-y, with tart funky lemon and tropical fruity aromas mashed together. Doughy bread, a touch of white wine, a smidge of onion, sweet floral and fruit, perhaps apple and pineapple. Taste begins with sour/tart citrus rind that eventually smooths out into a blend of fruit and flowers and then kicks back up right at the finish. Champagne, farmy flavors, pineapple, decomposing leaves yet also still some kind of greeness. Texture is dry but still fluffy smooth. Maybe some chalkiness in there. Overall pretty excellent.

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml cork-finished bottle, served in a tulip.

Pours a hazy copper-orange beneath a billowy, short-lived head. Little to no lacing.

When I popped the cork, a genie-like cloud of lemon, pine, and band-aid aromas burst forth from the bottle. Once poured, a honeyish sweetness and a touch of grapefruit joined the party.

First taste was tart, juicy lemon with a hint of apricot, a touch of malty sweetness, and substantial brett funk. As the beer warmed, the brett mellowed and melded more into a backbone of sweet grains and fruit flavors: peach, mango, more lemon, tangerine, and grapefruit. I took about an hour to sip my tulip, and the more the beer developed, the more I liked it. I felt this was a nearly perfect blend of sweet/funky/bitter.

At first, a generous carbonation drove this beer a bit roughly over my tongue. As I sipped and the bubbles escaped, the mouthfeel became a bit smoother, and I wouldn't say either was better than the other – I liked it both ways.

Overall, I found this beer to be delicious. In fact, I called it my “first best” beer of 2013. It's complex and flavorful, and in my opinion, comes together well. Strongly recommended to folks who like a healthy dose of brett in their beer.

1/1

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a very bright golden color. Very witish. The head is soapy and settles into a sparse cap.

The aroma is hoppy fo sure. Nice mix of fresh floral and grassy hop. Good citrus fruit and herbal note. There is some tartness and lemon from the yeast. Unfortunately resembles cat pee. It's odd but once I figured it out its not so bad.

The flavor is tart and crisp. Light sour funk mixes well with a spicy Belgian yeast. Fresh grassy hop brings the IPA to the table. Definitely a Belgian IPA with European hops. It's light and refreshing.

The feel is light with plenty of active carbonation. Tart and bitter on the palate but works well. Great beer before a meal.

A good tart Belgian IPA. The Brett shines and the others keep up. Unique.

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

Based on the other reviews, my opinion differs so much that I feel compelled to review.

Pours golden orange with a gigantic white head. Decent looking but so carbonated that must pour with great care or you get nothing but head. (No comments).

Nose is very fruity mixed with funk and not well integrated. There is something "off" with the nose. I love brett in the nose and mouth. This is brett "gone wrong." The smell is almost olive/smoke and simply a bit off putting.

Mouthfeel is way over carbonated and thus way too fizzy and bubbly in the mouth, along with the beer being far out of balance and without integration of flavors, weird as they are. Mouthfeel is just also "off" and not at all inviting.

Flavors are simply also off putting. I'm a bit distressed at my reaction having read the other reviews. I almost feel like I've tasted a different beer. For some reason that I can't pinpoint, I, like others I think, "want" to like Mikkeller. Here, it's simply bad beer in my opinion. The flavor profile is like malt with olives with brett with stale grass with rotten vegetables. In fact, to me, that was the overwhelming flavor - sort of the beginning of rotten food.

Finish follows flavor and, all in all, I have no need to try this one again. I'm a fan of Mikkeller's crazy stuff and even if I don't like one the Mikkeller brews, I usually respect the effort.

Sorry, this one is just not good. JMO

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Burley Oak snifter (Batch #2 NOV/12)

A: Opaque blonde hay color.

S: Lots of farmhouse, funk and pine. The brett complicates the notes a lot. Light grapefruit.

T: I might have preferred the fresh brett-less version. It is a bit watery towards the end. This was probably much better a year ago. Lots of farmhouse and yeasty funkness. Faintly tart with an old hop pine taste. Not too much to my liking. I wish it was either a lot hoppier or more bitter/tart.

