Poor Man's Double IPA - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-26-2006

Ratings: 159 | Reviews: 68
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

Clear gold with a bubbly but quickly dissipating white head. Floral hops with some citrus and grass. Smooth hoppiness on the taste, very clean. Sweeter hops and malt in the finish. Drier than expected. Pizza Port makes some of the best IPA's out there.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Growler

Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

A shimmering clear gold with a big frothy white head that sticks around, then forms deep craters. Sticky lacing running down the glass. A beautiful beer from start to finish.

An exceptionally pungent hop blast straight from the growler as I twist the cap. More electrifying citrus and pungent fruit aromas fill the air as I pour. This is mango, orange, lemon, and a bit of pine. A spectacular nose...

...but this beer really shines in the taste department! This is what I hope for in a DIPA. Where other supposedly top-of-the-world DIPAs have swung and nearly hit it out of the park, this one hits a grandslam! It's bitter, it's sweet, it's pungent, it's citrusy, it's clean, it's refreshing, it's easy to drink, it's everything!
I split this growler with my dad and he too was floored by it. He said, multiple times, "I'm sure glad they don't bottle this stuff!" Good, that is, for his wallet.
A truly perfect DIPA.

Medium to full in the mouth yet easy drinking. No struggle, no alcohol burn.

Perhaps as close to a perfect DIPA I've had. Truly terrific!

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Hazy orange presence, one of my favorite colors for any kind of ipa not named Pliny. Great dry hop aroma, lots of varieties I'd guess, amarillo, summit (dare I say), cascade, centennial, citra? I dunno, but it was complex and yummy, insert typical pine and citrus adjetives.

A little bit of a tropical taste as well, really hit every possible hop descriptor, wasn't super bitter, just nice tropical fruity hop flavor with mango and pineapple. Light enough body, hid the alcohol quite well. None of that caramel sweetness, although it can be very good in the right beer (SNPA).

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the growler bottleshare.

Hazy peach color with a creamy eggshell colored head. Good retention with Light lacing.

Very Nice nose with notes of light citrus, Pineapple and the mild centennial funk.

Great flavor and good balance. Lovely citrus and pineapple notes. Solid bitter hops but not overly bitter. Mild centennial funk.

Light bodied. Crisp and very fresh. High carbonation. Perfect for this beer. (surprising because until now I had yet to have the right carb. in a Port beer?

Overall this is an excellend DIPA and by far the best Port beer I've ever had. They should force carbonate and bottle this great beer.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Grapefruit colour with white head, c-hop aroma. On-tap at Port Carlsblad.A good bitter mouth-puckering amount of hops, piney and some grapefruit-like and lemon acidity in the finish. Not bad for a double IPA. Refreshing and would have again in a bottle, maybe some day.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Pizza Port Carlsbad, poured into a pint glass. I actually didn't know this was a Double IPA until I was almost done with it. It was really huge in flavor, but the body wasn't so big or alcoholy that it made me think Double IPA. That is actually a good thing in my book. The smell was fresh pine and sweet citrus. The taste had those same two characters with a brisk bitterness and carbonated bite to leave a bit of bruising at the end. Very nice, and I actually do like lighter bodied/Drier IPA's that don't have a ton of residual sugars... this one sure didn't.

3.65/5  rDev -15.9%

On tap at the Pizza Port Carlsbad location on 3/15/09. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear coppery amber with a thin covering of brite-white head. Retention stays rich and creamy, leaving solid swathes of lace behind. The aroma is a beefy smelling fume of sticky and spicy hops, citrus, and a good bit of buttery bread and caramel notes, with a stiff underpinning of warmth that sears the nostrils just a bit.

The taste starts out with assertive hops that rip the tongue, blasting the mouth with a dry, resinous, and spicy bitterness. A backbone of malt sweetness and citrus is present but it's barely keeping the hops in check. The hops naturally tear up the finish as well, leaving behind a bitterness that just sticks in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a prickly carbonation that mixes with a good bit of heat in the body, which is really inhibiting the drinkibility of this for me.

