Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Appalachian Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Kegatron on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
3.38/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap @ the Harrisburg location on 7/17/09. Served in an over sized mug.

Pours a murky brown, with a thin covering of light tan head. Retains mostly around the edges, with some thin wisps that float around the center, leaving back a decent amount of spotty lace. The aroma is initially sweet, with notes of bread, roast, and clove, before blending into some yeasty banana notes and light warmth.

The taste is bread and spice with a yeasty bloom of banana. Some firmer feeling bitterness pulls up the back. Much like the aroma, the malts in this are coming off as much more toasty than for what I would expect in this style (which are fairly darker to begin with). Not really saying that it took away from the profile but it was a bit different. The finish is dry and roasty, and is where I can really detect the darker malts here. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sharp and prickly carbonation, maybe actually being a tad too over carbonated towards the back. This is still fairly crisp and mostly easygoing. There is definitely some presence to this but I didn't pick up any alcohol at all in the taste, so I'm guessing maybe around 5-6% ABV on this one?

Overall not bad. I wish that the aroma had given up a bit more and the roastiness of this was quite interesting, but I won't hold that against it. I love a good Dunkel and although this didn't quite blow me a way, it was pretty decent by ABC standards.

Dan's Dunkleweizen from Appalachian Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.