M: Bubbly but overall pretty smooth.

O: I wish there was a bigger body with bolder flavors here. It was all kind of muted. However, I thought with the Brett, that the hops might last longer (silly), but it's not like I had been aging it. I only got it like a month ago.

4.23/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml caged and corked bottle, Batch #2, bottled November 2012. Served in a Unibroue tulip, the beer pours a hazy straw gold color with a couple inch frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is very nice, the brew smells like grassy and citrusy (mango, lemon peel, grapefruit) hops, funk, white grapes and bready malt. It tastes like citrusy (tropical fruit, lemon peel, grapefruit) and grassy hops, brett, apricots, and some herbal/floralness. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and creamy, and is well carbonated. I think it's a good brew, and definitely worth a try. $13.99 a bottle.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy straw color with a quickly fading white head that leaves almost no lacing.

Smells of big funky and grassy notes with some fruit undertones.

Tastes of the big funky notes with earthiness and fruits on top. Funk leads off with grass and hay notes. Fruits come through and add some sour apple along with pears and white grapes. Citrus also comes through and adds to the fruitiness. A bit of bready malt comes through and adds body. Ends with an earthy spice that rounds out the entire profile.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a frothy amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is quite tasty and I am glad I grabbed a bottle.

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked this up tonight at the Boise COOP for $14... Cheaper than any other place in town.

Pours a very hazy pale straw golden... fizzy white head dies back quickly.. light spott lacing.

Whoa... the nose is plenty hoppy.. but very buggy.. brett is big lemony essence.. grassy and some barnyard... "Farmhouse" for sure.. piney hops grow with warmth so does the brett.

Dry and dusty brett is the big player here... citrus and spicy notes play well.. green apple skin tartness... a heavy pine hoppiness is the finish almost like pine branches. Dry brett finish just lingers forever.

Very interesting.. huge carbonation and the expected body... but I doubt I will buy this again.. "one and done"... glad I got the chance, but the quality just did not make me think I want another big purchase.

3.5/3.75/4/4/4

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy yellow color with a few flakes scattered at the bottom of the glass. The head is frothy white foam and sticks in clusters. Smell is heavy on the Brett...big, beautiful, flowery, leathery funk joined by mango, grapefruit, lime, wood, and grape. Flavor is equally Bretty with a little more of an earthy, floral bitterness in the finish. Dried fruit, potpourri, leather...the hops are really secondary here. Hay, grapefruit, champagne, and mint. Medium bodied and dry with a little warming in the throat. The aroma is clearly the best part, but just a really nice, Brett-heavy beer overall.

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: into a tulip, hazy gold straw with a few fingers of fluffy white foam

S: lots of hops, pushing aromas of flowery fields, citric yet bitter fruit, and some of that brett funkiness

T: this is much more of a saison than an IPA, with lots of saison-tastes only accentuated by the use of brettanomyces - there is some "horse blanket" (lol) funk, dark grapefruits, and medicinal herbs; the malts are soft and pale, lending faint suggestions of toasted grain and watery honey-lemon sweetness

M: light, fuzzy, crisp, tart, bittering, wet to tacky

O: this beer is gonna catch some IPA lovers off-guard - I personally enjoy IPAs, Saisons, and Pale Belgians equally - so this beer was just great across the boards.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into good nature snifter. Batch #2 nov. 2012. Love the simplicity of the bottle art. Gotta love what these guys do with the appearance of the bottle.

A: a hazy, slightly sunburst gold color. Visible amounts of carbonation with a lacy single finger head.

S: very bretty smell. Barnyard and hops mixed together. a slight cheesey smell, I'm guessing also coming from the brett in this one. Hops linger in the background, but nothing to resiny coming off in the nose.

