Frank Double IPA - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Frank Double IPAFrank Double IPA

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-07-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle. Poured a darker, cloudy amber color with a smaller off white head. Aromas of pine, citrus, and grapefruit. Nice hoppy aroma. Tastes of oranges, malts, and sweet fruits. Nice balance (lightly sweet and bitter at the same time). Clean and dry finish. Alcohol well hidden. Another great West Coast IIPA. Big thanks to DarkElf for trading me this one.

Notes from 3/25/05

4.15/5  rDev -7%

Pours light copper and hazy with very little head to speak of. Smell is of pine trees and sweet citrus, like fresh sweet oranges. Carbonations is very mild, which is nice so it does not compete with the flavors. More pine and sweet citrus in the taste as well as an interesting peach flavor. Bitter finish is not overpowering, but just right for me. Thank you orbitalr0x.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Light brick in color. Heavily hoppy and lovely aroma with big resin, grapefruit and pine notes and hints of nectarine, peach and caramel. Soft malt body (caramel, biscuit) with big and outrageous, yet balanced hops. Notes of pine, grapefruit and lemon and a strong hint of amarillo (although I could be wrong) with a pleasant and lingering finish.

4.28/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had the pleasure of tasting Frank a few times thanks to fdrich29, orbitalr0x and AKSmokedPorter...once it was shared with me, the other I shared...this one is all mine.
A clear light copper color with a half a finger of bright white head...impressive lacing.
Not over the top in the smell at first whiffs...a well balanced malt/hop ratio with enough of each to pull me right in.
Ok, so the taste is definitely about the hops...piney, resiny hops that roll over the pallet so smoothly that it is hard to stop drinking.
Enough malt sweetness to counteract the bitterness, making this one as balanced in the flavor as it is in the nose.
Alcohol is totally hidden in the taste...just a warming feeling that comes over you halfway thru the offering.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is heavenly...I would get in serious trouble if I had too many of these in my possession.
Too bad Frank is not with us any longer...I will miss him dearly.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Frank, of why have you gone.

Tangerine/Nectarine with a sopay head of white that bubbles up big and lasts a bit. Aromas of fresh rindy in your face palate blowing hops of different varieties. The meld is good with the caramel malt playing sherrif but the hop varietels come through a bit muddled on the palate. Piney and resiny and delicous on the tongue with a mouth stripping enamal crushing bitterness leading through to a maltier bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel is acrid but awesome, leafy and luxurious! Drinkability is awesome! When fresh this was one of the best. The aged bottles flying around are starting to show their age...but who cares...the hopsuey is even better!

This poured to a murky orange and yellow with only a tiny ring of head. It's not leaving any lace.

Hops dominate the smell, with grapefruit and floral flavors taking center stage, and a hint of pine finishing the job. Malt content is fairly big. There's obviously a lot of hops in here, but they're not coming out as expected. Especially considering the smell, bitterness seems lacking in the mouth. Drinkability is very good.

4.95/5  rDev +11%

This is one of the best imperial IPA’s. HUGE, HUGE aroma of grapefruits, and citrus zest. The aroma of this beer is its greatest attribute. It’s like walking through a field of simcoe hops with the fresh malty morning dew dripping from the cones. Yes, it is that good. And if you think it couldn’t get better, the taste is almost exactly as you could imagine. In no other instance have I smelled a beer that so accurately represented the taste. Pungent citrusy hops explode in your mouth balanced by a caramelly sweet malty backbone. Bitterness is very clean and almost subtle for this style. 100 IBU’s sounds like a lot but this beer plays it out well. Mouth feel is oily from the hoppy goodness. Any presence of alcohol is barely detected. This is one damn fine brew.

4.15/5  rDev -7%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with kmpitz2. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a frothy 3/4" beige head over the clear honey amber brew. Head fades but holds its own, with average lacing of small bubbles and such. Aroma is piney fruity hops. Taste is sweet malts, quickly overcome by the predominant hoppiness, which is not quite as strong as I expected. This is probably due to age of the bottle, since I think they have stopped brewing this one. Still, the slight dampening of the hops character makes the mouthfeel smooth and less prickly than DIPAs sometimes are, and drinkabilty is very nice as well. Have to gets me more of these PP brews...

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer is sort of murky and reddish gold, not exactly what I was expecting. Although there appears to be good carbonation there isn't much head on this either. The aroma is a big hit of hops, very citrusy sweet with a touch of woodsy pine. The sip is awesome... big bitterness slams the tongue, slaps it silly, and then fades really fast. The bitterness is replaced with a little sweetness and then there is a resiny finish that lingers for a while, how long I couldn't tell you because I am too eager for the next sip. There is almost a warmth in my stomach like I am taking sips of brandy or something, simply sensational! Great body on this also. Dangerously drinkable, really. I understand this will probably not be available any more due to a changing of brewers, absolute shame if it's true.
Super huge thanks to Hoppedup for this opportunity as part of BIF 24, if I had recieved nothing else but this it would have been worth it.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

Grabbed a Pint from Pizza Port C-Bad, They were down to they're last keg of Frank and they won't be making anymore, ever! Naturally I had to have one.

