Yiga's Revenge I.P.A. - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

American IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: dbalsock on 01-25-2007

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Picked up a growler for New Year's. Pours clear gold with orange highlights. Medium-sized white head, creamy, good lacing. Perfumey aroma, mostly grapefruit and pineapple, some lemongrass, with a lesser amount of pine. Taste was clean. Very hoppy; resiny flavor without the stickiness. Nice strong citrus bite, grapefruit again, but with more lemon/orange than in the nose. Kind of veggie/wood middle. The lack of a caramel malt sweetness was satisfying and a welcome change. Nice mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Easily polished off the growler, so it was drinkable. Loved it.

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a three finger tan head that settles to a fluffy persistent layer. Liquid is cloudy bright gold-rust. Smells grassy hay earthy hop flavor with some oranges. A bit of a musty character I find in rye beers.

Tastes hoppy with candy sweetness. Oranges, apricot, peaches over a smidge of caramel. Earthy and full of hop oils with sime orange pithy character. Alcohol comes in late with a gentle and sharp sting to close things out. Hop oil is heavy in the mouth, but can't quite tame the sweetness. Light carbonation didn't help. Medium body and thick mouthfeel kept the sweet on the tongue too much.

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Golden amber with 1/2 finger of white head. It has nice lacing, but it's a pretty standard look for an IPA.

Smell: This was kind of different than other IPA's I've had lately. The hops manifest themselves as rose perfume and another perfumey scent that's flowerlike, but I don't know the name for it.

Taste: Again rose perfume comes through and is accompanied by something that reminds me of bay berry (maybe even juniper). The malt base is subtle but enough to provide some balance. It finishes with more foresty/woodsy hops and some grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: It's quite bitter, but in a sharp way, making it very interesting to drink. Light bodied and not much to talk about except the sharp bitter character.

Drinkability: I immediately reordered this after my first pint (and that's not something I do often). Usually I switch up my beers during the night, but this is something I could stay with. It's very easy to throw back, and I found it to be more relaxed than other IPA's while not being boring.

Yiga's Revenge I.P.A. from Pizza Port Solana Beach
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.