Lacto Traditional Stout Beer - Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc.

Lacto Traditional Stout BeerLacto Traditional Stout Beer

poor

Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc. visit their website
Malta

Milk / Sweet Stout |  3.80% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 04-19-2003)

1.16/5  rDev -58.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Look, this was likely the worst beer I've ever had. I'd rather drink a Keystone Ice and that says a lot.

Smell...smells sour. Tastes sour. No flavor. Just disappointment. Felt watery. No head. I was hoping for something like 2X Milk Stout by Southern Tier, which is amazing. The best part of the beer was that it still looked like a beer and didn't make me vomit.

I don't plan on writing many reviews for beers here, but couldn't resist the urge to warn you to avoid this one at all costs. What a disappointment.

1.38/5  rDev -50.4%

Maybe I had a bad bottle. There was one dusty bottle of this at a grocery in St. Julian's, Malta. I wanted to sample each of the Farson's brews so this went in the cart along with some Cisk and Hopleaf. The beer poured out like chocolate syrup with a fairly wimpy head. It smelled simply awful, like it had gone bad long ago. Still I decided to taste it. True to form it was way too thick and while flavorful, it wasn't a flavor I want to be too verbose. I couldn't get the whole bottle down and felt slightly ill for an hour after.

1.4/5  rDev -49.6%

A - This beer poured a cola brown color that produced a tan head which had little retention and laced the side of the glass little

S - The aromas produced by this beer, wait, what aromas? This "Stout" as its called is very lacking

T - Ok, I had to double check and make sure I was drinking a Milk Stout and not a bottle of Root Beer, but to my dismay this was labeled as a Milk Stout

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light body with a heavy amount of carbonation, which reinforced the whole cola taste

D - I can't say good things about this beer, I bought this because I saw Caramel next Milk Stout and thought "Sweet, a Caramel flavored Milk Stout, what a badass combination," but I didn't read fully, and suffered the consequences

1.48/5  rDev -46.8%

Bought this on a whim...no date

Pouts jets black with barely any head. Big dark brown bubbles on the outside. The ittiest bit of lacing.
Aroma is of sweet malt smell that is barely there. A bit of laundry detergent as well
Starts creamy and then has a medicinal character. More basic sweetness with water. The slightest bit of roasted and chocolate malt. Quite terrible from start to finish. It taste like I'm drinking iodophor.
The best part of this beer is the mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth, velvet like feeling. Light body. Low carbonation is very nice.

An awful beer besides the mouthfeel. The brewers should come to America and learn how to make flavorful low alcohol beers. I'm pissed I wasted 2.49 on this brew...drain pour city, maybe the sink will like it more

1.48/5  rDev -46.8%

Purchased at Julio's. A beer from Malta? Sure, why not.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a deep dark brown almost black with a creamy one finger mocha head that fades to a sudsy cloud with thick side lacing.

S - Ugh, what the heck? With such a promising look how can this smell come from it? Dark fruits and booze? Booze, are you kidding me? This stuff is 3.4%, how can it smell boozy?! Theres some bread and lots of sweetness. This has a kvass like quality.

T - Really didnt want to try this beer after the nose. Ugh. Artificially sweet with some off bread notes. What the hell am I drinking. Lacto is really weird tasting too. Ugh. This is a mess.

M - Feel is very thin and syrupy. That being said not lik eI can actually get full sips of this vile liquid. Ugh. Make it stop.

O - Why? Why have I drank this? I mean this is absolutely horrific. The taste lingers in the mouth worse than a funky bleu cheese. I drank as little as possible of this beer to write a review. Really hoping this doesnt eat a hole in my sink as I drain pour this junk.

1.5/5  rDev -46%

1.55/5  rDev -44.2%

I could say some nice things about the color, and the head, but what difference does it make what it looks like when you're pouring it down the drain?
This was by far, the worst "beer" i've ever tasted.
If this bottle wasn't infected, and was supposed to taste like that, I'm downright confused.

1.73/5  rDev -37.8%

Opaque dark walnut with bright garnet edges. The multiple finger cap is an appealing shade of milk chocolate brown and has a wonderfully bubbly upper surface that eventually leads to gobs of bubbly lace. I had originally planned to mark the appearance down a half point due to the use of caramel color (stated proudly on the label), but I've decided not to.

The nose is... what nose? I have never smelled a stout of any sub-type that was this aroma deficient. No wonder the brewery had to cheat by adding caramel color. If the aroma is any guide, it doesn't appear as though they've used much roasted malt at all. Of course, with an ABV that low, I'm not expecting Speedway Stout.

I never dreamed that I would run across a 'stout' more pathetic than Guinness Draught, but Lacto Traditional has proved me wrong. The only characteristic that is the least bit stout-like is the color, and they had to add artificial color to achieve that. I wish artificial flavor had been added as well. At least then the beer would have some flavor.

The malt backbone... what malt backbone? If I close my eyes, LacTrad SB tastes like an artificially sweetened, mildly ashy, Euro dark lager that isn't really 'dark' at all. Simonds Farsons had to have added caramel extract in addition to caramel color since the flavor profile has absolutely nothing in common with barley malt, roasted or otherwise. A meager milk sugar tang identifies it as a member of the stated style.

The mouthfeel is all kinds of watery. Insipid is another word that comes to mind. If any U.S. breweries are considering creating a light stout (Bud Stout Light?)... <shudder>... this abomination should make them think twice.

When I saw the ABV and the country of origin (Malta), I wondered what Lacto Traditional would deliver. Nothing even remotely good, that's what. It might be the Guinness Draught of the Mediterranean (my claim, not theirs), but that isn't saying much. My suggestion is to stay away unless you're curious. Don't say I didn't warn you.

1.83/5  rDev -34.2%

dark yes, but artificially, and with a head that faded all too quickly... smells of spent grain, old leather and cheap tobacco... rather watery, with metallic notes and roasted hay... light fizzy body, with a metallic tone that wouldn't go away... part of a random beer grab from my dad as a christmas gift, but i don't know if i can finish this one

1.83/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours very dark with a good caramel colored head, about one finger worth. Head quickly falls but some lacing remains.

S - Smell is of bread. There may be some chocolate there in the background, but it is very light if it is.

T - I don't know if it gets much worse than this, but if it does, I hope I don't ever try it. Artificially sweet. Plastic. Some hints of chocolate again but not enough. Can barely put down a couple sips to complete my review.

M - Light with almost no carbonation. I would expect more carbonation here. Nothing helps the taste.

O - This was sitting in my cellar for a few months and I wish I would have just left it there. Just bad. I don't know who would buy this knowing what it tastes like. At least I can check Malta off my list.

1.9/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Served cold.

A-ink black body; mocha colored head.

S-dry grain smell, cardboard

T-old hops, stale, some sweet grain flavor

M-medium and very watery

D-not a very good representation of the style. The whole beer has a number of off-putting qualities. Especially in the mouthfeel department. I would not drink this beer again.

1.95/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured this 11.2 oz. undated brown bottle into a Samuel Smith tulip pint. Body was mohogany black with a tan head, Head was composed of huge short lived bubbles.

Smell was simply ashy, nothing more.

Taste was similar to a cola poured several hours ago. Sweetness was not cloying. Hops were barely there and dropped off quickly. No chocolate flavors. No coffee hints. This one lacked...flavor. A one note song.

Mouthfeel was slightly carbonated and somewhat smooth. I will not drink this one again.

Farson's Lacto pours up with a modest carbonation that creates a small brownish-khaki colored head that maintains above the deep reddish brown-nearly black body. Head retention is surprisingly good! The aroma is very sweetish e.g. Malta Goya with hints of burnt molasses, caramel syrup & damp fallen leaves. Oxididation doesn't help. The flavor is very one-dimensional with a light sweetness & subdued roastiness that creates an off-dry, slightly sulphery finish. This light-medium bodied lager lacks substance, but easy to finish & move on! This Maltese lager needs more lacto & stout!

CHEERS! Beertracker

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Deep black with some ruby red toward the bottom edges of the glass. A thin bubbly rim forms from a thin head.

Very faint roasty grains with a little bit of caramel in there.

Almost flavorless. I can actually taste the lactose that was added (if that's even what they did). Either way, this beer has "hints" of milk. Thin bodied with low carbonation. The finish is lingering grainy milk flavors.

The oddest thing about this beer is that on the label it says, "Caramel color added." Why would you add coloring to a black beer? Anyways, that coloring may have provided the only flavor in this beer. The one good thing, with a 3.4% ABV this beer is extremely sessionable. I'd say if I was stuck in Malta (an absolutely gorgeous island) and could only drink this beer, I don't think I would complain too much. But stateside, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

2.03/5  rDev -27%

Don't remember where I got this, but I think I may smell bad beer review time... When it says right on it "caramel color added" you know you're in for something special.

Pours dark black color but still somehow watery and thin looking on the edges, with a dark colored think fizzy quick fading head. It has that burnt cola color, wait, that's probably exactly what it is.

Nose, holy frig, it's as if the bad breweries of Mexico all got together and made cola milk, then forgot about it for months in the sun and heat. It oozes with fake sweeteners, extracts and adjuncts, with just the right amount of skunky lager. A light cola syrup, with sweet lactose and a bit of powdered over roasted cocoa. Wait... is that coffee? Yes actually, but not in the normal sense, it's more like coffee wafting from the floor of the men's room at Starbucks.

Taste hits right off with chocolate water and powedered milk, the kind my Depression era grandmother used to make that I would pour down the sink when she wasn't looking, which is where I'm guessing this is headed. It somehow stays chalky despite the lactose, with a hint of curdled cream and baby spit. Again more of the cheap macro lager like skunk and fake sugars. It does have some cola taste, but more like cola coming back up. A touch of roast gives a burnt coffee chew to it as well. Finish is, I wish non-existant, but instead a light bitter metallic twinge and more old cola and bark from a fermented tree or something. Oh, there's also a moldy bread taste, which actually seems to help a bit, reminds me a bit of a Kvass in that sense.

Mouth is thin and watery, yet somehow a weird powdered chalky creamy feel, and little carbonation, which is unfortunate as my tongue could use as many breaks as it could get.

Overall, well, have you ever backed your car over your foot accidentally... well it's kinda like that, except replace car with steam roller, and foot with tongue, and everything else with horse bile and you get a similar experience.

Thank GOD that review is over, cause now I can dump the beer, and what's left of my taste buds that I can still taste.

2.08/5  rDev -25.2%

11.2oz bottle given to me gratis by the proprietor of Enoteca in Post Falls, Idaho. I got the impression that he was not sure if he wanted to try it or not, so he wanted me to be the guinea pig! Normally this goes for $2.99. According to the label, this is a "milk stout with caramel color added." I'm a little bit puzzled as to why caramel coloring would have to be added to a stout. Whenever food coloring or artificial flavor is trumpeted from a beer's label, I generally get worried. Also, the label declares that the beer was "prepared [not brewed] according to the original recipe of 1946." Somehow it's not as impressive as the standard Reinheitsgebot boilerplate found on beers from Germany. Oh, well, if nothing else I'll have had a beer from Malta for the first time.

Pours a somewhat bizzare looking reddish brown (the vaunted caramel coloring, I guess), with a very small, tight tan head. Small amounts of spotty lace can be seen on the sides of my glass.

Strange smelling beer. It's like a weird cross between coffee, cheap cocoa powder, milk chocolate and dust.

Whoa! When tasted, this beer somehow gets fruity - and not in a good way. Apple flavors with an acidic undertone. It doesn't improve as it gets warmer, either. No stout characteristics come through in the taste. Ugh.

Light bodied for a stout, and with a dry, biting mouthfeel.

Nasty, nasty, nasty. I hate to diss something given to me freely, but this is a drainpour, pure and simple, and my plumbing will not thank me for it. Avoid.

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a dark brown, near black. A fairly brisk pour yielded only about 1 finger thick of brown head. Head is bubbly and almost kind of creamy looking. Head came across as a bit lacking in general. mild lacing.

Aroma and taste are down right mediocre. Malt and...maybe caramel? Perhaps a slight bit of brown sugar in the nose. But no hints of coffee, chocolate, hops...nothing. Just a bland sweetness. Yuck. But hey, at least it's not cloying.

Mouthfeel is fairly light for the style...maybe a notch below medium overall. Watery. Carbonation is appropriate.

Not a good stout. Might be a decent entry stout for a person that's a bit intidimated by the style, because there's nothing even remotely challenging at play here. This was a drain pour for me - not because it was so bad that I couldn't drink it, but simply because it was just a waste of stomach space.

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours an opaque black with a dark khaki head that settles to wisps on film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, soy sauce, and an aroma of red wine/port that went bad. Taste is slightly sour with the red wine/port flavor being the most prominent. This beer has a very low amount of carbonation with an almost flat and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer with some bad aromas and flavors that equate to a drain pour.

2.17/5  rDev -21.9%

330ml brown bottle without dating.

Pours deep brown with red edges. An inch of tan head quickly dissolves, leaving a small film and fingers of lace. Smells rather peculiar for a sweet stout. There's some sweet malt aroma at first, but it gets overshadowed by stewed vegetables and cheap euro-lager skunkiness. Flavor is entirely missing in action. Liquid creamed corn with a touch of skunk and lactic smoothness. Limp and thin body with almost no carbonation. Avoid this one.

[edit] I read the other reviews after posting mine. AndoBrew is exactly right. This tastes something like dirty coins smell.

2.2/5  rDev -20.9%

This pours out of the bottle a rich dark ruby color. Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there. There is a pleasant milkiness to the smell, but little else. The taste was completely unexpected. The predominant flavor was grassiness, like fresh mown hay. A milky almost saccarine sweetness was the other predominant flavor. There was no taste of roasted malt. This beer is almost cloyingly sweet. A close reading of the label includes the words"with caramel color added", making one wonder what the color of this beer would be without the added coloring(yellow, perhaps?). This does not taste like a stout at all. The body is thin and I could not finish the bottle.This is a vast disappointment.

2.2/5  rDev -20.9%

Auspicious begining--"milk stout with caramel color added". I cannot think of a reason to add caramel color if this made properly, but I'll give it a go.

The beer looks fine. Dark brown color where no light seeps through. Constant beige head that leaves a decent amount of lace.

The smell features candy sweetness that more closely resembles caramels than dark chocolate. Not so good.

This is a definite 'miss'. Very thin body. The taste is too sweet with no balancing bitterness...the dark, coffee-like malts are missing.

I don't believe that I can finish this one. There are too many good beers out there.

2.2/5  rDev -20.9%

A-nice looking brew, Dark brown with a finger and a half of cappacino coloured foam. Lacing is strong.

S-mild grain and alcohol which is surprising considering the %.

T-Mild grain as well, slight burnt caramel taste. This is slightly sweet with a decent bitter follow through. Not complex at all and rather kind of bland.

M-thin an dlighlty carbonated.

D-nothing strong on this other than appearence. not bad enough where I would think that nobdy on earth should enjoy this but it really is weak in my opinion.

2.23/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a one finger light brown head over a pitch liquid. Smells black patent sourish, chocolate is mild and a bit of wheat, like is found in Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

Tastes mildly balck patent with an underlying lacto sweet. Green apple and marshiano cherry. Wet sweet from malt without any roast character to speak of. Extracty flavoring of caramel. Overall, it comes across as fake. Md heavy body with modest carbonation that's a bit sharp on the tastebuds.

Milk stout is one of my favorite styles and this beer just doesn't stack up.

Lacto Traditional Stout Beer from Simonds Farsons Cisk Plc.