Invasion Farmhouse IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Invasion Farmhouse IPAInvasion Farmhouse IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

(Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 08-04-2012)
Reviews by jzeilinger:

SmellsofMahagony, Feb 18, 2013

GreenMountainBoy, Apr 22, 2013

rwilde, Sep 22, 2013
3.01/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is beyond funky the brett is overbearingly bitter and perfumey, however that's what they were going for over the top Farmhouse IPA with brett. Pours a hazed apricot golden orange hue with a white light bubbly head which dissipates rather quickly. Speckled lacing left behind the label is pretty badass with a stack of hops and Mikkeller wallpaper tricoloration. The makeup of the beer is strikingly the similar to some of the other IPAs from Anchorage brewing, minus cumquats and peppercorns. Aroma tart tropical fruits with citric grapefruit peels, funky barnhouse notes, a bit of cat pee, and horse blanket this brew brings the funk. When gulped the floral and citrus perfume notes come to the forefront with a bitter bite that you likely won't forget until you brush your teeth the next day. This is similar in tartness to some of the probiotics on the market with multiple strains of good bacteria, yeast, etc. Maybe this beer will regulate your digestion and cure our IBS. It's hard to detect malt sweetness because of the brett layers, and bittering C-hops utilized this bottle is labeled batch #2 and dated November 2012 and it's been kept refrigerated since it's release. A bit of warming alcohol effects the palate and mid gut, bitter layers of everything mentioned does become cloying and carbonation is trying to carry you through it but fails to do so. Overall a miss beer for me big time, I'm sure there's a market of crazy beer folks out there that would care for this but I'm just not one.

WVbeergeek, May 03, 2013

Bizoneill, Aug 29, 2013

acurtis, Aug 18, 2013

PopGun, May 19, 2013

mdaschaf, Jun 27, 2013

mjstacker, Aug 20, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml cork-finished bottle, served in a tulip.

Pours a hazy copper-orange beneath a billowy, short-lived head. Little to no lacing.

When I popped the cork, a genie-like cloud of lemon, pine, and band-aid aromas burst forth from the bottle. Once poured, a honeyish sweetness and a touch of grapefruit joined the party.

First taste was tart, juicy lemon with a hint of apricot, a touch of malty sweetness, and substantial brett funk. As the beer warmed, the brett mellowed and melded more into a backbone of sweet grains and fruit flavors: peach, mango, more lemon, tangerine, and grapefruit. I took about an hour to sip my tulip, and the more the beer developed, the more I liked it. I felt this was a nearly perfect blend of sweet/funky/bitter.

At first, a generous carbonation drove this beer a bit roughly over my tongue. As I sipped and the bubbles escaped, the mouthfeel became a bit smoother, and I wouldn't say either was better than the other – I liked it both ways.

Overall, I found this beer to be delicious. In fact, I called it my “first best” beer of 2013. It's complex and flavorful, and in my opinion, comes together well. Strongly recommended to folks who like a healthy dose of brett in their beer.

1/1

beerophilia, Jan 28, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a very bright golden color. Very witish. The head is soapy and settles into a sparse cap.

The aroma is hoppy fo sure. Nice mix of fresh floral and grassy hop. Good citrus fruit and herbal note. There is some tartness and lemon from the yeast. Unfortunately resembles cat pee. It's odd but once I figured it out its not so bad.

The flavor is tart and crisp. Light sour funk mixes well with a spicy Belgian yeast. Fresh grassy hop brings the IPA to the table. Definitely a Belgian IPA with European hops. It's light and refreshing.

The feel is light with plenty of active carbonation. Tart and bitter on the palate but works well. Great beer before a meal.

A good tart Belgian IPA. The Brett shines and the others keep up. Unique.

Gmann, Jun 24, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

Based on the other reviews, my opinion differs so much that I feel compelled to review.

Pours golden orange with a gigantic white head. Decent looking but so carbonated that must pour with great care or you get nothing but head. (No comments).

Nose is very fruity mixed with funk and not well integrated. There is something "off" with the nose. I love brett in the nose and mouth. This is brett "gone wrong." The smell is almost olive/smoke and simply a bit off putting.

Mouthfeel is way over carbonated and thus way too fizzy and bubbly in the mouth, along with the beer being far out of balance and without integration of flavors, weird as they are. Mouthfeel is just also "off" and not at all inviting.

