Cisk XS Extra Lager - Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc.

Cisk XS Extra LagerCisk XS Extra Lager

poor

Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc. visit their website
Malta

Euro Strong Lager |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rockwell on 08-17-2008)
Reviews by coldmeat23:
1.02/5  rDev -50%

GLASS: Pokal Glass
TEMP: Chilled to Approx 40 degrees

Very light yellow colored liquid. Like honey water (not in a good way). Only slightly more yellow color than your average BMC product. Good two-finger white foamy head that leaves a thin film on top with no lacing.
Not very appealing looking, actually.

Sweet sugarey band-aids mixed with artificial fruit flavoring dominate the nose. Smells similar to RedBull, really. Very slight malt scent is detected.

Oh my god, it's foul. Imagine if you gave someone a tumbler of tequila and RedBull (why?), on ice, then put out two or three cigarettes in it and let it sit on the counter until the next morning. Upon waking, your hungover self blindly grabs that glass and takes a drink. This beer tastes like that.

Thick and putrid. Honestly, it's that bad.

Stay away! Don't do it! Save Yourself!
I picked this beer up because of it's origin, geographically, which is Malta. Never heard anything about their beer making skills. Now I know why.
Avoid at all costs.

coldmeat23, Oct 28, 2008
3.03/5  rDev +48.5%

This is an interesting brew, from Malta, a small Island off of Italy that used to be controlled by the British. This is there version of a strong lager, and this is a good example how the Euro Strong lager and British influence combine to make a interesting brew.

This is a pale yellow, and crystal body. The smell is sweet, with a nice hop bitterness.

The taste is crisp, almost like a good Euro Lager with more abv.

Not the best beer ever, but decent. I really don't know why it got so many bad reviews. This is a pretty good beer, much better than a D or F.

StevenBilodeau, Jul 07, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours into a pint glass with a hazy deep yellow color. Thin white head disapates quickly leaving more scum than lace behind.

Aroma is sweet and grainy like canned corn.

Flavor is also on the sweet side. Like many a macro it's mostly corn or rice from what I can tell. It has an awful grain alcohol heat to it almost like a shot of cheap vodka was added.

Mouthfeel is pretty bad too with medium body, alcohol burn, and too much carbonation. Drinkability is poor. I wouldn't be looking for another even if it was free.

GilGarp, May 02, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours out a nice yellowy-orange color with a bit of head, deceiving me into thinking this could be a good find.

However, upon smelling, all I get is a grainy alcohol smell with perhaps a bit of sweetness. I think, "this beer is 9% abv, so I guess I can accept that", but have a feeling this could be a bad omen.

The taste is really not enjoyable. I've had plenty of stronger beers, but none of them tasted like alcohol as much as this. Really overpowers any of the light sweetness in the flavor.

Again, the alcohol dominance didn't really help the mouthfeel.

I would not drink another one unless someone paid me to. I'm not really familiar with the Euro Strong Lager style so I'm not sure if it's an acquired taste, but I don't think I'll be acquiring it any time soon.

ekmoody, Jan 14, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -9.3%

I was absolutely not impressed. I'm not sure if the beer I drank was skunk or if it tastes like that when it is fresh. I, like many others I am sure, thought it would be at least a decent buy because of brewery location but I was so wrong. Waste of my money and time. I would almost rather be drinking a macrobrew.

Appearance was flat with very little lace to the glass. There wasnt much of a smell but if I had to describe it, I would say rubbing alcohol. Not a smooth tasting brew at all. Mouth feel was about average with a good amount of carbonation.

bretttf, Feb 07, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: It's very clear and a lighter gold color. It has a foamy white head that maybe reaches a finger deep. It receded pretty quickly and left an average lacing behind. Very average.

Smell: It's very sweet smelling up front. There's some earthy/grainy notes. Smells a tad vegetal. I'm definitely picking up a slight big of corn. Alcohol comes through very strong. At 9%, I expected that to some degree. But, it's more prevalent than it should be.

Taste: Mother of God. Someone needs to head down to Malta and teach those doods how to brew some beer. Wow. This is one sweet and sugary brew. There's some light fruity notes (pear and apple mostly). Light caramel/toffee flavors add more sweetness. It is grainy and earthy. There's a light vegetal, corn-like flavor. Alcohol is very prevalent and downright hot. It's offensive. Finishes very hot.

Mouthfee/Drinkability: It's close to being thick. Carbonation feels pretty light. It's not smooth, but it's not bad. This is probably its strength (if you want to call it that). Drinkability is poor. The flavor is not good and it's way too hot. There's nothing to really enjoy here.

