Jolly Scot Scottish Ale - Appalachian Brewing Company

good

Appalachian Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-10-2002)
troegaarden

12-21-2011 21:38:11 | More by troegaarden
bf7

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

05-22-2013 16:18:24 | More by bf7
MichaelMeister

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +29%

Had this Scottish Ale as part of our sampler group when visiting and having dinner at the Appalachian Brewing Co.

What a tasty Scottish Ale. Very nice color, excellent caramel flavor and finishes off nicely.

Whenever we visit Harrisburg from Atlanta we try to bring back a few bottles as this particular beer is not available here.

07-04-2005 01:47:36 | More by MichaelMeister
wac9

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

this is my favorvite scottish ale a good beer from pa . pours a dark copper color , with a big white head,the taste is sharpe and crisp , a great mouthfull and drinkability is excellant i could drink this all night and have , its a winner so go enjoy this beer

05-30-2010 01:20:32 | More by wac9
racingkenny14

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

04-30-2013 23:48:30 | More by racingkenny14
psugrad98

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

Great beer from a quality brewery. Nut brown in color with a slight hint of redness. Nice foamy head. Smell is of sweet flowers for fruit. Coats the entire mouth, goes down smooth and packs a wollup. Dorn't drink and drive!!

05-24-2002 11:06:02 | More by psugrad98
NeroFiddled

4.38/5  rDev +23.4%

A creamy ivory head rests lazily atop a deep-amber/copper body. It's crystal clear; and very tiny bubbles rise slowly towards the surface. The head retention is good, and although it drops fairly readily, it does maintain a very nice collar and lacy surface covering throughout the pint. The nose expresses a very clean, lightly sweet and caramelized/caramelish maltiness that's touched ever so lightly by a background roastiness. The body is medium/full and it's quite creamy and smooth in the mouth. Caramelized sugars dominate in the round maltiness; but it's also accentuated by a very light fruitiness, a whisp of hop flavor, a cusp of gently acidity from a touch of dark malt, and a sublime bitterness. This is an exceptionally well-done version of an 80 Shilling Scottish ale, and it might even be too clean to be considered authentic! Great drinkability! I'd love to try this cask conditioned. Well worth trying.

04-12-2003 17:17:32 | More by NeroFiddled
barleyroad

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

Smooth and slight sweet flavor of the malt and oatmeal. Amber to dark amber in color with a hint of red. Nice to the nose and very good to the tonge. Over all we found this beer to be eveything it was advertised to be. Worth having again, would go well with shepards pie or a spicy dog.

09-21-2011 02:21:23 | More by barleyroad
DarthMalt

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

Wow! I thought a beer like this was beyond the scope of any American brewer. Apparently not. I need to get out more.

It's got all the honeysuckle notes, plenty of butterscotch, and the perfect hint of oak in the mix. The water is a little too Pilsener soft for style, but it actually kind of works better, in my opinion--makes it sweeter.

Funny, the only thing that makes this brew suspect is, it is from an American micro. It's kinda' like the California wine effect--"Can't be good if it's from here"--you know?

Enjoy this one, and support these guys if you ever see them. The cashier had to practically vacuum these off before scanning them. Sad fate for such a good beer.

11-05-2002 19:22:50 | More by DarthMalt
psycroptic

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Had from a liqour store in a mix-a-six. Never actually had anything from Appalachian, so new shit sherlock.

A: Poured dark brown with a brownish-tan approx. two-finger sized head. Looks quite chocolatey.

S: Subdued toffee, caramel & chocolate malts with even more subedued floral-like hops; definitely no cascades here that my sniffer can pick up. I like it - definitely low-key on the aroma front, but everything I can smell seems swell.

T: Complimenting the smell, it's all back of the taste buds for me. The chocolatey-ness shines throughout along with notes of caramel; very little hoppiness, just enough to balance out the sweetness of the malts. I'm most def a malt fan, so props from my mouth.

M: Thin. Not Bud thin or anything, but just... like I said subdued. For a dark-looking beer I actually expected something heavier, an "attack" if you will of super dense malts & what not. No bad tastes left on the palate, but nothing super-exceptional. Not to say it's bad, nor that it's even watery or anything cause there's enough going on here, it's just very easily...

D: Drinkable! I've only got one in my mix but I could absolutely session this one. The subduedness really conceals the brew, particularly its 5.2%; didn't take any time at all to be over halfway done with it. Sorta creeps up on you tbh.

It's overall quite solid imo. Would definitely consider more of this as well as more from this company, as like I said I haven't had any others. Kudos.

12-08-2009 06:21:33 | More by psycroptic
bmills1608

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a nice, almost murky red brown color. While the appearance is mostly clear, there is a definite haze. Head is slightly tan in color, fairly thick, nice and solid. Head hangs around for a few minutes, eventually hitting the road leaving behind a thin layer of film on top.

On the nose is sweet sticky malts, tons of fruit (black cherry, slight raisin). Taste is much like the nose, slick malts, caramel, slight cherry, various other almost ripe fruits and more chewy malt. Taste is clean, fairly sweet and a not overly complex, but definitely not dull either. I really nice combination of malt and fruit. Overall I was hoping for just a bit more punch, but still very solid. Things improve as it warms, more malty goodness shines though.

Finishes sweet-tart, with a nice touch of dry astringency and an almost cherry coke like flavor that sort of lingers around a bit.

Overall - I really enjoy this beer. Scotch/Scottish ales are one of the styles I personally like, but for some reason are not nearly as common as other styles in my area. Glad to see a local brewery producing this.

12-31-2004 15:28:02 | More by bmills1608
notherpintplease

03-28-2013 02:48:11 | More by notherpintplease
spedprof

West Virginia

04-05-2013 02:15:22 | More by spedprof
tkepx182

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

A: This is a dark amber beer, it is a very clear beer, showing all of the possible carbonation that the beer had to offer

S: It had the pleasant smell of hops and malt

M: It had a really nice feel to it

T: The balance in of the malts barley and hops was very pleasing in the beer

O: This is one of the better beers that I have found in the Scottish style of beer, it is better then the samuel adams variety

09-08-2011 01:50:06 | More by tkepx182
Sipchue

12-29-2012 00:20:52 | More by Sipchue
WilliamPhilaPa

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Pours a nice copper colored body with some amber highlights. It has excellent clarity; and moderate carbonation. On top lays a small creamy off-white head with decent retention, and leaves a nice creamy collar. On the nose the aroma
of caramel malt, buttery toffee, and biscuits. On the palate more of the same with a caramel maltiness, bicuity/ breadiness, light fruitiness, and a little on the sweet side as it warms but still very enjoyable. The mouth feel is creamy and smooth. Nice brew.

04-27-2003 08:37:46 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Phatz

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

With out a doubt this is the best beer I have had from Appalachian in a bottle. I have been a bit disappointed with some things in the past but not this time round.

Appearance: Pours a rich caramel amber color with a light tan head and little lacing. The body is partly transparent.

Smell: It has a full nose of caramel malts and sweet fruits. Toasted caramel and plums dominate with an earthy toffee undertone and a hint of wood and booze. Very nice.

Taste: The flavors delivers slightly less than the nose, but really is quite pleasant. For a brewery I have come to, unfortunately stereotype as mainstreamed, this is really a full rich Scottish ale. Nicely done. It has a terrific vinous character and sweet caramelized malt flavors along with figs rum soaked raisins wood and dark fruits and toasted tastes.

Mouthfeel: It is a fine line between the Scottish Ale and the Scotch Ale Wee Heavy. I think this beer is closer in flavor to the Wee Heavy but the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than that though is full enough for an 80 shilling Scottish Ale.

Drinkability: Splendid. I love the style and typically they are beer I can stay with all night. Though I would call it a session beer It is still a beer I could start and end the night with a 6-er of this beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-14-2006 07:34:54 | More by Phatz
BeerMonarch

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

Got this in a variety pack up in Harrisburg.