Poured a cloudy rust color, nice off white fizzy head. Nice carbonation.

Great hoppy scent.

Great mouth feel, kind of thick. Pretty sweet taste, nice bitter finish full of citrus, sticks on the palate. It's really good, but the sweetness makes it a little less drinkable to me. A little unbalanced, but still very good.

Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev -4%

I got this beer at Pizza Port Solana Beach. It is the last keg they will ever have since the brewer left, and took the recipe with him. All three Pizza Port locations had a keg saved for Halloween. It was $13 for a logo 25 oz mug that you can keep. It was called Frank in Stein. I am sad to see this beer go.
It pours a cloudy orange with a very thin white head. The head fades fast leaving very few laces. It has a very hoppy aroma. It smells grassy, and slightly piney. I can detect a slight citrus aroma also. This beer has a grapefruit like taste. The hops are very present in the flavor. It tastes citrusy and piney. This beer is full bodied. it goes down smooth leaving a grassy aftertaste. Due to the quite aggressive flavoe, this beer might not make a great session beer. Also, although you can not detect it, the alcohol content is a little high. I thought this beer was quite refreshing. Like I said, I am very sad to know that I might never get another chance to try this beer again.

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

Stubby 12oz. bottle with screened graphics. Huge thanks to AKSmokedPorter for parting with one of these, and to HoppedUp for sharing his hard-to-acquire supply.

Pours a murky...cloudy dull honey-orangish in color. Scant, almost non-present layer of white head. Barely any lacing of the glass. Teensy amount of escaping gas when I popped the cap. Nose? Holy crikey. A hop-head's wet dream this one is. All sorts of green leafy hops soaked in pine oil and drizzled with sugary citrus juice, with a twist (and a BIG one at that) of grapefruit juice for good measure. Suprised was I with the first taste. VERY sweet up front, and is quickly balanced and somewhat overtaken by the hops explosion. The hop influence never gets out of hand...rather it feels like it is tugging and straining at the malt leash. A delicate balance that favors the bitterness. Finish sees a prickly carbonation "fizz" mixed with a honey-sugary sweet phase that slowly fades into a bitter oily pine resin on your palate. ABV is cloaked in everything going on with this beer. Not as big and chewy as expected, but it's so well-balanced that it doesn't need to be. Carbonation level is just right, adding a little bubbly to the mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable, though I savored every drop of this rare gem. A gem and one I'll remember for a L-O-N-G time.

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a very light peach color with a finger of head that falls to a slight ring around the top. I expected this to be a lot darker...more copper. Nose is nice and brilliant. Good amounts of sweet citrusy hop and back notes of pinyness. Notes of orange and caramel sit behind the hops. Flavor is nice as well. Very fruity and full of citrusy hop flavor with an incredible balance in the malty caramel sweetness to hop bitter ratio. The bitter is so smooth and really keeps this beer highly drinkable. Feel is moderate to thick with a very light carbonation. Drinkability is huge. No hint at all of 8.1% anywhere. Very smooth. Even quaffable, if it is possible for such a big beer. Flavors are so well melded together. I'm already anticipating tasting this one again.

3.9/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a cloudy orange color with almost no head and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is all hops - grassy and pine mostly. Can't really detect any malts in the aroma. The flavor is very much the same as the aroma. Completely hops that leave a bitter finish on the tongue, but I think they used a different type of hops for the flavor - it has a lot of grapefruit and citrus with just a little of the pine and grassiness. The body is moderate on this one and the drinkability depends on your liking of lots of hops. If you're not a hop head, the drinkability will be poor. But it's a good beer.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

Frank is almost dead -- good thing I snagged this 4 pack of 12oz bottles from Carlsbad before they ran out. I've had Frank on tap before but I've never reviewed it (probably from being a bit too inebriated to remember)

Golden orange, with a nice bit of foamy head after a hard pour. Glorious hop nose is all west coast. This DIPA is a juicy hop citrus handshake to the tongue. It's not really a bomb as it doesn't really shock my tastebuds. Hop flavor is high but the hop bitterness isn't that high and it doesn't linger. Smooth. Great balance with malt, while not becoming cloying with lots of caramel. Really, this is a DIPA in the mold of Pure Hoppiness, Pliny and Racer X -- hoppy and bitter and juicy. Big but not chewy or cloying.

Overall: Sad to see Frank go by the wayside as a new Pizza Port brewer takes over, but I'm dying to see the next incarnation.

