Dusk Till Dawn - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Dusk Till Dawn
No picture uploaded.

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

American Porter |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-20-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

abeerdude, Aug 17, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to BMan1113VR for sharing this growler from Pizza Port San Clemente.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is great. I get a ton of coffee, with some chocolate also thrown in. The coffee is also huge in the flavor, with some roasted malt, chocolate and cream notes also thrown in. The coffee is super intense in both the flavor and aroma. Medium to thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, one of the best coffee beers I have ever tried. Very happy I got to try this one.

Mora2000, May 15, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -15%

acurtis, Oct 11, 2013

4nimal, Sep 29, 2014

rhino54, Jul 20, 2012

GRG1313, Sep 29, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks!

Batch 2 brewed with Bird Rock coffee. Hands down, this is the best coffee beer I've had.

Black opaque body topped by a tan crust that settles to a collar. The nose is ridiculously, insanely good. In terms of intensity and depth, this destroys every other coffee beer I've had. It's earthy, toasty and slightly fruity without being acidic or ashy. The coffee brings a ton of depth to the aroma, nearly overwhelming the base beer. There's no hint of alcohol. The body is full, but not syrupy. The palate is roasty with dark chocolate, a touch of molasses, and a ton of amazing coffee flavor. Compared to other coffee beers, it's very espresso-like. They must be using some really high quality stuff here. Overall I couldn't really find fault with this beer, just an amazingly well crafted coffee porter.

largadeer, Jul 29, 2012

ShanePB, Sep 02, 2014

KevSal, Sep 03, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks to Levitation for hooking this up in a trade.

A - A nice looking black beer with a brown/mocha head that rose up about a finger and faded to a solid ring.

S - Had no idea what this beer was when Alex handed me the glass, but the smell just about knocked my socks off. Great earthy, coffee notes that had a touch of unsweetened cocoa. This might be the best coffee aroma I've ever gotten from a beer. No off flavors that can sometimes arise when a coffee brew is attempted. Perfect.

T - Tastes as good as it smells. It manages to capture a thick, cold coffee flavor without having any of the bitterness or other bad flavors you can get when coffee goes cold and stale. A touch of sweetness from cocoa and toffee, but make no mistake, this is a coffee beer through and through. The flavors are rich and deep, but not as sweet as BCBCS. Simply amazing.

M - Full, moderately carbonated, the beer is such a great experience that there's just no complaints once it gets into your mouth.

O - This beer was unbelievable, one of the very best I've ever had. I had no idea it was around 11% ABV either until I was midway into my third glass. Alcohol is dangerously well hidden as I could kill an entire growler of this on my own before passing out. Simply remarkable, no complaints here.

AgentZero, Sep 03, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

On-tap at Pizza Port San Clemente

Pours pretty much black in color with a mocha colored head on it. Intense coffee aroma with lots of molasses, brown sugar, and a hint of licorice. Maybe a touch of vanilla in there, too. Quite a bit of dark chocolate in there as well. The flavor almost has a creamy/milky flavor to it (lactose?). Intense espresso flavor and lots of dark chocolate, molasses, and roast to go with it. Fairly sweet, but the coffee helps to prevent it from being cloying. Really good stuff.

womencantsail, Feb 20, 2012

SocalKicks, Sep 08, 2013

bird22, Jun 03, 2013

Zbeetleman, Jul 09, 2013
4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

Enjoyed at the 2012 Arizona Strong Beer Festival, where it was kept in a secret growler behind the more mundane taps. Poured into a small taster glass.

Dark chocolate brown, opaque except at the edges, where it gives up burnt umber. The head’s the colof and consistency of cappuccino foam.

Pizza port does coffee so well. The brilliant nose is packed with espresso, cream and sugar — it’s like a cappuccino delivered straight to the nasal receptors.

Wow. Deep, dark and slightly spicy espresso in the flavor — sharp and funky in the front. Things smooth out at the swallow, when the beans are met with sweeter dark chocolate, chocolate milk and the lightest hint of dark fruit that somehow takes their edge off. Sweetness carries into the finish. Fantastic.

Medium, pinching carbonation in a creamy body that’s thick and viscous. A tiny bit of fizz breaks out as it moves, and I get a hint of heat — though whether it’s from the coffee or the booze, I can't be sure.

Very, very glad I got to try this brew. It’ may be a little heavy to enjoy with breakfast, but I dig it. It’s so packed with coffee I have a feeling I'll be up from dusk ‘til dawn.

Phelps, Mar 21, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +1.6%

3/4/2012

Growler shared by Carlos, thanks!

A: Black. No surprises here. Inch of beige cream.

S: Dark chocolate and bold coffee notes with accompanying earth. Nuttiness is pronounced. I get a touch of brown sugar. Roasted malt is strong. There's a little molasses. Smells great.

T: Nutty and earthy coffee with roasted grains and a moderate sweetness. The coffee dominates but it's damn good so you won't really care. Dark chocolate is evident throughout.

M: Full body with medium carbonation. Mouthfeel is chewy and viscous.

Overall: A very good coffee porter. Best beer I've had from the new brewer at San Clemente.

*7/23/2012 update* I'm having this on draft at Pizza Port San Clemente. This is the second batch and it uses Bird Rock Coffee rather than Caffe Calabria (first batch) and the beer is fucking delicious. That's all.

HopHead84, Mar 05, 2012

thewimperoo, Apr 29, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

spycow, May 19, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap for the 4th Anniversary event at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and roasted coffee and espresso beans. Taste is much the same with a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some nice aromas and flavors that make it tasty and easy to drink.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 14, 2012

illidurit, Jun 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Chilled growler into a glass. larga "best ____ I've ever had" deer shared a small pour with me and turned me on to it. I happened to pick up a growler of it at Pizza Port San Clemente while in town for a wedding. That's what I'm reviewing here: a glass consumed quietly in my apartment without distractions.

A: Pours a pitch black body with a limp, short-lived head of mocha bubbles. It's basically flat. The growler is about a week old, so maybe it wasn't sealed properly; similar screw-top jugs I've opened have been fine for up to 10 days. Shame on me for not tightening it further at the brewpub, I guess.

S: This has a rich, deep, dark coffee aroma. It rivals my drunken experiment where I tried to "recharge" BCBCS 2010 by steeping it in some dark roast from Blue Bottle. It's fresh, pungent, and overpowering. What I find most impressive is that the beer has only picked up the notes of roast, earth, and berries without any of the ash, acridity, or vegetal notes that some coffee beers exhibit. While strong, the coffee doesn't overpower the base aromas of chocolate and (some) molasses.

T: The great coffee pickup in the nose translates to the taste: it's clean, roasty, earthy, berry-like, but it has no off flavors whatsoever. This is what coffee infusion in beer should do. Hell, I wish I made *coffee* this good, let alone a coffee beer. Roasted malt, chocolate, some molasses, and even light toffee give the beer a sweet body that complements the coffee without being too sweet or rich.

M: Full-bodied. No trace of the ABV. Not rich or syrupy. Can't really find a fault here.

O: I make fun of largadeer for pronouncing everything, even stale mushrooms found underneath his refrigerator, as "the best ___ I've ever had" in some obscure category. But I'm inclined to agree here: I think this is an outstanding coffee porter. Out-fucking-standing. Only thing is that the $36 fill (not including the glass or tip) knocks my happiness down a peg.

Arbitrator, Sep 03, 2012