Hey, I'm all about getting blasted in the face with hops like the next guy but there has to be some better balance present. Plus, when you have an active alcohol component like this does, all of that bitterness and warmth can make for some tough drinking. The rare Pizza Port beer that was a bit disappointing for me.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

I feel like I may be underrating this one but it truly is very good. I am grateful and shocked to get a growler from fatheads in Ohio and this is one helluva beer. So it goes.

Growler, split between two of us. Drunkeness occurred in a good way. Pours an orange brown color with a thin head with lots of carbonation. Smells like pine, orange peel, citrus, and sweets. Tastes very hop forward with some orange and an aftertaste of spice, perhaps black tea. Very complex and crazy. This is one bitter beer. I probably could not taste anything else after this but it is very good. It is a sipper but you sip on a lot of it and it is dangerous so be careful with this one. Nonetheless a real tasty brew I highly recommend.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Originally reviewed on November 26, 2006. On tap at the brewpub. Spicy aroma, full of cilantro-like cascades and more resins. Nice. Clear and clean deep golden pour. Flavor is an incredibly profuse and floral flavor, with malt taking a backseat to some of the more upfront and delicious hop characters I’ve seen in a while. It ranges from piney floral qualities to sweet Meyer lemon zest and a blossom of honeyish ruby red grapefruit syrup. Lots of resin and whole hop character amagamating to create some beautifully spicy runs. The sugars aren’t sticky and cloying, yet only assist the beer nicely in bring a wonderful hop pack. A whole lot of fresh white grapefruit juice shows itself in a grass-inflected smack.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Served on tap in a pint glass, pours an orange golden in color with a decent whitish head. Looks attractive and innocent enough but I've been dumped by Pizza Port before. As soon as I get attached to a beer, it heads for the hills and I never see it again. Pizza Port is obviously female.

Nice blast of hops on the nose, touch of citrus and pine, bit of sweetness is apparent. The seduction begins, here we go again.

Tastes of light malts up front, with a hop barrage to follow. Bitterness is present but somewhat cloaked by a moderate malt blanket. Feel and finish are good. Nice job Port, but I'm not buying it. Take someone else's money in that planned future divorce, 'cause I'm not taking the bait. I can read it in your name! Put this in a bottle and show me you're serious, then I'll buy the ring, in the meantime I'm playing the field. I'm sure you'll hook up with some surfdude from Leucadia by then anyway. Whatever.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Review at Pizza Port on 5/31/11 from notes:

A: Light copper color pours with finger of head. Small lacing remains minutes after.

S: Mixture of pine/grapefruit on the nose. Lots of hops on he nose. Maybe biscuity background malt but its faint on the nose.

T: Some grapefruit up front & then a bomb of pine went off in my mouth. I don't usually say this but the hopes may bye a little overweight for this one. The doesn't back it up enough for me.

M: Plenty of carb. Resiny feel that has a little bit of that tear the enamel off your teeth feel.

O: A good hoppy double ipa, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as some of the other DIPAs put out by Port.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

On hand pump at Pizza Port Carlsbad 10/31/10. This cask was dry hopped on Centennial. Had it several times this past week while I was in town finally decided to review.

A thick, fluffy, and excellently retained off-white head crowns an amber body that starts off hazy but eventually clears up nicely. Foamy lacing clings to the glass as I race to the bottom of the pint.

Aroma is front loaded with a massive resinous pine character. Much more aromatic than most cask conditioned beers I've tried. Mandarin slice citrus notes are also buried in there and help round out the bouquet nicely.

Citrus flavor takes over as the primary characteristic once this hits the palate. Funny part is that as citric as this beer is it doesn't come off that fruity and not sweet at all, I know that's somewhat of a contradiction in terms but it's my observation so I'm leaving it in my review. On the the aftertaste the piney, resinous, sticky, and slightly oily taste returns.

I'm typically a notoriously slow drinker but this, like most cask ale was so drinkable I got it done in a hurry. More cask conditioned American IPA's please!

4.6/5  rDev +6%

First let me say that drinking a Port in the bottle shop was an awesome time. I didn't think venturing into the restaurant would prove to be a better experience and then I had this beer.

Unmistakable hazy IIPA color, incredible hop aroma, like being smack with a handful of hops. Not sure what to add other than this beer was the best I had in CA, I wish I could get it here.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Much thanks to BeerRun13 and GIF 8 for the growler of this!!

