Beer Geek Vanilla Shake - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Vanilla ShakeBeer Geek Vanilla Shake

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Vanilla Shake it is newest member of the great Beer Geek family. Oatmeal stout with coffee, and lots of vanilla.

(Beer added by: Rollzroyce21 on 08-15-2013)

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

After putting off drinking this (out of fear of excessive sweetness) on my own, eventually I had the chance to visit some fellow beer geeks and decided it was time to give this ago. I do love the Brunch Weasel and Hop Breakfast variants in this series and, indeed, they compose, along with the Spontaneous series, among my favorite offerings so far by Mikkeller. Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

When I thought Brunch Weasel poured thick and creamy, this was pretty much pure syrup by comparison. Pours like petrol oil, with hardly any carbonation except for a mild dark mocha head that quickly dissipates. No light shines through this and the beer practically stains the glass with each and every swirl. Unbelievably ridiculous, and while I'm hoping for some roasted notes like the other Beer Geek offerings, I had a feeling this was going to be sweeter than we perhaps were prepared for.

Yeah, there's no distinct roasted notes on the nose here - only extreme sweetness imparted by the hefty dark malt profile and the inclusion of vanilla beans alike. Big notes of sweet milk chocolate, fudge, light coffee, and tons of lightly burnt and caramelized sugars of sorts - this is pretty much like ST's Crème Brûlée except a little less sweeter, somehow. Maybe because the malt profile is only roasted enough? Can't get past the intense vanilla, butterscotch, and toffee at first. It's really too much, and the alcohol actually increases the sweetness. It's amazingly hedonistic and decadent, but it's perhaps a little too much than what the casual dessert beer drinker would actually want.

What a magnificent surprise that the flavor is, however - yes, it's goddamn sweet, but holy hell is it complex! I simply expected a sweet malt syrup/burnt vanilla combo here, but there is so much more going as the beer crosses the palate. At first there's some light notes of dark fruits, such as dark cherries (or cherry pits) with molasses, as well as a rich truffle-like dark chocolate and caramel texture. Then, the vanilla explodes everywhere, delivering a experience akin to eating a spoonful of crème brûlée on steroids. The aftertaste keeps on giving, revealing notes of maple syrup, fudge, as well as a bready baked malt character that reminds me of Bourbon maple malted waffles, for those of us who have been lucky enough to have it. My friends, suffice to say, could not finish their glass, but I downed mine like a trooper. It's very syrupy and boozy, with the alcohol and extra residual sugars knocking you across the face with each sip, but luckily there's a plethora of flavors and some decent carbonation that prevents it from reaching into Dark Lord territory, or something scarily similar. A real treat!

Definitely not something you can practically consume, however, but the experience is quite unique, even in the realm of dessert beers. The flavor utterly blew me away, and luckily all other aspects of the beer are pretty decent overall. I'd probably get sick if I had a bottle to myself, but I'll definitely try this again next time I get the chance. I'll stick to 3oz pours next time, though!

4.75/5  rDev +11%