Significantly hazy, tropical sunset-like, burnished orange-copper with beautiful honey toned highlights. A milkshake-thick crown of orangish ecru looks great atop the beer. A necklace of thick lace is beginning to appear at the upper edge of the glass as the cap slowly gives way. Copious amounts of crustiness are visible when the glass is finally empty and I've exited my hopnarcotic haze. Calling the appearance 'outstanding' would not be an overstatement.

The nose is pure hoppy bliss. Powerful and pungeant, it's a fruity cornucopia that includes white grapefruit, sweet orange, pineapple and passionfruit. Hard to tell (by the aroma at least) if this beer contains any malt at all. My guess is yes. This is the best-smelling beer that I've had in a good, long while and is easily in my all-time top ten. Perfection.

Frank Double IPA is as good as I'd hoped it would be. I've used this comparison before, but it epitomizes the best characteristics of the better of (what I consider to be) the two types of DIPAs. It's the hopped-to-the-gills IPA rather than the significantly malty, and therefore balanced, almost barleywine-like version of the style. There's still a considerable amount of malt present, but it knows enough to stay out of the way and allow the hops to get on with the business at hand. Namely, clobbering my palate with a juicy juggernaught of sweet, sticky, resiny goodness.

Sweet and bitter engage in a death-defying struggle for control, with bitter winning out in the end: just how I'd draw it up. Exquisite use of hops. Whatever varieties were utilized in the brewing have been added in the perfect amount, both individually and relative to one another. The flavor profile has everything that I look for in a huge IPA (which is how I prefer to think of it) and I'm amazed anew each time I take a drink that any beer can taste this good.

There's a modest amount of brown sugary sweetness and pine/spruce makes a cameo, but it's all about the citrus fruit, from beginning to interminably lingering end. To hell with drinkability, this beer has gulpability, ABV be damned (I've got to slow down, my glass is nearly sucking fumes). The body is everything that I could want and more. Full and velvety viscous, it clings to my mouth and tongue, allowing my to revel in the fantastic flavor long after the beer has left my mouth. Luxuriant is one of an innumerable number of complimentary adjectives that come to mind.

Pizza Port's Frank Double IPA is an amazing beer. I would never chug it from the bottle, but the layover in my pint glass was of shockingly short duration. Bombers of this mega-hoppy nectar ought to be mandatory, though I'd settle for a few dozen cases of 12 oz. bottles. Flabbergastingly good!

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I've been lusting after this brew for quite some time and I'm excited to finally try it. Pours from the silkscreened stubby bottle a dark orange with a two finger head of billowy creamy white foam. Sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. I can already smell the hops from two feet away. Aromas are a sensous blast of citrusy, piney hop resins. Candy coated green leafy goodness. Sweet candy caramel background. Pineapple, peach, orange, grapefruit. Simply lovely....I could bask in its aroma all night.

First sip brings a wave of rich citrusy, slightly piney hops. Tropical fruit flavors weave in and out with notes of pineapple, peach and orange. A nice sweet candied caramel maltiness asserts itself in the background and does a great balancing act with the wall of hops. Sticky lacing lingers everywhere after each sip. There's a wonderful interplay between the sweetness and the hop bitterness here that really makes this DIPA shine. The rich, resiny green hops hit every tastebud on my palate and cause me to envision picking and chewing on fresh hops right off the vine. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and some wonderful hop burps. One of the best DIPA's to cross my lips.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly viscous. Mellow carbonation dances across the palate and this one goes down smooth while still asserting its presence. Drinkability is seriously off the charts. If I had any access to this brew at all I'd be hoarding it like a crack addict. Ranks up there with Dreadnaught as my favorite DIPA yet sampled. The brewers at Pizza Port Carlsbad deserve high praise for this one..as does mentor for allowing me the opportunity to sample this lovely hoppy nectar.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured a hazy orange gold color with a small off white head, that left no lacing on the glass. Strong citrus, piney, grapefruit hop aroma. Bitter hops, citrus fruits, and light alcohol in the finish. Very nice IIPA punch. This was awesome, I really like these west coast IIPAs!!

4.95/5  rDev +11%

Lucky for me, Dad brought home a few of these on his last trip to San Diego....

Poured a nice goldeny-orange - kind of like the carrot/corn soup I made to go with it. A little cloudy, or thick looking...very large lace and almost perfect archtypal DIPA appearance.

Smell- Damn near knocked me out - I could have sat and sniffed this for days. Seriously! I can't say enough about the great wafting odors coming off this brew...very citrusy, yet not all citrus. Made me think of being in a workshop and helping my friend's son build a racer for Boy Scouts - pine pine pine! That and man, does it reek of dank buds under the pine and citrus. Kind of like AK-47 meets Syracuse Orange meets Northern Lights...lol! Not that I'd know anything about that...

