Follow our progress ...

Added by sessycuban on 07-20-2007

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by sessycuban:
3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

Served on tap at Pizza Port Solana Beach. As far as I know, this is a summer release, but I could be wrong.

A: The beer pours a coffee dark brown. The beer has very minimal head, but it laces well.

S: Strong coffee notes; the malts seem to overpower this stout.

T: I keep using the word coffee because that's what I keep getting here. The stout is very malty, agreeably so.

M: This is the only aspect of the beer that didn't strike me so well. It's very light bodied for a stout, and dare I say, a bit watery. I would've preferred if the beer was a bit more creamy.

D: Since the beer is very light for a stout, one can easily drink this brew without having ruinous effects to one's palate. Since I don't know how long they plan on keeping this beer around, I recommend one try it.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Tap at Solana Beach. Black pour with a short tan head. Dense aroma of coffee, roasted malt, cream, chocolate cake, and burnt oil. Velvet mouthfeel. Bitter in the best way; bittersweet chocolate, burnt coffee, mild tobacco and leather. Finish is a turn to the sweet, almost like a chocolate milkshake, but drier. Great beer.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Consumed from draft at Pizza Port Solana Beach 10/13/07.

Beer is very dark brown (virtually black) with minimal head.

Aroma is roasty-toasty coffee. Palate is surprisingly thin with little carbonation.

Flavor is mainly roasted malt, offset by an almost citrusy sourness. Sourness is not a flaw in stout, but the acidity and citrus character of this sourness is unusual. Might be the hops? If so, then that would be the only trace of hops I noted.

Astringent finish that lingers a long time on the mid tongue.

Not one of my favorites, though agreeably different than the run of the mill.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Stunna Shade Stout from Pizza Port Solana Beach
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.