Ponto S.I.P.A. (Sessionable India Pale Ale) - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Ponto S.I.P.A. (Sessionable India Pale Ale)Ponto S.I.P.A. (Sessionable India Pale Ale)

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

(Beer added by: acurtis on 10-27-2013)

This one showed up in a sort of FFT CANTrade ™ from a trader in Virginia who had received this and a couple of other Pizza Port CANs in a trade of his own and knew that I would up my ante in return for receiving them. Indeed.

From the CAN: “This Session IPA is named after a favorite beach and surf spot at the southern most [sic] part of Carlsbad. The jetties offer amazing lefts during a clean south swell and is a great place for a family or day at the beach with friends, We are really excited to share this hoppy beer in a CAN that you may enjoy a little longer than some of our bigger beers. Cheers!”

Yee hah! The Crack! showed that the surf and the level were both up in the CAN and in Carlsbad. I CANducted a goofy-footed inverted Glug until I was forced to back off because of the pint-sized CAN. A brief pseudo-cascade led to the formation of three dense, rocky fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had notes of pine and grapefruit citrus, but I have been through this before with these “sessionable” AIPAs. The proof of the pudding will be in the taste. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as forward as a regular AIPA, but it was much hoppier than many of the session AIPA ilk. I still got the mintiness of the pine hops, but the citrus flavor was more orangish. Let’s face it, I am never going to be a fan of this dumbed-down style, but you could do worse than drinking this one, if such is your pleasure.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

4.84/5  rDev +24.4%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Surprised the ratings aren't higher. This tops Go-To and Daytime as the best example of a "session ipa" I've had. This beer is bursting with flavor from what I presume are citra hops. I could drink this alllll day.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear goldenstraw with a very impressive three-fingers of soap bubble foam though the lacing wasn't particularly clingy

Smell: Mango and ruby red grapefruit

Taste: It is pretty hard to find any malt flavor here as the mango and grapefruit flavors take over from the outset; subtle hints of strawberry and a smidge of onion on the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is the session IPA I have been looking for - just wish it were available here in North Carolina

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%