T: sharp, tart and bitter brettanomyces hits you upfront, with a lingering medicinal flavor resting on the front of the tounge. Not as much hops coming through as I imagined I would get, that brett just overpowers everything in this beer. Slight juicy, citrusy notes. Not very boozy at all. In fact, I completely forgot it was 8% until I was nearly finished with the glass.

M: nothing to write home about here. Almost medium bodied beer with a nice balence of carbonation. Pretty refreshing.

O: definitely worth a try, but wasnt hugely impressed with this one. Will definitely look into more of mikkiller's stuff as I've heard good things. A tasty beer for sure, worth picking up if you see it.

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Label says Batch #2 NOV 2012

A- Pours a medium golden color with a full inch of bubbly white head that retains decently before descending to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam.

S- Mm Brett, how I love thee. Notes of green olive, barnyard funk and a bit of citrus from the hops.

T- More Brett and a decent amount of bitterness to complement. Herbal aftertaste that borders on medicinal. Alcohol is wonderfully hidden. More notes of green olive plus some peach and mango.

M- Crisp and effervescent with medium carbonation and a light body.

O- Took me a while to finally pull the trigger on this one since the price tag always scared me away. Once I figured out I'd never find it for any less than $15 I went ahead and bought it even while knowing that it had been sitting for months. I'm so glad I took the plunge because this is a Brett-tastic beer that has stood the test of time. Highly recommended if you're a Brettanomyces fiend like me.

A. It has a straw yellow color and its cloudy, you kind of see through. Average white head and little lacing.
S. very bready scent.
T/M. Like the scent it is quite bready, wheaty. Tangy and a bit sour and tart. It has a slight hoppy taste.
O. It is perfect for a summer day, but definitely not worth the $19 price tag.

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is hazy light pale yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down and consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Light to moderate aromas of funky sourness and floral and citrusy hops are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has sourness from the brett along with flavors of grapefruit citrus and a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this beer to be quite drinkable and having a remarkable and interesting balance between bitterness and sourness.

Note: Batch #2, November 2012

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle with thanks to Chris@Slowbeer. Bottled November 2012, so we'll see how that IPA thing works out.

Cloudy pear with a substantial but airy white head that collapses over a couple of minutes sans lace.

Nose starts with a mix of classic lemony Brett sourness and tropical fruit salad. Gets funkier as it warms, doling out big-time urine, sweaty armpits and blue cheese. Even with my rugged preferences the piss thing is hard to embrace.

Strong sour-bitter citrus peel joined by earthy pine and clean spearmint. Hard to unpack where the yeast ends and the hops start. Huge lemon sherbet, but the tropical sweetness makes it very approachable. Excellent.

Feel is light for the ABV, but the hop oils add nice texture. After the initial dry punch it transitions to a 50/50 bitter/tart split that spreads evenly throughout the palate.

Well executed. The Brett dominates but it's hardly surprising given the age on this. That said it's no bad thing as aggressive hopping wouldn't necessarily improve drinkability.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bomber into Brooklyn snifter. November '12, Batch #2

A- Pale straw colored. Fairly clear. Head that quickly subsided.

S- Lots of brett on the nose as expected being a year old. Some leather, barnyard and hay as well. Some pineapple is in there too though. Not sure if that's from the brett of the hops.

T- Def something funky on the palette. I get a little bit of the fruit from the nose but I'm getting a flavor that tastes like band aides. There is certainly some bitterness on the backend from the hops. Not sure how much I like this though. I think I would have liked this 9-10 months ago.

M- Medium bodied

O- Not sure how much I like this though. I think I would have liked this 9-10 months ago when the hops played a larger role. It was worth trying though.

4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Orange-tangerine at 50% saturation (colour is somewhat muted). Fizzy head reduces to a ring pretty quickly.

S: Grassy must, earthy, some orange citrus. Smells not unlike a saison-brett, but without the spicy yeast.

