Oatmeal Porter - Pizza Port Solana Beach

No picture uploaded.

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

American Porter |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Boilermaker88 on 10-04-2003)
Reviews by jcalabre:
3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

My wife surprised me by mentioning that she wanted to go down to Carlsbad for some shopping. I suggested that we have lunch at Pizza Port Carlsbad, home of the famous festivals. She agreed.
This oatmeal porter was a bit disappointing. The body was a bit thin and watery, although the aroma and flavor had nice roasty, oatmeal & chocolate characteristics to it.

jcalabre, Oct 25, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +14%

One of the choices on a nitro-tap at Pizza Port, Carlsbad. Poured into a pint glass, this porter has a nice cascade effect that, once concluded, leaves a deep, dark ruby - almost black - color. The tan head is thick and creamy with great retention and nice lacing.
Smell was a nice blend of coffee, dark chocolate and a mild smokiness.
Taste was of dark, semi-sweet chocolate and coffee and malt. Oatmeal Porter has a decidedly smoky flavor and only a mild bitterness in the finish.
Feel was surprisingly light-bodied, smooth and creamy.
I really liked this offering from Pizza Port. It's very easy to drink, has a nice flavor and isn't very filling at all. I'd definitely get this one again.

Boilermaker88, Oct 04, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Presentation: Prior to stopping down at Stone Brewery this weekend to pick up some Sawyers Triple, I had arranged to meet xlperro and RoyalT in here for a quick beer, and a bite to eat. The second of my two lunchtime Pints would be a smooth soothing Oatmeal Porter to take the edge of the awesome previous beer Wipeout IPA, & the spicy Pepperoni Pizza we had ordered.

Appearance: Classic nitro- stout look. A very dark brown body, that looks black at times, is filled with a light brown nitrogenous mass of bubbles that slowly balance out to form an incredibly smooth light tan head, comprised of immensely small bubbles, tightly packed. Excellent appearance.

Nose: Dark bitter cooking chocolate and roasted coffee beans.

Taste: Smooth coffee bitterness, which surprised me at first. The dark chocolate middle retains the earlier coffee bitterness, as indeed does the ending. Lightly roasted malts come through in the finish. A lingering astringent death.

Mouthfeel: A very, very smooth, solid creamy mouthfeel. Silky and all encompassing, its velvet body wraps itself around the tongue.

Drinkability: A very nice Porter, but I would it hard to drink too much of this, maybe a couple of Pints. Whilst the Nitro-Tap dispense adds character to the beer immensely, ironically it also detracts from the overall Drinkability for me – I find that I cannot drink too many Nitro-Tap beers, which I suppose is not a reflection on the beer really.

Overall: As with most industrial Stouts, the Oatmeal Porter definitely benefits from Nitro-Tap dispense. It worked a treat, and proved to be a very smooth tasty Porter. I will have this again, but only once in a while, mainly because I could not resist the plethora of IPA’s on offer at Pizza Port!

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 07, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

My main gripe with this beer is the serving type. Which begs the next question, why are all the brewpub stouts and porters in Cali served on nitro? What a waste of potentially great beer. Anyway, this beer appeared a deep mahogany in color with a creamy and lasting head of white foam. The aroma was subtle with hints of water, chocolate and roasted grain. Silky & smooth. Notes of chocolate and coffee with hints of apple. But mainly just watery if anything else. Nitro sucks.

Crosling, Mar 29, 2006
Oatmeal Porter from Pizza Port Solana Beach
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.