I picked up this beer a few days ago out of curiosity. I was told it was bad. It's actually worse than I expected. I can't pick out a flaw here or there to pick on. It needs so much work all across the board. I wouldn't recommend it. Well, maybe if you're looking for a beer from Malta. But, there's got to be a better one than this, right?

prototypic, Mar 13, 2009
1.05/5  rDev -48.5%

This is by far the worst beer I have ever tasted. To be honest, I couldn't give you an accurate review because the beer upset my gag reflex and I could not get past the second sip. All I remember was pure torment.

The smell was putrid and grainy and it had a rough alcohol taste.

I wish I could give it a zero in all categories (except appearance) because it was truly the most offensive liquid I have ever drank.

Farrell, Oct 30, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +55.9%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of fruits, some alcohol. Taste is dominated by alcohol, a bit of grains and malts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent brew, but nothing special.

tone77, Sep 27, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Much like the original lager, poured a crystal clear, golden-orange with a frothy, paper white head that was 2 fingers high and displayed a very good retention rate. Visible carbonation was light, while the lacing left a thin, film sheeting behind.

S: The nose yielded fresh corn on the cob, fresh grains, with some dried hay and sweet corn fructose. Overall found this to be rather uneventful when compared to their cisk lager which was more aromatic and hoppier. This was average at best with some corn liquor detection.

T: The flavor was overly sweet with some sweet corn, green corn stalks and a medicinal taste that was hard to describe, reminded me of walking down a sterile hospital hall. Some sour bittering with fermented fruit which tasted more like some prison hooch. Overall no real flavor just corn meal and alcohol.

M: slick, very oily and was light bodied leaving a sour corny finish.

D: Drinkability was not good as to be expected. Didn't really care to finish this one and was a struggle to justify why. A huge disappointment when compared to its original lager which was more hoppy, grainy, and flavorful, this one came off as cheap corn/malt liquor and comes with a non recommend and a cheers to their original lager.

beerthulhu, Mar 05, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -9.3%

I found this single, 33Oml brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.99, so this is not a cheap beer as that price comes out to $12 a 6 pack. The freshness date on the back label says May 9th of 2O1O and this is already July of 2O1O, so I realize I am reviewing an out of date bottle.

The beer poured a hazy yellowish/orange color and made a 1 finger fizzy white head that disappeared in under 3O seconds. There was very little lacing present.

Sweet grainy smell mixed with alcohol, and call me crazy, but I'm also getting a trace of fruit - perhaps orange.

This beer has an odd taste. Very sweet malt and grains steeped in alcohol. I can't get the alcohol off my tongue. I don't know if there are citrus hops in here, but there is some underlying orange flavoring to this as well, but overall it is NOT a tasty beer. It's an alcoholic mess.

There's enough sugary sweetness in here to make it medium to full bodied, but even the relatively high carbonation cannot cut through the heavy amount of alcohol. Alcohol coats the tongue and leaves a nasty sweet alcoholic aftertaste.

Not a very drinkable beer, but it will at least give you a buzz with just one.

matjack85, Jul 22, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +22.5%

Jerseyislandbeer, Aug 03, 2014
1.38/5  rDev -32.4%

A brew from the fine Mediterranean island country of Malta, eh? 12 oz bottle with a best before stamp of Feb 10. Pours a clear, medium gold color with a pretty nice cap of white foam that lasts pretty long for a Euro Lager. Leaves some decent lacing as well.

Smell is nose-wrinklingly bad. Smells like a homeless skunk living under the overpass that just drank a fifth of cheap vodka and shat all over himself. Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but I do ask myself: Dare I take a sip? Smells so damn boozy with corn-syrup cloying sweetness.

Whew...those poor, poor Maltanian bastards! This stuff is wicked bad. Imagine a 40 oz of malt liquor boiled down to about 12 oz, becoming the consistency of thin syrup and adding 3 ounces of grain alcohol...that is pretty much what this tastes like. Sweetness is ridiculously cloying and the beer is viscous as hell feeling in the mouth. Avoid at all costs unless you are a glutton for punishment. Am I going to finish this bitch? Maybe, but only because I had to buy two of these MFers cause the first one exploded in my freezer.

twiggamortis420, Feb 25, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +87.7%

Nose is grainy with very soft noble hops. Smells okay.

