Invasion Farmhouse IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Invasion Farmhouse IPAInvasion Farmhouse IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

(Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 08-04-2012)
2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

Based on the other reviews, my opinion differs so much that I feel compelled to review.

Pours golden orange with a gigantic white head. Decent looking but so carbonated that must pour with great care or you get nothing but head. (No comments).

Nose is very fruity mixed with funk and not well integrated. There is something "off" with the nose. I love brett in the nose and mouth. This is brett "gone wrong." The smell is almost olive/smoke and simply a bit off putting.

Mouthfeel is way over carbonated and thus way too fizzy and bubbly in the mouth, along with the beer being far out of balance and without integration of flavors, weird as they are. Mouthfeel is just also "off" and not at all inviting.

Flavors are simply also off putting. I'm a bit distressed at my reaction having read the other reviews. I almost feel like I've tasted a different beer. For some reason that I can't pinpoint, I, like others I think, "want" to like Mikkeller. Here, it's simply bad beer in my opinion. The flavor profile is like malt with olives with brett with stale grass with rotten vegetables. In fact, to me, that was the overwhelming flavor - sort of the beginning of rotten food.

Finish follows flavor and, all in all, I have no need to try this one again. I'm a fan of Mikkeller's crazy stuff and even if I don't like one the Mikkeller brews, I usually respect the effort.

Sorry, this one is just not good. JMO

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

750ml bottle purchased at HF (~2 weeks ago). Poured into Lawson's tulip. Brewed and bottled at Anchorage Brewing Co. IPA bottled with brett.

A- Cork easily pops off resulting in a little bit of a gusher. First thing that was noticeable was how foamy this beer was with a large yellowish brown head with very large bubbles that slowly receded as the bubbles popped leaving interesting spidery lacing. One of the foamiest beers I've encountered. Liquid is yellowish brown copper with a ton of consistently rising small carbonation bubbles- definitely very carbonated.

S- Lemony hops mixed with slightly funky brett and a tiny bit of plastic in the background. Slightly above average aroma strength. Brett and hops seem to clash a little bit.

T- Lemony hops followed by a weird plasticy watery brett taste that had a little bit of funk that clashed with the lemony hops. Finishes with a sweet malty taste that lingers with a light hop taste. Taste is definitely kind of off putting and kind of artificial tasting.

M- Very carbonated- way too much so, fairly light bodied.

O- I definitely did not really care for this beer at all. There was definitely a brett presence that contributed a little bit of a funky presence which clashed with the lemony hops. There was also a weird plastic presence to it that was not that pleasant and kind of ruined the beer for me. The only positive comment I have is that it was definitely better then their coffee IPA. Overall I would not recommend this beer and I'm definitely not going to try it again (as it is I had to pour the bottle out after half a glass).

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.91/5  rDev -24.8%

3.01/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is beyond funky the brett is overbearingly bitter and perfumey, however that's what they were going for over the top Farmhouse IPA with brett. Pours a hazed apricot golden orange hue with a white light bubbly head which dissipates rather quickly. Speckled lacing left behind the label is pretty badass with a stack of hops and Mikkeller wallpaper tricoloration. The makeup of the beer is strikingly the similar to some of the other IPAs from Anchorage brewing, minus cumquats and peppercorns. Aroma tart tropical fruits with citric grapefruit peels, funky barnhouse notes, a bit of cat pee, and horse blanket this brew brings the funk. When gulped the floral and citrus perfume notes come to the forefront with a bitter bite that you likely won't forget until you brush your teeth the next day. This is similar in tartness to some of the probiotics on the market with multiple strains of good bacteria, yeast, etc. Maybe this beer will regulate your digestion and cure our IBS. It's hard to detect malt sweetness because of the brett layers, and bittering C-hops utilized this bottle is labeled batch #2 and dated November 2012 and it's been kept refrigerated since it's release. A bit of warming alcohol effects the palate and mid gut, bitter layers of everything mentioned does become cloying and carbonation is trying to carry you through it but fails to do so. Overall a miss beer for me big time, I'm sure there's a market of crazy beer folks out there that would care for this but I'm just not one.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance is a very murky, burnt gold with a light tan head, big bubbled, leaving light, foamy lace. Quick to dissipate though, it leaves an unattractive, poorly brewed tea look.

Smell is almost all brett. It accentuates the hops, which are aggressively there, but very resinous, earthy. Any dry-hopping is gone, and its far from the west coast citrus flutters, which die a valiant death as it warms (but at least RSVP).

Taste is also heavy on the brett, bitter and dry. More sour grapefruit than pine tar from the hops. Brash.

Mouthfeel is oily and medium bodied.

Drinkability is not super high for me, this is disjointed, a character of the styles. Lacking the nuance of the ABC beers, as well as the fresh brightness of our finest IPAs...the lingering sour bitterness reminds me of an over-exuberant rookie barista trying to show off...

3.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bomber into Brooklyn snifter. November '12, Batch #2

A- Pale straw colored. Fairly clear. Head that quickly subsided.

S- Lots of brett on the nose as expected being a year old. Some leather, barnyard and hay as well. Some pineapple is in there too though. Not sure if that's from the brett of the hops.

T- Def something funky on the palette. I get a little bit of the fruit from the nose but I'm getting a flavor that tastes like band aides. There is certainly some bitterness on the backend from the hops. Not sure how much I like this though. I think I would have liked this 9-10 months ago.

M- Medium bodied

O- Not sure how much I like this though. I think I would have liked this 9-10 months ago when the hops played a larger role. It was worth trying though.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

8.0% confirmed. The style designation is questionable. Is this really an "American IPA"? 1pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Bottle acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood earlier tonight. It's quite a sleek label compared to many of Mikkeller's other brews. I like it. Expectations are fairly high; I'm in the mood for a good Mikkeller brew but the style seems a bit weird. Brewed & Bottled at/by Anchorage brewing.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold. Not paired with food. Consumed on a contented stomach.

All I did was unwind the wire, and the cork popped out nearly instantly with a loud accompanying sound. The cork had enough force it hit the ceiling. Sweet jesus that's overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger head of beige colour, poor thickness, no cream at all, and mediocre retention - though it's acceptable considering the ABV. Colour is a murky hazy orange-gold. No yeast particles are visible. There're ample carbonation bubbles. Non-opaque.

Sm: Citrusy and floral hops are dominant, with an underside of very biscuity yeast. It's also got a sticky oily piney hop character that makes me worry, though. I hope the flavour is more the former and less the latter. Some green apple comes through in a strictly non-cidery kind of way. Clean malts lend it some body. Caramel apple. An average strength aroma.

T/Mf: It's indeed a sort of farmhouse ale meets an IPA. Green/caramel apple bites through in both the first and third acts, coming through quite a bit on the finish and in the brief aftertaste. The yeast is a bit too restrained, but lends a biscuity undertone. Floral and maybe very light citrus notes occupy the early second act and the end of the first act. Structurally, it's rather imbalanced. The flavour is a bit better off. Clean malts form the unassuming foundation, but there's just not enough body to it. It comes off thin and underwhelming, unable to adequately support the flavours. Some interesting sugars are present up front, maybe some candi sugar - again joining with that crisp caramel apple for a pleasant effect. Luckily, the pine is restrained and it's hardly oily at all. It comes off a bit too preserved; it doesn't come off as a fresh brew. Indeed, it's a touch overcarbonated - but not as much as I feared. It's an interesting brew, but its complexity is a bit scattershot. It largely succeeds as a hybrid, but I don't know that it's better than the regular Invasion IPA. Mikkel might have been better off brewing an IPA and a Farmhouse Ale separately.

Dr/Ov: The price tag is rather steep for the quality (I paid around $12.00). As an experimental hybrid, I'd call it a prototypical success. It definitely needs honing, but I always like to see effective experimentation. It could use more of both a yeasty character and a hoppy complexity. Where's the biscuity spicy subtlety of a good farmhouse ale? In any case, it's worth trying. That said, I wouldn't get it again. I could down it all night and never notice the high ABV. It'd make a good session beer (for those of us who know how to drink, not ye panzy 4% I-have-work-tomorrow-types).

B-

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%