Flavors are simply also off putting. I'm a bit distressed at my reaction having read the other reviews. I almost feel like I've tasted a different beer. For some reason that I can't pinpoint, I, like others I think, "want" to like Mikkeller. Here, it's simply bad beer in my opinion. The flavor profile is like malt with olives with brett with stale grass with rotten vegetables. In fact, to me, that was the overwhelming flavor - sort of the beginning of rotten food.

Finish follows flavor and, all in all, I have no need to try this one again. I'm a fan of Mikkeller's crazy stuff and even if I don't like one the Mikkeller brews, I usually respect the effort.

Sorry, this one is just not good. JMO

GRG1313, Oct 17, 2012

sunofneurot, Oct 12, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Burley Oak snifter (Batch #2 NOV/12)

A: Opaque blonde hay color.

S: Lots of farmhouse, funk and pine. The brett complicates the notes a lot. Light grapefruit.

T: I might have preferred the fresh brett-less version. It is a bit watery towards the end. This was probably much better a year ago. Lots of farmhouse and yeasty funkness. Faintly tart with an old hop pine taste. Not too much to my liking. I wish it was either a lot hoppier or more bitter/tart.

M: Bubbly but overall pretty smooth.

O: I wish there was a bigger body with bolder flavors here. It was all kind of muted. However, I thought with the Brett, that the hops might last longer (silly), but it's not like I had been aging it. I only got it like a month ago.

gillagorilla, Oct 08, 2013

Boozecamel, Jan 12, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml caged and corked bottle, Batch #2, bottled November 2012. Served in a Unibroue tulip, the beer pours a hazy straw gold color with a couple inch frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is very nice, the brew smells like grassy and citrusy (mango, lemon peel, grapefruit) hops, funk, white grapes and bready malt. It tastes like citrusy (tropical fruit, lemon peel, grapefruit) and grassy hops, brett, apricots, and some herbal/floralness. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and creamy, and is well carbonated. I think it's a good brew, and definitely worth a try. $13.99 a bottle.

bluejacket74, Apr 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Rutager, Mar 10, 2014
4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy straw color with a quickly fading white head that leaves almost no lacing.

Smells of big funky and grassy notes with some fruit undertones.

Tastes of the big funky notes with earthiness and fruits on top. Funk leads off with grass and hay notes. Fruits come through and add some sour apple along with pears and white grapes. Citrus also comes through and adds to the fruitiness. A bit of bready malt comes through and adds body. Ends with an earthy spice that rounds out the entire profile.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a frothy amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is quite tasty and I am glad I grabbed a bottle.

ocelot2500, Apr 14, 2013

itracy63, Sep 02, 2014

jessicapreuss, Apr 25, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

griffeyb, May 27, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked this up tonight at the Boise COOP for $14... Cheaper than any other place in town.

Pours a very hazy pale straw golden... fizzy white head dies back quickly.. light spott lacing.

Whoa... the nose is plenty hoppy.. but very buggy.. brett is big lemony essence.. grassy and some barnyard... "Farmhouse" for sure.. piney hops grow with warmth so does the brett.

Dry and dusty brett is the big player here... citrus and spicy notes play well.. green apple skin tartness... a heavy pine hoppiness is the finish almost like pine branches. Dry brett finish just lingers forever.

Very interesting.. huge carbonation and the expected body... but I doubt I will buy this again.. "one and done"... glad I got the chance, but the quality just did not make me think I want another big purchase.

3.5/3.75/4/4/4

JohnGalt1, Jul 29, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: into a tulip, hazy gold straw with a few fingers of fluffy white foam

S: lots of hops, pushing aromas of flowery fields, citric yet bitter fruit, and some of that brett funkiness

T: this is much more of a saison than an IPA, with lots of saison-tastes only accentuated by the use of brettanomyces - there is some "horse blanket" (lol) funk, dark grapefruits, and medicinal herbs; the malts are soft and pale, lending faint suggestions of toasted grain and watery honey-lemon sweetness

M: light, fuzzy, crisp, tart, bittering, wet to tacky

O: this beer is gonna catch some IPA lovers off-guard - I personally enjoy IPAs, Saisons, and Pale Belgians equally - so this beer was just great across the boards.

Greywulfken, Jun 20, 2013