Poured a deep orange amber with a huge white head that lingered for a good while, leaving behind some freakishly good lace throughout the entire glass.

The smell of strong pine, and I mean Strong! With grapefruit and pineapple hints, this is Hop Heave for the nose....

And that followed right to the mouth, BANG!! Huge hops right up front, no turning back on this one! Strong pine and citrus again, no balancing here, and none wanted or needed, a true DIPA in very sense of the word!

Highly carbonated and very fresh, I could drink this all night, in fact I plan too! If this were local to me I would be in trouble. The Alcohol is very well hidden here, but if you can't handle the hops don't even try it, as for me....Bring it on!

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Served from a growler filled at Pizza Port Carlsbad that is just under two weeks old (and still really fresh tasting).

A: Great slightly cloudy rich amber color with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves some lacing around.

S: Fresh, citric hops. And quite a few at that. This is one of those beers where you just know you're in for a treat.

T: Tons and tons of fresh hops here. Leans way toward the citrusy side - lots of grapefruit and lemon...wonderful. Basically nothing in the way of piny hops, and that's fine by me. Malt is back there, but only serves to showcase these delicious hops. Yum.

M: Good carbonation level to keep it somewhat lively, with a nice amount of hop juice stickiness. Nice.

D: Oh man, this is drinkable. If I could have a keg of this on tap at all times, I would be a truly happy man.

Highly recommended. This is a good San Diego DIPA (or San Diego Pale Ale, as many like to call it). Go now. Pick this up. Crack it open. And enjoy.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Cask-conditioned and dry-hopped with Amarillo hops and pumped by hand into a pint glass an orange-amber ale with a slight tint of red and a small bubble off-white head that disappered to a sticky lace. Some good size bubbles in the mild carbonation.

Smells nice and hoppy, some pine and some citrus, not a whole lot of sweetness here.

Pretty citrus like from the start,then it turn a bit piney and puckery that thins back to citrus, mostly of grapefruit and finishes bitter and hoppy. This is not as piney as many of the local Double IPA's i've been tasting lately, but the IBU's in this hop brew are plentiful...it quenches and then it puckers.

Big body with a sharp hop profile, but doesn't have that biting pine sap over the top hop-bomb flavor to it...a very pleasant change here at "hop-central".

As far as drinkability, it was my birthday yesterday so myself, my girlfriend and my parents went to O'B's Pub for this brew...My mom and girlfriend hated it...my dad and I were in hop heaven!

Pretty much a hop-head pleaser, as most Double IPA's are...go figure!

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks, Matt.

Pale clear gold, nicely carbonated with a tall lasting head. The nose is incredibly dank and herbal; marijuana and fresh herbs, evergreen, cut grass. It's borderline vegetal but really nice. Malt is completely hidden. The palate has a similarly huge hop flavor, extremely green, resiny, herbal - the hop flavor is almost overwhelming. Light bodied with completely disguised alcohol. This is an extremely dry beer, but not aggressively bitter in the finish. Sappy, resiny flavors stick to the tongue in the finish. Delicious stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this again on 6/29....

Aroma was BOOMING.... great stuff... incredibly floral... but didn't really alter my perception of the rest of this.... So "smell" was adjusted up but the rest remains the same

Original Review:

Pours a bright gold with a thin, but tenacious head.

A big tangerine flavor and a note of the same in the aroma.

Slightly sweet... present, but a pleasant drying touch, even slightly astringent as it warms. Sweetness lingers slightly. A mild vegetal/earthy note is present.

Crisp for a double, distinctly effervescent.

Delicious, if not incredibly exciting... could use a slightly bigger nose, which would bring out the flavor more. Flavor profile is spot on, and this is almost refreshing with the sweetness being in check and the slightly high carbonation level. I'd happily drink this again, but I'd be more excited to see the Doheny Double on tap.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This is one of my favorite beers without a doubt. Full hop profile with citrus floral and piney notes. This current batch has an awesome fruity aroma that invites you to drink.

This beer tasted great cold and warm which is a tough act. How does your beer get warm? When your buddy is bugging you about his major life decisions and is expecting too much listening on your part.

I had this the first day it came on tap a couple of days ago and now today at lunch and I don't know of a better ipa being made at this time.