One of the more complex beers I've ever had, and the taste is a large part of that. This one isn't ALL about the hops, although they do play a major role. The taste sort of catapults from one thing to the next, and I am anxious to see what else I pick up from the one other bottle I have to try. Sweet malt backbone, there, but not overpowering. A little alchohol in here, but also barely present.

Mouthfeel- very nice, maybe a little heavy on carbonation, but very nice all the same. Almost hangs on your tongue, not wanting to let go....

If Pizza Port would make it for me, I'd place it on tap at home and be happy the rest of my life - how's THAT for drinkability?!?

Ahhh, Frank's has set a new standard for DIPA's in my mind. The epic battle between Tommy and Vinnie for domination and loyalty of my tastebuds seems to never cease...I'd have it no other way!

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

08/19/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Shipyard pint glass.

Appearance- Nice cloudy golden orange color, hefty 1 inch creamy white head and great chunky lacing. This is what a DIPA should look like.

Smell- Amazing scent of literally hundereds of different things. Maybe the most complex beer I have laid my nose into. Mostly strong citrus hops with lots of woodsy scents. Smells like freshly shaved pine sawdust. Also have some orange peel scent along with a bit of molasses and a pretty big scent of the chronic. Guess there is a bit of hemp in here?

Taste- Taste is very complex, in fact too complex. Besides the citrus and pine hops, you also have some bready malt and tons of other things that I can't describe beacause all the flavors are just mashed together. Not a bad thing, but this beer really confuses your taste buds.

Mouthfeel- Perfect carbonation, slight creamy texture and sweet and sticky.

Drinkability- Wow, pretty intense beer here. A miriad of smells and tastes that throw to taste buds into upheavil. Definitely going to pick up some more of these if I can ever get them again. Funky ass beer to be sure.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a semi clear golden orange with a tall rocky white head. Clingy rings of lace are left coating most of the glass. Hoppy nose as expected with plenty of citric grapefruit and floral hops to be had. Some bitterness was detected as was a good bit of malt sweetness. Nice overall aroma with a bit of balance going for it. Citric hop juicy galore in the flavor with the sweetness that usually accompanies that citric juice taste. There is plenty of bitterness though to fight back the sweetness so that the hops stay on the front line. A bit of pine and some other fruits are there as well. Ends with a bitter grape fruity hop bite. Pretty full and thick feel to this while still remaining quite smooth. Damn good drinkability as well. This is on good DIPA, the bitterness really brings it all together. Thanks goes to Jetsbeer for this great beer.

3.83/5  rDev -14.1%

big thanks OStrungT for a wonderful package, including two of these puppies.

looks awesome.

cloudy, peachy dark orange. dense body attempts to stifle the ehavy carbonation, like a war in the center of the glass. very thin foam with patchy islands on the surface. also a thin but universal coat of lacing on the glass' walls.

aroma is overwhelming with citrusy peach essence of hop. so sweet and spicy, very cali. what i expected in an amplified, mouthwatering fashion. i usually sniff for 15-20 seconds but this beer merits much more nasal enjoyment.

frank is a sweet and pungent hop MONSTER. a malty and sweet body with slight anise and peach liqueur, which sets up a thick carrier for the fresh n tasty hops. the green flower's flavor is not as extreme as i expected, but the heavy grain sweetness pushes this beer into barleywine territory.

complexity is great and sets the scene for a nice sipper. weather is a bit too warm for something that reds my face up like frank.. the next one is in order for a cooler connecticut night.

---~---~---~---> HOPMONSTER!!

4.55/5  rDev +2%

Secret Santa 2004 # 10

Orange gold body with a touch of haze. Fine carbonation bubbles streaming. Airy white head topped by a mountain range above the rim. Very nice dripping lacing. Plus, I like painted bottles.

The grapefruit grove hit my nose from a foot-and-a-half away. Really refreshing to take a good deep inhale on this one.

Taste has a surprise. The malt puts it's sweet foot down early enough to dig a toe hold and actually carry some balance on through the beer. The hops do follow quickly, with a fresh juicey splash which lasts long after each sip has dried up and faded away. Hoppy yes, with a littlebite, though not overpowering bitter.

Good mouthfeel and even better drinkability.

Frankly speaking, this was a damn good beer.

4.95/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to Rumrunner for trading this the beer trade that made this review possible.

Slightly cloudy orange body with pure hite head.
Something fruity and vinous, like peach or nectarines, with orange and earth malts.
Great dry cookie and pine flavors, just hops all over the place. Great balance. Amazing creamy body, refreshing, amazing.
This has to be ambrosia. I cant continue on this review, I need to focus on the pure pleasure this beer brings.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »