Hot Rocks Lager - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Hot Rocks LagerHot Rocks Lager

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

Euro Dark Lager |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 03-17-2009)

Quite the surprise, this one. I work at Bevmo (this is either a 'hate me' or 'love me' job, I know) and we had a rep from Pizza Port come in and sample some of his wares. This was one of them. On initial taste I was pleased. It was one of the darker lagers I've had. I enjoyed it and thought I'd get a couple bottles.

When I got home I was unbelievably impressed. Great pour, great smell, amazing head (how many times are we actually able to say that in our lives?). It was rich, malty, hoppy, and dark. Honey, dark caramel, chocolate, fall leaves and burnt hay. Just fantastic.

SeanPFarley, Jun 11, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint glass at Estelle's.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a dark brown black color with no vision of anything. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Toffee, caramel, chocolate, lager yeast, and grassy hops.

Taste: Same as above with mild bitterness in the rear.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light to medium bodied, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: For a EDL, I enjoyed it. I'll revisit thus again.

Flounder57, Jun 03, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +20%

afsdan, May 27, 2014
4.46/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the best lagers I have ever tasted, I only sought this after seeing it being made on the Beer Geeks TV show. Great on tap at the brewery, where I was told I would not be able to find it in bottle shops. Heh - that may have been true in SD, but in LA, I tracked a couple down. Still tasty as hell.

DaveAnderson, May 27, 2014

Tucquan, May 24, 2014

sbanacho, May 24, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

Latarnik, May 23, 2014

bkwhoppa66, May 16, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

this beer is disgusting. i love the idea, but the execution is appalling really. granted, my bottle had a little date on it, and may have deteriorated some, but i cannot imagine a great beer ever lived in here. sticky brown caramel color with some tan suds. the nose is sweet malt, but not fresh and harvest grainy, but more a euro extract thing, like a home brewers extract. no hops at all in nose or taste, but thats there least of the worries here. the flavor is an acrid funk that turns into unfermented sweetness. old taffy and gum and gross fair candy come to the forefront, behind stale grain and other off flavors. hard to believe this is rated as high as it is. thick and textured for a lager, although carbonation is fine. the price is right on some of these port bombers, but as much as midnight expression made my day for being so awesome and cheap, this one turned me right back off. if you can make older viscosity, you can do better than this.

StonedTrippin, May 11, 2014

GraduatedCashew, Feb 24, 2014

random846, Feb 20, 2014

bostonryan, Feb 14, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pokal glass. Bottled March or August? 13th 2013.

A nice dark walnut brown body, capped with a good tall four finger and very even soapy head. Lots of retention and a big creamy tan cap of foam in there on top, with some clumpy lacing to match. Some clarity from the head below but pretty dark and somewhat opaque. Very nice looker.

Some interesting qualities. Some tannic nut and spicy hop. A little bit of caraway rye like bread and spicy character too. Sort of almost reminds me of a brown 'ale' in a way. Some milk chocolate to match also. Interesting combination.

Interesting palate. Very nicely carbonated, some mineral earth Perrier hinting like water fizz but not with a water body, as it seems chocolate malt mixes in and coats nicely. Very clean finish, but also incredibly fleeting, with a very forward front tasting palate. Hints at schwarzbier coffee a bit but more chocolate than roasting bean. Light mouthfeel makes for easy drinkability also.

A real interesting refreshing take on a lager, and quite fun too. Very nice.

smakawhat, Jan 28, 2014