Pours a medium yellow, good clarity, mild creamy head with lasting retention. Looks pretty good.s

Creamy malty, sweet, tart, and a little bitter. Soft, sweet malt makes a great flavor for the smooth, creamy body that lends itself to nice carbonation. Grainy and toasty with biscuit and nut tones; warm and inviting. Somewhat tart/sour noble hops add a little grounding and then almost disappear. There's a little hop flavor - clean, flowery, and earthy/herbal. Finishes fairly clean, slight nutty malt, just slight. Tastes good. Feels very good. Good drinkability.

I don't know what beer the rest of yall reviewed, but this is quite pleasant.

MrHungryMonkey, Jun 02, 2009
1.55/5  rDev -24%

Poured into an American pint glass, this beer is a very pale, quite clear straw-gold color, with a substantial 2-finger head on top. The nose is quite grainy, with a little hint of solvent. Ugh, an extremely sweet, nearly cloyingly sweet beer, with no hint of anything hoppy, together with medicinal, very harsh alcohol. Thin-bodied and watery, and nearly undrinkable. I couldn't finish a single glass--I'll have to find someone to give this away to.

allengarvin, Mar 15, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Pours crystal clear and light gold. Head is pure white and tops out at around half inch. Retention is average. A fairly healthy amount of lace clings to the sides of the glass. Not a bad looking brew. Looks refreshing overall.

S - Sweeter malt aromas are first to radiate from this one. Some honey here, some pale malt there. Not cloying but I can already tell this beer could be very sweet. Alot of graininess pushes through about midway. Hot alcohol finishes things off.

T - Sweet and hot. Pale malt, honey, sugar, and more pale malt kind of get shoved on to the palate by a burning alcohol flavor. Just a hint of apple combines with the sweetness but that is just not even close to enough to bring balance. Big grainy flavors are present but still can't balance the flavor too well.

M - On the fuller side of medium bodied with light carbonation that seems to work well with the brew. Finish is hot and sweet while staying clean.

D - Drinkability is really not looking good for this brew. Too sweet and too hot. It would be best to just start all over with this brew. Take it back to the drawing board and start tweaking until something a little better wass produced. Not recommended at all.

csmiley, Feb 26, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Sampled side by side with regular Cisk Lager. A very light yellow/golden colored beer with a small white colored head, nearly identical in appearance to the regular Cisk Lager. Nose has more complexity than the regular Cisk, with similar notes as the regular Cisk, but also some light notes of caramel and fruit. Flavor isn't enjoyable, but has some nice malt elements of caramel and toffee. Suprisingly decent. Still not drinkable for me, but it's an ok beer. If I were desperate I could drink this.

Crosling, Aug 23, 2008
2.23/5  rDev +9.3%

**Performed blind tasting**

Appearance- Light golden straw color with a very thing white head.
Smell - Smells sweet, with hints of corn and alcohol aroma
Taste - Sweet pale malts, corn, and alcohol - tastes like an American malt liquor.
Mouthfeel - too thin and pale to mask the high alcohol.

Overall - Might as well drink a steel reserve.

zander4dawin, Aug 19, 2011
2.13/5  rDev +4.4%

Bright goldenrod (almost orange) with a few tiny flakes being buffeted about by a few tiny bubble streams. Either the beer isn't filtered or the filter didn't have very small pores. The cream colored crown looks pretty good. It's richly creamy and is doing a bang-up job with lace, especially considering the ABV and the probable lack of hops.

The nose is similar to the nose on every other Euro strong lager on the face of the earth. It features vodka-soaked grain with a side order of noble hops. A very small side order. Maybe it's the American in me, but malt liquor smells and tastes better than most ESLs.

I've had worse. Less jet fuel flavor and more... uh... anything else would have been an improvement. This is far from refined beer, but then I knew that going in. It has an odd sort of charm if you like high-octane lagers that numb the tongue. I can't imagine that applies to many beer drinkers... who don't live on skid row.

If you've had any of the Euro strong lagers from Eastern Europe, then you already know what Cisk Extra Lager tastes like. Think pale malt and grass steeped in grain alcohol, then cut with mineral water. Moderate sweetness and moderate bitterness keep things moderately uninteresting to the end.

The mouthfeel isn't horrible if you like them on the full and quiet side. A lingering slickness is kept from being stickiness by the solvent quality of the ethanol. No one drinks this stuff for the mouthfeel anyway. They drink it for the brainfeel.

Cisk XS is my second Maltese beer and is my second lousy Maltese beer. On the positive side, after two or three bottles, the rest should go down pretty easily. If you decide to take the plunge and buy a bottle (not recommended), don't forget the brown paper bag.

BuckeyeNation, Jun 17, 2009
Cisk XS Extra Lager from Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc.