Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lacto Traditional Stout Beer - Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc.

Lacto Traditional Stout BeerLacto Traditional Stout Beer

Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc. visit their website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  3.80% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 04-19-2003

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

L: Pours dark brown without much of a head.
S: the nose is not big – it offers up some molasses and dark fruit.
T: It has a big fruity, moderately palate with prune, plum, and faint dark malts. No harsh roast flavors, chocolate and coffee character is muted.
F: medium to a little above on the body, low to medium low carbonation.
O: A small beer that is easy to drink. Nott great but better than I expected.

2.4/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I only saw this beer at the stores in Malta. Poured from the freshness dated bottle into a Cisk glass, the beer is dark brown with a quickly collapsing tan head.

It has an aroma of toasted malts and something like cooked green beans.

The taste leads with overly sweet roasted malts but that vegetal taste hovers in the background throughout the beer and really distracts from it. It was well within the date code, so I’m not sure what is going on.

If I ever return to Malta, I would try it on tap just to see if that would improve the beer.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a black color with no head to speak of. Aroma of malt, dark fruit, and a bit of caramel sweetness. Taste of malt, some dark fruit, bit of caramel with a hint of chocolate. Very light bitterness and a pretty dry finish. Light body, smooth, but short on character. Decent beer but not what I look for in a Stout.

2.61/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a clear but opaque very dark brown (almost black) with minimal amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the surface of the beer and cola brown highlights. The beer has almost no head when poured, just a very thin light tan film that quickly reduces to a very thin partial ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of dark roasted malts and soy sauce.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate amount of roasted dark malts with a bit of bitterness to them and it is followed by notes of soy sauce. There is a light to moderate metallic flavor, similar to copper (like when you get a cut inside your mouth).

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: I was really disappointed in the smell of this beer, I have an expectation of that sweetness in a milk stout and this beer completely lacks it. The beer lacks the sweetness that I have come to expect for a milk stout and a thin watery mouthfeel. Overall, this is not a very enjoyable brew and I would suggest avoiding it.

2.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is essentially jet black in color—slight traces of dark red are visible near the edge of the glass when it is held up to a bright light. It poured with a thin tan head that quickly died down and left a collar of medium-sized bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of lactose and chocolate sauce are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some slight bits of sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and thin on the palate with a low amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but seems rather weak for a milk stout, particularly with its lactose aromas and flavors.

3.21/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours a very dark brown, appearing nearly black in the glass. Brief thin brown head dissipated to a thin ring around the glass that left wisps of lacing. Odd aroma of sweet dark malt, soy sauce and light molasses. Flavor is very light sweet toasted malt, light lactose with hints of chocolate. A light cardboard flavor as found in slightly overaged stouts (and who knows if this is because the bottle is old or a character of the beer). Light bodied. Actually not too bad tasting, but thin, like a good milk stout that has been watered down about 3 to 1. Not sure where the hate is coming from for this; it's not a world class milk stout, but does state that it's 3.8%, so the light flavor is expected. I enjoyed this well enough with my lunch. Not that great, but a drinkable very light milk stout. A relatively painless way to tick Malta and not a bad alternative to bland Euro light beers common in small countries.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

330mL bottle, no date.

appears a very dark brown color, no head. almost black. smells a bit like sweet flat cola. molasses too. neither off-putting nor appetizing. just kinda weird. taste is a bit raisiny. tastes artificially sweetened, but then has a drier finish with some soy sauce flavor. body is not thick, but still very sticky,. very low carbonation level.

overall - cool to try a beer from Malta, but wouldn't drink this again.

1.19/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Look, this was likely the worst beer I've ever had. I'd rather drink a Keystone Ice and that says a lot.

Smell...smells sour. Tastes sour. No flavor. Just disappointment. Felt watery. No head. I was hoping for something like 2X Milk Stout by Southern Tier, which is amazing. The best part of the beer was that it still looked like a beer and didn't make me vomit.

I don't plan on writing many reviews for beers here, but couldn't resist the urge to warn you to avoid this one at all costs. What a disappointment.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

Strange beer for sure. Poured thin and dark. Bubbles lined the rim. Smell was sour, almost vinegar. We searched for flavor and found. None. A very odd beer light and flavorless. This beer reminds me of a cross between a balsamic vinegar and a Good Stout..with a coffee bean drug through the sludge. CHEERZ

2.11/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours an opaque black with a dark khaki head that settles to wisps on film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, soy sauce, and an aroma of red wine/port that went bad. Taste is slightly sour with the red wine/port flavor being the most prominent. This beer has a very low amount of carbonation with an almost flat and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer with some bad aromas and flavors that equate to a drain pour.

2.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Don't remember where I got this, but I think I may smell bad beer review time... When it says right on it "caramel color added" you know you're in for something special.

Pours dark black color but still somehow watery and thin looking on the edges, with a dark colored think fizzy quick fading head. It has that burnt cola color, wait, that's probably exactly what it is.

Nose, holy frig, it's as if the bad breweries of Mexico all got together and made cola milk, then forgot about it for months in the sun and heat. It oozes with fake sweeteners, extracts and adjuncts, with just the right amount of skunky lager. A light cola syrup, with sweet lactose and a bit of powdered over roasted cocoa. Wait... is that coffee? Yes actually, but not in the normal sense, it's more like coffee wafting from the floor of the men's room at Starbucks.

Taste hits right off with chocolate water and powedered milk, the kind my Depression era grandmother used to make that I would pour down the sink when she wasn't looking, which is where I'm guessing this is headed. It somehow stays chalky despite the lactose, with a hint of curdled cream and baby spit. Again more of the cheap macro lager like skunk and fake sugars. It does have some cola taste, but more like cola coming back up. A touch of roast gives a burnt coffee chew to it as well. Finish is, I wish non-existant, but instead a light bitter metallic twinge and more old cola and bark from a fermented tree or something. Oh, there's also a moldy bread taste, which actually seems to help a bit, reminds me a bit of a Kvass in that sense.

Mouth is thin and watery, yet somehow a weird powdered chalky creamy feel, and little carbonation, which is unfortunate as my tongue could use as many breaks as it could get.

Overall, well, have you ever backed your car over your foot accidentally... well it's kinda like that, except replace car with steam roller, and foot with tongue, and everything else with horse bile and you get a similar experience.

Thank GOD that review is over, cause now I can dump the beer, and what's left of my taste buds that I can still taste.

1.48/5  rDev -47%

Bought this on a whim...no date

Pouts jets black with barely any head. Big dark brown bubbles on the outside. The ittiest bit of lacing.
Aroma is of sweet malt smell that is barely there. A bit of laundry detergent as well
Starts creamy and then has a medicinal character. More basic sweetness with water. The slightest bit of roasted and chocolate malt. Quite terrible from start to finish. It taste like I'm drinking iodophor.
The best part of this beer is the mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth, velvet like feeling. Light body. Low carbonation is very nice.

An awful beer besides the mouthfeel. The brewers should come to America and learn how to make flavorful low alcohol beers. I'm pissed I wasted 2.49 on this brew...drain pour city, maybe the sink will like it more

3.7/5  rDev +32.6%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a brown/tan head, solid lace and head retention.

S: Roast and brown sugar, caramel candy.

T: Lactose, malted milk balls, quite sweet with a light roast backbone.

M: Light-bodied, creamy, crisp carbonation, easy drinking.

O: An interesting effort, it certainly has a distinct flavour, perhaps a bit too sweet in the end, but an enjoyable example of the style.

3.15/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours dark walnut, but is essentially black, in a tulip glass. A dark, velvety chestnut head turns shiny and rocky before quickly fading to a ring. There is a minimal, syrupy lace and overall the appearance is quite odd.

Has an aroma filled with rich roasted malt and molasses, followed by coffee and bittersweet chocolate. With warmth, the aroma turns acrid.

The flavor is overly sweet with malted chocolate and brown sugar. This one is fairly one-dimensional through a modest, sweet finish.

Has a medium to full body with an odd texture akin to wet satin. The carbonation is prickly. Much to my surprise there is a presence of alcohol in this 3.4% beer.

This one is better suited to a dessert setting.

1.49/5  rDev -46.6%

Purchased at Julio's. A beer from Malta? Sure, why not.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a deep dark brown almost black with a creamy one finger mocha head that fades to a sudsy cloud with thick side lacing.

S - Ugh, what the heck? With such a promising look how can this smell come from it? Dark fruits and booze? Booze, are you kidding me? This stuff is 3.4%, how can it smell boozy?! Theres some bread and lots of sweetness. This has a kvass like quality.

T - Really didnt want to try this beer after the nose. Ugh. Artificially sweet with some off bread notes. What the hell am I drinking. Lacto is really weird tasting too. Ugh. This is a mess.

M - Feel is very thin and syrupy. That being said not lik eI can actually get full sips of this vile liquid. Ugh. Make it stop.

O - Why? Why have I drank this? I mean this is absolutely horrific. The taste lingers in the mouth worse than a funky bleu cheese. I drank as little as possible of this beer to write a review. Really hoping this doesnt eat a hole in my sink as I drain pour this junk.

3.62/5  rDev +29.7%

330 mL bottle. Pint glass.

A: Pitch black pour; dark tan head that last about 5 seconds.

S: Oats, cocoa, lactose, and caramel.

T: Wet and slightly state oats, some sweet and tangy dark fruits, lots of sweet lactose, and some roastiness.

M: Thin body with low carbonation.

O: This is light, tasty, and from Malta!

2.01/5  rDev -28%

Farson's Lacto pours up with a modest carbonation that creates a small brownish-khaki colored head that maintains above the deep reddish brown-nearly black body. Head retention is surprisingly good! The aroma is very sweetish e.g. Malta Goya with hints of burnt molasses, caramel syrup & damp fallen leaves. Oxididation doesn't help. The flavor is very one-dimensional with a light sweetness & subdued roastiness that creates an off-dry, slightly sulphery finish. This light-medium bodied lager lacks substance, but easy to finish & move on! This Maltese lager needs more lacto & stout!

CHEERS! Beertracker

2.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Out of a bottle this Maltese (!) beer was a reddish/brown color with one finger of khaki colored head. Decent retention and thin bands of lacing were left as I sipped it. The aroma was unusual; a blend of sweet malt, lots of caramel, raisins and as another reviewer perfectly put it “used coins.” I admit, I didn’t think this when I first tried it but when I read it reviewed as such I instantly thought “My God! That was exactly it!” The flavors, sadly, were much like the aroma. Caramel, metal, raisins and lactose sugar with just a touch of chocolate on the finish. Odd and not at all the Maltese version of Left Hand’s Milk Stout that I was hoping for. The mouthfeel was also not as rich as I think the style dictates and the body a little thin. The carbonation was appropriate however. An interesting spin on the theory but not a winning one, in my opinion.

1.89/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours very dark with a good caramel colored head, about one finger worth. Head quickly falls but some lacing remains.

S - Smell is of bread. There may be some chocolate there in the background, but it is very light if it is.

T - I don't know if it gets much worse than this, but if it does, I hope I don't ever try it. Artificially sweet. Plastic. Some hints of chocolate again but not enough. Can barely put down a couple sips to complete my review.

M - Light with almost no carbonation. I would expect more carbonation here. Nothing helps the taste.

O - This was sitting in my cellar for a few months and I wish I would have just left it there. Just bad. I don't know who would buy this knowing what it tastes like. At least I can check Malta off my list.

