Purist Pale Ale - Appalachian Brewing Company

Appalachian Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Pale Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: psugrad98 on 07-22-2002

Our pale ale is inspired by the classic English style pale ale with a blend of noble hops and a delicate malt attribute. This beer is well balanced by design and is for the enjoyment of the purist beer drinker
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 180 | Reviews: 87
2.75/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Just your basic brew, not much crafty here. OK but would not seek out

3.84/5  rDev +10.3%

2.84/5  rDev -18.4%

2.75/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Slightly cloudy orange color. Decent white head. Sweet caramel aroma. Flavor is a little faint but there is some caramel malt and citrus fruit in there. Medium bodied and pretty smooth. Not incredibly extraordinary, however.

3.24/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -1.1%

3.07/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I live not too far from the Appalachian Brewing Company. I thought I'd give this one a try. I like the idea of drinking English pale ales. Here we go. Bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A dusky reddish color, almost honey, with a thin white head. Minimal lacing.

Aroma: Toasty malts. Some light hoppiness, but not much.

Taste: A bit richer than I imagined, but not awfully bad. Not really good, either. It's a passable brew, with some maltiness and a trace of hops.

Mouthfeel: A heavier body. It coats the tongue well, and the taste lingers at the back of the throat. The aftertaste is a little too grainy for my taste, but it's not awful.

Overall: I could drink it, but I am not going to run out and buy this again anytime soon. It met my expectations in the most basic way, no more and no less.

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%

3.82/5  rDev +9.8%

tap

Pours a light amber gold with a white lacing for a head.

Light honey aroma with some fresh citrusy hops.

Citrus hop flavor up front followed by fresh and floral hop character over a light biscuit malt.

Medium body with a tingly carbonation on the tongue.

A very nice above average pale ale with some decent hop depth. Easy to session and enjoyable, goes down very light. Not any kind of award winner, but more than adequate for the style.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The great bottle purge continues here in the kitchen of Chez Woody as I try to reduce the backlog of these confounded bottles that are getting in the way of The CANQuest (TM)! I have levied a self-imposed moratorium on buying too much more beer until I get caught up. Yes, there are some that I am not going to pass up, but beer merchants locally are mostly weeping.

From the bottle: "Notably fresh"; "Our fine lagers & ales are handcrafted in small batches & carefully nurtured to perfection. Please visit our really cool brewery!"; "Brewed with Barley, Hops, Yeast & Water".

Another mother-loving screw-cap! 8={} I keep getting fooled by them and I am not a fan, which only inspires me to conduct a really aggro pour. There wasn't much in the way of a cascade, but two fingers of dense ecru head quickly formed and evinced good retention. Color was a deep, rich amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. I am NOT a Purist because that suggests a rigidity and an unwillingness to embrace innovation, but this simply looked like beer! Nose was full of hops, especially a grapefruit-citrus quality which once again begs the question of where does an APA end and an AIPA begin? They are calling this an APA, so be it! Mouthfeel was medium and I have to admit, the taste was not as intense as the nose, so aroma hops were definitely in play while bittering hops were toned down. I will buy that in an APA, so things are good for the purists out there. I was also getting a biscuit maltiness, which further muted the intensity of the hops and not in a bad way. Finish was semi-dry with a lingering citrus flavor. It was not as intense as an AIPA, but it would be sustaining for a self-avowed hophead, such as myself.

My original, on-tap review dtd 26 July 2005 with scores of 4.0; 4.0; 4.0; 3.5 and 4.0 follows:

This arrived with a medium head which was egg-shell white in color with lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. It had a good malty nose underlain with hops. I experienced a medium mouthfeel witha mildly hoppy taste on the palate. The finish was a blend of malt sweet and hop bitter with the hops getting the upper hand at the extreme finish. This is a good APA and a good acndidate for a session beer.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Purist Pale Ale from Appalachian Brewing Company