Swami's IPA - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Swami's IPASwami's IPA

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-22-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

06-18-2014 06:16:30 | More by Gregsmythwvu
Rumrunner

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Pint glass

I think you can guess this went down really nicely.
Swamis IPA on cask. Life is good.

Pours a deep golden amber. Good head with retention and awesome lacing. Scents were definately hoppy. Some citrus and rind. A nice malt finish on the nose. Dry carbonation scent as well.

Flavors aplenty. I think the cask helps out the malt on this one. The hops are definately dominant but it has a decent malt flavor in the background. Strong grapefruit give it a nice bitter bite. A very nice malt finish.

A medium bodied IPA. A little heavier in mouthfeel than other IPA's. As the flavors build there is a dry smooth finish.

I love this IPA. It was a treat to have it on cask. I have had it from the tap and that is also phenomenal.

I had two while I was there and if I did not have to leave I would be well beyond two by now.

Serving type: cask

08-18-2003 05:19:41 | More by Rumrunner
jmac11420

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A : Lots of head. A great Beautiful, golden yellow. Lots of head when poured from the can. Very thick three finger, egg shell colored head. Very long retention with small bubbles. Crystal clear with loads of carbonation. Perfect.

S - Very hoppy, floral, citrus, and pine. As good as it gets!

T - Perfectly sweet but crisp, dry, and very hoppy.

M - Light and great carbonation. Super fresh

O - Great deal for a six pack of 16oz cans. A classic west coast IPA.

01-30-2014 02:41:35 | More by jmac11420

BigBlueShep

06-30-2014 13:18:01 | More by BigBlueShep
rails

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

It's the West Coast Heady Topper so dank and juicy. If you hold it up to the light you'll see all the hop resin that's the stuff that coats your mouth in Dankness. Such a great beer I still prefer Blind Pig & Nelson but its still a top 5 ipa for me. The only weak spot to me is the nose is not super dank and fruity.

05-25-2014 21:29:37 | More by rails
Omer4176

05-03-2014 22:51:22 | More by Omer4176
bigcat101

01-17-2014 01:11:31 | More by bigcat101
Tdizzle

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass. Canned on 4/7/14.

A - A moderate pour yields a clear golden hue with a billowing head of white foam. Webs of lacing cling to the glass with each sip. A thick cap of soapy foam remains atop the beer for the entire duration. Lots of tiny hop particles float throughout the beer.

S - Big, clean notes of tropical fruit, citrus, and melon rind prevail. Mildly piney, a bit herbal, and slightly dank. Clean ale yeast and some malty sweetness balance the multitude of hop aromas. Fantastic.

T - Clean, puckering, juicy bitterness blankets the palette. A nice crackerish malt backbone peaks through to balance the flavor before the hop bitterness kicks back in. Finishes dry and pleasantly bitter.

M - Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation. Slightly oily and slick for a single IPA, but still finishes dry enough to leave you looking forward to the next sip.

O - A quintessential California IPA. Balanced, but still intensely hop-forward. My new go-to 6-pack.

04-21-2014 04:50:05 | More by Tdizzle
TastefulNudity

4.65/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in a six-pack of tallboys. I should mention I purchased this beer 5 days (!!!) after the canning date. Not obscenely expensive when you factor in the amount of beer you get for your money.

A: I'll admit, it's not the best looking beer ever. Pours a clear, golden yellow with a fair amount of white head that sticks around for a bit.

S: This beer shines here. Caramel sweetness, citrus, tropical fruit, melon. This is an awesome beer to smell, even straight out of the can (I've had it both ways)

T: Starts with that spicy, tropical bitterness that fades in to a smooth mellow malt sweetness. Solid west coast IPA with a nice malt bill to back it up.

M: Long, bitter finish. Good carbonation for the style, cleans up the sweet and finishes dry.

O: I feel like this beer is underrated. I found the last six pack in the store, and to be honest I never cared for Pizza Port/Port Brewing/Lost Abbey. At this price I can afford to drink this one, it's tasty, and it may just be my new go-to six pack. Cheers.

04-30-2014 06:19:20 | More by TastefulNudity
ottobon100

4.65/5  rDev +14%

This is my favorite IPA. Hoppy and smooth. Fantastic smell, great looking amber beer. I live on the East coast so I don't get to Solana Beach/San Diego as often as I would like but I always end up here sitting outside, people watching, with their pizza and drinking Swami's IPA.

04-13-2003 09:20:20 | More by ottobon100
woodychandler

4.53/5  rDev +11%

I had mine at Downtown Johnny Browns.

It arrived with only wisps for head but with a stunning clarity in a deep-amber beer. The nose was heavenly! It had a beautiful floral aspect, but muted at the same time. Letting it warm just a bit made it smell like I had rubbed fresh hops in my palms. Oily, floral, even a little fruity. Mouthfeel tended to the thin side, but the slick, oily feeling that I got on the tongue more than made up for it. Finish was beautifully, lingeringly hoppy. Damn! I refuse to move back to the Left Coast, but they have fantastic beer.

Serving type: cask

12-22-2009 22:51:24 | More by woodychandler
PHBoiler

4.53/5  rDev +11%

I only poured a sip into a glass to get a look at it and it was a nice golden hue with good head retention. I crushed the rest of this right from the can. Holy drinkability. You can get a nice citrus/pine scent right out of the can but nothing overly perfumy. This IPA is absolutely delicious and underrated. It's as good as any 16 oz IPA can in the Midwest I'll say that. It drinks so smoothly. I'd have this in my fridge quite often if available. Super fresh thanks to a great trade partner too.

01-16-2014 14:58:04 | More by PHBoiler
64vdub

4.51/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man, this is some good stuff! It's a lot better than a 90 pt beer for sure. It's a bit plain smelling on the nose, but the taste is there! For the hop lover. Right there in my top five DIPA's. It really is a great beer, and I can agree, the Heady of the West Coast. Thanks Pizza Port!

05-25-2014 23:32:36 | More by 64vdub