Poured into a goblet (it's what was around) it was a beautiful dark red.

Smelled of dark malts.

Mouthfeel was a bit light, but that just added to the drinkability.

Taste was of rich malts.

This is one of the more drinkable Scottish ales I've had and would be a good session beer.

08-01-2010 22:04:37 | More by BeerMonarch
akorsak

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

A pint glass served at the Harrisburg brewpub.

A: The ale is a ruddy brown color, not so dark that light doesn't shine through. The head was small to nonexistent on arrival.

S: The aroma is malty with a robust thickness that shows off caramel and butterscotch.

T: The first sip is a maltster's heaven. Thick and chewy, the caramel malts have a touch of smoke and thick peat. Hops are nonexistent but they aren't missed in this decadent ale.

M: The mouthfeel is full without overloading the senses. Hops don't get in the way of the malts, allowing the thick bready flavor to really shine through.

D: This is a great session ale, smooth with a robust flavor that doesn't push you around.

06-13-2008 01:14:45 | More by akorsak
pavandal

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

Served On-Tap at the ABC Brewery in Harrisburg, PA.

Beer poured a beautiful dark amber with a small creamy head. Didn't lace as the drink went on.

Nearly no smell on this. If I stuck my nose in the glass, I could pick up a slight fruit smell, but really, there wasn't much;

Taste was outstanding! Lots of malt! If you're into that (which I am), This is a great beer. Not very bitter at all.

Was very light on the mouth, a good beer to have with a heavy meal.

I'm thinking about picking a six of this up for poker tomorrow night, so of Course I'd drink it again!

10-06-2006 20:37:53 | More by pavandal
rdrummer

4.13/5  rDev +16.3%

This was a very interesting Scottish Ale. I was expecting something a little darker and heavier. It poured a ruby to dark brown color with an off-white head and lots of lacing. The overwhelming aroma is one of maoltiness with a bit of hops underneath and a bit of pepperyness. It is a really flavorful beer with a nice balance of the malt to the hops, which lends just a slight bitterness. There was a hint of carmel as if some of the malt may have been carmelized. It was relatively full-bodied with a nice but not overwhelming carbonation. This one was good from start to finish, which caused me to want another.

03-16-2004 00:07:34 | More by rdrummer
beergeek279

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Served as a 6 oz. cask sample at ABC. The color was dark amber, with a wispy white head. The smell was a dark, sweet malt. The taste was a strong, slightly sweet dark malt, with a good toffeeness, and a bit of hops. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth. As for drinkability, I'd definitely have me quite a few of these.

When I had it, I was thinking this was a damn weak Wee Heavy, but I didn't realize that this was just a regular everyday Scottish Ale. In that case, it certainly was fantastic, and one I wish to have in the future.

06-30-2004 03:41:47 | More by beergeek279
LSUExplorer03

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

I got this beer from an ABC variety for Christmas. Out of the 4 beers this was my favorite!

Color was a deep, red, amber hugh.

I smelt strong hints of butterscotch and caramel. After a few hard swirls in my newly purchased Sam Adams tulip glass, the lingering aromas were very appealing.

It had a medium body with some surprising complexity. Good mouthfeel - very smooth.

This beer may not land a spot on my top 5 favorite beers list, but it is surprisingly good. I would definitely buy a six-pack of this again.

01-16-2009 04:42:13 | More by LSUExplorer03
gestyr

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Dark Amber...almost brown with a creamy tan head.

Smell: Malt, caramel and a hint of smoke

Taste: Again, Malty, not much bitterness or hops detectable, carmel and smoke in the background

Mouthfeel: A bit thin...I had expected it to have more body

Drinkability: Yes, I would drink it again. Next time I will have to try a glass at the bar to see the difference.

ABC is a good company that puts out consistantly good beers. I think it is one of the areas best kept secrets.

08-30-2006 23:42:29 | More by gestyr