Yes, a bold statement but I believe it true. I drink alot of ipa and from many different brewers and this is the shizzle.

i

Thanks to Ehammond1 for sharing this growler

Look: Yellowish orange in color with a 1/4 inch head and just ok retention

Smell: Lots of fruits in the nose grapefruit and apricots stand out to me

Taste: Similar to the the nose with lots of fruits in the flavor especially citrus fruits. The beer had just an ok balance of hop to malt ratio

Mouthfeel: Medium to low body and medium carbonation and just a bit dry

Overall: Good IPA with a great drinkability goes down crisp and clean

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Alex for bringing this growler to Sean's 30th Birthday Extravaganza. Served in a snifter.

Dank. Really dank. Pours a nice orange-copper color with a large off-white head. Really thick and creamy and leaves some really nice lacing on the way down. The nose carries loads of dank hops along with some pine and a bit of citrus. No malt to speak of. The flavor hits the same notes. Lots of bitterness with a great, great hop flavor. This one really blew me away and was another fantastic edition to an already-great beer day. Medium body with a fantastic bitterness after a dry finish. Probably could have consumed this whole growler by myself. Outstanding.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at FFF brewpub.

Mmmm.
Pours a golden color with a frothy white head... Nice chunky spots of lacing form on the borderlands of huge sheets of lace curtains. Respectable retention.

Smells giantly hoppy. West coast style for sure-- addict notes of grapefruit and pine. Virtually no malt. I like it like that!
Taste follows suit-- slight crackery malt with huge pine bitterness and grapefruit/citrus flavors. The bitterness lingers and loiters, giving my tastebuds the finger as they scorch the earth of my palate.

The body is medium full with solid carbonation-- prickly and dry feel.

Overall, I must point out that I am AT Three Floyds right now and I am drinking my 2nd glass of this! It really is very good... I think I may have been slightly more impressed with the growler, but this is incredible nonetheless.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at PP - Cbad this past Saturday night.
Place was packed.

A: Pours a super clear golden straw pale hue. My glass had just a tiny thin layer of bubbles for a head and some oh so sticky lacing.

S: Nice bouquet of fruity hop aromas - mango and pineapple mostly. Pick up some fruity yeast notes in it as well.

T: A hopsplosion of fruity pineapple and mango flavors. Sticky greens, resinous pine...so good. Malt is virtually nonexistant. Yet residually sweet - sustaining the hops. Bitters pucker punch the palate a bit drying things out. Just begs you to take another hit. This is the chronic.

M: Very light in body for DIPA standards which I love. Creamy texture with a crisp and refreshing finish. Slight cottonmouth effect from the hops. And ABV's coming through some.

D: Supreme drinkability. In fact this brew lends itself to having another sip. So light and refreshingly hoppy.

You like hops? Go to the Port and get yourself some Poor Man's. Probably one of my top rated IPA's and when freshly tapped at the Brewpub it's pretty damn hard to beat!
Snoogens

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Growler filled at PP Carlsbad and shared with friends on Sunday afternoon.

A: The pour is a hazy goldenrod color with a fluffy white head.

S: Amazing citrus and tropical fruit notes. There is a ton of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and orange, along with a mild pine aroma. This is very reminiscent to some of the other great west coast IPAs.

T: Pretty much what you would expect from this beer considering the nose. A very fruity DIPA with quite a bit of sweetness, but at the same time, a very refreshing bitterness to it on the finish.

M: The body is medium to full and there's a fairly high level of carbonation.

D: The beer doesn't taste or smell overly boozy, but you can definitely get a gauge for its strength after enjoying a couple pours. Still, a delicious beer and one that I would have again.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%

App: Light amber with 1/2 finger head. It's a little hazy as if there's some yeasties floating around in there.

Smell: Gives off a wonderful array of hops: Perfume, fruitloops and some different sweet flowers come to the nose for a party.

Taste: Fresh hops and flowers with a slight malty backbone. If it had more alcohol the lack of balance would be a problem, but the hops shine on this one. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but not overwhelming, despite being bitter throughout the whole palate.

Drinkability: It's nice, and would probably be amazing on cask, but is still nicely drinkable on tap.

Poor Man's Double IPA from Pizza Port Solana Beach