2.59/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Black brown and almost totally impermeable to light. Moderate medium dark tan head shows ddecent retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Interesting toasted malt aroma, with slight caramel, and some nutty notes-probably from oxidation (age). Slight coffee creamer aroma and a touch of raisins as well. The nutty malt aroma reminds me more of a nut brown ale than a stout, but that can probably be partially blamed on the fact that a low gravity import beer is not likely to wear it's age very well, and I'm not quite sure how long this sat on the shelf before I picked it up. That said, even if I look beyond the stale malt notes, there's really not any roast to speak of here.

Flavor-Sweet, bland, and somewhat one dimensional. Tastes like milk sugar, with background notes of toasted bread, nuts, and caramel covered raisins. A bit cloying, and still semi-sweet in the finish.

Mouthfeel-Medium light body with moderately low carbonation. It does seem to get a little bit of a body boost from the milk sugar, but not as much as I would expect/hope. Ends up kind of thin and a bit unpleasant.

It's hard to say if this would be better fresh, but it's not very good in it's current state. One dimensional and too sweet in it's milk sugar/caramel/coffee creamer flavor. The caramel and dark fruit flavors achieved by the caramel malts used are not bad, but the lack of any real roast flavor is a deal breaker for me.

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bottle into pint glass
A – Almost 1 finger of tan head which reduced to a thin layer quickly but stuck to the glass, beer is a very dark brown 3.5
S – Dark roasted caramel malts, sweet cream, herbal overtones 3.5
T – An odd bitter herbalness permeates this brew, semi-sweet malts, more herbal than expected, light body and slightly dry/mineral, a very drinkable beer but not one I’m enjoying the taste of too much, dark but not a stout in my book 2.5
M – Thin watery and light, very un-stout like 2
O – If a very light thinner session stout is your target, this may work for you. Not what I was hoping for and I will not be revisiting this brew. 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -9.7%

poured from 11.2ox bottle into pint glass

A-well it looks of very dark with no light coming through with less than a finger of head that faded away quickly

S-smell is not bad I get some carmel malts and a little dark fruit

T-not much like the smell unfortunately I do get a slight dark fuit at the very begining but that fades very quikly to a sweaty leather type taste

M-very thin and watery

O-it says on the bottle carmel color added so that should have made me steer clear but I saw the made in Malta and I couldn't resist. I don't know if other beers add color or this is the only one with the courage to list it on the label but I will just count this as country number 10 for my reviews.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured coffee colored black with caramel colored film head that clears up rather quick and leaves a big - bubbled ring around the rim.

smells sweet. A mix between red wine and anise.

Taste is not very good at all. This is nothing more than a light beer with coloring added and some kind of artificial flavoring. Somewhat chocolatey.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. No body to this beer.

This is definitely not a stout that I care to drink again.

2.59/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2oz bottle. Caramel colour added to a milk stout? Uh oh…

I can trace my paternal heritage back a few hundred years, and it stops with this little island, merged with that other little island, Eire.

This beer pours a solid black, with slight cola edges, and one skinny finger of foamy milk chocolate brown head, which settles quickly, leaving some random specked streaks of lace around the glass in the process. It smells of sweet caramel malt, milk, fermented red grape juice, and leafy hops. The taste is stale cider-soaked bready malt, yeast, warm milk, and a little bit of chocolate coffee. The carbonation is very sedate, but with a weird little tongue tingling after a spell, the body medium weight, but in a squishy fruit manner, smoothness defined in an equal manner. It finishes with an airiness, aged black fruit dancing about, tartness coming and going.

Well, a strange old bat, this one. Stout characteristics get pushed aside in favour of weird amber ale off-flavours. Could be an age issue – as there's no date info on the bottle, but then again, maybe it's just that I’ve never had a Mediterranean milk stout before.

2.91/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick texture. There was a half inch of foamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing.

S: A very faint aroma of malt and coffee, but not much else.

T: Tasted of light malt and some mild coffee up front, with milk in the finish. Mainly, this was a thin, watery beer without much discernible flavor.

M: A solid amount of carbonation with a smooth, somewhat thin finish. Medium-bodied.

O: While this beer does have one or two good attributes, it is pretty mediocre.

Lacto Traditional Stout Beer from Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc.