Chronic Ale - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Chronic AleChronic Ale

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.95% ABV

(Beer added by: acurtis on 10-27-2013)
3.45/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Newhall Refinery in Newhall, CA.

Pours a clear honey orange with a foamy bone head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, metallic, and nut aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, biscuit, and nut flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty, but has an odd metallic quality in the aroma and a bit too flat of a mouthfeel in my opinion.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 06, 2014

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 18, 2013

SocalKicks, Jan 24, 2014
3.6/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly sweet and malty for such a moderate-alcohol brew. Handsome coppery amber color with a decent head and plenty of lacing in the Saxo narrow tulip.

This has the classic Amber Ale profile, just a little lighter-- bitterish caramel taste with some herbal hop flavors. Pleasantly sudsy mouthfeel. Some fruity notes. Apple and a splash of iced tea with lemon. Some browned grain and bread flavors.

This is a more than adequate quaff with all the beery elements. Refreshing and less alcohol. I think icy cold is the right temperature for this. From the 16 oz can purchased at Sunset Beer Company in Los Angeles.

mactrail, Feb 25, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This one showed up in a sort of FFT CANTrade ™ from a trader in Virginia who had received this and a couple of other Pizza Port CANs in a trade of his own and knew that I would up my ante in return for receiving them. Indeed.

From the CAN: “The Chronicale CANned Beer is Now Here! Pizza Port Brewing Co. is now producing their delicious beverages in easy to carry, [CAN]sume & recycle [CAN]s. Enjoy!”; “PIZZA PORT was established in 1987 in Solana Beach, CA. We started out by making pizzas and brewing beer as a hobby. We really wanted to share some of the incredible brews that we crafted for fun with our customers so we installed a 7 barrel brewing system and served our first handcrafted beer brewed on the premises in 1992. We have since celebrated opening Port Carlsbad in 1997, Port San Clemente in 2003, Port Ocean Beach in 2010 and now FINALLY [CAN]ning in Bressi Ranch in 2013! We are a little different in that we actually BREW at every location because WE LOVE BEER SO MUCH! This also allows us to offer a variety of styles and a unique beer selection at each place. It is our pleasure to bring this mellow amber ale to you in a [CAN] after so many requests over the years! Cheers[.]”

I heard a loud Crack! and looked in to see a brimful CAN, so I celebrated with an inverted Glug that had to be aborted when an overflow became imminent. I briefly had two-plus fingers of fizzy, tawny head, but it quickly fell to wisps. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a fruity, malty sweetness to it, kind of like cherry soda pop. Mouthfeel was thin, but very fizzy in terms of its carbonation. I really was reminded of soda pop. In fact, it tasted much like a soda fountain Cherry Coke like I got at Smithgall’s Pharmacy when I was just a wee lad. Whee! It was tasty, but much sweeter than I like. Finish was likewise sweet and still like a Cherry Coke. It was not really my bag, but it was not horrible and at only 4.9%, it a) is a session CANdidate and b) paves the way for my next beer.

woodychandler, Sep 04, 2014

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

tectactoe, Jul 18, 2014

AngusOg, May 11, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Something to finish the night on and pours a orange amber hue with a fluffy three finger head that stays and leaves nice lacing,the smell is light citrus and toffee malts pretty boring really for something named chronic,the mouthfeel is light and a little overcarbonated with simple tastes of light citrus,candy malts and some herbal hop bitterness right at the end but the bitterness is soft and overall for a beer named chronic it lets you down in every aspect even if named john it still be dissapointing and I for one would not drink again and advise the same for someone getting excited like I did avoid cheers.

ADZA, Jul 03, 2014