T: Musty tangerine skins breaking to lemon wedges. This does not taste like an IPA with some funk. The brettanomyces are very well integrated, obviously has been given time to properly develop into something else entirely. Think well-executed saison-brett but without the spice, and more citrus character.

M: Mild carbonation which suits the silky mouthfeel.

O: I really enjoyed this, though for the cost of the bottle I don't think I'll revisit. This is a much more elegant beer than I had expected. Great complexity and maturity, you can drink this like a gueuze or nice wine.

4.91/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this IPA. Very easy to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

bomber into a hennepin glass
poured aggressively, leaving a nice thick head that dies down pretty quickly. golden yellow in color. smells excellent, a real saison like smell, very funky. leaves a little IPA-ish aftertaste but overall, very reminiscent of a saison. carbonation is definitely not overkill and the booze is very well hidden. i like this beer a lot and i'd have it again.

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened on 8.3.12.
Brewed at Anchorage Brewing.
Labeled a Farmhouse IPA

A - Pours a cloudy medium orange with a explosive light-tan head that fades slowly.

S - Sweet pine and citrus. Very Nice.

T - Farmhouse funk, bitter pine hops, dank orange.

D - Tons of carbonation with a light to medium body. Nice funky finish.

O - A huge pop opening the bottle. Funky ipa, true the the Anchorage brewing style.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

8.0% confirmed. The style designation is questionable. Is this really an "American IPA"? 1pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Bottle acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood earlier tonight. It's quite a sleek label compared to many of Mikkeller's other brews. I like it. Expectations are fairly high; I'm in the mood for a good Mikkeller brew but the style seems a bit weird. Brewed & Bottled at/by Anchorage brewing.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold. Not paired with food. Consumed on a contented stomach.

All I did was unwind the wire, and the cork popped out nearly instantly with a loud accompanying sound. The cork had enough force it hit the ceiling. Sweet jesus that's overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger head of beige colour, poor thickness, no cream at all, and mediocre retention - though it's acceptable considering the ABV. Colour is a murky hazy orange-gold. No yeast particles are visible. There're ample carbonation bubbles. Non-opaque.

Sm: Citrusy and floral hops are dominant, with an underside of very biscuity yeast. It's also got a sticky oily piney hop character that makes me worry, though. I hope the flavour is more the former and less the latter. Some green apple comes through in a strictly non-cidery kind of way. Clean malts lend it some body. Caramel apple. An average strength aroma.

T/Mf: It's indeed a sort of farmhouse ale meets an IPA. Green/caramel apple bites through in both the first and third acts, coming through quite a bit on the finish and in the brief aftertaste. The yeast is a bit too restrained, but lends a biscuity undertone. Floral and maybe very light citrus notes occupy the early second act and the end of the first act. Structurally, it's rather imbalanced. The flavour is a bit better off. Clean malts form the unassuming foundation, but there's just not enough body to it. It comes off thin and underwhelming, unable to adequately support the flavours. Some interesting sugars are present up front, maybe some candi sugar - again joining with that crisp caramel apple for a pleasant effect. Luckily, the pine is restrained and it's hardly oily at all. It comes off a bit too preserved; it doesn't come off as a fresh brew. Indeed, it's a touch overcarbonated - but not as much as I feared. It's an interesting brew, but its complexity is a bit scattershot. It largely succeeds as a hybrid, but I don't know that it's better than the regular Invasion IPA. Mikkel might have been better off brewing an IPA and a Farmhouse Ale separately.

Dr/Ov: The price tag is rather steep for the quality (I paid around $12.00). As an experimental hybrid, I'd call it a prototypical success. It definitely needs honing, but I always like to see effective experimentation. It could use more of both a yeasty character and a hoppy complexity. Where's the biscuity spicy subtlety of a good farmhouse ale? In any case, it's worth trying. That said, I wouldn't get it again. I could down it all night and never notice the high ABV. It'd make a good session beer (for those of us who know how to drink, not ye panzy 4% I-have-work-tomorrow-types).

B-