Chronic Ale - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Chronic AleChronic Ale

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.95% ABV

Beer added by: acurtis on 10-27-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 151 | Reviews: 18

3.75/5  rDev +13%

2.25/5  rDev -32.2%

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

4.5/5  rDev +35.5%

Really great beer. Loved the taste and aroma! Awesome beer for the beach or the course (where I found it). Excited to try the others from this great pizza joint!

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%

3.75/5  rDev +13%

3.52/5  rDev +6%

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

3.28/5  rDev -1.2%

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

This one showed up in a sort of FFT CANTrade ™ from a trader in Virginia who had received this and a couple of other Pizza Port CANs in a trade of his own and knew that I would up my ante in return for receiving them. Indeed.

From the CAN: “The Chronicale CANned Beer is Now Here! Pizza Port Brewing Co. is now producing their delicious beverages in easy to carry, [CAN]sume & recycle [CAN]s. Enjoy!”; “PIZZA PORT was established in 1987 in Solana Beach, CA. We started out by making pizzas and brewing beer as a hobby. We really wanted to share some of the incredible brews that we crafted for fun with our customers so we installed a 7 barrel brewing system and served our first handcrafted beer brewed on the premises in 1992. We have since celebrated opening Port Carlsbad in 1997, Port San Clemente in 2003, Port Ocean Beach in 2010 and now FINALLY [CAN]ning in Bressi Ranch in 2013! We are a little different in that we actually BREW at every location because WE LOVE BEER SO MUCH! This also allows us to offer a variety of styles and a unique beer selection at each place. It is our pleasure to bring this mellow amber ale to you in a [CAN] after so many requests over the years! Cheers[.]”

I heard a loud Crack! and looked in to see a brimful CAN, so I celebrated with an inverted Glug that had to be aborted when an overflow became imminent. I briefly had two-plus fingers of fizzy, tawny head, but it quickly fell to wisps. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a fruity, malty sweetness to it, kind of like cherry soda pop. Mouthfeel was thin, but very fizzy in terms of its carbonation. I really was reminded of soda pop. In fact, it tasted much like a soda fountain Cherry Coke like I got at Smithgall’s Pharmacy when I was just a wee lad. Whee! It was tasty, but much sweeter than I like. Finish was likewise sweet and still like a Cherry Coke. It was not really my bag, but it was not horrible and at only 4.9%, it a) is a session CANdidate and b) paves the way for my next beer.

2.84/5  rDev -14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chronic Ale from Pizza Port Solana Beach